PDA

View Full Version : glass inside of CB trunk?

davebrown
01-09-2016, 12:02 AM
I am completing the centerboard trunk for my deadrise crab skiff. The trunk and board are both substantial: roughly 4x2.5 on the trunk. CB is 1" and will be glassed. Trunk sides are marine ply, doug fir, 1/2",and will be timbered from the side so glass would not be structural. Would you glass the inside? No matter what, I had planned on pox and oil based paint...

Thorne
01-09-2016, 01:15 AM
With DF marine ply I'd certainly glass the inside, as otherwise the checking would let water through the paint after awhile -- not to mention the wear from parts of the CB.

Gerarddm
01-09-2016, 01:53 AM
Completely concur with Thorne.

SullivanB
01-09-2016, 09:15 PM
I am completing the centerboard trunk for my deadrise crab skiff. The trunk and board are both substantial: roughly 4x2.5 on the trunk. CB is 1" and will be glassed. Trunk sides are marine ply, doug fir, 1/2",and will be timbered from the side so glass would not be structural. Would you glass the inside? No matter what, I had planned on pox and oil based paint...

Dave,

are you running a build blog or thread with photos and/or details re your project? I haven't seen it.

SullivanB
01-09-2016, 09:26 PM
Think I've found it. Looks great!

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?150603-Chappelle-skiff/page5

James McMullen
01-09-2016, 09:57 PM
I would glass it just to add abrasion resistance. Easy enough to do now, much harder to repair/maintain later. Maybe 10 oz, with the weave fully filled with a coat or two squeegeed on. You can add graphite to the fill coats to keep it slick if y'want.

windwalker3014
01-10-2016, 01:23 AM
Dave,
For what it's worth, I glassed the inside of mine, I used 6oz cloth because that's what I used elsewhere on the boat (re: it's what I had lying around) and gave it several coats of resin. I haven't launched yet so can't speak to its durability but it seems like it'll work alright. I did not paint the inside of my trunk as it won't see the light of day ever and it won't be in the water long enough to grow a garden.

davebrown
01-10-2016, 03:45 PM
Awesome possum. I will see what glass I have laying around, annoying my wife every time she opens a closet.

davebrown
01-10-2016, 03:46 PM
James, I tried to post a humorous response to your suggestion with Chinese characters, but apparently this Forum box doesn't speak Chinese.

timo4352
01-10-2016, 05:34 PM
Of the only two that I have built - I used 6 oz glass and graphite on both the inside of the case and the board.