PDA

View Full Version : What is Naptha?

Plum
03-08-2002, 08:19 AM
I have seen the product called "Naptha" used in this forum to describe a liquid to thin stain or varnish. Here in the UK I have never heard of Naptha, but we use "white spirit" or "turpentine" to add to varnish or stain. Is white spirit really Naptha?

Plum
I have seen the product called "Naptha" used in this forum to describe a liquid to thin stain or varnish. Here in the UK I have never heard of Naptha, but we use "white spirit" or "turpentine" to add to varnish or stain. Is white spirit really Naptha?

Plum

Ian McColgin
03-08-2002, 08:32 AM
The Chemist can remember where in the refinery fraction naptha comes off - pretty high. It's a very volitile oil product - much more exciting than mere gasoline, and is used in lighter fluids and Brian Cunningham drinks it neat before treading on the exhillarator of his 'Vet.

Fuel drag jetskis anyone . . .

Ian McColgin
The Chemist can remember where in the refinery fraction naptha comes off - pretty high. It's a very volitile oil product - much more exciting than mere gasoline, and is used in lighter fluids and Brian Cunningham drinks it neat before treading on the exhillarator of his 'Vet.

Ian McColgin

Donn
03-08-2002, 08:47 AM
naphtha

generic, loosely defined term covering a range of light petroleum distillates (see distillation). Included in the naphtha classification are: gasoline blending stocks, mineral spirits, and a broad selection of petroleum solvents. In refining, the term light crude naphtha (LCN) usually refers to the first liquid distillation fraction, boiling range 32 to 100C (90 to 175F), while heavy crude naphtha is usually the second distillation fraction, boiling range 163 to 218C (325 to 425F).

-------------------

Naphtha, term applied to several volatile, flammable liquids, obtained by distillation of various organic materials and used as a solvent for fats, gums, and resins, particularly in the manufacture of varnishes and waxes and in the dry cleaning of textiles.

Petroleum naphtha, or mineral naphtha, is obtained from petroleum as a crude distillate that is lighter than kerosene and has a lower boiling point.

It contains a mixture of methane-type hydrocarbons. The distillates with lower boiling points than petroleum naphtha are called ligroin.

Other forms of naphtha are crude naphtha, obtained from coal tar; shale naphtha, obtained from shale; and wood naphtha, obtained from wood. Solvent naphtha, used for dissolving rubber, is a high-boiling-point fraction distilled from coal tar.

[ 03-08-2002, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: donnwest ]

Donn
naphtha

generic, loosely defined term covering a range of light petroleum distillates (see distillation). Included in the naphtha classification are: gasoline blending stocks, mineral spirits, and a broad selection of petroleum solvents. In refining, the term light crude naphtha (LCN) usually refers to the first liquid distillation fraction, boiling range 32 to 100C (90 to 175F), while heavy crude naphtha is usually the second distillation fraction, boiling range 163 to 218C (325 to 425F).

-------------------

Naphtha, term applied to several volatile, flammable liquids, obtained by distillation of various organic materials and used as a solvent for fats, gums, and resins, particularly in the manufacture of varnishes and waxes and in the dry cleaning of textiles.

Petroleum naphtha, or mineral naphtha, is obtained from petroleum as a crude distillate that is lighter than kerosene and has a lower boiling point.

It contains a mixture of methane-type hydrocarbons. The distillates with lower boiling points than petroleum naphtha are called ligroin.

Other forms of naphtha are crude naphtha, obtained from coal tar; shale naphtha, obtained from shale; and wood naphtha, obtained from wood. Solvent naphtha, used for dissolving rubber, is a high-boiling-point fraction distilled from coal tar.

Donn
naphtha

-------------------

PugetSound
03-08-2002, 09:49 PM
Naptha is the stuff they sell for refueling Zippo cigarette lighters.

PugetSound

PugetSound

NormMessinger
03-08-2002, 10:12 PM
You've earned a C+ donn for half the question. Now for an A compare white spirits with naptha.

--Norm

NormMessinger
You've earned a C+ donn for half the question. Now for an A compare white spirits with naptha.

--Norm

NormMessinger

--Norm

Donn
03-08-2002, 11:48 PM
General
Synonyms: mineral spirits, high flash naphtha, petroleum distillate fractions, Stoddard solvent, petroleum distillates
Use: Paint thinner, degreaser
Molecular formula:
CAS No: 8052-41-3
EINECS No:
Physical data
Appearance: colourless liquid with a kerosene-like odour (odour threshold typically between 1 and 30ppm)
Melting point:
Boiling point: boils over a range, typically 150-190 C
Vapour density:
Vapour pressure:
Density (g cm-3): typically 0.78
Flash point: 39 C
Explosion limits: 1.1 - 6%
Autoignition temperature:
Water solubility: immiscible

Stability
Flammable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents. Store and handle in accord with Petroleum Act.

Toxicology
Eye, skin and respiratory irritant. Harmful if swallowed, causing vomiting, diarrhorea, drowsiness, and, in severe cases, pulmonary oedema. Harmful by inhalation. In high concentration may act as a narcotic. Degreaser. Harmful if splashed in the eyes. Typical OES 575 mg/m3 (8h TWA)

Transport information
Hazard class 3.3. UN No 1300.
Personal protection
Safety glasses, good ventilation, gloves.

White spirits, it appears would be classed as light crude naptha...at the upper end of it's distillation fraction.

[ 03-09-2002, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: donnwest ]

Donn
General
Synonyms: mineral spirits, high flash naphtha, petroleum distillate fractions, Stoddard solvent, petroleum distillates
Molecular formula:
EINECS No:
Physical data
Appearance: colourless liquid with a kerosene-like odour (odour threshold typically between 1 and 30ppm)
Melting point:
Vapour density:
Vapour pressure:

Stability
Flammable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents. Store and handle in accord with Petroleum Act.

Toxicology
Eye, skin and respiratory irritant. Harmful if swallowed, causing vomiting, diarrhorea, drowsiness, and, in severe cases, pulmonary oedema. Harmful by inhalation. In high concentration may act as a narcotic. Degreaser. Harmful if splashed in the eyes. Typical OES 575 mg/m3 (8h TWA)

Transport information
Personal protection

White spirits, it appears would be classed as light crude naptha...at the upper end of it's distillation fraction.

Donn
General
Molecular formula:
EINECS No:
Physical data
Melting point:
Vapour density:
Vapour pressure:

Stability

Toxicology

Transport information
Personal protection

Ian G Wright
03-09-2002, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by NormMessinger:

--NormAnd is white spirit the same as turps substitute? Will steam distilled turpentine thin my varnish better? Who is Meths? Why are Paraffin? Does Owetrol always work?
Oh Grasshopper,you have much to learn and time is short...

IanW.

Ian G Wright

--NormAnd is white spirit the same as turps substitute? Will steam distilled turpentine thin my varnish better? Who is Meths? Why are Paraffin? Does Owetrol always work?

IanW.

Ian G Wright

IanW.

Memphis Mike
03-09-2002, 08:21 AM
The Naptha I am familiar with is derived from
coal. We used to burn it in "Bug Lights."
A liquid burning fuel light designed to detect
methane gas. Coleman Fuel is a Naptha based product also.

In the Bug Lights, the flame is enclosed in
metal gauze type cylinders that prevent surrounding gases from igniting but don't inhibit
the flame from detecting them, ie burning brighter.

I'd love to find one of these old lights somewhere. Does anyone know where I could get one?

[ 03-09-2002, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Memphis Mike ]

Memphis Mike

metal gauze type cylinders that prevent surrounding gases from igniting but don't inhibit

I'd love to find one of these old lights somewhere. Does anyone know where I could get one?

Memphis Mike

Donn
03-09-2002, 08:35 AM
Then, of course, there's Fels Naptha. My mother used to make her own laundry soap with it.

Donn
Then, of course, there's Fels Naptha. My mother used to make her own laundry soap with it.

Donn

NormMessinger
03-09-2002, 08:48 AM
. . . . . . . . . . . . . A. . . . . . . .

[ 03-09-2002, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: NormMessinger ]

NormMessinger

NormMessinger

JimD
03-09-2002, 06:58 PM
I heard it like MemphisMike. The naptha we're all familiar with is the Coleman stuff for camping lanterns and stoves. Don't know where to get an old bugburner tho, Mike, but if I find one, I'll ship it to ya. We only have fly paper up here...

JimD
I heard it like MemphisMike. The naptha we're all familiar with is the Coleman stuff for camping lanterns and stoves. Don't know where to get an old bugburner tho, Mike, but if I find one, I'll ship it to ya. We only have fly paper up here...

JimD

Memphis Mike
03-09-2002, 07:35 PM
Ya don't understand Jimbo. This is a device designed to protect a miner from a methane gas
explosion.

Memphis Mike
Ya don't understand Jimbo. This is a device designed to protect a miner from a methane gas
explosion.

Memphis Mike
explosion.

rodcross
03-10-2002, 02:15 AM
I've never understood how those mining lamps worked. The only thing I came to, all by myself, is that it is a better idea to light them BEFORE you're in the mine.

Or else... :eek: :eek:

[ 03-10-2002, 03:16 AM: Message edited by: rodcross ]

rodcross
I've never understood how those mining lamps worked. The only thing I came to, all by myself, is that it is a better idea to light them BEFORE you're in the mine.

rodcross

PilotArt
03-10-2002, 10:03 AM
The label on the fuel for a Zippo type lighter says that it's Naptha.

Recall that there were "Naptha Launches" popular around turn of 19-20th Century.

Thought that they used Naptha instead of water :eek: and condensed it back to liquid with a 'keel cooler'. Would think that they would have burned it for fuel :rolleyes:

PilotArt

Recall that there were "Naptha Launches" popular around turn of 19-20th Century.

Thought that they used Naptha instead of water :eek: and condensed it back to liquid with a 'keel cooler'. Would think that they would have burned it for fuel :rolleyes:

PilotArt

Ian G Wright
03-10-2002, 11:58 AM
It all depends on specific gravity and at what temperature the stuff evaporates.
I rode a 1904 Norton once with a surface carb', a little warmth or the application of a C natural tuning fork made starting much better...

IanW.

Ian G Wright
It all depends on specific gravity and at what temperature the stuff evaporates.
I rode a 1904 Norton once with a surface carb', a little warmth or the application of a C natural tuning fork made starting much better...

IanW.

Ian G Wright

IanW.