PDA

View Full Version : Treat panks: Now or Later?

imported_Spissgatter W-9
01-26-2003, 12:40 PM
Anna Marie is planked with doug fir (most new a few original) on oak frames (top bent/bottom relaminated). The old varnish on the original planks has been stripped, all has been sanded. I intend to soak the planks with the traditional forumula (linseed oil/turps/pine tar) in keeping with her age (62). With everything out (including bulkheads and sole), access couldn't be better. I'm in a quandry that if I do this now, it will impede the next steps (attaching beams/bulkheads). Will I be rolling around in oil from then on? Are these problems real or imagined? Your sage words of advice appreciated.

Allen Foote
01-26-2003, 02:45 PM
I'd do it now. You will wipe off the excess? Other wise, you'll always wonder about those spots you couldn't see when you assembled/oiled.

imported_Spissgatter W-9
01-26-2003, 05:41 PM
Allen, she has been out of the water for about a dozen years. So, I intend to ply on as much as she'l take and wipe off the excess. If I need to attach a beam, how would you prep a surface that has been treated this way? Acetone? Sand lightly? Other?

Thad
01-26-2003, 05:48 PM
Good fit and paint in the joint, red lead if you have it. No problem. No high tech compounds incompatible with linseed oil 62yrs ago. Best not let the wood stand bare to dry out.