PDA

View Full Version : best underwater seam sealer ?

rockhard
04-10-2001, 11:58 PM
Is there a product that you can use in your bilge that will seal a small leak. its will be moist most of the time ?
Thanks
Rock

rockhard
Is there a product that you can use in your bilge that will seal a small leak. its will be moist most of the time ?
Thanks
Rock

rockhard
Thanks
Rock

Dave Hadfield
04-11-2001, 11:13 AM
Sealing up a leak from the inside isn't much of a solution.

If it's really what you want to do, there are water-cured polyurethane caulkings that might work.

On a more quick-and-dirty basis, I had very good luck last year with Slick Seam. This is a sticky wax that I used to plug a centerboard seam when Drake was first launched last year. I was able to force this stuff up against the flow of water with a spatula, and it stuck and sealed.

Of course this was temporary. When the boat took up, the wax was squeezed out. But I had also applied it to some plank seams outside the hull before launch. At haul-out, 6 months later, the stuff was still there, stuck to the planks and with no growth on it.

If you can dive below your boat and apply it to the source of the leak, you might be pleasantly surprised.

I think you ought to have a look from below anyway though. Have you lost caulking, or suffered worm or other damage? Perhaps you've already done this.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Dave Hadfield

If it's really what you want to do, there are water-cured polyurethane caulkings that might work.

On a more quick-and-dirty basis, I had very good luck last year with Slick Seam. This is a sticky wax that I used to plug a centerboard seam when Drake was first launched last year. I was able to force this stuff up against the flow of water with a spatula, and it stuck and sealed.

Of course this was temporary. When the boat took up, the wax was squeezed out. But I had also applied it to some plank seams outside the hull before launch. At haul-out, 6 months later, the stuff was still there, stuck to the planks and with no growth on it.

If you can dive below your boat and apply it to the source of the leak, you might be pleasantly surprised.

I think you ought to have a look from below anyway though. Have you lost caulking, or suffered worm or other damage? Perhaps you've already done this.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Dave Hadfield

Hope this helps,

Dave

Carl Stone
04-12-2001, 05:24 PM
Slick Seam rules! Even here in very expensive New York it is only $7 for a large can. I have a 45 footer that loves to pop an occasional new leak, and slick seam fully emerged works every time.

Carl Stone
Slick Seam rules! Even here in very expensive New York it is only $7 for a large can. I have a 45 footer that loves to pop an occasional new leak, and slick seam fully emerged works every time.

Carl Stone