PDA

View Full Version : My neighbor's house burned down this morning.

Paul Pless
02-06-2016, 12:33 PM
I'm in Alabama. I was walking across my property when I heard a cackling, spitting, popping noise. I glanced over and about four hundred yards away a 100 year old two story farm house was completely engulfed in flame. Built on four foot high crawlspace entirely of heart pine, the roof and most of the upper floor was gone before the firetrucks arrived. They put the fire out soon after but all that remains standing is the bottom three or four feet of walls above the porch and two of the four chimneys. The neighbors weren't at home, but arrived as the fireman were rolling up hoses.

David G
02-06-2016, 12:36 PM
Crap! I hate to see things burn down. I've known too many folks who have lost their wood shops to fire. That's heartbreaking enough. But your home? Very tough.

S.V. Airlie
02-06-2016, 12:39 PM
You can rebuild technically, I hope no one was killed Paul.

John Smith
02-06-2016, 01:54 PM
Glad no one was hurt. Hope they had good insurance.

We had a home burn down near us a couple of years ago. Their insurance paid to have a whole new house built. They were inconvenienced a good bit for a year or so, but they absolutely love their new home.

I'm sure there are some things lost that simply cannot be replaced.

I wish them well.

JimD
02-06-2016, 01:56 PM
A tough turn. Hope they're all OK and have some insurance.

paulf
02-06-2016, 01:59 PM
Here is a perfect chance for you to be the kind of person your dogs think you are!

Spin_Drift
02-06-2016, 02:03 PM
So sorry it happened to them. Glad they were not hurt or worse...

CWSmith
02-06-2016, 03:48 PM
Very sad, but best if no one was injured.

My last house had aluminum wiring. I learned what that meant after. I was happy to move out.

S.V. Airlie
02-06-2016, 03:48 PM
We had a huge house fire late last fall at night, 8 people there, five children ages, 14, 12, 11,9, 5 and 3. Hit more than one family. The lines at the two active churches were out the doors. Extremely sad even in a small town.

Breakaway
02-06-2016, 03:56 PM
When I was 11, the house two doors down went up. It was a new family that had just moved in. In the morning, too.

So there was the Mom and Dad on the street. Coughing, sputtering. They were off the boat from Portugal. My dad, myself, a neighbor could hear the kids screaming inside. Fire sirens--coming now. We tried breaking down the door. Curt went at a window with a hockey stick. The smoke poured out black. The heat was too much. No way we were getting in.

Three little girls died in that fire.

Kevin

Bob Adams
02-06-2016, 04:26 PM
When I was 11, the house two doors down went up. It was a new family that had just moved in. In the morning, too.

So there was the Mom and Dad on the street. Coughing, sputtering. They were off the boat from Portugal. My dad, myself, a neighbor could hear the kids screaming inside. Fire sirens--coming now. We tried breaking down the door. Curt went at a window with a hockey stick. The smoke poured out black. The heat was too much. No way we were getting in.

Kevin

Lord what a horrible memory.

leikec
02-06-2016, 05:36 PM

Kevin

I've dealt with some tough things, and I've seen some things that still haunt me, but what you describe is about as bad as it gets.

Jeff C

S.V. Airlie
02-06-2016, 05:41 PM
This IS really morbid; having been in house fires when a death occurs as a vol Fire Dept member, the smell of damp wood and burned flesh still get to me. Car accidents are the same way but, the cars may not burn.
There is something about a death in those circumstances you just will not forget no matter what. Just the thought of wet wood even without a body is a trigger. Talking about PTSD.I'm smelling it now thinking about it!

Breakaway
02-06-2016, 06:21 PM
've dealt with some tough things, and I've seen some things that still haunt me, but what you describe is about as bad as it gets.

Jeff C

Lord what a horrible memory.

Damn...

I had not thought about that fire for a very long time now. That was 41 years ago. Typing that post brought it all back and I became quite upset. I had to take a walk. I'm still shaky.

That fire was a grease fire. The parents were cooking breakfast. It just got out of control. Lets all be careful.

Kevin

Steve McMahon
02-06-2016, 11:17 PM
Always a sad event when someone loses their home. The first time you witness a house fire is sobering, the energy release of a fully involved structure is immense. Dealing with a house fire that has fatalities is horrific for all involved at all levels.

Phillip Allen
02-06-2016, 11:19 PM
give em clothes and kitchen stuff... or money

S.V. Airlie
02-06-2016, 11:22 PM
Good idea PA, why didn't I think of that?

Gerarddm
02-06-2016, 11:27 PM
I recall reading some years about a brand new home in New England, custom designed, they poured all their love into it. The house was done, a last finish coat went on the floor on Friday prior to move-in on Monday. The workman didn't store the rag properly; spontaneous combustion happened; the house burned to the ground. Heart breaking. They pulled up their bootstraps and rebuilt.

Stiletto
02-09-2016, 10:04 PM
My house burned down in 1990. I was at a friend's place when the fire siren went up. We were both volunteer firemen and his house was the nearest to the fire station so we were the first there. I was busy opening the door while he took the instructions. One of the worst experiences in my life was when he came out and told me it was my place.
Old wooden places go pretty quickly once they are alight.

PeterSibley
02-09-2016, 10:13 PM
I'm glad no on was hurt, buildings can be rebuilt , lives not so much.