PDA

View Full Version : Republicans at heart?

George Jung
01-02-2016, 06:46 PM
Those Saudi's take their executions darn seriously.... Texas style, but at a volume discount that'd make a Texan blush.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/03/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-executes-47-sheikh-nimr-shiite-cleric.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Iranian protesters ransacked and set fire to part of the Saudi Embassy in Tehran on Saturday after Saudi Arabia (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/saudiarabia/index.html?inline=nyt-geo) executed an outspoken Shiite cleric who had criticized the kingdom’s treatment of its Shiite minority.

Protesters broke furniture and smashed windows in an annex to the embassy, said a witness who was reached by telephone from Tehran. The protesters also set fire to the room, said the witness, who would provide only his first name, Abolfazl, because he had been involved in the protest.
The police arrived and cleared the embassy grounds of protesters and extinguished the fire, he said.
The protest against the execution of the cleric, Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr, turned violent after participants began throwing Molotov cocktails at the embassy and then broke into the compound.
Sheikh Nimr was executed in Saudi Arabia along with 46 men on terrorism-related charges, drawing condemnation from Iran and its allies in the region as well as protests around Iran and in other countries.

CWSmith
01-02-2016, 06:56 PM
Our friends . . .

Daniel Noyes
01-02-2016, 09:26 PM
I'm confused, Barack told me Islam is a religion of peace :(

CWSmith
01-02-2016, 09:28 PM

We have executions, too.

Gerarddm
01-02-2016, 09:31 PM

Dubya said it first.

Daniel Noyes
01-02-2016, 09:32 PM
yeah but we're terrible violent murderous pack of insane right wing Christians, we're terrible people (compared to natzis and their gas chambers on a recent thread) as has been pointed out adenausium by posters here in the bildge
Americans are definately not peace loving Muslims like those who populate the majority of the Middleast!

how could something like this happen in such a peaceloving corner of the globe?

Daniel Noyes
01-02-2016, 09:35 PM
Dubya said it first.

sad but true.

Steve McMahon
01-02-2016, 09:39 PM
yeah but we're terrible violent murderous pack of insane right wing Christians,

I wouldn't say that about all 'mercians, but it seems to accurately describe a certain segment of the population.

Daniel Noyes
01-02-2016, 10:21 PM
I wouldn't say that about all 'mercians, but it seems to accurately describe a certain segment of the population.

yeah and Im sure you'd much rather live in one of those peaceful middle eastern countries than " 'merica " founded and built by horrid worthless idiots like born-again Christians... right? your probably packing your bags to move right now...

gonna go live the good life in... ? Saudi Arabia? or mabey Syria? ... I've heard sooo much on Facebook (from Democrats) about how peace-loving the locals are there.

BrianW
01-03-2016, 04:00 AM
Those Saudi's take their executions darn seriously.... Texas style, but at a volume discount that'd make a Texan blush.

Never miss an opportunity to take a serious event, and turn it into political trash talk.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
01-03-2016, 05:31 AM
Kill em all, let Allah sort them out.

George Jung
01-03-2016, 11:52 AM
Never miss an opportunity to take a serious event, and turn it into political trash talk.

Well, that's rude.

Maybe you're unaware of where Texas ranks in US executions.

Maybe you're unaware they generally execute their prisoners one at a time, after some semblance of due process.

Doesn't look like Saudi does.

Daniel Noyes
01-04-2016, 10:54 PM
No.

"Republicans at heart?"
is rude.

Cuyahoga Chuck
01-04-2016, 11:15 PM

What they did was not a religious sacrifice. They were applying punishments their law requires. It's a bloodthirsty system but the folks that dish it out are sovereign in their own country. And the Saudis are not the totality of Islam as you imply.

Daniel Noyes
01-04-2016, 11:19 PM
very true,
there's Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria, Iran, Egypt, Lybia...

mdh
01-05-2016, 01:38 AM
Well, that's rude.

Maybe you're unaware of where Texas ranks in US executions.

Maybe you're unaware they generally execute their prisoners one at a time, after some semblance of due process.

Doesn't look like Saudi does.

Maybe your unawares are in a wad.

Steve McMahon
01-05-2016, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE=Daniel Noyes;4756023]yeah and Im sure you'd much rather live in one of those peaceful middle eastern countries than " 'merica " founded and built by horrid worthless idiots like born-again Christians... right? your probably packing your bags to move right now.../QUOTE]

Actually - Yes I am packing as we speak. I'm going to the far East actually. To a multi cultural melting pot that includes many Muslims as well as (unarmed) born again Christians.

CWSmith
01-05-2016, 10:38 AM
Charlie Rose had a discussion of this last night. They called it a "distraction". Saudi Arabia is apparently hurting for $$$ and they need a means to keep all those princes in line. Iran came off as the heroes of the piece.

LeeG
01-05-2016, 11:14 AM

I agree completely. There are many angles to discuss this and politics is at the top but not puerile tit for tat internal politics of the US that has nothing to do with the conflicts within and between these countries.

George Jung
01-05-2016, 11:22 AM
Republicans seemingly are the 'pro death penalty' party of the USA; despite increasing difficulty obtaining drugs for execution, several states continue at a strong pace. Increasingly, those on death row are being exonerated with DNA evidence, yet *some* ignore this, and continue to push for these executions. I think even a cursory examination of those executed in SA would suggest a similar (even moreso) number unfairly convicted.

So yeah - the discussion and comparison has merit, despite your disclaimer.

Sky Blue
01-05-2016, 11:25 AM
Don't feed the troll

LeeG
01-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Republicans seemingly are the 'pro death penalty' party of the USA; despite increasing difficulty obtaining drugs for execution, several states continue at a strong pace. Increasingly, those on death row are being exonerated with DNA evidence, yet *some* ignore this, and continue to push for these executions. I think even a cursory examination of those executed in SA would suggest a similar (even moreso) number unfairly convicted.

So yeah - the discussion and comparison has merit, despite your disclaimer.

Then start a thread on that exact topic. Using a totally unrelated event reinforces the delusion that world politics can be defined in terms of our politics. One of the major factors in rationalizing the invasion of Iraq is that they're just like us yearning for Freedom, Democracy and consumerism.

George Jung
01-05-2016, 11:58 AM
I did - and this is it. I'm *assuming* most here are capable of connecting the dots. That you can't is... unfortunate. Don't like it? Take your business elsewhere.

LeeG
01-05-2016, 01:25 PM
George, Saudi Arabia executes many more people than the US does per capita and we do not execute people for disagreeing with the powers that be. The Republican Party may have attempted to lead on domestic issues like crime or sexual morality but the general population supported a lot of mandatory sentencing in the War On Crime.

The topics of sentencing, prisons, execution in the US is best defined on our terms and not a connection of dots to a Wahhabist monarchy executing citizens for apostasy. You can see from the responses it's not.

George Jung
01-05-2016, 01:30 PM
Maybe you should try reading the OP a bit more closely....

that 'whoosh' is going over your head.

elf
01-05-2016, 01:33 PM
yeah but we're terrible violent murderous pack of insane right wing Christians, we're terrible people (compared to natzis and their gas chambers on a recent thread) as has been pointed out adenausium by posters here in the bildge
Americans are definately not peace loving Muslims like those who populate the majority of the Middleast!

how could something like this happen in such a peaceloving corner of the globe?
"a" terrible...
Nazis
ad nauseum
bilge
Middle East

Learn how to spell and use grammar, or edit your postings, if you wish to be respected around here. There are nitpickers on both sides just lying in wait for the illiterate to reveal themselves.