PDA

View Full Version : Hit a deer!

S.V. Airlie
01-14-2016, 10:21 PM
Surprised it doesn't happen more often in upstate NY. Went for dinner at my sisters. Snowy. Wasn't going that fast because of the roads, Hit a deer which tried, hesitated, then ran out in front of me. Called the cops who came and put it out of its misery, broke 2-3 legs. No damage at all, I love my subaru. I hate hitting anything!

Steve McMahon
01-14-2016, 10:32 PM
Yikes, glad you are OK. Sorry about the deer. Did they let you keep the deer? :d In all seriousness, those Subaru's are a very safe car. I've responded to a couple of serious collisions involving them and in both cases the passengers walked away without a scratch.

Rich Jones
01-14-2016, 10:40 PM
We've bagged two deer. I got one in Vermont, my wife got the other in the middle of suburban Long Island, N.Y.
Both times about $1,000 worth of damage to the cars.

S.V. Airlie
01-14-2016, 10:56 PM
Yikes, glad you are OK. Sorry about the deer. Did they let you keep the deer? :d In all seriousness, those Subaru's are a very safe car. I've responded to a couple of serious collisions involving them and in both cases the passengers walked away without a scratch.The state trooper shot it. The only time I would have liked to have a gun. I did not stay to get it at 2100 hrs. Lousy weather anyway. I do hear you can keep it. The trooper was quite nice. Asked me if I was the registered owner which I replied to the affirmative. Offered him my lic. he said not nec. Did take my phone # though. No accident report; by flashlight no visible damage at all so wasn't needed. Will check tomorrow morning but everything appeared to be normal, no noises, wobbling etc, lights work, no cracks nothing..

Jim Bow
01-14-2016, 11:16 PM
Phew!!!

The Bigfella
01-15-2016, 12:08 AM
Glad you are OK. Pity about the deer. We have our own silly creatures in Oz. Mostly kangaroos, but I also hit a sheep once in the middle of nowhere (on the Nullabor Plain... a massive treeless plain... damn sheep jumped out from behind a bush - I had to shoot it).

Figment
01-15-2016, 08:42 AM
Coworker hit a deer one foggy morning about a month ago. Car is still in the shop. Almost no visible damage, just a bunch of fur down the side, but the impact was enough to mess with a bunch of sensors (the car has the collision-avoidance system that applies brakes when it senses stopped-traffic ahead) and the dealer is still sorting it out.

Local cop finished the deer off with two from a shotgun.
Why the shotgun instead of the pistol? I suspect the answer is paperwork.

CWSmith
01-15-2016, 08:44 AM
Glad you're ok S.V. I hate hitting anything.

Tom Montgomery
01-15-2016, 08:57 AM
First of all, thank goodness you were unharmed! No damage to your vehicle is a bonus.

Second, while I am a strong advocate of federal handgun and semi/full automatic long gun control, I am also a strong supporter of hunting. The whitetail deer population is out of control and poses a real and ongoing road safety hazard. The solution can only be states legislating higher bag limits and a longer hunting season. And also allowing the responsible culling of the deer herd in public park lands.

This is an NBC report from 2005:

Nationally, the white-tailed deer population has increased from about 500,000 in the early 1900s to 25 million to 30 million today, according to various researchers.

In pre-European settlement times, deer population density was 10 to 15 deer per square mile. In the 19th century, numbers dwindled as land was cleared for agriculture and commercial hunting became widespread.

In the early 20th century, states limited hunting, preserved open space and imported the animals. Much of the land cleared for agriculture has since been converted back to wild land as farmers abandoned the business.

Now, in places like southern New York and northern Pennsylvania, there are 30 to 35 deer per square mile, Curtis said.

“In some ways we’ve been too successful at bringing the deer back,” Curtis said.

While they still have some predators in the Northeast, mostly coyotes or bobcats, their main animal predators, wolves, are gone.

Man is now a deer’s most feared predator, but the number of hunters is declining, especially among teenagers who today have more options to fill their time.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/6835501/ns/us_news-environment/t/deer-eating-away-forests-nationwide/#.Vpj37fEmRKo

Rich Jones
01-15-2016, 09:08 AM
First of all, thank goodness you were unharmed! No damage to your vehicle is a bonus.

Second, while I am a strong advocate of federal handgun and semi/full automatic long gun control, I am also a strong supporter of hunting. The whitetail deer population is out of control and poses a real and ongoing road safety hazard. The solution can only be legislating higher bag limits and a longer hunting season. And also allowing the responsible culling of the deer herd in public park lands.

This is an NBC report from 2005: While living on Long Island, N.Y. , the deer population was out of control. No natural enemies, very little hunting (you can't shot a gun on Long Island without hitting a house anymore) and a moderate climate. Up here in Vermont, the hunting season and brutal winters keep the deer herd at a good level.

Rigadog
01-15-2016, 09:09 AM
Here in Pittsburgh, Mt Lebanon an affluent community on our outskirts has hired archers to shoot deer to supposedly cut down on deer on car violence. But a lot of the motivation for the move comes from homeowners who object to their shrubberies being browsed. Damn deer; why can't they order pizza like everybody else?

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/south/2015/07/14/Mt-Lebanon-approves-archery-deer-hunt/stories/201507140245

Tom Montgomery
01-15-2016, 09:19 AM
The Cleveland Metroparks and the Cuyahoga Valley National Park also employ annual deer culling.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/01/cleveland_metroparks_resuming.html

(http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/01/cleveland_metroparks_resuming.html)
... a lot of the motivation for the move comes from homeowners who object to their shrubberies being browsed. Damn deer; why can't they order pizza like everybody else?Another problem is the inevitable starvation when the deer become overpopulated in large urban parks. Professional culling of the herd is both humane and a source of protein for the indigent.

S.V. Airlie
01-15-2016, 09:19 AM
Hunting is alive and well here. I haven't seen a drop in the numbers. They actually hunt deer with rifles not pistols and AK 47s. We also have a good population of coyotes which helps but obviously, deer are hit here. And there are plenty. I'm usually careful at night and don't go that fast on the secondary roads at night even on clear nights when people go like bats outta Heck. Last night, no difference but, it was snowing, deer usually "bunk" down in these conditions. Have to check the damage in the daylight. Gonna be raining and the mid 40's today.

Paul Pless
01-15-2016, 09:22 AM
Called the cops who came and put it out of its misery, broke 2-3 legs. typical liberal relegating the responsibility of dispatching the animal you injured to the government. . .

Paul Pless
01-15-2016, 09:23 AM
did that last post need a smiley???

Tom Montgomery
01-15-2016, 09:26 AM
Think about this: the current whitetail deer population nationwide is three times LARGER than before Europeans arrived in North America.

They have adapted superbly to our suburban environment. They sleep in the woodlots and come out into the open spaces at night to graze. Golf courses provide the PRIMO environment for deer!

Figment
01-15-2016, 09:30 AM
Those natives could HUNT!

(and without the nra)

S.V. Airlie
01-15-2016, 09:31 AM
typical liberal relegating the responsibility of dispatching the animal you injured to the government. . .Yup, I guess you'd put it out of it's misery by choking it. Oh right you have a gun!

As my car was undamaged, not even with a little dent and only suffered from a few hairs in the seams, I could have driven off and left it there, trying to get up. Sorry, I don't do th9ings like that, I called the police and stayed there. As I said, it was snowing and the deer had crawled about fifty feet in the brush. The cop wouldn't have found it and it would having dies just suffering for hours.

Paul Pless
01-15-2016, 09:32 AM
Think about this: the current whitetail deer population nationwide is three times LARGER than before Europeans arrived in North America.

They have adapted superbly to our suburban environment. They sleep in the woodlots and come out into the open spaces at night to graze. Golf courses provide the PRIMO environment for deer!corn and soybean fields

the overpopulation is a product of increasingly productive agriculture, decline in subsistence hunting, management of deer herds for trophies, and eradication of natural predators. . .

Tom Montgomery
01-15-2016, 09:34 AM
Once I read somewhere that the introduction of firearms to North America by Europeans presented an almost immediate hardship to the native Americans because the deer soon learned to keep a greater safe distance from humans. The bow and arrow became a less effective means of bringing home meat.

I am not sure if this was, in fact, true. Does it make sense? Yes? No?

Tom Montgomery
01-15-2016, 09:35 AM
They also love acorns. Oak trees attract squirrels and deer.

Tom Montgomery
01-15-2016, 09:41 AM
About a month ago, at 5:00 am while sitting at a red light at a major intersection in the neighborhood (13 lanes total) and right next to I-64, I watched as a 10-12 point buck sauntered across the middle of the intersection from the Beargrass Creek trail on the left into Cherokee Park and the golf course on the right.

This is all in the City of Louisville.

S.V. Airlie
01-15-2016, 09:44 AM
Those natives could HUNT!

(and without the nra)There wasn't a NBAA there until mid 1700's=-. (Nat. Bow and Arrow Assoc.)

S.V. Airlie
01-15-2016, 09:46 AM
Most of the deer are small here. The hunters want the big bucks with X# of points. Leave the small ones alone. The does look like bambi size without spots.

Upshur
01-15-2016, 09:48 AM
one every year here. its not if, only when. surprised AAA hasn’t penalized me. i refuse to drive my mustang after the beginning of rutting season.When I first moved out here I was told by a State Trooper who pulled me over that I needed to slow down because of the deer..I was like" Oh ya right”. now I actually drive paranoid because of them. Good to hear you are intact. Deer, why I don’t ride a motorcycle.
Don’t quote me on this, but ,Subarus are awesome cars...my sons and I have always enjoyed seeing the display at the Detroit Auto Show. Did you know they are one of the top selling cars in Alaska!

S.V. Airlie
01-15-2016, 09:50 AM
Once I read somewhere that the introduction of firearms to North America by Europeans presented an almost immediate hardship to the native Americans because the deer soon learned to keep a greater safe distance from humans. The bow and arrow became a less effective means of bringing home meat.

. No?Possible! It's like the CT river, Even on the first day of duck season, the river between the RR bridge and I95 has enough ducks to walk across the river on. They stay away from the marshlands and the hunters. It's illegal to shoot them between the bridges and they seem to know it.

Tom Montgomery
01-15-2016, 09:59 AM
Good to hear you are intact. Deer, why I don’t ride a motorcycle.
A close encounter at speed with a deer is the reason I permanently parked my motorcycle and eventually sold it never to be replaced.

That was about 40 years ago. I still shudder when I recall that incident. I still cannot believe I stopped that bike as quickly as I did without dumping it or flying over the handlebars. I swear that the deer deliberately ran at my front wheel.

Peerie Maa
01-15-2016, 10:02 AM
A close encounter at speed with a deer is the reason I permanently parked my motorcycle and eventually sold it never to be replaced.

That was about 40 years ago. I still shudder when I recall that incident. I still cannot believe I stopped that bike as quickly as I did without dumping it or flying over the handlebars. I swear that the deer deliberately ran at my front wheel.

I did hear of someone who "T"boned a stray cow on a country lane. Deceleration was pretty well instantaneous.

Upshur
01-15-2016, 10:14 AM

Deliberatley. Totally know what you mean. Just the other night I had one try to catch my passenger side door,or so it seemed..I stomped on the gas to get away from it,freaked me out , 1/4 mile from the house ..after driving 80 miles.
Sadly, I have seen way too many Bike/deer incidents out here. This is bikers heaven( no play on words} on the nice weekends...its Hog City.

S.V. Airlie
01-15-2016, 10:42 AM
A few years ago, during the rut, a lady was heading to work one early AM, lot of fog, beautiful fall day. A buck came alongside her car and bounced off the side and one of it's antlers tore off the side mirror and disappeared with the mirror dangling off of it. She decided that although she could drive it, she took the car home to have her husband deal with it as she had to get to work. Okay, so far so good! She takes her husband's truck, brand new with under 600 miles on it. Same stretch of road, here comes the buck still with the mirror lodged on it's antler. I guess practice makes perfect, he finally totaled the new truck completely. Lots of plastic!:) The deer disappeared to fight another day.:) The lady kept going to work with the side caved in and excesive damage down the entire side but, drivable. Said she just couldn't go home again and explain this accident to her husband.:)

TomF
01-15-2016, 10:52 AM
A close encounter at speed with a deer is the reason I permanently parked my motorcycle and eventually sold it never to be replaced.Most winters here, there's at least one snowmobile rider who has an unfortunate collision with a moose which was nonchalantly crossing a snowmobile trail.

An enthusiast friend in Bathurst talked about this - moose are just tall enough that the machine goes through their legs, but the rider's head finds their ribs. The moose is typically fine, the rider typically dead.

ccmanuals
01-15-2016, 11:10 AM
When living in Maryland I had a deer run into the side of my bright red jeep cherokee and I was only going 25 mph. I could have reached out the window and petted the thing on the head when he hit me.

ron ll
01-15-2016, 11:15 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/91/09/31/91093157cc82518d24aa676d3ddd794a.jpg

hokiefan
01-15-2016, 11:29 AM

Wouldn't surprise me at all. The deer around here definitely change behavior based on hunting season. Before the season it isn't safe to drive through the conservation area at dusk, you will definitely see deer on the road. After the season starts they are deep in the woods. The only exception is during rut, when the bucks are sex crazed. The deer on our plant site never change behavior, they know they are in a safe place. In fact our herd will grow during the season when the deer from the neighboring plant come over, they have an archery hunt club for employees I've been told.

The bow hunters I know spend a lot of preparation time making sure they and their clothing and equipment is scented appropriately to fool the deer. They can't smell like a human or the deer will easily detect them unless the breeze is strong. And they say if the wind is strong the deer tend to bed down because they lose both their hearing and sense of smell. Its all about self preservation.

Cheers,

Bobby

JimD
01-15-2016, 11:46 AM
Glad you're OK, Jamie.

S.V. Airlie
01-15-2016, 01:07 PM
C'dog didn't even flicnh and unusually, she was in the passenger seat. Usually she's in the back lieng down. As I said, much to kaMac's post of doom and gloom, no damage except to the deer.

Stiletto
01-15-2016, 03:48 PM

Who conducted the census before the Europeans arrived?

Dave Hadfield
01-15-2016, 05:56 PM
Been there. Done that. Ate the deer.

Dave

Roger Cumming
01-16-2016, 12:18 AM
My brother, who is a jazz musician and frequently on the road late at night returning home from gigs, has collided with many deer and wrecked several cars, all Volvos. He is known to his colleagues as "the deerslayer".

goodbasil
01-16-2016, 04:26 AM
Hit one once. Two came up from the right side ditch, crossed in front, ( I'd stopped, ) went down into left ditch and out of sight. I started off, clutched to shift into 2nd and it popped up right in front. Hit brakes lost sight of it as it was under front bumper then saw it go down on the right.

BrIL, bought a new Honda about 35-40 years ago. 4th day hit a deer, came right through the windshield, sharp hoof cut his neck open and actually shaved his jugular. He lived.

According to the deer counters. ( that's like a bean counter with an outside job,) there are more deer now than during the Lewis & Clarke exploration.

LOKI
01-16-2016, 07:54 PM
Glad to here you're okay Jamie. Had a few close calls, not fun. Loki...

Bob Adams
01-16-2016, 08:06 PM
Glad you are OK Jamie. They need to move those deer crossings!:rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Wc_YVmV1c

Mark O.
01-16-2016, 08:33 PM
I drive a lot at night between St. Augustine and Jacksonville on I-95. I see deer on every trip...2,3 maybe 8 or 10 sometimes. They come out of the woods to eat the grass along the interstate. I guess they are used to traffic because they never run, and I've never seen a dead one in the road along that stretch.

Michael D. Storey
01-17-2016, 11:18 AM
I do not hunt deer. I have a house along a river and along a state park. When the Boy was little we would go out in the night in the summer with a flash light to look for them. We have a vantage point in a tree to watch for them. I say this to show that I have had more experience than watching them as I drive by.
I watched a hunter shoot at a deer and miss. She stood very still. Apparently the animal is set to respond to motion. After the animal went back to grazing, the hunter brought another round into the chamber and bagged the deer, all without either deer or hunter moving.
It is my understanding that a doe will run across the path of an intruder to detract the intruder from a fawn. Which is why, in my opin, that so many end up in the grille of cars.
They are timid and stupid.
Do deer whistles on your bumper work? I don't know. I mean, if you don't hit one, is it you, or the deer or the whistle?
About ten years ago a neighbor who considered herself the mayor of the dead-end street stopped by and asked for a signature on a petition to get the county to move the 'deer crossing' sign to a safer place for them to cross. Really happened.

S.V. Airlie
01-17-2016, 11:23 AM
The Choptank is a nice river, plenty of farmland for deer. I'm not sure about the fawn/deer actions. Might be true as it makes some kinda sense. Re: Killdeer and young. But, this happened last week. I don't expect to see many fawns until Ar./May. And this was a doe!

Ian McColgin
01-17-2016, 11:24 AM
There's a great radio show with a call-in from a woman who, having hit a number of deer, wanted the deer crossing moved to the school crossing zone.

At any rate Jamie, glad you survived with minimal damage and no injury. It's very sad when an animal suffers as a consequence of human intrusion even when it's not the individual human at any fault and even though in nature, red in tooth an claw as she is, all beings suffer.

Upshur
01-17-2016, 11:28 AM
My brother, who is a jazz musician and frequently on the road late at night returning home from gigs, has collided with many deer and wrecked several cars, all Volvos. He is known to his colleagues as "the deerslayer". I love my Volvo..

S.V. Airlie
01-17-2016, 12:06 PM
There's a great radio show with a call-in from a woman who, having hit a number of deer, wanted the deer crossing moved to the school crossing zone.

At any rate Jamie, glad you survived with minimal damage and no injury. It's very sad when an animal suffers as a consequence of human intrusion even when it's not the individual human at any fault and even though in nature, red in tooth an claw as she is, all beings suffer.I figure I hit her when she slipped on the pavement (wet) and I hit her when she was litterally down. Hence, it the front really low! There was no damage to me but, as I have written, she appeared to have broken her leg(s) and could only crawl. I stayed to wait for the cops as 1) don't carry a gun and 2) she crawled into an overgrown field out of sight. It took the cop a bit of time finding her to put her out of her misery. Wouldn't have if I had continued heading home. He had the gun!

goodbasil
01-17-2016, 01:23 PM
In all of N. America, the area with the most auto/deer encounters is Pennsylvania.