PDA

View Full Version : ships wheel

videoguy
12-02-2000, 11:33 PM
Hi guys I need some help . Going to start building a redwing 26 next year .In the meantime I need to do something salty in my shop. so I thought I would build the steering wheel but I cant find a brass hub . New or used would be ok any body have any ideas where I can find one thanks phil

videoguy
Hi guys I need some help . Going to start building a redwing 26 next year .In the meantime I need to do something salty in my shop. so I thought I would build the steering wheel but I cant find a brass hub . New or used would be ok any body have any ideas where I can find one thanks phil

videoguy

Ed Harrow
12-02-2000, 11:48 PM
Yes, actually I do, but naturally I can't think of it at the moment. They're a foundry located up in eastern Canada. It will come to me, or somebody. I don't know if Edson would be a possible source.

Ed Harrow
Yes, actually I do, but naturally I can't think of it at the moment. They're a foundry located up in eastern Canada. It will come to me, or somebody. I don't know if Edson would be a possible source.

Ed Harrow

Ron Williamson
12-03-2000, 08:14 AM
Ed, do you mean Lunenburg Foundry?Try www.lunenburgfoundry.com (http://www.lunenburgfoundry.com)

[This message has been edited by Ron Williamson (edited 12-03-2000).]

Ron Williamson
Ed, do you mean Lunenburg Foundry?Try www.lunenburgfoundry.com (http://www.lunenburgfoundry.com)

Ron Williamson

Ian McColgin
12-03-2000, 10:51 AM
Edson (over in New Bedford) has just what you want and lots of attendent gear if you wanna go nuts and spend beaucoupbucks. I bet you thought rack & pinion was just for that little Sadomasachisti made by Freud Motor.

Get a diaphram pump while you're at it.

G'luck

Ian McColgin
Edson (over in New Bedford) has just what you want and lots of attendent gear if you wanna go nuts and spend beaucoupbucks. I bet you thought rack & pinion was just for that little Sadomasachisti made by Freud Motor.

G'luck

Ian McColgin

G'luck

Ed Harrow
12-04-2000, 10:16 PM
Yes, Ron, Lunenburg it is (if the truth were to be told I couldn't remember how to spell it and was too lazy to go look it up http://media4.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif)

Ed Harrow
Yes, Ron, Lunenburg it is (if the truth were to be told I couldn't remember how to spell it and was too lazy to go look it up http://media4.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif)

Ed Harrow

nedL
12-05-2000, 01:09 PM
I looked at the Lunenburg prices and kind of thought for a moment. I have had a nice old mahogany wheel for years. I once thought of building my own wheel also, so, in high school I took off the brass hub off and cast an aluminum one from it. I now have this aluminum hub that would make a nice pattern if someone would like to borrow it (on temporary loan) to have a brass casting made. You would have to find a local foundry. Sound interesting?? - Ned

nedL
I looked at the Lunenburg prices and kind of thought for a moment. I have had a nice old mahogany wheel for years. I once thought of building my own wheel also, so, in high school I took off the brass hub off and cast an aluminum one from it. I now have this aluminum hub that would make a nice pattern if someone would like to borrow it (on temporary loan) to have a brass casting made. You would have to find a local foundry. Sound interesting?? - Ned

nedL

Mark Van
12-05-2000, 07:00 PM
Why bother making a wheel?
I just got a nice cast bronze steering wheel from an ebay auction for $45.(I think I lucked out)
The handles are made out of something that looks like either old plastic (bakelite or something) or possibly ivory or bone. Does anybody know if they commonly used ivory for wheel handles? I've never heard of using anything other than wood.
Mark

Mark Van
I just got a nice cast bronze steering wheel from an ebay auction for $45.(I think I lucked out)
The handles are made out of something that looks like either old plastic (bakelite or something) or possibly ivory or bone. Does anybody know if they commonly used ivory for wheel handles? I've never heard of using anything other than wood.
Mark

Mark Van
Mark

videoguy
12-16-2000, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I checked out the lunnengrug foundery WoW I didn't know you could get gold hubs I only wanted a plane old brass one.at least I have plenty of time before I need it.

videoguy
Thanks for the ideas. I checked out the lunnengrug foundery WoW I didn't know you could get gold hubs I only wanted a plane old brass one.at least I have plenty of time before I need it.

videoguy

paladin
01-22-2001, 08:46 PM
Mark,
There used to be a place in South San Francisco near the old (present) airport named Boicelli and Mercury (Mr. Mercurio) That sold such wheels for the push/pull (Morse and Teleflex are the current names, I do not believe that to be the original brand name)cable steering systems that used a plastic material for the handle grips....possibly is that what you have?

paladin
Mark,
There used to be a place in South San Francisco near the old (present) airport named Boicelli and Mercury (Mr. Mercurio) That sold such wheels for the push/pull (Morse and Teleflex are the current names, I do not believe that to be the original brand name)cable steering systems that used a plastic material for the handle grips....possibly is that what you have?

paladin
Mark,

paladin
01-22-2001, 08:49 PM
Incidentally.....Lunenberg Foundry does absolutely fantastic work. Make a wooden pattern and what you send is what you get, or a really good set of drawings.

paladin
Incidentally.....Lunenberg Foundry does absolutely fantastic work. Make a wooden pattern and what you send is what you get, or a really good set of drawings.

paladin

Jon Agne
01-22-2001, 09:02 PM
Lunenburg does a really nice job. Do not forget the prices you are looking at are probably Canadian $$$. When my rudder gudgeon was discovered with extreme de-zincification (fire-brick syndrome), they cast me up a new one for about $52.00US....no hassle, to spec., on schedule.

If you want a REAL piece of nautical equipment, I can recommend no better place to get one. Call them directly....you will be able to talk to the individual who will do the casting, and/or the pattern-maker if you desire.

Since you have an aluminum pattern, I see no reason why you cannot find a local foundry who will cast the bronze for you. Get a quote, compare the prices.

Jon Agne
Lunenburg does a really nice job. Do not forget the prices you are looking at are probably Canadian $$$. When my rudder gudgeon was discovered with extreme de-zincification (fire-brick syndrome), they cast me up a new one for about $52.00US....no hassle, to spec., on schedule.

If you want a REAL piece of nautical equipment, I can recommend no better place to get one. Call them directly....you will be able to talk to the individual who will do the casting, and/or the pattern-maker if you desire.

Since you have an aluminum pattern, I see no reason why you cannot find a local foundry who will cast the bronze for you. Get a quote, compare the prices.

Jon Agne

Mark Van
01-23-2001, 07:55 PM
Paladinsfo,
I don't think the wheel was for a Push-pull steering system. It came on a shaft with a bycicle-chain type sprocket.
Mark

Mark Van
Paladinsfo,
I don't think the wheel was for a Push-pull steering system. It came on a shaft with a bycicle-chain type sprocket.
Mark

Mark Van
Paladinsfo,
Mark