PDA

View Full Version : System Three mixing pump

Ross Faneuf
03-15-2001, 12:44 PM
I have a couple of the old S3 2:1 mixing pumps, which are on their last legs. System Three doesn't sell these pumps anymore. They recommend using a sensitive scale (like a lab scale) and mixing by weight. I'm not enthused. Clearly this is workable, but I have habits and a setup based on pumps, and am not set up to dispense, in particular, small quantities by weight.

I'll go that route if I have to. What do you more recent adopters of S3 do? Is there another source of 2:1 pumps I could use? Do you do weighing and like it? Or what else?

Ross Faneuf
I have a couple of the old S3 2:1 mixing pumps, which are on their last legs. System Three doesn't sell these pumps anymore. They recommend using a sensitive scale (like a lab scale) and mixing by weight. I'm not enthused. Clearly this is workable, but I have habits and a setup based on pumps, and am not set up to dispense, in particular, small quantities by weight.

I'll go that route if I have to. What do you more recent adopters of S3 do? Is there another source of 2:1 pumps I could use? Do you do weighing and like it? Or what else?

Ross Faneuf

HP3
03-15-2001, 12:52 PM
Ross,
The S3 cat. I recived in Jan. lists "mustard pumps" I belive they still sell these. call and verify. Hank

HP3
Ross,
The S3 cat. I recived in Jan. lists "mustard pumps" I belive they still sell these. call and verify. Hank

HP3
Ross,

Iceboy
03-15-2001, 03:40 PM
I use large veterinary syringes. They can be purchased at farm stores and co-ops. They are fairly cheap and can be tossed when done.

Iceboy
I use large veterinary syringes. They can be purchased at farm stores and co-ops. They are fairly cheap and can be tossed when done.

Iceboy

JoJo
03-15-2001, 10:35 PM
Ross
Another Epoxy system, the MAS system I believe also uses a 2:1 mixing ratio. I have never used the MAS system (only the West system) but I know it is availiable from Chesapeake Light Craft. They have calibrated pumps that can be ordered off of their web site. Check them out at http://www.clcboats.com. If the MAS system used a 2:1 mixing ratio you should be able to make their pumps work

[This message has been edited by JoJo (edited 03-15-2001).]

JoJo
Ross
Another Epoxy system, the MAS system I believe also uses a 2:1 mixing ratio. I have never used the MAS system (only the West system) but I know it is availiable from Chesapeake Light Craft. They have calibrated pumps that can be ordered off of their web site. Check them out at http://www.clcboats.com. If the MAS system used a 2:1 mixing ratio you should be able to make their pumps work

JoJo
Ross

cs
03-16-2001, 06:44 AM
Ross,
I prefer to mix mine by volume. I used the mixing cups that S3 sent me till I ran out than I went to Lowes and found some clear plastic graduated mixing cups and these work great. BTW I still have the pumps that came with my S3 kit back in the summer. E-mail me and maybe I can help you out.

Chad Smith

cs
Ross,
I prefer to mix mine by volume. I used the mixing cups that S3 sent me till I ran out than I went to Lowes and found some clear plastic graduated mixing cups and these work great. BTW I still have the pumps that came with my S3 kit back in the summer. E-mail me and maybe I can help you out.

Chad Smith

cs
Ross,

Chad Smith

Ross Faneuf
03-16-2001, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the pointer to MAS epoxies. Turns out their site offers a wide variety of mixing pumps, so I'm sure I'll find something there that works.

www.masepoxies.com (http://www.masepoxies.com)

Also, it looks like this outfit is the source of the MAS pumps. This one is the jackpot, folks.

www.michaelengineering.com (http://www.michaelengineering.com)

[This message has been edited by Ross Faneuf (edited 03-16-2001).]

Ross Faneuf
Thanks for the pointer to MAS epoxies. Turns out their site offers a wide variety of mixing pumps, so I'm sure I'll find something there that works.

Also, it looks like this outfit is the source of the MAS pumps. This one is the jackpot, folks.

Ross Faneuf

NormMessinger
03-16-2001, 12:22 PM
Yes, I've done it again. When I started building the Long EZ a $300 dollar epoxy pump seemed like a lot of money. At the end $300 turned out be be a tiny fraction of the total cost. Should have got a pump.

He never learns.... Now at the almost-end of the Prairie Islander job, same deal.

--Norm

NormMessinger
Yes, I've done it again. When I started building the Long EZ a $300 dollar epoxy pump seemed like a lot of money. At the end $300 turned out be be a tiny fraction of the total cost. Should have got a pump.

He never learns.... Now at the almost-end of the Prairie Islander job, same deal.

--Norm

NormMessinger

--Norm

JimConlin
03-20-2001, 01:03 AM
And who sells the (geared?) $300 pumps?
Jim

JimConlin
Jim

JimConlin
Jim

Ross Faneuf
03-20-2001, 09:43 AM
Maybe the geared pumps cost $300 when Reagan was president. Now they're much more - see the michaelengineering web site. I figure we amateurs don't need a geared pump, since we'll probably never push enough epoxy through to justify it. And I have two pumps, one for each of the S3 Fast/Medium hardeners, so I'm not about to run the costs up that much. Even the larger of the piston pumps is pushing $600.

Ross Faneuf
Maybe the geared pumps cost $300 when Reagan was president. Now they're much more - see the michaelengineering web site. I figure we amateurs don't need a geared pump, since we'll probably never push enough epoxy through to justify it. And I have two pumps, one for each of the S3 Fast/Medium hardeners, so I'm not about to run the costs up that much. Even the larger of the piston pumps is pushing $600.

Ross Faneuf

John Weigandt
03-22-2001, 11:08 AM
I would try your local bulk foods/ restaurant supply, and buy Mustard pumps from them that fit a standard gallon jug.

If you don't want to do the 2 pumps to 1 routine, you can examine your current pump to figure out how to make the insert that cripples the stroke of the hardener pump to give 1 stroke each. I would measure carefully to make sure it is delivering accurately, but you and I know darn well system 3 didn't have these things custom made. I also get some industrial supply and materials handling catalogs that I can check if you like

John

John Weigandt
I would try your local bulk foods/ restaurant supply, and buy Mustard pumps from them that fit a standard gallon jug.

If you don't want to do the 2 pumps to 1 routine, you can examine your current pump to figure out how to make the insert that cripples the stroke of the hardener pump to give 1 stroke each. I would measure carefully to make sure it is delivering accurately, but you and I know darn well system 3 didn't have these things custom made. I also get some industrial supply and materials handling catalogs that I can check if you like

John

John Weigandt

John

Ross Faneuf
04-02-2001, 10:16 AM
Just received and set up my pump from Michael Engineering. I bought their 'A' pump - the low end of their line. Excellent quality, good instructions, just right for my uses. I recommend them without reservation. You would have to be a professional shop with more than 2-3 workers, I suspect, to need a larger pump.

I also bought the small Ohaus scale they sell to check the pump ($99). Seems adequate for the job, and I can use it to mix large batches by weight.

Ross Faneuf
Just received and set up my pump from Michael Engineering. I bought their 'A' pump - the low end of their line. Excellent quality, good instructions, just right for my uses. I recommend them without reservation. You would have to be a professional shop with more than 2-3 workers, I suspect, to need a larger pump.

I also bought the small Ohaus scale they sell to check the pump ($99). Seems adequate for the job, and I can use it to mix large batches by weight.

Ross Faneuf