X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cathouse willy
    Not that sensitive guy
    • Jan 2008

memory

In 1985 I had training in the latest telephone switching technology. The GTD #5 digital switch. It had a line capacity of up to 50,000 lines. The memory was stored on 5" x 11" cards of 64 kb each. There were multiple frames full of them taking up many square feet of computer floor space and when they were exercised you could hear them chirping. Now I have memory sticks of 32 gig in a package the size of my little finger and they're noiseless.Talk about tech advances. I used to be tech savvy but it's gotten so far ahead keeping up is impossible
    Last edited by cathouse willy; 02-14-2016, 11:57 PM.

• Jim Bow
    Still tender and callow f
    • Jul 2008

Re: memory

Same year, I worked on a Solid State Systems PBX. I did programming, we had a tech who touched the hardware. I recall a very small memory made up of a grid of very fine wires crisscrossing each other. Don't know hownit worked, but It was so beautiful we hung it on a wall when the PBX was replaced by a new Meridian in 1992.
    “Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles and see the world is moving" - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Comment

Working...