PDA

View Full Version : A good guy with a gun, infortunately, he was drunk.

Jim Bow
01-22-2016, 08:05 PM
Evening TV is reporting that the "suspect" in this case got inebriated and decided to go to the movies. He took his gun in case a mass shooter might enter the theater. Instead, he was fiddling with the gun and shot a woman in the back. They also report that he was properly licensed.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/woman-shot-during-screening-of-michael-bay%E2%80%99s-benghazi-movie-%E2%80%9913-hours%E2%80%99/ar-BBoztcD?ocid=ansmsnent11v

CWSmith
01-22-2016, 08:36 PM
I'm surprised it doesn't happen more.

Boater14
01-22-2016, 08:51 PM
You gun guys....isn't it a good rule of thumb to leave it holstered till you need it?

Phillip Allen
01-22-2016, 08:52 PM
You gun guys....isn't it a good rule of thumb to leave it holstered till you need it?

yep...

Phillip Allen
01-22-2016, 08:54 PM
I cannot imagine having a pistol that I didn't know if was in a firing condition...I doubt I would keep one chambered in any circumstance

Bob Adams
01-22-2016, 08:55 PM

Its a cardinal rule. A case of stupidity. On top of that, Responsible gun owners NEVER interact with a gun when drinking period. Mr. Smith, it doesn't happen more because, thankfully, the vast majority of gun owners are responsible.

Phillip Allen
01-22-2016, 08:57 PM
I'm surprised it doesn't happen more.

of course you're surprised if you believe the fear mongerers

John Smith
01-22-2016, 08:59 PM
Its a cardinal rule. A case of stupidity. On top of that, Responsible gun owners NEVER interact with a gun when drinking period. Mr. Smith, it doesn't happen more because, thankfully, the vast majority of gun owners are responsible.

I don't think anyone has ever disagreed that the vast majority of gun owners are responsible. They are also responsible for the inability to do anything to not let the irresponsible have guns

lupussonic
01-22-2016, 09:01 PM
I was caught by the cops in an XXX rated cinema once, fiddling with my thing. I exclaimed innocence of course, blurting "honestly officer, I was just cleaning it, and it went off!"...

Canoeyawl
01-22-2016, 09:06 PM
The poor woman.
Imagine if it was your wife or daughter shot in the back. Yet this friggin idiot has the right to have that "accident" and some will defend him and his" right" to accidentally shoot people in the back in a darkened movie theater. Oh yeah he's a good guy alright.
Jeebus...

CWSmith
01-22-2016, 09:07 PM

They are, but those are not the people we're talking about. My cousins and uncle hunt, but they don't take their guns to the movie theater and they don't fondle it in the dark.

Hold that thought. The carry laws are new. We will see more of this as this insane behavior by untrained "good guys" grows.

of course you're surprised if you believe the fear mongerers

You mean "mongers". If you look up "mongerers", you won't want to use that word.

What I know is that the best response to a bad guy with a gun is to take the gun away from him. Barring that, the would-be heroes had better learn how to do the job. This particular @ss needs to go to prison. He endangered others with a deadly weapon through his careless actions.

RonW
01-22-2016, 09:08 PM
I was caught by the cops in an XXX rated cinema once, fiddling with my thing. I exclaimed innocence of course, blurting "honestly officer, I was just cleaning it, and it went off!"...

This thread might help you........

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?202015-English-Law-what-a-Joke

BrianW
01-22-2016, 09:09 PM
The poor woman.
Imagine if it was your wife or daughter shot in the back. Yet this friggin idiot has the right to have that "accident" and some will defend him and his" right" to accidentally shoot people in the back in a darkened movie theater. Oh yeah he's a good guy alright.
Jeebus...

Lets wait for that defender shall we...

BrianW
01-22-2016, 09:12 PM
Evening TV is reporting that the "suspect" in this case got inebriated and decided to go to the movies. He took his gun in case a mass shooter might enter the theater. Instead, he was fiddling with the gun and shot a woman in the back. They also report that he was properly licensed.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/woman-shot-during-screening-of-michael-bay%E2%80%99s-benghazi-movie-%E2%80%9913-hours%E2%80%99/ar-BBoztcD?ocid=ansmsnent11v

Given my list of friends on Facebook, I get many links to actual good guys with a gun helping themselves, or others, from criminal activity. This is not a case of a 'good guy with a gun'.

It's my opinion you've incorrectly titled this thread.

RonW
01-22-2016, 09:15 PM
Of course the thread has been incorrectly titled, and that was done on purpose . Liberals prefer deceptiveness.

The Bigfella
01-22-2016, 09:16 PM
Given my list of friends on Facebook, I get many links to actual good guys with a gun helping themselves, or others, from criminal activity. This is not a case of a 'good guy with a gun'.

... and therein lies the problem. Many who think they are a "good guy with a gun" end up being the bad guy through some sort of brain explosion, accident or just plain bad luck. Remove the guns from, in this case, the theatre... and there's no problem.

Phillip Allen
01-22-2016, 09:23 PM
Of course the thread has been incorrectly titled, and that was done on purpose . Liberals prefer deceptiveness.

a simple minded attempt at ridicule... failed

lupussonic
01-22-2016, 09:23 PM
Accidents happen, even the best of us have them. He may have been a well intentioned man just trying to get comfortable and shifting it in his holster. He may have been a well intentioned man just trying to get comfortable and shifting it in his holster but he'd had three too many beers. He may have been a well intentioned man just trying to get comfortable and shifting it in his holster but he'd had three too many beers, and recentely lost his Dad to cancer.

The bottom line is he had a gun. No gun, no dead person.

Phillip Allen
01-22-2016, 09:24 PM
... and therein lies the problem. Many who think they are a "good guy with a gun" end up being the bad guy through some sort of brain explosion, accident or just plain bad luck. Remove the guns from, in this case, the theatre... and there's no problem.

how about a graph and some numbers... absolute numbers, please

Phillip Allen
01-22-2016, 09:32 PM
They are, but those are not the people we're talking about. My cousins and uncle hunt, but they don't take their guns to the movie theater and they don't fondle it in the dark.

Hold that thought. The carry laws are new. We will see more of this as this insane behavior by untrained "good guys" grows.

You mean "mongers". If you look up "mongerers", you won't want to use that word.

What I know is that the best response to a bad guy with a gun is to take the gun away from him. Barring that, the would-be heroes had better learn how to do the job. This particular @ss needs to go to prison. He endangered others with a deadly weapon through his careless actions.

okay... take em away if you can... and you're right, don't carry if you are clueless bout when and how to use it

you can practice taking them away in the middle east... be sure to do it personally rather than send someone else to do your job

CWSmith
01-22-2016, 09:37 PM
be sure to do it personally rather than send someone else to do your job

Actually, it's not my job. That's the problem here. Too many people believe they must live outside the rule of law and be the law. They watch too many movies. They are maroons and I strongly suspect that the vast majority of them are zeroes in other aspects of their life as well.

Phillip Allen
01-22-2016, 09:37 PM
I'll check back in the morning to see if this gets shrill enough to qualify as sounding like someone stepped on a poodle

lupussonic
01-22-2016, 09:39 PM
Are you scared of the crayzee Ayrab rag-tops Philip?

On the issue of Mongers, I met a cheese monger once. He told me he was exactly the same as a war monger.

Except he did it with cheese.

Gerarddm
01-22-2016, 09:43 PM
More guns = more shootings.

No guns = no shootings.

Purty simple math.

The Bigfella
01-22-2016, 09:56 PM
how about a graph and some numbers... absolute numbers, please

As requested.

Graph:

http://www.xamuel.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/6.jpg

Absolute numbers:

One million dead Americans (non warfare) due to gunshot wounds in the last 30 years.

Every 41st American male death in the last 30 years due to gunshot.

CWSmith
01-22-2016, 10:01 PM

That's the one that gets me. Not 1 in 41 murders or suicides. We all die. Better than 2% of us die from a gun. By any measure that means "Too soon and before our time."

The Bigfella
01-22-2016, 10:05 PM
That's the one that gets me. Not 1 in 41 murders or suicides. We all die. Better than 2% of us die from a gun. By any measure that means "Too soon and before our time."

Exactly.

However, every time Old Mate sees that number, the cone of ignorance descends around whatever brain cells exist.

CWSmith
01-22-2016, 10:09 PM
Exactly.

However, every time Old Mate sees that number, the cone of ignorance descends around whatever brain cells exist.

Sometimes you move forward without those who refuse to go.

You know the old joke that ends, "...hit the ball, drag Pat." Sometimes, that's what we have to do.

CK 17
01-22-2016, 10:17 PM
You gun nuts own this one. One of your own got drunk and shot a woman in the back. It's that simple.

David G
01-22-2016, 10:58 PM

You could be right. Although... OH, I know! Let's ask the NRA whether he was one of the good guys.

CWSmith
01-22-2016, 11:16 PM
I'm reminded of recent stories (past 6 months?).

There was the guy fiddling with his gun in church. It went off.

There was the woman who shot the toilet out from under herself.

How many other stupid accidents am I forgetting where a gun discharged because our gun culture says, "You should carry your gun everywhere without the proper training or psychology to do so."? I can't believe this guy in the movie theater was just the third.

Old Dryfoot
01-22-2016, 11:19 PM
Never mind playing with it, what about sleeping with it? (http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-gun-pillow-fires-guard-sleeps-kills-boy-36399340)

Jim Bow
01-23-2016, 12:24 AM
Anyone who is too afraid to go to the movies unarmed should just stay home and watch television.

Jim Bow
01-23-2016, 02:58 AM

Wrong. The guy took his gun to the theater because he wanted to be prepared for a possible mass shooter. He wanted to be LaPierre's "good guy with a gun". Thus, the title.

BrianW
01-23-2016, 03:59 AM
You gun nuts own this one. One of your own got drunk and shot a woman in the back. It's that simple.

Weird. I thought you carried a handgun at times. Guess I was wrong.

seanz
01-23-2016, 04:10 AM

Surely you can't be categorizing him as a gun-nut simply because he carries a gun?

skuthorp
01-23-2016, 04:48 AM
Heh, I read the title as ironic as soon as I read the opening sentence.
I imagine he'll be in some trouble, unless being 'drunk at the time' is still a defence.

BrianW
01-23-2016, 04:57 AM
Surely you can't be categorizing him as a gun-nut simply because he carries a gun?

He didn't just categorized a whole bunch of people himself, he laid blame at their feet. I have no problem asking if he carries a gun for protection.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-23-2016, 05:03 AM
Is there a difference between a gun nut, and a drunk nut with a gun?

BrianW
01-23-2016, 05:13 AM
Is there a difference between a gun nut, and a drunk nut with a gun?

They both appear to be derogatory terms now. Although rightfully so in the latter case.

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 06:56 AM

basically, for some democrats here, anyone who has a gun but doesn't vote democrat is a gun nut... the terrm simply isn't applied to democrats

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 06:58 AM
Wrong. The guy took his gun to the theater because he wanted to be prepared for a possible mass shooter. He wanted to be LaPierre's "good guy with a gun". Thus, the title.

what practical thing (in your not so humble opinion) do you do to avoid being a victim of a shooting on the mass scale?

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 06:59 AM
Never mind playing with it, what about sleeping with it? (http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-gun-pillow-fires-guard-sleeps-kills-boy-36399340)

got any absolute numbers or did you just pick that out of your 'hat'?

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 07:02 AM

pretty broad brush... I'll remember that

Peerie Maa
01-23-2016, 07:02 AM
got any absolute numbers or did you just pick that out of your 'hat'?

How many dead children is acceptable Phillip? One, ten, an hundred, or none? You must have a number in mind or you would not ask for any.

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 07:04 AM
As requested.

Graph:

http://www.xamuel.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/6.jpg

Absolute numbers:

One million dead Americans (non warfare) due to gunshot wounds in the last 30 years.

asinine... it comes naturally to you?

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 07:05 AM
I'll check back in the morning to see if this gets shrill enough to qualify as sounding like someone stepped on a poodle

I left out accusatory... otherwise, someone one stepped on a poodle

The Bigfella
01-23-2016, 07:13 AM
asinine... it comes naturally to you?

The common element is you.

I'll say it again:

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 07:13 AM
Actually, it's not my job. That's the problem here. Too many people believe they must live outside the rule of law and be the law. They watch too many movies. They are maroons and I strongly suspect that the vast majority of them are zeroes in other aspects of their life as well.

who is living outside that rule of law? if this guy broke the law, I'll agree on that point but you won't get by with just making a false statement in order to drag others non applicable factors in that only cloud the issue.

also, everyone in that movie house must watch too many movies by your standards

I agree that people who live outside the law and watch movies are morons but it doesn't have much do do with movies

who is always telling me to think before I post?

Duncan Gibbs
01-23-2016, 07:21 AM
Just about everyone.

Peerie Maa
01-23-2016, 07:22 AM

That would be me. Its good that you noticed, even if your memory is flaky on the subject. Now to the next step. Phillip, think before you post.

Duncan Gibbs
01-23-2016, 07:23 AM
what practical thing (in your not so humble opinion) do you do to avoid being a victim of a shooting on the mass scale?
Don't go out at all!

Ever!

:p

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 07:28 AM

I don't think any practical suggestion we could make would, in your opinion, be practical.

Peerie Maa
01-23-2016, 07:29 AM

Well, as I am too old for school, I'd stay out of theatres and churches in the US. Puts a crimp in my "Freedom" though.

The Bigfella
01-23-2016, 07:32 AM
Phillip.... think before you post, please. If it makes your brain hurt... don't post

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 07:46 AM
Well, as I am too old for school, I'd stay out of theatres and churches in the US. Puts a crimp in my "Freedom" though.No such thing about too old for school, knowledge is acquired, if allowed, every day. A man who doesn't learn something every day shows that he makes no effort to.

Bob Adams
01-23-2016, 08:18 AM
I am hesitant to chime into gun threads, and I really dislike making the gun vs gun comparison, something does need to be said. First, as most know, I am in favor of background checks and registration. This man apparently had a CC permit so one can assume he was properly vetted. This was about him being drunk with a gun. About a month ago I believe in Las Vegas, a drunk woman drove her car, deliberately with the intent to kill, into a crowd of people. I do not recall a spirited discussion here on what should be done to legal car owners to prevent this kind of event.

Duncan Gibbs
01-23-2016, 08:25 AM
I dare say she will be banned from driving and go to gaol. But cars are designed as a means of transport (not killing), whilst guns are designed to kill and are wholly incapable of picking up the kids from school.

Vince Brennan
01-23-2016, 08:25 AM
of course you're surprised if you believe the fear mongerersWith all due respect to the prohibition against being nasty, you, sir, are a myopic idiot if you cannot see that the ability to carry a handgun, nay, to OWN an handgun, is the single major contributor to 99.9% of these personal disasters.

Proponents scream that infringing their rights to have a firearm at hand and ready to perpetrate mayhem is somehow a necessity for their being able to "defend" themselves against "a bad guy with a firearm".

Seriously?

If you need a firearm to supply food for your family, show cause and get a specific license.

Otherwise, learn how to throw a knife, learn Tae-Qu'an-Do, learn how to run real fast.

Paul Pless
01-23-2016, 08:40 AM
I've little issue with the stated desire for folks to own handguns for self defense (other than the inconvenient fact that its well established that owning a gun makes you much more likely to be a victim of gun violence than if you did not). But my thoughts are evolving to conclude that fairly strict licensing involving mental and emotional health screening as well as proven aptitude in the safe carrying and use of a handgun should be required if you plan to leave your home with a handgun. I haven't gotten so far as for there to be a need for self defense via gun to be demonstrated to obtain such a license, but I'm getting there.

Bob Adams
01-23-2016, 08:40 AM
I dare say she will be banned from driving and go to gaol. But cars are designed as a means of transport (not killing), whilst guns are designed to kill and are wholly incapable of picking up the kids from school.

Not comparing purposes, comparing 2 devices with licensed operators. Responsible gun owners are not concerned with reasonable regulations. Like what are called for by most here. How many times have you heard "Autos are registered and their operator's licensed, why not guns?" From your reply, it seems this would not be enough. That's the fear of firearms owners, that there will never be enough regulation short of confiscation. There are too many guns in the hands of criminals for me to relinquish my guns. And no I am not being paranoid, my weapons have been used defensively twice, thankfully no shots fired.

The Bigfella
01-23-2016, 10:12 AM
Not comparing purposes, comparing 2 devices with licensed operators. Responsible gun owners are not concerned with reasonable regulations. Like what are called for by most here. How many times have you heard "Autos are registered and their operator's licensed, why not guns?" From your reply, it seems this would not be enough. That's the fear of firearms owners, that there will never be enough regulation short of confiscation. There are too many guns in the hands of criminals for me to relinquish my guns. And no I am not being paranoid, my weapons have been used defensively twice, thankfully no shots fired.

Ahh.... so gun owners are scaredy cats?

Bob Adams
01-23-2016, 10:21 AM
Ahh.... so gun owners are scaredy cats?

This is why there can be no "reasonable" debate here. I try to make a reasoned statement and it is met by snark.

CWSmith
01-23-2016, 10:28 AM
who is living outside that rule of law? if this guy broke the law, I'll agree on that point but you won't get by with just making a false statement in order to drag others non applicable factors in that only cloud the issue.

also, everyone in that movie house must watch too many movies by your standards

I agree that people who live outside the law and watch movies are morons but it doesn't have much do do with movies

Phillip, I don't really expect you to get this, but I'll say it for others who are reading this thread.

An armed, but untrained, man sitting in a movie theater anticipating a mass shooting thinks he is John Wayne. He is not. John Wayne was not John Wayne. He was Marion Robert Morrison and he pretended to be John Wayne in the movies. That jerk needs to be given the punishment he deserves if for no other reason than to teach him he is not John Wayne.

The rule of law means that we all surrender some superficial freedoms because there are those who can not behave responsibly with them. That means responsible gun owners don't carry their guns into theaters. The police and the courts maintain law and order and if you don't like the way they do it, you get it changed. You vote. Contrary to what the gun culture preaches, guns will not keep you free in this society. Your vote will keep you free. That is the rule of law.

As for telling you to think before you post, you have me confused with someone else. I have given up hope and have never said that to you.

Paul Pless
01-23-2016, 10:31 AM
What compels a man to take a gun to a movie theater in anticipation of stopping a mass shooting? Is it delusion or is it fantasy?

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 10:39 AM
What compels a man to take a gun to a movie theater in anticipation of stopping a mass shooting? Is it delusion or is it fantasy?

if I thought there be a shooting... I'd stay home and call the police

elf
01-23-2016, 10:42 AM

Both.

Close to the same things that compel people to own guns.

Paul Pless
01-23-2016, 10:44 AM
Both.

I own guns and I do not think I live close to either delusion nor fantasy.

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 10:44 AM
Phillip, I don't really expect you to get this, but I'll say it for others who are reading this thread.

An armed, but untrained, man sitting in a movie theater anticipating a mass shooting thinks he is John Wayne. He is not. John Wayne was not John Wayne. He was Marion Robert Morrison and he pretended to be John Wayne in the movies. That jerk needs to be given the punishment he deserves if for no other reason than to teach him he is not John Wayne.

The rule of law means that we all surrender some superficial freedoms because there are those who can not behave responsibly with them. That means responsible gun owners don't carry their guns into theaters. The police and the courts maintain law and order and if you don't like the way they do it, you get it changed. You vote. Contrary to what the gun culture preaches, guns will not keep you free in this society. Your vote will keep you free. That is the rule of law.

As for telling you to think before you post, you have me confused with someone else. I have given up hope and have never said that to you.

go back and re reads my post and don't assume you know 'what I really mean" wfhen you respond...

watch too many movies? take that to court and see what the lawyers say

living outside the law?

ever speed outside the law?

all inclusive, emotional over reactions may not be against the law but it's against reason... work on it

Peerie Maa
01-23-2016, 10:48 AM
go back and re reads my post and don't assume you know 'what I really mean" wfhen you respond...

Classic. So if we answer your post, you can tell us that we don't know what you mean? Any post? Even the simple one syllable ones? Riiiight. ;)

The Bigfella
01-23-2016, 10:51 AM
Anyone need a fruitcake recipe?

the_gr8t_waldo
01-23-2016, 10:56 AM
Were was the "good guy with a gun", presumably to return fire? And ensuing "shoot out in the OK theater"? At a bare minimum this gun clown should of been arrested and license to carry voided for life. My hart goes out to the innocent victims. Only hope this clown has enough insurance to cover his stupidity.

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 11:00 AM
Were was the "good guy with a gun", presumably to return fire? And ensuing "shoot out in the OK theater? An a bare minuin this gun clown should of been arrested and license to carry voided for life.

I agree the guy was an idiot but what sort of citizen would ridicule a man who can't defend himself... you should know better... especially since you raised children

JimD
01-23-2016, 11:00 AM

My 0.02 is that guys who think this way are sane but empty of meaning in their lives or a sense of self worth. Most of us have had occasional silly fantasies of that defining moment where we do something heroic, something so out of the ordinary that allows us to no longer think of ourselves as ordinary people, which in truth most of us are. But most of us realize these passing fantasies are not to be pursued to the point of carrying guns everywhere in the feint hope of killing a bad guy and saving the day. Most of us are not so desperate.

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Classic. So if we answer your post, you can tell us that we don't know what you mean? Any post? Even the simple one syllable ones? Riiiight. ;)

you know what I mean but politically motivated interpolation is wrong...

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 11:04 AM
My 0.02 is that guys who think this way are sane but empty of meaning in their lives or a sense of self worth. Most of us have had occasional silly fantasies of that defining moment where we do something heroic, something so out of the ordinary that allows us to no longer think of ourselves as ordinary people, which in truth most of us are. But most of us realize these passing fantasies are not to be pursued to the point of carrying guns everywhere in the feint hope of killing a bad guy and saving the day. Most of us are not so desperate.

I agree and that is what I mean when I say someone is seeking standing among the ordinary

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 11:06 AM
I own guns and I do not think I live close to either delusion nor fantasy.

entirely within reason

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 11:10 AM
Both.

way out of line, Emily... people who own guns are no different than people who own cameras or vote for one party or another... they're just people and this does not compel you to judge them

Peerie Maa
01-23-2016, 11:18 AM
way out of line, Emily... people who own guns are no different than people who own cameras or vote for one party or another... they're just people and this does not compel you to judge them

Nothing wrong with owning a gun. Taking it to the cinema, or Walmart however . . .

the_gr8t_waldo
01-23-2016, 11:22 AM
What else could you call an adult male who treats a deadly weapon with such indifference as to put innocent others at risk? "NUT" just doesn't quite cover it. P.S. I failed to add , this guy actually fled the theater- so I seriously doubt he,ll meet his financial responsibility.

David G
01-23-2016, 11:23 AM
I am hesitant to chime into gun threads, and I really dislike making the gun vs gun comparison, something does need to be said. First, as most know, I am in favor of background checks and registration. This man apparently had a CC permit so one can assume he was properly vetted. This was about him being drunk with a gun. About a month ago I believe in Las Vegas, a drunk woman drove her car, deliberately with the intent to kill, into a crowd of people. I do not recall a spirited discussion here on what should be done to legal car owners to prevent this kind of event.

I too am a gun owner. I know lots of gun owners. All of them that I know, but one, seem perfectly capable of handling their guns safely and competently.

And yet we have these appalling statistics about injuries and deaths from firearms. And we have these highly publicized mass shootings. Regularly.

I've mention before that public opinion can reach a tipping point and turn swiftly. My ongoing fear is that this will occur on the issue of guns. And if it does, I can easily see the anti-gun hysterics seizing control of the narrative, and pushing thru gun control measures that serve only to produce feel-good headlines. That are both ineffective and needlessly draconian. I don't want to see that day. I'd much prefer that people who know guns, appreciate guns for what they both are and aren't, and who aren't under the sort of pressure that crisis induces, take the time now to design well-considered measures to address the problems in some reasonable way.

So I hate to hear folks making these sorts of comparisons. It sounds like the arguments made by apologists for cigarettes, water polluters, thalidomide, etc.

And the comparison ignores the fact that autos are a mode of transportation with overwhelmingly positive or benign uses. They're not designed to kill things - though, unfortunately they do - thru both accidents and pollution - and can even be used deliberately to do so. While guns are no longer a critical tool to our society. They have become more of a toy or hobby. And they ARE designed to kill things. So, on that basis alone, it's a False Equivalence... a superficial similarity only... and I'm sorry to see someone I respect fall for it.

But even if we were to consider them substantially equivalent, that would argue for 'shooter education' classes in high school. And written, gun-handling, and shooting testing before a license to use/own a gun was issued. And the requirement for insurance. Liability insurance at a minimum. In this fellow's case... maybe the testing would have weeded him out of the gun-owner's pool, or set up much weightier consequences for owning a gun illegally. Or maybe he would have remembered his training and not carried while drunk. And... at the very least... his insurance coverage would have helped his victims be 'made whole'. It would have given recourse to the woman he shot, or her family. And to the theater owners, who undoubtedly suffered some economic damages from the incident. And to the other viewers, some of whom may have suffered some damages from the emotional fallout. From a public policy standpoint... that might be a workable model to start with.

The Bigfella
01-23-2016, 11:28 AM
My wife has a simple phrase for it.

Ineffectual male

Duncan Gibbs
01-23-2016, 12:34 PM
But you are effectively comparing the two purposes by bringing up something else which has a great deal more regulation about it, from road rules to compulsory seat belt laws, registration of the vehicle and licensing of the operator, all of which are based upon thorough statistical analysis, long since proved correct, that society is much safer and better off with such laws.

Are any laws foolproof? No way. Does such a factor diminish their overall effectiveness. Absolutely not. Should such an approach be used to combat the awful toll of death, injury and cost to society incurred as a result of lack of proper firearm regulations and enforcement? You betcha!

seanz
01-23-2016, 01:32 PM
He didn't just categorized a whole bunch of people himself, he laid blame at their feet. I have no problem asking if he carries a gun for protection.

My apology. I thought about putting a smilie on my post but didn't. I won't make that mistake again.

Probably.
:)

David G
01-23-2016, 01:35 PM
So we REALLY need to keep hearing these types of stories?

http://news.yahoo.com/video/good-samaritan-shot-killed-trying-034128264.html

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 01:55 PM
What else could you call an adult male who treats a deadly weapon with such indifference as to put innocent others at risk? "NUT" just doesn't quite cover it. P.S. I failed to add , this guy actually fled the theater- so I seriously doubt he,ll meet his financial responsibility.

we were all called gun nuts when I was in high school...it was meant in a friendly way and not as an epithet by know-nothing, fearful, benighted political radicals.

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 01:56 PM
Times change after the wheel was invented right after you graduated PA!

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 02:08 PM
So we REALLY need to keep hearing these types of stories?

http://news.yahoo.com/video/good-samaritan-shot-killed-trying-034128264.html

I read it and there was almost no information at all... what gives?

Jim Mahan
01-23-2016, 02:08 PM
...take the time now to design well-considered measures to address the problems in some reasonable way...

Good luck with that. Seriously. Well-considered measures likely to pass with teeth.

On top of that, I think it would be a good idea if we jinned up a popular public awareness campaign to get the idea disseminated that being stupid and dangerous with guns is the one of the most embarrassing thing a person might do, other than wake up in the town square naked.

Seriously. If you think about it, most people are more afraid of being embarrassed or being thought a fool than dying. We need to make it generally and thoroughly understood by as many as possible that trying to be the ggwag, or trying to rescue America by being John Wayne or joining a 'militia' are some of the most stupid and foolish and embarrassing things a person could do.

If such a message got any traction, spread by Hollywood, for instance, it would go a long way toward stopping the gun carnage that almost all of us regard as egregious.

Paul Pless
01-23-2016, 02:09 PM
My apology. I thought about putting a smilie on my post but didn't. I won't make that mistake again.

Probably.
:)emoticons are for the weak

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 02:10 PM
Good luck with that. Seriously. Well-considered measures likely to pass with teeth.

On top of that, I think it would be a good idea if we jinned up a popular public awareness campaign to get the idea disseminated that being stupid and dangerous with guns is the one of the most embarrassing thing a person might do, other than wake up in the town square naked.

Seriously. If you think about it, most people are more afraid of being embarrassed or being thought a fool than dying. We need to make it generally and thoroughly understood by as many as possible that trying to be the ggwag, or trying to rescue America by being John Wayne or joining a 'militia' are some of the most stupid and foolish and embarrassing things a person could do.

If such a message got any traction, spread by Hollywood, for instance, it would go a long way toward stopping the gun carnage that almost all of us regard as egregious.

gun control passed in 1934 and again in 1968

you've had your chance and you're not fooling anyone anymore

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 02:12 PM
emoticons are for the weak

for a very long time I posted with a dead pan delivery but weak people got angry

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 02:13 PM
Brady Act was not 1968. Of course the right took that and removed as many teeth as it could from it. The broken record continues skipping and repeating PA, time to buy a new one!

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 02:16 PM
Jamie... the 1968 gun control act was in 1968... keep up

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 02:17 PM
And what was the Brady Act, Oatmeal?

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 02:21 PM
And what was the Brady Act, Oatmeal?

so?

I simply cited two gun control acts and now you have cited another... the aggregate is proof that the gun banning crowd will never stop and justifies stopping them in their tracks

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 02:23 PM
Typical response from PA! Hence, the major reason for putting him on ignore! Good bye!

David G
01-23-2016, 02:27 PM
emoticons are for the weak

:d:rolleyes::D

Bob Adams
01-23-2016, 02:33 PM
Typical response from PA! Hence, the major reason for putting him on ignore! Good bye!

If he ever replies to the Wal-Mart effect thread I'll quote him fer ya.

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 02:36 PM
If he ever replies to the Wal-Mart effect thread I'll quote him fer ya.

so far, Bob, I haven't looked at it... I don't intend to

Bob Adams
01-23-2016, 02:38 PM
so far, Bob, I haven't looked at it... I don't intend to

No kidding. What are you afraid of?

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 02:43 PM
No kidding. What are you afraid of?Probably the truth!

PA reminds me of a kid I grew up with and visit once a year tops. Hasn't learned anything since the day he dropped out of college, hasn't read a book, watches FOX news and doesn't have an original thought. I can't deal with him for more than ten minutes as he sounds like a freakin' broken record.

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 02:47 PM
No kidding. What are you afraid of?

it's not fear but I know that unionizing wm is your main drive... you can keep it as far as I'm concerned, you just want the cash for the union

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 02:48 PM
Probably the truth!

PA reminds me of a kid I grew up with and visit once a year tops. Hasn't learned anything since the day he dropped out of college, hasn't read a book, watches FOX news and doesn't have an original thought. I can't deal with him for more than ten minutes as he sounds like a freakin' broken record.

Jamie... YOU are the broken record and you aren't smart enough to hear it :)

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 02:50 PM
I don't care what you think I am or not, If I had any respect your you, I might but, I don't!You don't deserve any!

BrianW
01-23-2016, 02:59 PM

I would ask CK17 that question, if he confirms that he carries concealed, but haven't seen his reply to my question.

Two of us here who generally find ourselves in this debate don't carry in public (I sometimes carry in bear country).

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 03:03 PM
I actually asked Charlie Russell if he carried a gun working on Grizzlys for um 20 years (see Book Grizzly Country). He told me he did but, he enphasized he never had to shoot one.

Bob Adams
01-23-2016, 03:05 PM
it's not fear but I know that unionizing wm is your main drive... you can keep it as far as I'm concerned, you just want the cash for the union

WTF are you now? A mind reader? Don't quit your day job because you suck at it. I'm not even IN a union.

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 03:07 PM
Didn't stone masons have unions?

Bob Adams
01-23-2016, 03:08 PM
I don't want to hijack this thread. I wish he was man enough to take up the discussion on the Wal-Mart effect thread.

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 03:11 PM
I don't want to hijack this thread. I wish he was man enough to take up the discussion on the Wal-Mart effect thread.I doubt he will!

CWSmith
01-23-2016, 04:53 PM

watch too many movies? take that to court and see what the lawyers say

living outside the law?

ever speed outside the law?

all inclusive, emotional over reactions may not be against the law but it's against reason... work on it

You are hopeless. You quote things I don't believe I said and trivialize what I did.

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 06:29 PM
You are hopeless. You quote things I don't believe I said and trivialize what I did.

that makes us very similar... people tell me things I said that I didn't say

I was just pointing out that your post could have better worded

Bob Adams
01-23-2016, 06:41 PM
that makes us very similar... people tell me things I said that I didn't say

Wow. You have the gronicles to say that after that union remark about me? Remarkable.

Paul Pless
01-23-2016, 06:43 PM
Wow. You have the gronicles to say that after that union remark about me? Remarkable.not gronicle; dunning-kruger. . .

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 06:53 PM
not gronicle; dunning-kruger. . .

so long as you and others continue to call me stupid, you all leave yourselves wider open for anything I might say

and, unless I remember it wrong, Bob judges people by their affiliation with unions... a state within a state

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 06:54 PM
Wow. You have the gronicles to say that after that union remark about me? Remarkable.

I like my gronicles just fine

what's for supper, Bob?

Paul Pless
01-23-2016, 06:54 PM
unless I remember it wrong, Bob judges people by their affiliation with unionslike i was saying, dunning-kruger. . .

Bob Adams
01-23-2016, 06:57 PM
unless I remember it wrong, Bob judges people by their affiliation with unions... a state within a state

I couldn't care less about union or non union. I DO care about employer ethics, or lack of them.

Home made beef noodle soup.

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 07:00 PM
I couldn't care less about union or non union. I DO care about employer ethics, or lack of them.

Home made beef noodle soup.

sounds good... both sentences :)

I apologize, then, for my union comment

The Bigfella
01-23-2016, 08:19 PM
so long as you and others continue to call me stupid, you all leave yourselves wider open for anything I might say

and, unless I remember it wrong, Bob judges people by their affiliation with unions... a state within a state

OK, we'll leave that to you

Duncan Gibbs
01-23-2016, 08:23 PM
Talking of guns....

http://www.listen2unclejay.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/fishinabarrel.jpg

seanz
01-23-2016, 08:24 PM
"emoticons are for the weak" Ayn Rand.

Really?

:D:D:D

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 08:27 PM
Really?

:D:D:D

weekling! :)

BrianW
01-23-2016, 08:32 PM
I would ask CK17 that question, if he confirms that he carries concealed, but haven't seen his reply to my question.

CK17 has indicated he doesn't carry (and I'm guessing never carried.)

Paul Pless
01-23-2016, 08:35 PM
uhhh. . .

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 08:44 PM
I indicated a while back I might get a license... so far, haven't had enough interest to do it

seanz
01-23-2016, 08:45 PM
Were you supposed to tell everybody that?

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 08:46 PM
Were you supposed to tell everybody that?

I don't care very much at all... just a bit of sillyness

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 08:47 PM
Were you supposed to tell everybody that?I don't think he cares about silly things like licenses. Doesn't believe in lock boxes either, a closet is good enough!

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 08:54 PM
I don't think he cares about silly things like licenses. Doesn't believe in lock boxes either, a closet is good enough!

any of your children ever break into a closet with a dead bolt?

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 08:59 PM
I don't have kids but, I do think kids can break down a door, pick a lock etc. How much does it take really. Kids are not dumb. Maybe you are suggesting yours were. I could break into my father's locked gun cabinet with a nail file by the time I was ten. The difference or reason I didn't, I knew guns were not toys and needed to be not treated as such. You have a very cavelier way of treating yours, I suspect your kids got those vibes too.

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 09:01 PM
I don't have kids but, I do think kids can break down a door, pick a lock etc. How much does it take really. Kids are not dumb. Maybe you are suggesting yours were. I could break into my locked gun cabinet with a nail file by the time I was ten. The difference or reason I didn't, I knew guns were not toys and needed to be not treated as such. You have a very cavelier way of treating yours, I suspect your kids got those vibes too.

that's a bunch of nasty violent kids you expect to raise... I suspect if I had kids like that, I would be very depressed about it... now I understand you a bit better

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-23-2016, 09:03 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0BuvID10bgY/TMZRHYBZo9I/AAAAAAAADQg/RERJaWxI8K4/s1600/6a00d8341c03be53ef00e553de346f8833-800wi.jpg

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 09:05 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0BuvID10bgY/TMZRHYBZo9I/AAAAAAAADQg/RERJaWxI8K4/s1600/6a00d8341c03be53ef00e553de346f8833-800wi.jpg

is that a yawn or a large bark?

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 09:08 PM
Stick your hand out and find out. As it's lips aren't drawn back, I suspect it's a yawn.

Ian McColgin
01-23-2016, 09:11 PM
How did Phillip get from Jamie's "I don't have kids" [#132] to "that's a bunch of nasty violent kids you expect to raise"? [#133]

And how did he transform Jamie's understanding that children are amazingly inventive about how they get into stuff, from the normal creative curiosity of childhood that most parents respect, cherish and nourish, to the idea that these are "nasty violent kids"?

What a remarkable combination of vitriolic personal insult with no connection to the point being attacked.

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 09:11 PM
Stick your hand out and find out. As it's lips aren't drawn back, I suspect it's a yawn.

easy done... just reach out and grab the upper jaw and break his neck... you guys surely are a bunch of defeatists... it's a wonder you don't stand out in the rain and look up and drown

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 09:13 PM
How did Phillip get from Jamie's "I don't have kids" [#132] to "that's a bunch of nasty violent kids you expect to raise"? [#133]

And how did he transform Jamie's understanding that children are amazingly inventive about how they get into stuff, from the normal creative curiosity of childhood that most parents respect, cherish and nourish, to the idea that these are "nasty violent kids"?

What a remarkable combination of vitriolic personal insult with no connection to the point being attacked.

how did you decide I don't know how to install a door... you assume stupidity for one and ignore stupidity from another, Ian... stop insulting me and I'll be much easier to get along with

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 09:15 PM
Go for it PA. Break it's neck!

http://www.riams.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/vicious-dog.jpg

Bob Adams
01-23-2016, 09:18 PM
Is some one off his meds? I mean more than usual.

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 09:19 PM

What a remarkable combination of vitriolic personal insult with no connection to the point being attacked.I don't expect anything else Ian, that's PA!

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 09:20 PM
Go for it PA. Break it's neck!

http://www.riams.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/vicious-dog.jpg

haven't broken a neck yet but I've sent em squalling bay grabbing that jaw... they never expect that and It don't hurt my hands very bad.

if I can get it up in the air, death will follow... you don't really know very much and are anxious to show it off.

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 09:21 PM
I don't expect anything else Ian, that's PA!

if you don't expect anything else, why stalk me?

Paul Pless
01-23-2016, 09:23 PM
How did Phillip get from. . .to this???
easy done... just reach out and grab the upper jaw and break his neck...
haven't broken a neck yet but I've sent em squalling bay grabbing that jaw... they never expect that and It don't hurt my hands very bad.

if I can get it up in the air, death will follow... you don't really know very much and are anxious to show it off.

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 09:24 PM
Fart! I am responding to someone who consistently makes an idiot out of himself. If you stop posting such drivel, I wouldn't have to respond to you would I? Appears you can help yourself and pay for it. I'm not the only one who does. I suppose the others are stalkers too in your mind...

David G
01-23-2016, 09:26 PM
George... is that you?

Ian McColgin
01-23-2016, 09:28 PM
"how did you decide I don't know how to install a door." [#139]

Ah Phillip, I see no mention in what I wrote of any door. This is just another example of your obdurate changing subjects when you see that you were simply and flat out wrong. I don't desire or need to "assume stupidity". It's not at all my problem what you put on open display in your posts.

I actually don't care whether you are easy to get along with or not. I have many friends who are much harder to get along with that you'll ever be. But I value them because when we disagree they educate me and I educate them. It's strenuous and, like any hard exercise, can hurt a bit both emotionally and intellectually. Some folk are hard to get along with but are so very worth the effort. Some are not.

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 09:28 PM
to this???

bear with me, Paul. I once knew a woman in college who, with her husband, raised and trained attack dogs/self defense dogs. in the student union, once, I asked her a series of questions about their dogs. what if the bad guy had a heavy stick?
a heavy wrench?
a hammer?
a knife?
a gun?

to which she responded, they wouldn't matter because the dogs were trained... even with the gun to shoot the dog with, the dog woulds still kill the shooter

what a bunch of smart people down here!

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 09:31 PM
What in heck does that have to do with anything? If anything at all, the dog would chew your arm off. Oh right, you'd break it's neck.

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 09:33 PM
"how did you decide I don't know how to install a door." [#139]

Ah Phillip, I see no mention in what I wrote of any door. This is just another example of your obdurate changing subjects when you see that you were simply and flat out wrong. I don't desire or need to "assume stupidity". It's not at all my problem what you put on open display in your posts.

I actually don't care whether you are easy to get along with or not. I have many friends who are much harder to get along with that you'll ever be. But I value them because when we disagree they educate me and I educate them. It's strenuous and, like any hard exercise, can hurt a bit both emotionally and intellectually. Some folk are hard to get along with but are so very worth the effort. Some are not.

sure I mentioned about the door... I said I was a bricklayer and that my house is all masonry... that includes the closets and even if they were wooden doors, what adolescent boy would think his parents wouldn't notice a broken door... no... you all have kids taking an ax to closet doors and thinking no one would notice... just what sort of kids have you all raised?

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 09:35 PM
What in heck does that have to do with anything? If anything at all, the dog would chew your arm off. Oh right, you'd break it's neck.

don't be stupid... chew my arm off? you know very little of real life

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 09:36 PM

also, what it has to do with anything, is that you think like that woman

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 09:36 PM
Door locks/handles can be picked, doors can be unlocked with a plastic library card. How many closet doors are dead bolted? No need to damage the door. You would never notice!

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 09:37 PM
Ah, here is a viscous dog which you may be able to break it's neck with your hands PA.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/viscous-attack-dog.jpg

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 09:42 PM
Doors can be picked, doors can be unlocked with a plastic library card. How many closet doors are dead bolted?

the dead bolted doors are the ones that are dead bolted, it's another $20 and four screws... can't be picked with a plastic card... how many locks have you picked in earnest... one? two? more? what a self-appointed expert you are!

BrianW
01-23-2016, 09:44 PM
I could break into my father's locked gun cabinet with a nail file by the time I was ten. The difference or reason I didn't, I knew guns were not toys and needed to be not treated as such. You have a very cavelier way of treating yours, I suspect your kids got those vibes too.

Reading this, it appears Jamies childhood experiences closely match Phillips current situation. A locked cabinet/door that could be picked with effort, but the children present had good discipline and training and nothing happened.

It was good enough for Jamie, but now suddenly 'very cavalier' in Phillips case.

Interesting.

Not...

seanz
01-23-2016, 09:45 PM
"You two aren't here for the hunting, are you?"
A. Bear

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 09:46 PM
the dead bolted doors are the ones that are dead bolted. Well, DUH! How many closet doors are dead bolted? Simple question. I mean SIMPLE! Can you handle that, can you answer that question?

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 09:48 PM
Reading this, it appears Jamies childhood experiences closely match Phillips current situation. A locked cabinet/door that could be picked with effort, but the children present had good discipline and training and nothing happened.

It was good enough for Jamie, but now suddenly 'very cavalier' in Phillips case.

Interesting.

Not...

Jamie can't help himself at all... usually, I don't fool around with him but once in a while I point out his foolishness... I don't know why I bother

Ian McColgin
01-23-2016, 09:48 PM
At any rate, the shooter, who has yet to be named publicly, was scheduled to be arraigned on felony assault today. His claim is that it was accidental and that he'd "lost" his pistol. It appears that he attempted to either hide or ditch it but his wife found it on or near their home driveway. Then she heard the news about the shooting . . .

The suspect is said to have no previous felony record.

I am not convinced that a long prison sentence is necessary. I do think that there should be no circumstances where he's ever allowed to touch a firearm again and that to regain full civil liberty he must commit to sobriety. I also think he should be liable for damages to his victim.

Just as we have this problem with driving, we have a problem with the drunk shooters who get away with it for all to long. That problem is not easily solved.

We could, however, look at appropriate carry as part of one's permit. One should be prepared to legally justify bringing a firearm to a theater. Or a church. Or a shopping mall.

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 09:49 PM
the dead bolted doors are the ones that are dead bolted. Well, DUH! How many closet doors are dead bolted? Simple question. I mean SIMPLE! Can you handle that, can you answer that question?

any one that belongs to me that I want dead bolted, you hat

BrianW
01-23-2016, 09:53 PM
I am not convinced that a long prison sentence is necessary. I do think that there should be no circumstances where he's ever allowed to touch a firearm again and that to regain full civil liberty he must commit to sobriety. I also think he should be liable for damages to his victim.

Entirely reasonable, but it still seems a bit lenient.

We could, however, look at appropriate carry as part of one's permit. One should be prepared to legally justify bringing a firearm to a theater. Or a church. Or a shopping mall.

Those three location would be easy to justify based on past shootings.

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 09:54 PM
any one that belongs to me that I want dead bolted.

Wouldn't a chastity belt be more effective?

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 09:55 PM
At any rate, the shooter, who has yet to be named publicly, was scheduled to be arraigned on felony assault today. His claim is that it was accidental and that he'd "lost" his pistol. It appears that he attempted to either hide or ditch it but his wife found it on or near their home driveway. Then she heard the news about the shooting . . .

The suspect is said to have no previous felony record.

Just as we have this problem with driving, we have a problem with the drunk shooters who get away with it for all to long. That problem is not easily solved.

most makes sense but suppose he's more than 25 miles from home and decides to take in the movie... drive home then back (50 drunken miles) or just go to the movie (sober, of course)

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 09:58 PM
any one that belongs to me that I want dead bolted.

Wouldn't a chastity belt be more effective?

edited because it was cleaned up except for yet another Jamie type, asinine comment

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 09:59 PM
Decoder someone?

CWSmith
01-23-2016, 10:00 PM
most makes sense but suppose he's more than 25 miles from home and decides to take in the movie... drive home than back (50 drunken miles) or just go to the movie (sober, of course)

What?

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 10:01 PM
What?Use the ring!:)

Phillip Allen
01-23-2016, 10:02 PM
What?

get someone to help explain it to you

S.V. Airlie
01-23-2016, 10:16 PM
OKAY, let's use some logic here.

1) he was drunk at home 25 miles from the movie. He straps on his gun and goes to the movie just in case there is a "mad" shooter.

or

2) he straps on his gun sober, goes to a bar with gun, gets drunk, and goes to the movie afterwards still armed. Question, as you appear to be very cavalier about the gun and moreso, being drunk, why not put the gun in the locked glove compartment and not drive 25 miles to drop the gun at home? Doesn't make sense does it? This IS how I read your post.

And by the way, I doubt whether you would put a dead bolt on a closet door as closets have a variety of uses. You'd have to unlock the door to even grab a figgin' jacket or some other piece of apparel every time you open the closet door!.Heck, you won't even spring for a lock box! You've stated before you don't have one.