PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Dayton Eckerson
10-16-2003, 01:10 PM
Any recommendations on which one to buy??? Waste marine sells units between $65 and $100. Home Despot sells them for less than half that, I'm told. What do you get for the extra $$ besides a picture of a boat on the package?

Dayton Eckerson
Any recommendations on which one to buy??? Waste marine sells units between $65 and $100. Home Despot sells them for less than half that, I'm told. What do you get for the extra $$ besides a picture of a boat on the package?

Dayton Eckerson

Popeye
10-16-2003, 01:16 PM
what is the detection limit on each unit?

Popeye

Popeye

Meerkat
10-16-2003, 02:15 PM
A marine unit may/should have better protection against salt corrosion.

Meerkat

Meerkat

ion barnes
10-19-2003, 12:00 AM
Practical Sailor had a review a couple of years ago and found it difficult to anything in the marine trade that didnot cost alot. I think the option atthe time was to buy residental and replace as needed. Also check the RV market place.

ion barnes
Practical Sailor had a review a couple of years ago and found it difficult to anything in the marine trade that didnot cost alot. I think the option atthe time was to buy residental and replace as needed. Also check the RV market place.

ion barnes

capt jake
10-19-2003, 10:38 AM
Any recommendations on which one to buy Tough question to answer as the technology is finally improving on these devices. Get one with a digital read out as well as teh alarm function. this way you can visually see a trand that may be occuring before the alarm sounds; giving you time to resolve the problem.
Some tend to sound at different levels of CO.
There does not seem to be any recognized standard alarm level (last time I researched this). 30-50ppm seems to be the recognized level(s). Remember that CO is nearly the same weight as straight air, so you do not need to place them high (as in a smoke dectector) or low (as in a propane detector). Place them where you can easily view it to see that read ou! smile.gif

Good luck!! smile.gif

capt jake
Any recommendations on which one to buy Tough question to answer as the technology is finally improving on these devices. Get one with a digital read out as well as teh alarm function. this way you can visually see a trand that may be occuring before the alarm sounds; giving you time to resolve the problem.
There does not seem to be any recognized standard alarm level (last time I researched this). 30-50ppm seems to be the recognized level(s). Remember that CO is nearly the same weight as straight air, so you do not need to place them high (as in a smoke dectector) or low (as in a propane detector). Place them where you can easily view it to see that read ou! smile.gif

Good luck!! smile.gif

capt jake

Good luck!! smile.gif

ion barnes
10-19-2003, 11:05 PM
Found in my Practical Sailor archives, July 1,2002 Vol 28 #13, CO2 Detecters; they like Fireboy/Xintex, but if you are more cautious, get a MTI. Non-marine units were good too, and they liked Kidde Nighthawk best. They have not updated their evaluation since. Ion

ion barnes
Found in my Practical Sailor archives, July 1,2002 Vol 28 #13, CO2 Detecters; they like Fireboy/Xintex, but if you are more cautious, get a MTI. Non-marine units were good too, and they liked Kidde Nighthawk best. They have not updated their evaluation since. Ion

ion barnes

Dayton Eckerson
10-20-2003, 05:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the information. Cap'n Jake: I agree with your advice that a digital readout is very good to have. Neither model carried by West (Xintex CMD-3M & Marine Technologies Safe-T-Alert) seems to have this feature however. Maybe the way to go is to get the non-marine model with the readout with the expectation that you will be replacing it every few years. (I'm assuming that one can always tell when you have a malfunctioning unit; if this assumption is not correct, my logic is flawed). OTOH, given the grave consequences of getting a false negative here, I'm quickly coming around to the view that having some redundancy is pretty important, so I may get one of each before I try sleeping with my diesel/kerosene heater burning. The Pardys almost did themselves in this way a few years ago.
Ionbarnes: Is the "MTI" you refer to a Marine Technologies model? Regarding the Kidde Nighthawk, I seem to recall reading that the CPSC has issued a recall on this model.

Dayton Eckerson
Thanks everyone for the information. Cap'n Jake: I agree with your advice that a digital readout is very good to have. Neither model carried by West (Xintex CMD-3M & Marine Technologies Safe-T-Alert) seems to have this feature however. Maybe the way to go is to get the non-marine model with the readout with the expectation that you will be replacing it every few years. (I'm assuming that one can always tell when you have a malfunctioning unit; if this assumption is not correct, my logic is flawed). OTOH, given the grave consequences of getting a false negative here, I'm quickly coming around to the view that having some redundancy is pretty important, so I may get one of each before I try sleeping with my diesel/kerosene heater burning. The Pardys almost did themselves in this way a few years ago.
Ionbarnes: Is the "MTI" you refer to a Marine Technologies model? Regarding the Kidde Nighthawk, I seem to recall reading that the CPSC has issued a recall on this model.

Dayton Eckerson

capt jake
10-20-2003, 09:33 PM
Nighthawk used to be a separate brand, it was bought out by Kidde. They used to be rated very good, but you are right, they have had problems recently.
When I get back to work, I will quiz out the Pub-Ed unit and see what is recommended these days.

take care!!

capt jake
Nighthawk used to be a separate brand, it was bought out by Kidde. They used to be rated very good, but you are right, they have had problems recently.
When I get back to work, I will quiz out the Pub-Ed unit and see what is recommended these days.

take care!!

capt jake

take care!!