PDA

View Full Version : What the Heck was THAT?!

TJCeeJay
02-29-2016, 04:10 PM
Howdie all! I have a question for ya's. It's not even remotely boat oriented, but it is Ocean based, so I think I have the best chance of getting a coherent logical answer from this forum.

Okay, here's the deal; about a month ago, I was fishing off my dock at Butedale, on the Inside Passage of BC, Canada, when the ocean "burped". Right on the imaginary line of where the harbor becomes the channel, a large up-welling of water produced an approximately 3 or 4 foot tall "geyser" about 30 feet across. Imagine if you will, that it was like a thousand foot long whale had just let off a blow from a 10 foot diameter blow-hole, about 30 or 40 feet under water; causing a great big foamy waterburst on the surface. But that's not the strangest part. The wave caused by the water upburst began as a coherent rolling whitecapped 3+ foot tall, 30 foot long wave, that traveled to shore at around 15 or 20 kts. And that's the crazy thing; the wave was uni-directional. There was no noticeable waves spreading out in a expanding circle; it was one single 30 foot long wave, travelling in towards shore, and slowly widening as it went.

Here's a couple diagrams I made to give the best representation of what occurred.
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1670/25087886600_f0c5c7cbe6_c.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1594/25358112346_9b73a9ec30_c.jpg

By the time the wave hit the shore, it was probably 100 to 150 or so feet wide, but still tall enough to be curling and breaking as it flowed towards shore. Not even a ripple of water made it to the docks, all the wave energy was directed in once single linear line of travel.

Now, for my thoughts. I figured it might have been an artifact from a very small sub surface landslide, causing the water displacement, and subsequent upburst and uni-directional wave. One thing makes that a bit unlikely though. The water depth at that point is over 300 feet. Could a 300+ foot deep underwater landslip cause such a small localized upwelling directed in a single direction?

And my second possibility is that a submarine nearly breached the surface while traveling underwater. Or for some reason, released a large amount of air from its ballast tanks. (But why would a sub be traveling into the harbor?)

Anyhoo, there ya's have it; my inexplicable experience, and my desire to solve, or at least try to solve, the mystery of the ocean burp.

Cheers!

John of Phoenix
02-29-2016, 04:13 PM
Was it air or water?

Paul Pless
02-29-2016, 04:22 PM
haarp

paulf
02-29-2016, 04:22 PM
"U.S. submarines have been using Nanoose Bay since 1965, when they moved north from the more densely populated waters of Puget Sound," wrote Abbey (http://peacemagazine.org/archive/v15n4p06.htm) in Peace Magazine. "Residents of urban centers like Seattle didn't want the nuclear safety hazards, and Ottawa obliged by signing the 'Canada-U.S. Nanoose Agreement' in 1965."

I think there is a couple of test ranges near you. To fire a torpedo they use compressed air to clear the tubes prior to auto fuel propulsion. Perhaps just clearing or testing the tubes???

Seismic event releasing gas???

Your way the hell up there so I don't know.

Gib Etheridge
02-29-2016, 04:27 PM
Paul Pless was probably diving out there.

So are you the new owner mentioned at the end of this (http://waggonerguide.com/profile-lou-simoneau/) article?

SullivanB
02-29-2016, 04:45 PM
I just recently read Jonathan Raban's Passage to Juneau and based on his depiction of the waters of the Inside Passage, I'd have assumed that unusual, even inexplicable phenomena there were regular occurrences. KOMOGWA!

but speaking of ocean burps, why not?

http://blogs.egu.eu/geolog/2015/09/25/geotalk-talking-about-ocean-burps-with-james-rae/

TJCeeJay
02-29-2016, 05:00 PM
Was it air or water?

From what I could tell. it was entirely water. It raised the surface of the ocean about 3 or 4 feet, in a nearly perfect 30ish foot circle. And the resulting wave traveled only in that one single direction.

So are you the new owner mentioned at the end of this (http://waggonerguide.com/profile-lou-simoneau/) article?

I wish I were! Nope; I replaced Lou as the caretaker in 2013. Seen many a whale breach, watched single whales, and whole groups bubble netting / feeding; but have never seen anything approaching that bizarre water burp.

According to some no so very reliable "news" sources, a couple weeks before the strange incident, the US military were conducting mock beach landings in the Washington State's Puget Sound area. And these exercises were supposed to include the use of mini-subs.

And then again, a week or so before the "big bubble" I had a major flood in the creek at the back of the harbor, that moved many, many, manymanymany tonnes of boulders, rocks, and sand into the harbor.

So I can't decide which is the most viable answer; underwater landslip, or a sub almost surfacing / releasing air from ballast tanks. (Or something else that I haven't the knowledge to add to the possibilities.)

Thanks again, guys!

Gib Etheridge
02-29-2016, 05:22 PM
The only way I can see a submarine producing a one way airless surge like that would be if they were positioned stern to the shore and not too deep and suddenly gave it full throttle.

Well, another way would be if they suddenly realized they were about to collide with the shore and went full astern.

We almost ran into an uncharted mountain halfway across the Atlantic once and made a sudden radical course, depth and speed change that probably caused a fair amount of disturbance up on the surface. It happens.

Do you think a whale just below the surface could do what you saw?

Gib Etheridge
02-29-2016, 05:25 PM
Are you, like Lou, the only resident? Did you inherit the cat? Do you see many bears and wolves in town?

Gib Etheridge
02-29-2016, 06:56 PM
Well, I guess I answered my own question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfPL8nOiKD8

I've spent hours sitting in small boats at just over spitting distance, bear spray in hand, watching the black bears foraging for those little shore crabs under the rocks out on the west side of Vancouver Island. They can move a really big rock like it was nothing!

Might you be Cory Lindsay?

Gib Etheridge
02-29-2016, 06:57 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkwZugCYXC4

TJCeeJay
02-29-2016, 08:40 PM
Are you, like Lou, the only resident? Did you inherit the cat? Do you see many bears and wolves in town?

Yup! Like Lou was, I'm the only resident. (Aside from my dog, Buddy, and Tiger, Lou's cat whom I did indeed inherit.)

Tiger and Bud. Best pals!
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7350/16373251806_6c351c7ec0_c.jpg
You make a good pillow! Y:o

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8711/16709603219_7b1062edb2_c.jpg
You make a god pillow too! BY:D

If you check out my most recent vids on YouTube, you'll see the old arthritic female wolf that adopted me and Bud as her pack; after I assume she was booted from her real pack. I haven't seen her for a week or so, but she was sleeping in the old buildings for a couple weeks. First time I bumped into her, (almost literally; I was about 6 feet from her before I noticed her, and she noticed me,) she was sleeping on Lou's old bed in the cookhouse. After I scooted her out, and closed up that building, she moved to a pile of old clothes in the Bunkhouse. But I was in and out of there too often to suit her, I guess, so she took over Lou's old dog's dog-house. She used that for a week, but then she just vanished as mysteriously as she appeared.

That be me!

Cheers!

TJCeeJay
02-29-2016, 08:55 PM
The only way I can see a submarine producing a one way airless surge like that would be if they were positioned stern to the shore and not too deep and suddenly gave it full throttle.

Well, another way would be if they suddenly realized they were about to collide with the shore and went full astern.

We almost ran into an uncharted mountain halfway across the Atlantic once and made a sudden radical course, depth and speed change that probably caused a fair amount of disturbance up on the surface. It happens.

Do you think a whale just below the surface could do what you saw?

A whale was the first thing I thought of, but I have literally got dozens of hours of footage of whales surfacing in the harbor, and no matter how vigorously the whales surfaced, or breached, I have not seen one produce a wave larger than what would be created by a small boat traveling at like 10 knots. And I actually saw the entire sequence of events from start to finish. It was precisely... Big bulge of water arose 3 or 4 feet from the ocean surface, and collapsed, shoving a 3 or 4 foot tall wall of water 30 feet wide, towards the shore.

I do like the idea you had of a full reverse emergency maneuver. If you look at the chart picture, you'll see that just in advance of the beginning of the projected course of the wave, there is an underwater ridge, extending out from the reef. Perhaps there was a sub traveling past, thought the harbor was a continuation of the channel, then when the mistake was realized, slammed on the "brakes" to avoid the reef. ???:confused:???

I dunno! But I like that idea of yours the best so far! Y>

And I guess it's also possible that it was like you said, a sub maybe positioned stern to shore, and gave the power a goose. The inside passage is ridiculously deep, and it is the main thoroughfare for vessel traffic travelling the West Coast of Canada; so it's not beyond the realm of possibilities that a sub was near the surface on the edge of the harbor, then dove deeper with increased thrust. That would probably produce the exact phenomena I saw. Hmmmm! Maybe I like this idea better now! lol! :D

Cheers!

Gib Etheridge
02-29-2016, 09:11 PM
I would have been so thrilled by the opportunity to get to know a wolf really well that I would have fed her. Not smart, I know, and she might have eaten Tiger, but she probably didn't have long to live anyway.

I expect it's been a long winter for you, long and wet and cold to boot. Does the freshwater on the surface freeze from time to time? How far do you go for supplies?

I could probably ask you questions for the whole evening, then come up with that many more again. You must be in town somewhere to have computer access, yes?

Gib Etheridge
02-29-2016, 09:21 PM
I heard her whine at 21 seconds. That would have had me running for the dog food! I'm such an old softy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPEVInE3Gvc

Gerarddm
02-29-2016, 09:46 PM
What is odd is the directional wave, no matter what the source was. Very strange, indeed.

I got nothin'.

TJCeeJay
02-29-2016, 09:46 PM
Heyo! Don't worry about asking too many questions! I LOVE chatting about Butedale! BY:D

And you have NO idea how much I wanted to feed her! I have a 20 pound freezer burnt salmon that I SO wanted to leave for her, but the risk was just too great. I wasn't worried too much about Bud. He's about the same size as her, and is a strong young guy; and she was painfully gimpy, and very slow moving. But like you said, Tiger would have been at risk if I allowed the wolf to become too comfortable. She wasn't starving or mangy or anything though. She left plenty of healthy looking poops laying around; and being that she's what's called a Sea Wolf, or Coastal Wolf, she normally gets about 80% of her diet straight from the ocean. And her poop sure showed that! Full of mussel, and barnacle, and limpet shells. I imagine she also was probably able to get some of the shore crab that the bears feed on by flipping tidal zone rocks, and even boulders with such ease.

The winter has indeed been long and wet. So wet, that there was a 150-200 foot wide, 700 foot long landslide on the far side of the harbor. It didn't make it down to the water, but it turned 2 creeks into mud flows for about an hour or so. Temps were pretty mild actually this winter. Normally there will be a few weeks of 15 or so below freezing, and the fresh water on the surface would freeze behind the docks; but that never happened this winter. The big lake above Butedale (12 mile shoreline) never even froze over. (And I was hiking on it at this time the winter previous!) But I don't mind rain, and warm winters. Ya don't have to shovel rain! lol!

My supplies are actually delivered to me. Aside from a 2 week stint at a marina / lodge about 85 miles south of here, I haven't left Butedale since November 2013. And the only reason I ended up at the marina (Shearwater) is due to a severe 2nd degree burn on my right hand that got infected, and necessitated a medi-vac to the Native Village of Bella-Bella, and their hospital. Bella-Bella is about a 10 minute water-bus ride from Shearwater. After I got proper burn dressing, and meds, I spent 2 weeks living comfy in the Shearwater Hotel, and getting fat on the restaurant food. (All courtesy of my most excellent boss!) BY:D

And my internet is actually satellite based. I have a 650 KB/s high speed connection. Can Skype with my mum, and friends, watch YouTube, etc. Life ain't too shabby! lol! :d

I get my power from one of the two old hydro turbines that used to run the town. I call it my "Limited Unlimited Power". |;) "Limited", because I can't use the 600 volt 350 kw generator attached to the turbine. Which means no electric heat. (All the old transformers were stolen long ago for the copper.) And "Unlimited", because I have 24 / 7 power thanks to a pulley system from the turbine, connected to a 180 amp cement truck brushless alternator, feeding a bank of batteries, which in turn feeds the 2000 watt inverter. I can run a deep freezer, fridge, all the lighting I could want, run the satellite, computer, fans, etc...

Anyhoo, anything you want to ask... Go right ahead!

Cheers!

Gib Etheridge
02-29-2016, 10:28 PM
OK, so I saw you splitting cedar for firewood. I guess that, like me, you burn what's available, but I saw the potential for making shakes. I guess you've no need for shakes, and it would be a long haul to where you could market them, but while considering that I got to wondering what, if anything, you need to do for an income.

Also, in your position, and with that nice cedar available, I'd just have to build some boats. Heck, you've even got enough electricity to run small power tools. Do you have a hobby?

TJCeeJay
02-29-2016, 11:33 PM
You got that right, about burning whatever is available! lol! Normally I prefer Spruce, Fir, or Hemlock, (or Alder, if it's available.) Not a lot of hardwood around here, except Alder; and most of my wood is driftwood logs that I catch if I see 'em floating past in the channel. This year for some reason, there was almost nothing in the water except cedar; so cedar is my firewood. You'll cringe when I tell you that half of last year's firewood supply was YELLOW Cedar. Fortunately, it was mostly knotty wood, so I didn't feel too bad burning it. lol!

For money, I collect moorage "donations" from the boats that stay overnight at the docks. Got about 400 feet of dock, and it's filled end to end for half the nights each week during the summer. Other nights can be 0, 1, 2, 3, etc boats overnight. I don't actually charge moorage, but when people ask, I just tell them it's donation based. I'll get about $10+ for a 20 foot boat, or $40 - $50 for a 100 foot boat. Works out to be fifty cents a foot usually. Of course winter is pretty dead. I've had 4 boats stop overnight since the middle of November.

My supplies are paid for by the property owner, in exchange for me making sure nothing floats away, or anyone comes to wreck or steal the little of value that remains here. Butedale is about to be redeveloped into a major Eco-Tourism site, with a marina and 2200 feet of dock; so the owner needs to make sure that nothing untoward happens before work really ramps up this summer.

I do have a massive cedar on shore that I'm planning on using to build cedar strip canoes, and Kayaks, once we get a sawmill and workshop up and running here.

Got a few hobbies, actually. I do loads of fishing, either at the lake, or on the channel. Amazing cutthroat at the lake; and just on the edge of the harbor is an fantastic Rockfish hole. (Brown Rockfish, Black Rockfish, and Yelloweye Rockfish / Red Snapper.) I take oodles of pictures, and videos. And every day I wish to goodness I had better equipment! lol! a 12 year old Nikon D50, and a cheap JVC camcorder just don't cut it for what I'd like to be able to do. There's a couple kayaks here that I bob around in with the dog. (He hates water, so he's actually incredibly still in the kayaks! lol! I used to do a lot of basic carving of full cutlery sets. Knives, forks, spoons, spatulas, etc. But found that it caused me some pretty seriously painful tingly arms, that made it hard to sleep. So until I can afford to buy myself a good Dremel kit, the carving is done for now. Aside from all that though, I hike around the muskeg areas with the dog, wander up and down the trail along the big falls, beachcomb the harbor beach for old bottles and such, (got like 300+ antique bottles,) plus I do a lot of reading, and even just leaning on the edge of the wharf railing smoking my pipe can kill an hour or two! lol! Not to mention, during the summer, I can have 20+ boats a day to take care of. Some folks stop in just to say howdy, some want to hike to the lake, some stay overnight, so it can get pretty hectic!

Anyhoo, back to you!

Cheers!

Gib Etheridge
03-01-2016, 12:17 AM
You were right, I cringed, but then you made me feel better when you mentioned the knots. Thanks for that! :)

From time to time I scour the beaches here in the Gulf Islands (I'm on Salt Spring) looking for "Beach-worn non-marketable old growth red and yellow cedar, which I've used to build my various buildings and a few boats over the years. I don't waste the slab and all of the work, it all goes thru the stove. People are too wasteful.

I think I watched all of your videos, didn't see any gardening. Rainforest is hard to garden, very little topsoil and what there is gets leached out, but it's been done. Needs to be constantly enriched and cover in the winter.

I've been reading quite a bit of John Sandford lately. I guess you'd call them murder mysteries, and they are quite compelling. Perhaps you find it easiest to read books online (Kindle?), but if not I can mail you my stack of paperbacks if you want. Need an address.

Do you smoke any fish? I just found a place in Duncan (Mad Dog Crabs) that smokes Chinook bellies then adds garlic and pepper. This stuff is unlike any smoked fish I have ever eaten, I mean entirely different. I've eaten my own and everybody else's smoked salmon for a long time and never had anything like it, the belly meat is especially rich. I call it "High in omega 3 fatty acids", but what it is is just plain rich. As long as you have alder it seems you must be in an excellent position to use some of that old lumber that's everywhere you look to build a really nice smoke house.

There's a fella somewhere on the coast, a European guy I think, who uses waterpower to saw logs in the winter then hand builds kayaks in the summer. I'll try to find his website.

I think rockfish are the best for deep frying, haven't had any in a while since the rockfish have been overfished down here. I've never eaten saltwater cutthroat, will someday.

Do you troll for salmon, or are they plentiful enough that you can get them with BuzzBombs? Used to be jigging worked well off of Wilf Rocks just out of Tofino, but fishing's not allowed there now. If you do troll let me know, I invented a flasher that is easier to use and catches more fish than the traditional flashers. I could slip a couple in with the books. Only a couple because I quit making them and marketing them and only have a few left, a lifetime supply for my son.

I noticed a couple of (yellow cedar?) ladles on your kitchen shelf. Nice.

Lotta bugs in the muskeg? Bears too, I bet. Do you carry bear spray? How's it work on the bugs?:arg

Gib Etheridge
03-01-2016, 12:23 AM
Here's the kayak builder's site (http://www.cedar-strip.com/).

Over and out for now, gotta get some sleep then go sharpen all of the knives at all of the restaurants on the island tomorrow.

TJCeeJay
03-01-2016, 02:49 PM
Mornin'! The previous caretaker did manage to do some fairly productive gardening. Beets, radishes, and rhubarb outside, and tomatoes and peppers in a tiny greenhouse he built. But since I took over from Lou, (and having a new owner needing to get the property as clean as one guy can get it), I really haven't had the time to do any gardening. Once the property is revitalized, I hope to see a BIG greenhouse here though.

You're right, I do most of my reading on my computer, or phone. I must have the better part of a thousand books on both. Thanks for the offer of the paperbacks though!

And doubly thank you for the idea of the smokehouse! I can't believe I haven't built one by now! Got plenty of old-growth Douglas Fir timber laying around, and could make the smokehouse of all smokehouses! Great idea!

I'm getting a small 20 inch Pelton Turbine off of a placer-mining buddy of mine, and once the pipeline from the dam at the lake is replaced, I'd have more than enough water pressure to run a mill off the Pelton Wheel. Cool idea! (Of course, once the pipeline is replaced and the turbines refurbished, I'll also have 2 megawatts at 240 volts to use, (or 600 volts at 800 KW, or 4 Megawatts at 120 volts.) so an electric sawmill would be just as easy.)

And yup! Rockfish are one of my faves too! Can't decide between Halibut, or Red Snapper / Yelloweye. Fortunately, a very productive Halibut spot is only a couple miles away! I'm actually not a huge salmon fan. I enjoy it, don't get me wrong, especially smoked salmon, but for the most part, the Rockfish and Halibut, and Cutthroat at the lake, are my go-to fish for a happy-happy day. Thanks again for the offer of the flashers, though. (Maybe you can send me some pics, if I want to try my hand at making one?)

The ladles on the shelf are actually White Birch. Got the Birch from a buddy in Kitimat BC, while I was living there for a couple years. All the spoons are made from small burls on the birch. The burls produce the perfect bowl shape naturally, and will never split, since the growth rings continue uninterrupted around the whole bowl.

Here's a couple pics of the stuff I used to carve.

My Cedar cutlery (and other stuff) I did here.
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8100/8557971441_7dbf6b7b18_c.jpg

One of the Birch Ladles.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7320/9528756650_b1085c4b8b_c.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3753/9525969693_ed85593683_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7714/16886570030_dc8b79cb3d_c.jpg

And a few more Birch spoons. The second spoon from the top, is the above spoon. When I was done carving, I used Walnut Oil as a sealant / preservative.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7596/16451798744_a0d1c0fbb2_c.jpg

Anyhoo, the muskeg areas aren't all that buggy at all. The soil is too acidic for mosquitoes to breed in the still water. And there's little running water in those areas to produce many blackflies. That's not to say there no blackflies! They can be a bit annoying if there's no wind, and they manage to hunt you down and slowly congregate. But at least there are absolutely zero mosquitoes. I may have seen a half dozen of those pests in the 4 summers I've been here. (My first stint at Butedale was summer to summer, 2010-2011, then I got back Nov. 2013 after a hiatus caused by a broken wisdom tooth, which was quickly followed by a broken bank account. lol!)

I do definitely carry bear spray with me, but don't imagine it'll ever be needed for bears. If it were to ever be needed it would probably be to save my dog from being savaged by a pack of wolves. Back in 1999, or thereabouts, 5 out of 7 Australian Shepherd / Blue Heeler mix dogs were killed here in one day by a pack of wolves who came into town to assert their territorial claims.

Righty then, chat at ya later!

Cheers!

Peter K
03-01-2016, 04:32 PM
If you ain't run out of words, please keep it coming. Really interesting to me, shows a different perspective of the US to the endless and boring political and gun threads.

Willin'
03-01-2016, 04:46 PM
Regarding submarines... it's SOP for our subs to transit on the surface if water depth beneath the keel is less than 100 fathoms, at which time they submerge and generally remain submerged until inbound when they cross the 100 fathom curve again. Unless, of course they are on a war patrol.

Do you have 100 fathoms of water there?

TJCeeJay
03-01-2016, 07:28 PM
Regarding submarines... it's SOP for our subs to transit on the surface if water depth beneath the keel is less than 100 fathoms, at which time they submerge and generally remain submerged until inbound when they cross the 100 fathom curve again. Unless, of course they are on a war patrol.

Do you have 100 fathoms of water there?

Well over 100 fathoms just outside that point in the harbor. 300 to 450 feet / 50 to 75 fathoms at that spot. Of course, I'm just guessing the exact spot where I saw the ocean bulge upwards. The main channel is 1200 to 1800 feet / 200 to 300 fathoms. Like I mentioned earlier; ridiculously deep! lol!

If you ain't run out of words, please keep it coming. Really interesting to me, shows a different perspective of the US to the endless and boring political and gun threads.

Youuuuuu asked for it! ;-) Let's see, I've mentioned the lake, and the Cutthroat, but haven't show them to ya's yet. Here they are.

The Lake.

Looking towards the center of the lake from the nearest end. (Lake is shaped like a letter "Y".)
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7326/11715831235_c3d0969879_c.jpg

Some views from the center of the 3 arms of the lake.

Looking back towards where the above pic was taken.
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1585/25397397776_b1e691943a_c.jpg

Looking towards the Left Arm.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5586/14997744025_d89d3eb612_c.jpg

Towards the Middle Juncture.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5589/14997380562_0512c24715_c.jpg

Looking towards the Right Arm.
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3877/14994663841_8ef1a454a2_c.jpg

Some Cutthroat caught from the 4 acre log-jam at the closest end of the lake.
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3887/14200995570_e874e1e104_c.jpg
That fancy funky silly looking rod is an Emmrod, backpacking rod. I would gladly challenge anyone to break it, with any force less than running it over with a steam roller! lol! (It's a GOOOOD freaking fishing system!)

Allllllrighty then, time for my supper, so I'll post this as s for now. If ya want any more of me babbling on about Butedale, let me know!

Cheers!

Gib Etheridge
03-01-2016, 08:47 PM
CORY; Hopefully you can save some of those old growth beams for boat building.

PETER K; He's got an even dozen YouTube videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/TJCeeJay).

TJCeeJay
03-02-2016, 04:40 PM
CORY; Hopefully you can save some of those old growth beams for boat building.

PETER K; He's got an even dozen YouTube videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/TJCeeJay).

Thanks for the links! (The above link is actually to my channel!) lol! I checked out his website, and WOW, the man is a master artist! His boats are almost too pretty to use. (Well, no almost about it; I doubt I could ever actually put one of his works of art into the water!) lol!

In 2010 I actually had set aside four 21 foot long old growth Douglas Fir 2 x 10 floorboards for use in boat building; but the previous caretaker sold them to someone during my 2 year hiatus in civilization while rebuilding my finances from the wisdom tooth debacle. Only one outer edge of the 2x10's had been toe-nailed, so I would have had at least 8 inches of wood left over after ripping the strip with the nails in it. Of course, the kayaks built out of that wood, would have weighed probably close to (or over) 100 pounds, due to the wood being so incredibly dense. Even the 2x6's of that wood, have more than 100 growth rings in the 6 inch cross section.

Aside from using the old wood for boats, I'm hoping to be able to salvage a gigantic amount of large timbers (3x12, 4x16, 6x8, 8x10) from the old Bunkhouse before it is made to "go away", and use them on site for building gazebos, benches, picnic tables, etc. There is so much here that can be re-purposed, it's almost enough to make me giddy! lol! There are thousands of yellow Clayburn bricks that absolutely need to be used to make a "yellow brick road" (or rather, a yellow brick pathway), somewhere on the property. Of course, it would have to be named the Yellow Brick Road, for the entertainment of the visitors! :D To make things even more delightful, Butedale is very often right at the "End of the Rainbow"!

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1498/25449903515_79a4f13f12_c.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1455/25449873915_9e1f4841d0_c.jpg

It's funny; I came out here looking for silence, and solitude, but I am SO excited to see Butedale reborn into something wonderful. There is so much potential here, for amazing things, it's just fantastic! During the redevelopment I'd love to have a hand in the design, and location of a lot of the new construction, like the gazebos, picnic areas, camping sites, etc. There are many spectacular locations on the property, and at the lake, that are just calling for something special. During the summer, there is one lookout area on the N/W corner of property that is the first spot the sun hits in the morning, and provides a gorgeous view of the sunrise on the water. Same for the furthest N/E point of the property; during midsummer, it's the last spot to get the sun, and you can look straight down the channel for about 10 miles, with the setting sun in the center of the channel, and framed by the mountains on either side. Pretty spectacular! I'd love to see some gazebos built in both locations for visitors to enjoy.

And then there are the major hot-springs in Klekane Inlet just about 5 miles from here. They aren't part of the Butedale property, but I'd love to to see us have something to do with them. A large number of the Northbound "passing through" visitors who stay just for a few minutes, or couple hours during the day, usually only stay that long because they are headed to the Bishop Bay hot-springs about 23 miles to the North of Butedale. If there were mooring buoys and a small dock near the closer hot-springs, and some nice tubs looking down the inlet, then many more visitors could be enticed to those hot-springs, and would then be more likely to return to stay overnight at Butedale instead of rushing off to Bishop Bay. But of course, anything like that would be years and years in the future.

So much to do, so many ideas, so much fun thinking about the future possibilities! lol! Gazebos at (or floating on) the lake, floating picnic areas on the lake, campsites, canoe and kayak rentals... The possibilities are endless!

Anyhoo, that's all for now; chat at ya's later!

Cheers!