PDA

View Full Version : small area of fiberglass float

dposner
02-18-2016, 09:28 PM
i'm putting fiberglass and epoxy down on the interior of my clc sassafras- and the there are a few, inch to inch and a half sized areas the the epoxy floated during he first coat of epoxy. it was difficult to get it to lay down on the floor while pulling it up the sides without causing this.Before applying the next coat should I cut out the "blister" ( which is what it looks like) with a utility knife and then just fair the area with expoxy and filler and then apply my next coat, or should I sand it down so it's even with the rest of the fiberglass and then apply the next coat? ( the first two coats are on and are dry)

dposner

dposner
02-18-2016, 09:29 PM
correction; I mean the fiberglass floated, whoops
dposner

boat fan
02-18-2016, 11:23 PM
That`s a bubble , not " floated "glass.

You need to cut it out like you said , and you can either patch it with a small round glass patch , or just fair the spot with filler.

Glass that has " floated " has a thick coat of resin on the surface with the glass cloth stuck and wet out on top.

Not hard to fix if not bright finished and just painted..

Todd Bradshaw
02-19-2016, 12:23 AM
The in-process fix for this type of bubble in the cloth as you're applying it is to squeegee cloth down into the area. Most of the work while squeegeeing the inside of a hull is away from the middle and up the sides. This puts tension on the cloth as you try to get it to lay down into the hollow shape, and too much tension can cause spots to pull away from the wood's surface. Using your squeegee and moderate pressure you can sweep a little bit of the slack fabric toward the problem area and ease the tension. Obviously there will come a time in the hardening process when the cloth will no longer move, so pay close attention to previously saturated cloth as you're finishing up the rest and watch for any spots that may need some help. Whether glassing inside or outside surfaces, it's a good idea to hang around, supervising it at least as long as it's still soft enough to move. Closing the door, assuming everything is hunky dory and walking away while you still have wet glass cloth on the boat can be a mistake and make for some rather unpleasant surprises when you return later.

dposner
02-19-2016, 06:55 AM
thanks- i thought I had done everything above, and kept sweeping slack fabric towards the problem area. however i did close the door and returned to an unpleasant surprise ( well put!) so now the question is the best way to remedy it? i can sand the bubble down, clearly sanding down into the fiberglass in the bubble, but I think I'd abrade too much of the surrounding fiberglass weave. So I thought to just cut out this area and then take a resin/ colloidal silica faring mix and fill it in would be the best approach. the inside is not going to be bright, I'll be painting it, so I think it will work. But you my wise friend, are obviously the guru of this entire forum, and I get a great amount of knowledge hearing your answers. David

dposner
02-19-2016, 10:22 AM
thanks so much. thats exactly what I will do. appreciate your response!

David