PDA

View Full Version : wooden boat buying

monkeymikey2000
01-15-2005, 08:04 PM
Hi, I'm seriously thinkink on buying a 32' wooden sloop built in 1965, I've owned sail boats before but I've never owned a wood boat. The boat in question is carvel construction, cedar planking over oak frames. The boat looks solid aside from some random cracked ribs, the ribs are cracked either at a bend or where a planking fastening is screwed in to the rib. I counted 4 cracked ribs in random locations. The head door also doesn't close easily, I'm wondering if that's from some sort of distortion, the mast compression post looks well and the deck is solid, maybe the damp northwest weather has just expanded the wood a little. I'm a handy person that will tackle any job but I don't want to get in over my head with major structure problems, I really like this boat and the price is right. I know wood boats need lots of maintanence but I'm scared of to many problems. Any advice would be very appreciated!
Mike

Thad
01-15-2005, 09:10 PM
The advice ye'll get is to pay for a proper survey by a knowledgeable surveyor. Otherwise look her over again and again yourself, and talk to everyone else who might know more about the boat, until you are settled in your mind that you have her all under control or not. A good surveyor will give you a comprehensive report describing all problems and how to deal with them. Hopefully well worth the money.

Tristan
01-15-2005, 09:22 PM
Oh boy! I second the PROPER SURVEY idea. And listen to the surveyer! Listen to the words that come out of his mouth! I once surveyed a small cabin sailboat for an acquantance and did a dam good job. After about three hours of crawling and poking with an icepick I explained that the boat was full of rot advised him to steer clear, and handed him a list of the extensive rebuilding he'd have to do if he expected to use it. He bought it anyhow and lived to regret it. Lowell p. Thomas, a "one time only" amature surveyer.

Hughman
01-15-2005, 10:12 PM
Bear with us, monkeymikey2000. This "get a survey' chant is job one. Pay the fee, it's worth more than you imagine at this point in your learning curve.

And make sure you get a WOODEN BOAT surveyor. To find a good recomendation for such an animal, ask other wooden boat owners, insurance companies that insure wooden boats (rare indeed!, look in the ads in our host magazine), and traditional boat shows.

The resulting report will save you lots of time and money, and provide you with a repair schedule as well, if you buy the boat.

Cullen T.M. McGough
01-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by monkeymikey2000:
..." I'm a handy person that will tackle any job but I don't want to get in over my head with major structure problems, I really like this boat and the price is right...."
MikeThere is no such thing as a minor structural problem in a wooden boat.