PDA

View Full Version : Two shootings

Rum_Pirate
02-28-2016, 11:00 AM
Boy, 16, carrying a BROOMSTICK is shot by police in Salt Lake City, sparking protests

Police approached a teenage boy and a man who were arguing in the street in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah, on Saturday night
They asked the boy to drop what he was holding - part of a broomstick
When he did not, 'shots were fired' and he was hit in the chest and stomach
The shooting sparked calamity in the streets all night, trams were shut down, and 100 police officers dispatched to contain the uproar
The boy is in hospital, there have been no updates on his condition

By ASSOCIATED PRESS (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=&authornamef=Associated+Press)
PUBLISHED: 13:15 GMT, 28 February 2016 | UPDATED: 15:05 GMT, 28 February 2016

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3467990/Boy-16-carrying-BROOMSTICK-shot-police-Salt-Lake-City-sparking-angry-protests.html#ixzz41TjveTFG (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3467990/Boy-16-carrying-BROOMSTICK-shot-police-Salt-Lake-City-sparking-angry-protests.html#ixzz41TjveTFG)

Rookie police officer shot dead on her first day on the job

Ashley Guindon dies and two other colleagues injured in shooting incident following emergency call-out

Rookie Ashley Guindon Photo: Universal News (Europe)By Associated Press
10:50AM GMT 28 Feb 2016

A newly sworn-in police officer on her first shift with a US police department was shot and killed after attending a call about an argument.
Officers received a call around 5:30 Saturday evening in Woodbridge, Virginia about a "verbal argument," Sgt. Jonathan Perok, spokesman of the Prince William County Police Department, said. It's not clear how the altercation between the suspect and the police began but the suspect, a military serviceman, is in custody and was not injured, he said. Two other officers were also injured.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/12176527/Rookie-police-officer-shot-dead-on-her-first-day-on-the-job.html

I can understand why Police apparently are quick on the trigger finger.

Yes, the young boy should possibly have been given more warning or tazered instead.

The Bigfella
02-28-2016, 11:02 AM
Tapered?

CWSmith
02-28-2016, 11:11 AM
Yes, the young boy should possibly have been given more warning or tazered instead.

What do we expect of "young boys" other than they behave like "young boys". An adult sworn to protect and serve shot a kid because he was carrying "part of a broomstick"? The cop should go to jail. No excuses.

Paul Girouard
02-28-2016, 11:22 AM
What do we expect of "young boys" other than they behave like "young boys". An adult sworn to protect and serve shot a kid because he was carrying "part of a broomstick"? The cop should go to jail. No excuses.

Judge and jury, case closed!

How do you know the cops knew it wasn't a gun?

Do you know if he pointed it at the cops in a manner to suggest it was a weapon?

Justice is swift on WBF, if not "just"!

AussieBarney
02-28-2016, 02:44 PM

Do you know if he pointed it at the cops in a manner to suggest it was a weapon?

Default, default!!!!!!!

Shoot, don't investigate, don't be a man, be afraid

shoot, claim, I wus afeared for mah life,

Shoot, it's fun, it's good

carry on, there's nothing to see, just another child, yes, child killed for what? holding a stick.

Only in America could this happen without the cop facing charges.

There is no hope.

CWSmith
02-28-2016, 03:10 PM
Default, default!!!!!!!

Shoot, don't investigate, don't be a man, be afraid

shoot, claim, I wus afeared for mah life,

Shoot, it's fun, it's good

carry on, there's nothing to see, just another child, yes, child killed for what? holding a stick.

Only in America could this happen without the cop facing charges.

There is no hope.

Are you actually suggesting that you are not mortally afraid of a boy with a stick? Incredible. I suppose you must be losing cops left and right with such a relaxed attitude toward children, not to mention broomsticks. How will we ever be safe?

Paul Girouard
02-28-2016, 03:20 PM
Are you actually suggesting that you are not mortally afraid of a boy with a stick? Incredible. I suppose you must be losing cops left and right with such a relaxed attitude toward children, not to mention broomsticks. How will we ever be safe?

Talk abou poor reading skill's , if that's what you got out of the article and my post , you're knees must smack your forehead repeatedly thru out the day. But from your first post on this thread , that may be your SOP , jumping start to convictions without any evidence !
So be it. I'm out of this one.

skuthorp
02-28-2016, 03:25 PM
Broomstick! Heck, he might have been a wizzard an about to pur a hex on the coppers gun!
http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/otto-dieffenbach-rc-broom-flyer-witch-wizard

OTOH there's Ashley Guindon, shot down on her first day on duty. A tragic event for her family and her ambitions and a great loss to her community. It's not easy with so many firearms in the community that the default position must be the the offender may have one. And then it comes down to odds and the individual courage and character of the officer, and their judgement in the particular circumstance.

CWSmith
02-28-2016, 04:14 PM

Talk abou poor reading skill's , if that's what you got out of the article and my post , you're knees must smack your forehead repeatedly thru out the day. But from your first post on this thread , that may be your SOP , jumping start to convictions without any evidence !
So be it. I'm out of this one.

Yes, that's pretty much what I got from your post and my forehead feels fine.

However, I was responding to AussieBarney who I believe has the right point of view.

Paul Girouard
02-28-2016, 04:51 PM
Yes, that's pretty much what I got from your post and my forehead feels fine.

However, I was responding to AussieBarney who I believe has the right point of view.

Forehead's calloused maybe;-)) Or concussed:-/

You should have taken the spelling bee angle with him like Gerry DM (Gerarddm) did with me on another thread this AM, but then hey you agreed with him that cops in general are trigger happy A-holes, so his post fits your narrative , no sense bucking it then is there!
Let's just lock up ALL the cop's , we "all know they're guilty of something!"

CWSmith
02-28-2016, 05:09 PM

You should have taken the spelling bee angle with him like Gerry DM (Gerarddm) did with me on another thread this AM, but then hey you agreed with him that cops in general are trigger happy A-holes, so his post fits your narrative , no sense bucking it then is there!

Over the course of my life I have had 3 good friends who are cops and 1 is in the FBI. All are terrific human beings. And, yes, I have known some real A-holes who are cops, including one red neck cop who wanted to beat me up and another that tried to frame my brother for murder, but they are not my friend. So, no, I have never said that cops in general at trigger happy A-holes.

I believe that those cops who should NEVER be allowed to carry a gun or wear a badge are too often shielded from the consequences of their action by a combination of other cops closing ranks around them and frightened citizens who believe this is what is required to have "law and order", which is really just a buzz word for "those people need to be kept in line."

So you don't know me as well as you think.

Look, Paul, I'm tired of arguments. I am sick of what a relatively few cops do and get away with. And I'm sick of the people who fail to hold them responsible.

Peerie Maa
02-28-2016, 05:20 PM

Do something about the number of guns in circulation and US cops will not be scared for their lives every day on duty.

Paul Girouard
02-28-2016, 06:26 PM
#1: Over the course of my life I have had 3 good friends who are cops and 1 is in the FBI. Allare terrific human beings. And, yes, I have known some real A-holes who are cops, including one red neck cop who wanted to beat me up and another that tried to frame my brother for murder, but they are not my friend. So, no, I have never said that cops in general at trigger happy A-holes.

#2: I believe that those cops who should NEVER be allowed to carry a gun or wear a badge are too often shielded from the consequences of their action by a combination of other cops closing ranks around them and frightened citizens who believe this is what is required to have "law and order", which is really just a buzz word for "those people need to be kept in line."

#3: So you don't know me as well as you think.

#4: Look, Paul, I'm tired of arguments.

#5: I am sick of what a relatively few cops do and get away with.

#6: And I'm sick of the people who fail to hold them responsible.

#1: There's bad people in every walk of life.

#2: I agree. There's only so much anyone can do to weed out the bad ones.

#3: All I know is what I read, generally your attitude toward police is they are guilty of ANY shooting , even if they are returning fire , once fire upon.

#4: If you where you'd not post on the forum. So you're not that sick of arguing. :-))

#5: I'm sick and tired of people who point guns , paint balls guns , toy guns that look like real guns or broom sticks at cops and DON'T expect to be fired upon. Kind of stupid really to act in ANY aggressive way toward a cop. Most of them don't want to get shot because they let their guard down, so they tend to be ready to go to GQ in a instant.

#6: I'm sick of people, in general, NOT being held responsible for their actions , and then I'm sick of the same people that want to take my guns away BECAUSE some one else used a gun irresponsibly , or illegally.
Go get the guns from the criminals, take their guns and lock them up for life , better yet if they've committed violent crimes with a gun, get rid of them. I know that's harder to do , it's easier to take guns , give a speeding ticket top some one who's going to give the gun up without a fight , or pay a speeding ticket without having to track the person down to force them to pay the ticket.

The guy who killed his family here in Washington State on Friday had pointed a gun at a employee some months ago , the employee quit , seems sensible to do, filed a report about the incident , yet the shooter kept his gun, or guns. Now I'm sure the investigation into WHY this happened isn't completed yet. But I suspect they'll be some reason he was able to keep the gun or guns he had , I don't think that reason is going to be "good reason" , my guess is some law wasn't inforced , some Govt. agency didn't do it's job , or they where "to busy" to get to him to deal with it.
All of which at this point seem to be piss poor reasons to leave a loose cannon armed, but that's not to say EVERY ONE needs dsiarmed due to one , or even. 1000 "nuts".

Peerie Maa
02-28-2016, 06:43 PM
All of which at this point seem to be piss poor reasons to leave a loose cannon armed, but that's not to say EVERY ONE needs dsiarmed due to one , or even. 1000 "nuts".

U S Exeptionalism.
UK and Oz disagree with you. Our cops are not $h!+e scared and trigger happy, and although we do have domestic murders the cops attending the shout do not end up dead from gunshot, nor we do not have nuts going on killing sprees all that often.

CWSmith
02-28-2016, 07:14 PM
This isn't worth the effort.