PDA

View Full Version : Jeb's just not fit for the office.

SullivanB
01-28-2016, 11:43 AM
I've often wondered why the media have not more thoroughly covered this ugly skeleton in Jeb Bush's closet. Perhaps it's because he's performed so poorly that he's not perceived by the media as a serious candidate and worthy of their attention. But since Jeb's not the only religious zealot among the Republican crazies vying for the top spot, it ought to be getting more attention.

The man's handling of the Terri Schiavo matter was among the most despicable conduct by a politician that I've ever witnessed, easily disqualifying him from service as our president or, for that matter, the ranks of even minimally enlightened humanity. It was a perfect example of the treachery and harm a religious zealot is capable of, and why such an individual ought never be placed in any public office where they might abuse the authority and power of the office.

The Schiavo debacle should serve as stark reminder of just how dangerous the 21st century political and religious right has become. A man who would do what Bush did with and to Terri Schiavo, and then actually use what he did in a political ad like this, actually believing it's something to brag about, is a dangerous man unfit for any political office, let alone, the presidency.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jeb-bush-terri-schiavo-ad-south-carolina_us_56a94592e4b0016489224843

TomF
01-28-2016, 11:49 AM
With the greatest respect, Sully, and in no way intended to disagree ... isn't the Schaivo thing pretty much loose pocket change compared with a lot of the "policy" on the GOP hustings?

Keith Wilson
01-28-2016, 11:51 AM
The man's handling of the Terri Schiavo matter was among the most despicable conduct by a politician that I've ever witnessed . . Well, yes. That was a particularly unpleasant incident. However, I don't think it can be described as the actions of 'a religious zealot', but rather a politician trying to use others' religious zealotry for his own ends. I'm certain that if he hadn't seen political advantage in it, Mr Bush would never have done that.

OTOH, if you measure actual harm done, it is small change compared to, say, refusing Medicaid expansion, much less some of the things the Republican candidates are proposing

Norman Bernstein
01-28-2016, 11:53 AM
The event itself was pretty awful... the fact that he'd use it in a political ad goes beyond the pale.

SullivanB
01-28-2016, 12:11 PM
With the greatest respect, Sully, and in no way intended to disagree ... isn't the Schaivo thing pretty much loose pocket change compared with a lot of the "policy" on the GOP hustings?

Tom, I guess one can consider it old news or maybe small potatoes, compared to the totality of what the Republicans represent these days, but I think the Schiavo matter is maybe the perfect "flesh and blood" example of their hypocrisy and the very real dangers these people represent to our society. Bush literally took the law into his own hands, totally ignoring established law and societal convention, totally disregarding the established legal rights, not to mention the wishes and emotional well being, of her spouse.

If we're looking for demonstrable examples of what they're capable of, the Schiavo matter sure fills the bill, it seems to me. Probably, I was especially appalled at what happened because I well knew the legal issues, having dealt with similar matters before in my work, so that I knew the extent of his treachery. And that's just what it was, IMO.

SullivanB
01-28-2016, 12:28 PM
Well, yes. That was a particularly unpleasant incident. However, I don't think it can be described as the actions of 'a religious zealot', but rather a politician trying to use others' religious zealotry for his own ends. I'm certain that if he hadn't seen political advantage in it, Mr Bush would never have done that.

OTOH, if you measure actual harm done, it is small change compared to, say, refusing Medicaid expansion, much less some of the things the Republican candidates are proposing

Yes, political motivation was certainly involved, making it all the more despicable. But I've not seen Bush going to such extremes unless he was a "believer". Could be wrong.

I absolutely agree that the Republican refusal of the Medicaid expansion is a broader example of their malfeasance, obviously and more directly impacting many more lives than the Schiavo matter. If there's a situation where the phrase "death panels" might appropriately be applied, it's the Republicans who've refused to expand the Medicaid programs in their states. I don't have to see statistics to know that people have suffered and even died as a direct result.

In the Schiavo matter, the blatant disregard for established law was no small thing.

S.V. Airlie
01-28-2016, 12:39 PM
Ah, I get it, Sully has found the Jeb ad on FB using Terri!

SullivanB
01-28-2016, 01:01 PM
Ah, I get it, Sully has found the Jeb ad on FB using Terri!

Yep, and that whole thing really hit home especially hard with me. I guess if he were to become the nominee, we'd be hearing more about it on the media.

Gerarddm
01-28-2016, 01:07 PM
I have ALWAYS maintained that two people disqualified John Ellis from being a viable candidate: Dubya, and Terry Schiavo.

Nothing has happened to challenge that assertion. I thought Romney was an empty suit, but John Ellis comes close.

TomF
01-28-2016, 01:09 PM
I think you're right, that it's microcosm/macrocosm. The Schaivo debacle is a case study of the ethical framework which a President would apply to the sweep of issues.

I just don't see a significant enough difference between this ethical framework and those of Bush's GOP competitors to matter. I freely admit that I've not peered through the sewage looking for nuances, so might have missed something meaningful to someone simply desperate to vote Republican.

S.V. Airlie
01-28-2016, 01:12 PM
Sully, my take is Bush was wrong to but in, I agree but, it's at best a state issue. Medicare is a national one. Medicare is in every state and what he did worse then meddling into Terri's case. How are you going to make a national issue out of it?

SullivanB
01-28-2016, 01:34 PM
Sully, my take is Bush was wrong to but in, I agree but, it's at best a state issue. Medicare is a national one. Medicare is in every state and what he did worse then meddling into Terri's case. How are you going to make a national issue out of it?

I certainly agree that the Republican governors' refusal to expand Medicaid, as offered with the ACA, was and is a stinker that has negatively impacted millions upon millions of lives, and still is. Of course, Bush was out of office by the time the option came around.

If Bush were to end up the nominee, now perhaps even more unlikely as my own prediction of Brother Romney, it's something the Dems could utilize to further show the extent of the Republicans' disrespect for societal norms and established law, and the unsavory lengths to which they'll go to get their way. Probably, it's too isolated an event and too specific to Bush to be used in response to the other candidates.

CAPNBIL
01-28-2016, 01:48 PM
I certainly agree that the Republican governors' refusal to expand Medicaid, as offered with the ACA, was and is a stinker that has negatively impacted millions upon millions of lives, and still is. Of course, Bush was out of office by the time the option came around.

If Bush were to end up the nominee, now perhaps even more unlikely as my own prediction of Brother Romney, it's something the Dems could utilize to further show the extent of the Republicans' disrespect for societal norms and established law, and the unsavory lengths to which they'll go to get their way. Probably, it's too isolated an event and too specific to Bush to be used in response to the other candidates.

To top it off, remember the mob of Republican cronies who trooped down to Florida to join the chorus to push to keep those tubes inserted.

Sky Blue
01-28-2016, 01:53 PM
It was rather sad to watch poor Jeb purge himself of any last shred of humanity as he swung right in response to Trump and his followers.

Jeb seems to have a sense of entitlement about the nomination and seems discouraged that he would have to campaign for it. He doesn't understand the mood of the Republican primary electorate and fails to recognize that he personifies precisely what they are rebelling against.

S.V. Airlie
01-28-2016, 01:56 PM
Republican fears, lies,k and hate! You're right that's what the GOP is all about. That's why Trump and Cruz is leading the pack!