PDA

View Full Version : Plane talk

Kermit
11-02-2000, 10:08 PM
There's another choice. Just today I recieved a new catalog from Garret Wade, and someone there is paying attention. There hasn't been much choice for those wanting to purchase a new handplane. It's pretty much been either the Stanley/Record planes with the elegant plastic handles or the Lie-Nielsen models with the cherry handles. They are a couple of hundred bucks and more apart. Now comes someone here in the US stocking the Clifton line of Bailey-pattern planes, priced about in the middle. The #3, 4, and 5 are $199 apieceach. They appear to be worth a look.

They claim them to be "far superior" to the Stanley/Record tools. The level of finish appears to be much better than the S/R, and the price is about midway between the S/R and L-N. They say the frog is the "fully machined Bedrock-style." They are heavy! The #5 is 6 lbs--about 20% heavier than the #5 S/R. They have the #'s 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. Sorry, no corrugated soles.

I have an old Stanley #4 with a Clifton iron/cap iron, and can say that they are wondrous. I like it better than the Hock I have in a #5. If someone buys one, I'd sure like to hear your impressions. Oh--the Clifton's handles are Bubinga, and I don't own stock in any of these outfits.

Kermit
There's another choice. Just today I recieved a new catalog from Garret Wade, and someone there is paying attention. There hasn't been much choice for those wanting to purchase a new handplane. It's pretty much been either the Stanley/Record planes with the elegant plastic handles or the Lie-Nielsen models with the cherry handles. They are a couple of hundred bucks and more apart. Now comes someone here in the US stocking the Clifton line of Bailey-pattern planes, priced about in the middle. The #3, 4, and 5 are $199 apieceach. They appear to be worth a look.

They claim them to be "far superior" to the Stanley/Record tools. The level of finish appears to be much better than the S/R, and the price is about midway between the S/R and L-N. They say the frog is the "fully machined Bedrock-style." They are heavy! The #5 is 6 lbs--about 20% heavier than the #5 S/R. They have the #'s 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. Sorry, no corrugated soles.

I have an old Stanley #4 with a Clifton iron/cap iron, and can say that they are wondrous. I like it better than the Hock I have in a #5. If someone buys one, I'd sure like to hear your impressions. Oh--the Clifton's handles are Bubinga, and I don't own stock in any of these outfits.

Kermit

Tom Dugan
11-03-2000, 10:00 AM
Long before I became interested in boats, I took up woodworking as a hobby, and it didn't take long to figure out that with handtools, the older ones were not only better, but cheaper (this was before Tom L-N, etc).

Throughout the US, and most of the rest of the world, there are organizations - clubs, really - dedicated to the collection and preservation of old tools. A lot of these folks collect high end stuff, but (IMO) the majority are always on the lookout for user-grade stuff, and there's a growing market for user-grade tools out there.

Wherever you live, there is almost surely one of these organizations. Here in the DC area, the Potomac Antique Tools and Industries Association (PATINA) has bi-monthly get-togethers, where one of the primary activities is tailgate sales. It's fairly easy to pick up a vintage Stanley for $20-$40. Put an order in for a Hock iron (www.hocktools.com), and you're in business.

Check out www.mwtca.org (http://www.mwtca.org) for an idea of what's available. The Midwest Tool Collectors Association is national, but check out the "Meeting Schedule/Area Map" link to find out what's near you.

A list of local orgs can be found at http://www.oldtools.com/clubs.html

There! That's a good push down the slippery slope. Heh heh heh.

-T

Tom Dugan
Long before I became interested in boats, I took up woodworking as a hobby, and it didn't take long to figure out that with handtools, the older ones were not only better, but cheaper (this was before Tom L-N, etc).

Throughout the US, and most of the rest of the world, there are organizations - clubs, really - dedicated to the collection and preservation of old tools. A lot of these folks collect high end stuff, but (IMO) the majority are always on the lookout for user-grade stuff, and there's a growing market for user-grade tools out there.

Wherever you live, there is almost surely one of these organizations. Here in the DC area, the Potomac Antique Tools and Industries Association (PATINA) has bi-monthly get-togethers, where one of the primary activities is tailgate sales. It's fairly easy to pick up a vintage Stanley for $20-$40. Put an order in for a Hock iron (www.hocktools.com), and you're in business.

Check out www.mwtca.org (http://www.mwtca.org) for an idea of what's available. The Midwest Tool Collectors Association is national, but check out the "Meeting Schedule/Area Map" link to find out what's near you.

-T

Tom Dugan

-T

Tom Dugan
11-03-2000, 11:10 AM
I probably should add that all of these orgs allow and encourage non-members at the meetings/tailgate orgies.

Just in case you were afraid you had to join something http://media4.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

-T

Tom Dugan
I probably should add that all of these orgs allow and encourage non-members at the meetings/tailgate orgies.

Just in case you were afraid you had to join something http://media4.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

-T

Tom Dugan

-T

Don Maurer
11-03-2000, 11:14 AM
Just go to Ebay and search on antique tools. At least half the listings are for old Stanley planes and copies. A lot of the more common ones in working condition sell for bargain prices.

Don Maurer
Just go to Ebay and search on antique tools. At least half the listings are for old Stanley planes and copies. A lot of the more common ones in working condition sell for bargain prices.

Don Maurer

Kermit
11-03-2000, 06:20 PM
I couldn't agree more that the old tools are often the best and for the best prices. I just thought that if there's someone out there anal enough to cut absolutely no corners on "quality"--the type who only build bronze fastened carvel and varnish it all--this might fill a need. We all know the type--engineers, systems analysts, lawyers. LOL I still prefer flea market/garage sale planes, and only bother to replace irons that are trashed.

Thanks for the info, Tom! A new way to spend money and rationalize it as saving money! I love having those...

Kermit
I couldn't agree more that the old tools are often the best and for the best prices. I just thought that if there's someone out there anal enough to cut absolutely no corners on "quality"--the type who only build bronze fastened carvel and varnish it all--this might fill a need. We all know the type--engineers, systems analysts, lawyers. LOL I still prefer flea market/garage sale planes, and only bother to replace irons that are trashed.

Thanks for the info, Tom! A new way to spend money and rationalize it as saving money! I love having those...

Kermit

Ross Faneuf
11-06-2000, 06:45 PM
And don't forget auctions; I recently picked up Bailey patterns #4 and #5 in excellent shape for less than $30 total.

Ross Faneuf
And don't forget auctions; I recently picked up Bailey patterns #4 and #5 in excellent shape for less than $30 total.

Ross Faneuf