PDA

View Full Version : Like it used to be

Paul
10-11-2000, 07:41 AM
A few posts back, I was asking advise on what color to use on my Haven decks. Ross suggested using the color that Alerion's decks were painted. I called Kirby's and told him what I wanted. He didn't have the anwer at the moment but said he would call me right back, which he did and said he could make it up and ship right away. Not only that, he remembered me from a previous order or two. When my paint arrived, not only did I have my order but a personal hand written letter (mind you) thanking me for my business and George had included an old paint label, suitable for framing that was just beautiful. In addtion to that he also included some interesting articles about the history of his company. That's the way business used to be, and I wish more company's were like Kirby's paint.

Paul
A few posts back, I was asking advise on what color to use on my Haven decks. Ross suggested using the color that Alerion's decks were painted. I called Kirby's and told him what I wanted. He didn't have the anwer at the moment but said he would call me right back, which he did and said he could make it up and ship right away. Not only that, he remembered me from a previous order or two. When my paint arrived, not only did I have my order but a personal hand written letter (mind you) thanking me for my business and George had included an old paint label, suitable for framing that was just beautiful. In addtion to that he also included some interesting articles about the history of his company. That's the way business used to be, and I wish more company's were like Kirby's paint.

Paul

Ed Harrow
10-11-2000, 12:30 PM
It is indeed unfortunate that in our current society growth is viewed as good in and of itself. Beyond a certain point it becomes most difficult for a business to maintain that TRUE connection to its customers. The computers, accountants, procedures, etc, that come with growth all tend to eliminate this link.

In the world of nature a thing which grows continuously (at least within a living body) is often known as a cancer...

Ed Harrow
It is indeed unfortunate that in our current society growth is viewed as good in and of itself. Beyond a certain point it becomes most difficult for a business to maintain that TRUE connection to its customers. The computers, accountants, procedures, etc, that come with growth all tend to eliminate this link.

In the world of nature a thing which grows continuously (at least within a living body) is often known as a cancer...

Ed Harrow

Kermit
10-11-2000, 06:20 PM
Isn't it nice to get good news?

Kermit

Kermit

dngoodchild
10-12-2000, 06:50 AM
I would extend this to customers as well. I'm pretty much a one-man band in my little publishing business, and sometimes I get a bit behind on producing the books. My customers (all traditional boat people of course) are the most gentlemanly and patient on the earth. There are two great pleasures that I have found in this business; one is being able to keep some truly wonderful titles in print and the other is dealing with a customer base for which I have a very high regard.

dngoodchild
I would extend this to customers as well. I'm pretty much a one-man band in my little publishing business, and sometimes I get a bit behind on producing the books. My customers (all traditional boat people of course) are the most gentlemanly and patient on the earth. There are two great pleasures that I have found in this business; one is being able to keep some truly wonderful titles in print and the other is dealing with a customer base for which I have a very high regard.

dngoodchild