PDA

View Full Version : Starting New Project

emach1999
01-18-2016, 06:46 AM
I bought a wood boat over the summer. The previous owner custom built it, and he put a layer of fiberglass epoxy over the wood. There were lots of imperfections and bubbles, and I am in the process of sanding it all down and start re-finishing it. I have sanded it down to the bare wood (cedar). Is fiberglass epoxy my only option to create the protective shiny layer over the wood? Is there other alternatives that can be brushed on in several layers that will still make it water tight?

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm new. Thanks! I'm thrilled to be a part of this board

lupussonic
01-18-2016, 07:36 AM
What boat, what type construction, what type of wood, what date, what condition, where, who, and why aren't there any pictures?

emach1999
01-18-2016, 07:42 AM
What boat, what type construction, what type of wood, what date, what condition, where, who, and why aren't there2811 any pictures?

Here's more information. It was originally a '67 Grady White. Previous owner stripped it down to the hull, and used cedar wood to make it into a Chris Craft replica barrel-back. Very unique!

Peerie Maa
01-18-2016, 07:59 AM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/webkit-fake-url://c10b696e-2ee3-4243-8520-25f5de86fcf9/imagejpeg

I cannot see your images. Are you following the advice in the FAQ's?

POSTING PICTURES
Control yourself. Avoid posting BIG pictures. Keep them 500 pixels wide OR LESS. That way the dial-up folks aren't bogged-down, and the width doesn't make the page hard to read in a standard sized window. If you don't have Photoshop, try the freebie from gimp.org. We do NOT host your images. You need to have a place like Flickr, Imagestation, Photobucket, or one of the free other hosting outfits... or your own site. Per Thorne's 'How-to', here's how to post photos on this forum:

...FIRST - Don't attach photos. Only a tiny version will display.
...SECOND - Post the photos on the web. Use your own website or a free image hosting service like www.flickr.com, picasaweb.google.com, picturetrail, photobucket, etc. Images posted on Facebook must be set to "Public" access via the Edit option, not limited to "Friends".

...THIRD - Once posted on the web, right-click the photo to "Copy Image Location", or drag the photo to another browser window, then copy the image URL (web address) which will end in ".jpg". You can test by pasting the photo URL into the location field (http://* ) of a web browser and see if the photo displays. Remember that this process will not work for photos located just on your computer, on members-only Yahoo groups, or on Facebook unless set to "Public" view. (In Flickr - You usually have to first click the photo to bring up the black-framed viewer, then click the "View All Sizes" link near the top right. Then you can get the image URL by right-clicking the image. Alternately you can go to the Actions menu on the upper left, then select "View All Sizes".

...FOURTH - DO THIS EVERY TIME TO POST IMAGES IN THREADS: A. In any "Reply" window you can click the "insert image" icon --> a little yellow square icon with a dot at each corner, a tiny tree in the center. Depending on browser version and Reply/Edit status, this may bring up a simple window with a field to paste the URL into, or the "Add an Image" window described below.
B. If the window titled "Add an Image" comes up, click the "From URL" tab, paste the URL of the photo in the field, deselect the box for "Retrieve remote file and reference locally", then click the "INSERT IMAGE" button. The Forum software will resize some large images, so look at your post to see the actual displayed images.

Belated welcome to the forum.

emach1999
01-18-2016, 08:24 AM
I posted 2 pictures of my boat on my Class Blog I use for school (I'm a teacher).

machphysics.blogspot.com

Rich Jones
01-18-2016, 09:31 AM
Was it originally a wood or fiberglass boat? If it's covered with cedar, that would be too soft a wood for the pounding it will take at high speed. It needs an epoxy/fiberglass coating.

nedL
01-18-2016, 12:13 PM
"Epoxy" specifically is not resistant to UV degradation. Wood that is covered with epoxy as a clear coating also needs some additional coating to provide UV protection to the epoxy. A UV additive containing varnish, polyurethane, etc is typical.

As mentioned. A hardened liquid on its own (polyester resin, vinyl-ester resin, epoxy) typically doesn't have much strength on its own and really needs the addition of some sort of a textile (glass cloth) to add strength

Thorne
01-18-2016, 06:52 PM
Here's the full version. Posting photos will save all of us a lot of typing.

Here's how to post photos on this forum:

FIRST - Don't attach photos. Only a tiny version will display.

SECOND - Post the photos on the web. Use your own website or a free image hosting service like www.flickr.com (http://www.flickr.com/), picasaweb.google.com, picturetrail, photobucket, shutterfly, etc. Facebook is not recommended since the image URL is changed after a few months (breaking the link), and images must be set to "Public" access via the Edit option, not limited to "Friends".

THIRD - Once posted on the web, right-click the photo to "Copy Image Location", or drag the photo to another browser window, then copy the image URL (web address) which will end in ".jpg". You can test by pasting the photo URL into the location field (http://* ) of a web browser and see if the photo displays. Remember that this process will not work for photos located just on your computer, on members-only Yahoo groups, or on Facebook unless set to "Public" view.

In Flickr - First click the photo to bring up the options on the right, click the downward arrow icon on the far right ("Download this photo"), then in the list that appears click "View All Sizes". Select the size you want (if not the default size displayed) then get the image URL by right-clicking the image.

FOURTH - DO THIS EVERY TIME TO POST IMAGES IN THREADS:
A. In any "Reply" window you can click the "insert image" icon --> a little yellow square icon with a dot at each corner, a tiny tree in the center.

Depending on browser version and Reply/Edit status, this may bring up a simple window with a field to paste the URL into, or the "Add an Image" window described below.

B. If the window titled "Add an Image" comes up, click the "From URL" tab, paste the URL of the photo in the field, deselect the box for "Retrieve remote file and reference locally", then click the "INSERT IMAGE" button. The Forum software will resize some large images, so look at your post to see the actual displayed images.

NOTE - most common problems are due to missing the step described above -> deselect the box for "Retrieve remote file and reference locally"