PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl - Cam Newton

David G
01-27-2016, 07:09 PM
QB admits to realizing racism plays a part in how people perceive him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cam-newton-im-african-american-qb-scares-people-210622631--nfl.html

johnw
01-27-2016, 07:23 PM
I don't know what Doug Williams faced when he won the Superbowl in 1988, but Russell Wilson seems to get a really positive reaction both from the community and from the sports press. Why is Newton being treated differently? He'd be the third African American quarterback to win the superbowl if he pulls it off. How long does it take for people to get used to that?

Tom Montgomery
01-27-2016, 07:40 PM
I don't know what Doug Williams faced when he won the Superbowl in 1988, but Russell Wilson seems to get a really positive reaction both from the community and from the sports press. Why is Newton being treated differently?Because one plays in Washington State while the other plays in the State of North Carolina?

Doug Williams played professional football over 25 years ago in the State of Virginia.

Hmmm....

Sky Blue
01-27-2016, 08:09 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say that Washington State is particularly more enlightened than anywhere else, especially as one travels East of the Cascades.

What about the Donovan McNabbs, the Cordell Stewarts, the Warren Moons, the Michael Vicks, the Daunte Culpeppers, and on and on and on...

Maybe ol' Cam ought to have a sit down with Mr. Moon...

Gerarddm
01-27-2016, 10:06 PM
It's not much of a stretch to say that Russell Wilson is practically beloved around here. I might also note that in interesting comparison to some other teams, the Seahawks are predominately black in their starting lineup. And that several of them are almost equally beloved - Marshawn, Thomas Rawls, Richard Sherman, Doug Baldwin, Earl Thomas, for examples.

bamamick
01-28-2016, 08:12 AM
Cam Newton is a polarizing figure for a number of reasons:

Pros:

-won a JUCO national title
-won a national championship at Auburn
-won the Heisman Trophy while at Auburn
-returned to Auburn and got his degree in the NFL off-season
-will win the MVP and most likely the Super Bowl playing for Carolina
-genuinely seems to enjoy dealing with the fans, especially children
-apparently well-liked by the paying public, if endorsements are any indication

Cons:

-was thrown off the football team at Florida for unethical behaviour (hence his time at the JUCO)
-spent pretty much his entire year at Auburn under a cloud of controversy, and under NCAA investigation after multiple boosters and representatives of Mississippi State claimed his father 'shopped' him to them at a price of $180,000. Was eventually suspended by the NCAA, but was immediately re-instated after applying. So that was weird, right?
-lots of rumors about irregularity surrounding his father and boosters while at Auburn, including major monetary gifts to his father's church from people associated with Auburn.
-although he set records for passing yards while a rookie at Carolina, his leadership was repeatedly questioned, as he would sit on the bench by himself during losses with a towel over his head and refuse to speak with his coaches or team mates. Being fair, he isn't the only one I have ever seen do this, but the camera sure liked to find him while he was sitting there.
-not that there is anything wrong with it, but his girlfriend and the mother of his son is a former stripper.

So as you can see, 'people' can say that there are racial reasons why some don't appreciate Newton's talent, but there are plenty of other reasons if you want to look for them. Charles Barkley, himself an Auburn grad, said that if he was a player in the NFL and the Panthers were showing his team up with their post-score celebrations (this 'dabbing' thing they do is in reference to what happens to you after you take a hit of a type of synthetic marijuana. It's so strong your head 'dips' after you take a drag of it) that he would take out a hit on Cam's knees or try to knock him out the game in some other way.

He is certainly very popular in the Carolinas, if not too many other places.

Mickey Lake

Paul Pless
01-28-2016, 08:33 AM
well said mickey - seems cam is engaging in a bit of virtue signalling. . .

L.W. Baxter
01-28-2016, 09:07 AM
I think it's more culture shock than color. Cam is the first really successful QB who behaves like a diva wide-receiver, complete with elaborate dances and gyrating hips.

The quarterback position has been the last bastion of the puritan/stoic tradition of manhood, the tradition that requires a kind of military rigidness emotionally. Cam shreds the old paradigm, the one that many American men cling to as they self-identify with the noble Field Marshal.

Paul Pless
01-28-2016, 09:09 AM
I think it's more culture shock than color. Cam is the first really successful QB who behaves like a diva wide-receiver, complete with elaborate dances and gyrating hips.

The quarterback position has been the last bastion of the puritan/stoic tradition of manhood, the tradition that requires a kind of military rigidness emotionally. Cam shreds the old paradigm, the one that many American men cling to as they self-identify with the noble Field Marshal.what about kickers?

L.W. Baxter
01-28-2016, 09:30 AM
what about kickers?

Nobody self-identifies with the kicker.

David G
01-28-2016, 09:38 AM
Nobody self-identifies with the kicker.

Sad, but true.

I don't think any of us can say for certain that racism plays a part in the criticism of Cam Newton. Or... if it does... precisely how big a part.

But I think to dismiss the notion that racism is a component is probably unrealistic.

Sky Blue
01-28-2016, 09:59 AM
25% of the league's teams started a black QB on week 1 of the 2015 season. Black folks are about 12% of the US population.

Racism is racism and exists where it does, but the issue of opportunity, it seems, has been resolved.

Norman Bernstein
01-28-2016, 10:57 AM
Hmmmm.... seems like he's got just about as many reasons for people to hate him, as they did Tom Brady.

Paul Pless
02-08-2016, 08:08 AM
Bump

bamamick
02-08-2016, 08:25 AM
Yeah, the rest of the country saw a side of Newton that some of us have seen before, and it's not quite the big shiny smiling Cam Newton they are used to. He doesn't seem to handle adversity as well as he might.

Mickey Lake

Paul Pless
02-08-2016, 09:41 AM
its hard to get enough of this. . . :D

Wow. He is much bigger than Michael Vick and might run nearly as quickly on 75 lbs. heavier with an equal arm. There has never been anything quite like Cam Newton in the history of football.

Bobby of Tulsa
02-08-2016, 09:47 AM
Maybe he should stop ripping banners and signs down that are not his. He is an arrogant punk who needs to grow up.

ccmanuals
02-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Look at the history of black quarterbacks in the NFL. There is much to it than what appears on the surface. The NY Times recently did a good article on this and is quite enlightening.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/06/sports/football/warren-moon-clearing-way-for-black-quarterbacks-recalls-his-struggles.html?_r=0

Vince Brennan
02-08-2016, 06:47 PM
Every time I criticized "St. Cammie" around here I was jumped on since he was "an Auburn hero" (?) and a personable and engaging young man, according to wife, daughter, Grand-daughter (at Auburn now), her "affiance" (also at Auburn) and his whole friggin' clan (their houses are UPHOLSTERED in orange!) who all considered the Yankee to have it in for him.

He reminds me most of Tyrell Owens, whom I genially and thoroughly detest.

I would have been delighted to see "The Kid" succeed, he DID have a dream year with only two losses, but I was equally delighted to see Manning hit 200 wins, win the 2nd Super Bowl ring (now Archie won't have to hit the other kid to shut him up) and position himself for a graceful retirement from the NFL, unlike someone else who shall remain nameless.

Newton's (to me) incredible bad manners and surly attitude can only be explained by immaturity, a mis-placed sense of self-importance and the constant stroking of his ego by the media and commercial backers.

I really wish he'd picked someone other than T.O. to channel. Damn shame.

johnw
02-08-2016, 07:16 PM
I think he lets people get into his head.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/09/sports/super-bowl-carolina-panthers-cam-newton.html
“Hey, when things don’t go his way, we see the body language — it’s obvious,” Broncos safety T.J. Ward said of Newton. “That’s what we wanted to do. That was our intent: to come in this game and get the body language going. We didn’t want the happy, fun-spirited, dabbing Cam. No, we want the sulking, upset, talking to my linemen, my running backs, ‘I don’t know what’s going on’ Cam Newton — and that’s what we got.”

The guy has incredible talent. When he's on, it's fun to watch him play. But if I'm on the team, I want someone who is focused on turning things around. Russel Wilson doesn't have his size, and that's a problem, but he keeps his focus really well, and when he's talking in public after the game, he says the right things to make sure the team feels right about it. That's the contrast I see. Maybe Wilson is just better at not letting things show, like Warren Moon was talking about. But what I mostly see is a guy who feels more gratitude for the help he's received and the opportunities he's had. After the Superbowl, Wilson wrote a nice thank-you note to Peyton for inspiring him at a football camp when he was a kid.

hokiefan
02-08-2016, 07:27 PM
For what it's worth, Russell Wilson was very well liked when he played at North Carolina State.

Hugh Conway
02-08-2016, 11:30 PM

The quarterback position has been the last bastion of the puritan/stoic tradition of manhood, the tradition that requires a kind of military rigidness emotionally. Cam shreds the old paradigm, the one that many American men cling to as they self-identify with the noble Field Marshal.

The quote from the article in the OP that most stands out is:

''People are going to judge, and have opinions on things I don't have control over,'' Newton said.
sort of summarizes the problem many people have with Cam. He doesn't get it.

QB is a leadership position. Great QBs - for current ones still on their game, Brady and Rodgers - get things done against the odds. They make things happen. And they know they'll get the credit for that and the blame for things that aren't under their control.

bobbys
02-09-2016, 12:05 AM
I like him more better then tom Brady.

LongJohn
02-09-2016, 12:24 AM
I like him more better then tom Brady.

Faint praise...

- John