PDA

View Full Version : Grandiloquence

David G
01-15-2016, 11:15 PM
Yeah... I like that word. Elegant, and yet polysyllabic enough for the pretentious among us. A good foundation upon which to build a structure of obfuscation, sophistry, and puffery. Apt. Might come in handy around here some day.

Jim Bow
01-16-2016, 01:00 AM
Add "bloviation" to the list.

Chip-skiff
01-16-2016, 02:18 AM
One of those double-edge swords:

Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people whom we personally dislike.

—Oscar Wilde

Gerarddm
01-16-2016, 02:44 AM
Slubberdegullion.

CWSmith
01-16-2016, 09:52 AM
Add "bloviation" to the list.

That word has been on my mind the past few days as I read some threads here.

"Alacrity" is my favorite word. They used it twice in Star Trek (Piccard to Data).

Old Dryfoot
01-16-2016, 11:19 AM
As dear old Dad would have said, "a true twelve dollar word."

A curious thing though, to self identify as such.

Sky Blue
01-16-2016, 11:25 AM
a curious thing...

It was conferred on me by another Forumite; I often will take some of the insults or name calls and hang them up there until the next good one comes along.

Old Dryfoot
01-16-2016, 11:48 AM
A Badge of Honor. Got it.

CK 17
01-16-2016, 11:49 AM
Grandiloquence. . .
Now can you use it in a sentence without getting banned:d

Sky Blue
01-16-2016, 12:02 PM
Got it.

No, you don't. It is a fun thing really, a way to laugh off rude crap, but also gives it back a little to those who name call or insult. :)

It was the same thing with "turgid," which was used to describe some of my content one day (aptly, in that case, it must be admitted) and so I ran with it as a fun gag, only to see a number of sanctimonious dullards come and complain about it (including the one who conferred "grandiloquent").

I will say that none of them started a separate thread on any of it, but as we know, it takes all kinds.

George Jung
01-16-2016, 12:06 PM
Funny the mantle some will adopt; might want to look those words up in the dictionary; they may not mean what you think they mean!

lupussonic
01-16-2016, 12:09 PM
I should have "abnoxious twit from the UK" as my tag line.

George Jung
01-16-2016, 12:13 PM
Abnoxious? That's a (nice) twist....

Sky Blue
01-16-2016, 12:17 PM
I should have "abnoxious twit from the UK" as my tag line.

No, that's hardly descriptive of you, lupussonic. Some others here, maybe...;):d

oznabrag
01-16-2016, 01:43 PM
Yeah... I like that word. Elegant, and yet polysyllabic enough for the pretentious among us. A good foundation upon which to build a structure of obfuscation, sophistry, and puffery. Apt. Might come in handy around here some day.

'Supercilious' comes to mind, as does 'pseudo-intellectual'.

slug
01-16-2016, 01:50 PM
Gee... A whole thread with a whole bilge full of liberals throwing personal attacks.

David G
01-16-2016, 02:06 PM
It was conferred on me by another Forumite; I often will take some of the insults or name calls and hang them up there until the next good one comes along.

Hmmm... that seems a bit... self-important? Self-referential? Something.

You say it was conferred on you? I'm not sure what you mean. The characteristic of grandiloquence can not be conferred upon one. You either have it, or you don't. Do you mean the word was conferred upon you? That makes no sense either. It's not a medal that you can possess. You cannot own a word. Do you mean that the word was used to describe you? The description was conferred upon you? That's possible. Both in a factual and logical/grammatical sense. I guess I missed it.

But don't try and claim the word as your own sole possession. That would be just a bit pretentious. Maybe even grandiloquent. It's a lovely word. You do not own it. I reserve the right to use it, here or elsewhere, should it ever become apt. And it seems it already has.

CWSmith
01-16-2016, 03:33 PM
Gee... A whole thread with a whole bilge full of liberals throwing personal attacks.

No attacks at all.

SB made reference to an attack elsewhere.

lupussonic threw a jab at himself.

David is doing his best impersonation of Donn.

It appears you do not understand.

David G
01-16-2016, 05:12 PM
No attacks at all.

SB made reference to an attack elsewhere.

lupussonic threw a jab at himself.

David is doing his best impersonation of Donn.

It appears you do not understand.

Eh??? Donn imitates me. But he's not capable of holding my Oxford Unabridged. He wishes he were. <G>

CWSmith
01-16-2016, 05:20 PM
Eh??? Donn imitates me. But he's not capable of holding my Oxford Unabridged. He wishes he were. <G>

Just funnin' with you, David. :)

David G
01-16-2016, 05:23 PM
Just funnin' with you, David. :)

:D:cool::D

Duncan Gibbs
01-16-2016, 05:28 PM
Donn strikes me as a 'Websters' sort of a dude.

David G
01-18-2016, 11:45 AM
Yes... it's a grand word.

And I do like some of the others mentioned: supercilious; self-important; bloviation; turgid; pseudo-intellectual; self-referential. And more! What a brilliant lot!!!

And it appears that one or more of them might have further application here.

oznabrag
01-18-2016, 12:06 PM
I don't suppose 'solipsistic' could qualify for the list?

Sky Blue
01-18-2016, 12:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&amp;v=-cDAqrywsHE

Durnik
01-18-2016, 12:57 PM
Grandiloquence. . .

Now can you use it in a sentence without getting banned:d

& based on his using it in a (along with others) now poofed post in a thread on Psueds.. Yes, he can!

A poofed post in Psueds.. Way to go David!

That's, dare I say it - Grandiloquence! ;-)

enjoy
bobby

David G
01-18-2016, 01:12 PM

I suppose it could. But I tend to be a bit leery of the word. Because there is what seems to me to be an often-germane distinction between the connotations (what I call 'self-absorbed' and 'self-referential') and the formal denotation of a conscious belief in a philosophical system. The latter is uncommon, but I suspect is what most folks think of when the word pops up. The former is, I'm afraid, all too common.

David G
01-18-2016, 01:14 PM
& based on his using it in a (along with others) now poofed post in a thread on Psueds.. Yes, he can!

A poofed post in Psueds.. Way to go David!

That's, dare I say it - Grandiloquence! ;-)

enjoy
bobby

"One does what one can" <he said ever so modestly> <G>

oznabrag
01-18-2016, 01:22 PM
I suppose it could. But I tend to be a bit leery of the word. Because there is what seems to me to be an often-germane distinction between the connotations (what I call 'self-absorbed' and 'self-referential') and the formal denotation of a conscious belief in a philosophical system. The latter is uncommon, but I suspect is what most folks think of when the word pops up. The former is, I'm afraid, all too common.

I see.

I think you may be confused by the fact that the great majority of solipsists are unaware of their own practice of that philosophy.

S.V. Airlie
01-18-2016, 01:29 PM
Gee... A whole thread with a whole bilge full of liberals throwing personal attacks.Hey sluggish, if these people you are referring to write idiotic, stupid, nonsensical, and uninformed, they own what they wrote!If some words used to describe them on a personal level, they may deserve it. At times, they may not but, those in question appear to be unable to post/repeat anything/everything but.

David G
01-18-2016, 01:32 PM
I see.

I think you may be confused by the fact that the great majority of solipsists are unaware of their own practice of that philosophy.

Good point. But I'm not confused by the fact. I so admit that I am, however, resistant to it. In my heart I want and tend to credit folks with more brains, integrity, and self-awareness than oftimes turns out to be the case <sigh>.

Sky Blue
01-18-2016, 01:34 PM
Is this thread about me?

David G
01-18-2016, 01:39 PM

Is this thread about me?

Well... ok. Of course it's about you. It's ALL about you. Assuming you want it to be. As you appear to. I'm happy to go along.

oznabrag
01-18-2016, 01:40 PM
Good point. But I'm not confused by the fact. I [do] admit that I am, however, resistant to it. In my heart I want and tend to credit folks with more brains, integrity, and self-awareness than oftimes turns out to be the case <sigh>.

So, is this thread about me?

TomF
01-18-2016, 01:42 PM
Good point. But I'm not confused by the fact. I so admit that I am, however, resistant to it. In my heart I want and tend to credit folks with more brains, integrity, and self-awareness than oftimes turns out to be the case <sigh>.The advantage of being Christian is that one can observe that God loves all of us equally, despite our obvious faults. ;)

Sky Blue
01-18-2016, 01:43 PM
If it is about me, then I guess I'm honored to have sufficient standing in the Bilge to finally qualify for my very own "love to hate" thread.

I love you guys too. :)

B_B
01-18-2016, 01:44 PM
He sold 'em, he didn't hold 'em.

David G
01-18-2016, 01:46 PM
So, is this thread about me?

Sure it is. I'm happy to go along. Apparently, though, you have to share.

oznabrag
01-18-2016, 01:46 PM
The advantage of being Christian is that one can observe that God loves all of us equally, despite our obvious faults. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dhWD_r5-LY

David G
01-18-2016, 01:50 PM
The advantage of being Christian is that one can observe that God loves all of us equally, despite our obvious faults. ;)

Yes, but I create a problem for myself. Not so much in person - where I'm better at an initial read. But on the interwebs, my default assumption of competence, etc. often starts me off on the wrong foot with folks. If algebra is needed, it does no good to begin discussing calculus, eh?

<don't ya just LOVE responses that start with 'yes, but'???>

TomF
01-18-2016, 01:59 PM
I'm still working on basic numeracy. ;)

David G
01-18-2016, 02:01 PM
I'm still working on basic numeracy. ;)

Me too, at times. Let us count the ways together.

David G
02-27-2016, 01:42 PM
I'm happy to report that - in some cases - the thin veneer of grandiloquence... the false flag of 'thinking moderate'... has been shed, and the true core of dirtbag wingnut has emerged from its chrysalis. I've noticed that it usually does play out that way in the end.

paulf
02-27-2016, 01:48 PM
Yes... it's a grand word.

And I do like some of the others mentioned: supercilious; self-important; bloviation; turgid; pseudo-intellectual; self-referential. And more! What a brilliant lot!!!

And it appears that one or more of them might have further application here.

Hell, I'm still trying to find out what a
Rat-Frequenter is.

David G
02-27-2016, 02:21 PM
Hell, I'm still trying to find out what a
Rat-Frequenter is.

Don't do it. A sweet, innocent, young thing like you does NOT need to go there. <G>

TomF
02-27-2016, 02:40 PM
Don't do it. A sweet, innocent, young thing like you does NOT need to go there. <G>at least, not frequently.

paulf
02-27-2016, 03:34 PM
Don't do it. A sweet, innocent, young thing like you does NOT need to go there. <G>

I'm about 2 months older than you, I guess we are both sweet and innocent!

David G
02-27-2016, 03:41 PM
I'm about 2 months older than you, I guess we are both sweet and innocent!

'Taint the age, it's the mileage. <G>

paulf
02-27-2016, 03:46 PM
'Taint the age, it's the mileage. <G>

It sure feels like mileage, maybe I'm mistaken

purri
02-27-2016, 06:31 PM
How insouciant!

ahp
02-27-2016, 10:42 PM
"Grandiloquence" is a fine word especially, when properly employed by the Aphrodite.

purri
02-28-2016, 12:49 AM
Perhaps, as "self referential" has a certain subtext...
Is this thread about me?

TomF
02-28-2016, 07:03 AM
Membership has its privileges.