PDA

View Full Version : What's really warming the World?

seanz
02-04-2016, 07:16 PM
Good graphic. Well, good in that it's informative and clear....

http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-whats-warming-the-world/

CWSmith
02-04-2016, 07:26 PM
That is very interesting!

Peerie Maa
02-04-2016, 07:33 PM
Excellent graphic.

Chip-skiff
02-04-2016, 07:42 PM
A major source, pretty much unremarked in the blather emanating from Paris, is animal agriculture, especially beef-raising.

WszystekPoTrochu
02-04-2016, 07:45 PM
A major source, pretty much unremarked in the blather emanating from Paris, is animal agriculture, especially beef-raising.

And greenhouse gases stand for... ?

Chip-skiff
02-04-2016, 07:51 PM
And greenhouse gases stand for... ?

Carbon dioxide and methane are the major contributors. Stand for? Could you be a bit more clear?

Too Little Time
02-05-2016, 12:43 PM
That was a lovely presentation.

Vince Brennan
02-05-2016, 03:49 PM
Carbon dioxide and methane are the major contributors. Stand for? Could you be a bit more clear?(S)He would if (S)He could think clearly.

JimD
02-05-2016, 05:19 PM
A major source, pretty much unremarked in the blather emanating from Paris, is animal agriculture, especially beef-raising.Another good reason to stop eating cows.

seanz
02-05-2016, 05:26 PM
Another good reason to stop eating cows.

That, and it's not good for the cow.

Peerie Maa
02-05-2016, 05:39 PM
That, and it's not good for the cow.

If we did not eat them, would there still be cows?

Or would all the pasture be ploughed up for crops?

seanz
02-05-2016, 05:55 PM

You mean the ones that remain uneaten? Interesting question. Do domesticated animals revert back to their genetic origins if allowed to roam in the wild. Would we get a sort of auroch?
Of course, we would have to designate some 'wild' for them.
Bit sad that...

Too Little Time
02-05-2016, 05:57 PM

I am told India has a problem with cows related to not eating them. But I don't go there.

Peerie Maa
02-05-2016, 07:31 PM
You mean the ones that remain uneaten? Interesting question. Do domesticated animals revert back to their genetic origins if allowed to roam in the wild. Would we get a sort of auroch?
Of course, we would have to designate some 'wild' for them.
Bit sad that...

Could we spare the land "for some wild" or would we have to put it all to the plough to feed ourselves?

JimD
02-05-2016, 07:44 PM
Vasectomies for the bulls, let attrition take care of the rest. Replace leather with hemp products.

seanz
02-05-2016, 07:59 PM
Could we spare the land "for some wild" or would we have to put it all to the plough to feed ourselves?

We already do.

http://www.thenewforest.co.uk/discover/cows.aspx

I'm pretty certain you don't mean we would have to plough up all the parks for beans to feed ourselves if we didn't eat cows. Cows, as I understand it, aren't the most efficient way to use good agricultural land. They are, however, very profitable.

Gerarddm
02-05-2016, 09:09 PM
What I find fascinating is that the temperature actually declined during WWI and WWII, which surprises me, considering the huge ramp-up of industrial activity to feed each war ( not to mention the uncounted ergs of energy injected into the atmosphere by explosives, everything from a pistol bullet through artillery and air bombardment and ending with atomic bombs ).

epoxyboy
02-06-2016, 02:34 AM

Or would millions of buffalo return to roam the plains like they did in pre european times? How do the herd populations compare, and which farts more? Modern cows, or old school North American buffalo? So many questions!
Not that I'm suggesting this domesticated herd thing is solely a US problem, just trying to point out that before the world became infested with great white hunters and modern monoculture agriculture, there were some very substantial populations of belching, farting herbivores.
S'pose I'll have to do some googling to find out.

Pete

Peerie Maa
02-06-2016, 08:55 AM
We already do.

http://www.thenewforest.co.uk/discover/cows.aspx

I'm pretty certain you don't mean we would have to plough up all the parks for beans to feed ourselves if we didn't eat cows. Cows, as I understand it, aren't the most efficient way to use good agricultural land. They are, however, very profitable.

However all of that animal protein will need to be replaced with vegetable protein, which we do not yet grow, so we must plough more land than we do now for planting.

Peerie Maa
02-06-2016, 09:00 AM
Or would millions of buffalo return to roam the plains like they did in pre european times? How do the herd populations compare, and which farts more? Modern cows, or old school North American buffalo? So many questions!
Not that I'm suggesting this domesticated herd thing is solely a US problem, just trying to point out that before the world became infested with great white hunters and modern monoculture agriculture, there were some very substantial populations of belching, farting herbivores.
S'pose I'll have to do some googling to find out.

Pete

The heat balance obviously did accommodate al those gaseous buffalo. Buffalo, like zebra and gnu are migratory animals, so there were probably less buffalo to the square mile over all of their range than there are fenced in immobile cows.
It was returning fossilised carbon to the atmosphere that is the killer. That has lead to us discussing methane (also locked up in bogs under the permafrost). Cows are probably a second order side issue.

Rigadog
02-06-2016, 09:25 AM
Here's a simple idea that explains global warming:

Back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth, say in the Jurassic, the climate was hot and humid (pictures of Jesus riding one of these creatures show him very lightly dressed). It was like a greenhouse, plants and animals everywhere gobbling up vast amounts of carbon from the atmosphere. Millions of years later mankind figured out how to liberate that carbon and put it back where it came from. When we manage liberate all of it our climate will be as it was in back in the good old dinosaur days.

AndyG
02-06-2016, 12:08 PM
However all of that animal protein will need to be replaced with vegetable protein, which we do not yet grow, so we must plough more land than we do now for planting.

No - a lot of what is grown now is for animal feed. The production efficiency of animal calories is about 10% compared to vegetable calories.

We'd plant less to feed everyone on a veggie diet.

Andy

skuthorp
02-06-2016, 04:28 PM
Humans are warming the world. So there is your answer, and solution…………………………..