PDA

View Full Version : "FERAL" - Bring back the Predators

Rigadog
01-15-2016, 09:16 AM
If you haven't read this book I highly recommend it. Is about reintroducing top predators and wilderness into modern life. Thought provoking and surprising.
Feral, Searching for enchantment on the frontiers of rewilding"
http://www.monbiot.com/2013/05/24/feral-searching-for-enchantment-on-the-frontiers-of-rewilding/

http://www.monbiot.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Feral-665x1024.jpg

Gerarddm
01-15-2016, 11:12 AM
Thought this was going to be about 1970s New York City. LOL.

BrianY
01-15-2016, 12:13 PM
Thanks. It looks very interesting. I will look that one up.

All sorts of critters including predators are figuring out how to live among humans. We've got foxes and coyotes and bears in suburban Boston and there was a story in yesterday's Boston Globe about a turkey that resides in Harvard Square. I've seen Bald Eagles less than 7 miles from downtown Worcester MA and last year I watched a red tail hawk eat a pigeon on top of a light pole across the street from my office in Boston. Nature is all around us.

CWSmith
01-15-2016, 01:09 PM
I heard a very interesting talk a few months back about the effect of removing top predators through hunting. In this case, it was the larger game fish in lakes of the Northeast. The effect is surprisingly bad and because it leads to a growth of small fish, which eat the small food sources that consume algae, it actually leads to algae blooms.

Durnik
01-15-2016, 02:30 PM
From the same fella & appropriate to CWSmiths comment, I think I originally saw this story (http://http://www.theguardian.com/science/grrlscientist/2014/mar/03/how-wolves-change-rivers) on Chip's kin here - but it's good enough to repeat.

Thanks for the recommendation, Rigadog - been looking for something new & pertinent to read.

Believe it or not, Brian, black bears are just now coming back to this part of central TN (been east in the Jamestown area for years) - I'm seeing scat in the woods & a neighbor reported seeing one cross the road last year. Don't know if they'll last, local hunters are infamous for killing anything that presents because "it looks good on my wall". That's a quote from a local fellow whose truck broke down & I stopped to help, concerning his (proudly) shooting a not that common bobcat.. Bastids. I did give him a lecture.

enjoy
bobby

lupussonic
01-15-2016, 03:09 PM
I know George, he's a good guy.
I think it would be fantastic to have indigenous predators back in the UK. I lived in Europe for a decade, and photographed European lynxes there. It's a great balancer to know you are not top of the pile in nature. The deer population has been way too high for way too long.

PeterSibley
01-15-2016, 06:14 PM
I think we'd need to lose 90% of the human population to make room for them .

CWSmith
01-15-2016, 06:18 PM
Lions have quietly returned to the northeast (quiet in that they are seldom seen and not talked about).

OK, it's embarrassing, but I talk when I take out the trash at night this time of the year. I live on the edge of some big woods with bear and fisher, so I'm not ruling anything out.

Durnik
01-15-2016, 09:23 PM
Lions have quietly returned to the northeast (quiet in that they are seldom seen and not talked about).

OK, it's embarrassing, but I talk when I take out the trash at night this time of the year. I live on the edge of some big woods with bear and fisher, so I'm not ruling anything out.

Lot to be said for prudence.. when in country where I wish to not startle anything, I'll give periodic low whistles - maybe 2..3 notes.

& yeah, Peter - that 'go forth & multiply' has gotten a bit out of hand.

enjoy
bobby

Breakaway
01-15-2016, 09:52 PM
Its a nice thought. I'd like to see it. But we live in a world where most people see a field mouse and call the exterminator. Heck around here we have the "deer schism." Those who love seeing the ( over) abundance of deer and those who want " somebody to do something" about them. How do we think the average suburbanite react when Wile E Coyote or Yogi Bear shows up on a regular basis in, "Buena Pointe Woods?"

I think at first there would be glee and wonder. Lots of iPhones sharing pictures to social media. But after they realize that they cant just let the cat out, and the kids need to be watched playing in the yard, and the trash needs to be secured in a building, well, I think the charm just might wear off.

Kevin

skuthorp
01-16-2016, 05:47 AM
That's why I like Alligators and crocodiles, they occasionally remind man that he's still part of the food chain.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3350360/He-hid-wrong-place-Florida-man-killed-eaten-ALLIGATOR-hiding-police-caught-robbing-homes.html

Mike H
01-16-2016, 09:34 AM
I read the book last year. Was particularly interested in the transformation of Yellowstone by the reintroduction of wolves. One thing the wolves did was kill the coyotes they found. A few months later I was watching Nature on PBS and they said that the coyotes in the east were coyote/wolf hybrids, It got me wondering about the make love not war differences between the two populations.