Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregH
    • Apr 2005

Any DVD experts here?

About 10 or 11 years ago, I bought a DVD entitled "Nine Lives - the Story of the Catboat" from the Catboat Assn. I watched it several times, and since then (at least 8 or 9 years) it's been sitting on a bookshelf. The other day I was going to watch it. I put in the DVD player, pressed play, and....nothing. The little window on the player said "No Disc" ! I tried in on my PC and the same. Since then I've tried it on several other PC's, DVD players - all the same- "No Disk". As far as I know, it's never been exposed to any electromagnet fields, X-rays, etc.. etc. Anyone have an idea as to what has happened, and more importantly, can it be repaired?
  • AndyG
    Still Not Banned Yet
    • Mar 2011

Re: Any DVD experts here?

DVDs read from the inside out. The opening information is region, format, file location, etc. Any damage to the tracks near the hole?

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Comment

• CWSmith
      New Hampshire
      • Nov 2008

I've been reading about DVDs having a higher failure rate than CDs. Given the volume issues, I'm looking for a better archival material and I don't know what it is.
      "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• CWSmith
        New Hampshire
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Donn
        The safest archival medium is redundancy. I use multiple off-site hard drives and multiple cloud-based storage services. Always keep at least 2 more copies than you think you need.
        I do agree with this. I am fond of external drives that plug in via USB ports. I have large volumes of data at work.

I've heard that memory sticks have a high failure rate.
        "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• S/V Laura Ellen
          Neither Fair nor Balanced
          • Oct 2003

One very good option is a USB drive dock. It allows you to easily swap in and out drives that can be then taken off site.
          Allan of the Grove
          "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

Comment

• Ted Hoppe
            Irritant, Level 2
            • Nov 2006

was the the dvd in a sunny room or a place that had variable temperatures?

nearly 10 years ago, the majority of my remaster works i wisely put one DVD I had shot including Star Wars, Titanic, Ed TV and dozens of broadcast, commercials and industrial projects were erased because i didn't close the shades in my office and went on a vacation for a week in the hot summer. I was devastated. I learned then that nothing is safe.

BTW - if you rip a DVD and save it, it could be a violation of copyright.
            Without friends none of this is possible.

Comment

Working...