PDA

View Full Version : I hate cars somedays

hokiefan
12-30-2015, 11:18 AM
My old ride just crapped the bed last night. Engine is shot, main bearings, etc. Had plenty of good looking oil and coolant, just died of old age is the best the mechanic can figure. What a PITA...

Cheers,

Bobby

Tom Wilkinson
12-30-2015, 11:21 AM
what kind and how many miles. pretty rare to see that anymore. Few keep a car long enough to wear it out. I never have and have had several over 200k.

Gerarddm
12-30-2015, 11:21 AM
I sure hated mine yesterday when I picked up a $200 speeding ticket. Haven't had one in YEARS but the officer showed no mercy. Ah well.

Ps: I ran my old Honda Accord to 275,000 miles and my Acura Legend to 298,000. What kind of car do you have?

hokiefan
12-30-2015, 11:33 AM
what kind and how many miles. pretty rare to see that anymore. Few keep a car long enough to wear it out. I never have and have had several over 200k.

Ford Taurus with 225K miles. Seemed to be running well.

S.V. Airlie
12-30-2015, 11:36 AM
what kind and how many miles. pretty rare to see that anymore. Few keep a car long enough to wear it out. I never have and have had several over 200k.They rust out before dying

LeeG
12-30-2015, 11:39 AM
I took a friend's car in for an oil change and check up. Needs brakes and right front axle. Doesn't seem too bad for 19 yr old car w 165k. My daughter has my old '97 Subaru w 275k. We keep expecting it to keel over but it's doing fine.

S.V. Airlie
12-30-2015, 11:41 AM
My car will probably die the day after my last payment is cashed.

mdh
12-30-2015, 11:44 AM
Ford Taurus with 225K miles. Seemed to be running well.

Take it to mexican auto shop, bout the only kind you can find anymore, and have another engine put in it. Those are great cars. Decide what to do with it after it's running, you'll get your money back.

Tom Wilkinson
12-30-2015, 12:10 PM
They rust out before dying

Not here they don't. My 99 dodge dakota pickup looks like new underneath. Co worker has a ford ranger with 400k on it. No rust anywhere. It has had three clutches.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
12-30-2015, 12:11 PM
I had a 1973 Ford F-100 with a 302 that went 400,000+ miles.
My 98 Dodge truck has 170,000 right now.
Trucks seem to last longer.
Losing a good vehicle is like losing an old friend.
My condolences.

S.V. Airlie
12-30-2015, 12:13 PM
Not here they don't. 99 dodge dakota pickup looks like new underneath. Co worker has a ford ranger with 400k on it. No rust anywhere. It has had three clutches.In some regions they do. Here in Western NY with the usual winters they do.

Tom Wilkinson
12-30-2015, 12:17 PM
In some regions they do. Here in Western NY with the usual winters they do.

I know, i grew up in MA and have a home in NH. In GA cars last indefinitely. It's nearly always worth fixing over buying a new one.

S.V. Airlie
12-30-2015, 12:23 PM
I know, i grew up in MA and have a home in NH. In GA cars last indefinitely. It's nearly always worth fixing over buying a new one.In the late fall, I drive past mountains of salt to be put on the roads here. Not good for cars. A "southern" car is worth a lot more than one sold here for a reason. Lots of cars, heck, most I see ain't new, engine usually runs fine, body is something else.

hokiefan
12-30-2015, 12:29 PM
I know, i grew up in MA and have a home in NH. In GA cars last indefinitely. It's nearly always worth fixing over buying a new one.

This one was southern car most of its life so the body, etc is in reasonable shape. The guy at the shop said he could do a new used motor for ~$1600 and I'm tempted. Anything I buy for $2000 is going to have a ton of miles as well. Gonna have to mull this over.

Cheers,

Bobby

S.V. Airlie
12-30-2015, 12:33 PM
Easier fixing a car then stopping the rust issue, it attacks relentlessly. Ya patch one day, and it's spread in just a couple of months.:)i

Tom Wilkinson
12-30-2015, 12:35 PM
If it's been a good car for you and is otherwise well maintained, I wouldn't hesitate to drop a motor in it. 1600 is very reasonable.

12-30-2015, 12:40 PM
A new vehicle is a crap shoot, might be good, might be bad.
With the one you have, you know what you got.
A rebuilt motor is better than a "used" ie Junkyard motor.
That $1600 estimate should be for a rebuilt motor and labor eh?

LeeG
12-30-2015, 12:42 PM
$1600 sounds cheap

Jim Mahan
12-30-2015, 12:50 PM
A new vehicle is a crap shoot, might be good, might be bad.

Agreed. Stupid editor won't let me set only part of the quote in italics.

Another used vehicle is a crap shoot.

CWSmith
12-30-2015, 01:09 PM
My 1999 Subaru is still running with just a little early body rust around the left rear wheel. It needs a new power steering pump and I put about $1500 into it each year now, but it's still cheaper than new and a great car in the winter.

My old Hondas all ran until the car turned to dust while the engine kept going.

I have no idea why anyone buys an "American" car these days.

12-30-2015, 01:14 PM
Assembled in America is good enough for me.
All cars have foreign made parts.

S.V. Airlie
12-30-2015, 01:14 PM
I refuse to, once burned and all of that.

Reynard38
12-30-2015, 01:18 PM
My 2001 330i is just passed 160,000 miles. Bought it 60,000miles and 6 years ago for $9k. Still looks great and drives, well like a BMW. Also does a good job as tow vehicle and lumber hauler.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah159/mark_ritter1/image_zpsnmiufeyo.jpeg (http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/mark_ritter1/media/image_zpsnmiufeyo.jpeg.html)

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah159/mark_ritter1/image_zpsgtojusfx.jpeg (http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/mark_ritter1/media/image_zpsgtojusfx.jpeg.html)

If I want to keep it long term I'll need to drop @ $5k to make everything right, but the New 228i with the M sport package is really talking to me. :)

First though I need to get th daughter a new car for college graduation and also build a house, then maybe.......

CWSmith
12-30-2015, 01:31 PM

Yes, I used an outdated term to refer to Ford, GM, etc. There is no "American car company" anymore and both Subaru and Honda are assembled in the USA. However, the designs are superior in my opinion.

slug
12-30-2015, 01:38 PM
Looks like its time for a new car.

why not one of these ?

Decent milage ....reliable....

You only live once .

its good for the economy.

http://s24.postimg.org/jmm1crrmd/image.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
subir foto (http://postimage.org/index.php?lang=spanish)

S.V. Airlie
12-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Yes, I used an outdated term to refer to Ford, GM, etc. There is no "American car company" anymore and both Subaru and Honda are assembled in the USA. However, the designs are superior in my opinion.It's not just the designs. I had a 1974 Bronco. Bought new. Six months later, I lost the front drive shaft. Too new to get parts the Ford Company hadn't started to make replacement parts yet. I had it welded together and hoped and prayed it would last.n

George Jung
12-30-2015, 01:48 PM
Our family has had several Tauruses; good, inexpensive cars, but nothing to brag about. I've never gotten more than 150,000 out of one, so I'd say you're doing well. Problem with dropping in a new engine - still running an old transaxle, suspension etc.

Get a Subie or a Honda.

slug
12-30-2015, 01:48 PM

Some of the Ford products like the Focus are assembled in the US and have a majority of American made parts.

That focus is good choice if you are shopping for a car . Always has good reviews,

stromborg
12-30-2015, 02:51 PM
https://stromborg.smugmug.com/Cars/Vanagon/i-4rSmS7d/0/L/IMGP0021-L.jpg

This month's project. Unknown mileage 2.2l subaru pulled out of the engine bay of my VW camper...side effect of pulling the transmission which needs a new ring&pinion set. The RH cylinder head has a boogered up sparkplug hole, may as well replace the left one too, eh? The dollars are flying out of my wallet, but the rest of the camper is in great shape so it makes a certain amount of sense. I might even be able to sell off the bike in the background and almost break even.

$1600 for a new engine in the Taurus doesn't sound so bad.

seanz
12-30-2015, 04:09 PM
360,000 ks? Good going. :)

How old is it?

switters
12-30-2015, 04:14 PM
$1,600 sounds almost too good to be true, you might want to find out where the engine came from. Like a flood damage car or similar.

cheers,

hokiefan
12-30-2015, 04:40 PM
$1,600 sounds almost too good to be true, you might want to find out where the engine came from. Like a flood damage car or similar.

cheers,

I did a quick google. You can get a junkyard engine for that car pretty readily for $800-900, which leaves ~10 hours labor at a typical shop rate. Won't be a like new engine, probably one from a car that was in a wreck and had the rear torn up. But millions of these cars and their engines have been sold over the years. Not hard to find parts. Gave a quick call to a Ford dealer as a sanity check, they said $2500 minimum. But they then added for that age car they'd take it to a local shop and get a much better deal.

Cheers,

Bobby

Garret
12-30-2015, 06:35 PM

cheers,

I too checked the web & engines are available for 600-900US. Google "ford taurus motor for sale". If it were a Bimmer, Audi, etc. you'd need to triple that.

Reality is that these days most people wreck cars well before the engine is shot - or if a northern car it rusts out to where it no longer will pass inspection by 120K. Any reputable junkyard will tell you the mileage on it - but miles are only part of the story. A city driven car with 60K will be in worse shape than a highway miles car with 120k. Same for a car that was just driven & one that was well maintained.

If the car was from Georgia & has only been in Illinois for a few years, the body is probably good enough for 3-4 more years*, which makes $1600 sound pretty reasonable. Is the interior decent? How's the rest of the drivetrain? The transmission/differential may be close behind the engine as far as wear goes & you may find that buying an engine & transmission as a unit is only a few hundred more, plus it'll save a few bucks on the installation. For example, if the 2 together with 100k were $1000 instead of say 700, the install would take a couple of hours less - paying for 1/2 the newer transmission. Just a thought...

* at least. I made my living for 4 years turning old cars (in the south) into southern cars (in the north). To people only familiar with rust-belt cars, the difference is astounding.

Breakaway
12-30-2015, 10:21 PM
Wow. $1,600 installed is a super price. Be twice that here. Easy.<br><br>I'd go for that.<br><br>Good luck with whatever you decide.<br><br>Kevin

leikec
12-30-2015, 10:31 PM
This one was southern car most of its life so the body, etc is in reasonable shape. The guy at the shop said he could do a new used motor for ~$1600 and I'm tempted. Anything I buy for $2000 is going to have a ton of miles as well. Gonna have to mull this over.

Cheers,

Bobby

Put a rebuilt Transmission in it when you do the engine. Better now than 5000 miles after the engine change.

Jeff C

Dan McCosh
12-31-2015, 12:18 PM
Lease payments on a new car get down to under $70 a month. Not bad if you don't drive a lot of miles. Tough to justify $3,000 in a beater.

john welsford
12-31-2015, 01:05 PM
Here $2000 will buy a four cylinder Camry with a good body and about 250K on it, I'd had company cars for most of my working life so it was a shock when I changed careers, but for years I bought those Camrys, ran them to about 400k then sold them for a grand. a thousand dollars for 150K is cheap running and I never had to do any work to them, not even brakes or cam belt, just a new filter and an oil change every 50k.

But the engineering work I do required me to carry around 100kg of tools around, heavy and bulky, so I bought a 15 year old Mazda diesel pickup, ran that for two years and liked the four door diesel pickup so much I went and treated myself to a brand new Mitsubishi Triton diesel pickup with a cap over the deck . So nice, right now its got a kitset pizza oven in the back, around 450 kg, plus all my tools in a drawer set below a false floor at the height of the wheel arches, and I've still got the equivalent of a nice four door car ahead of that.
Oh yes, Towing capacity is about 7000 lbs and I'm getting around 40 mpg on diesel which is about 2/3 the price of gas here.
http://www.driven.co.nz/reviews/reviews/mitsubishi-launches-a-new-triton-ute/

All the best for the new year people, have a good one. Its Jan 1st at 7 am here.

John Welsford.

Lew Barrett
12-31-2015, 02:07 PM
I like cars especially when I consider an alternative like riding and keeping a horse for 250,000 miles. Cars are cheap for all they give you. These days it seems I buy a new one for myself every eight to ten years and always buy something I will enjoy driving. Usually they come from Germany, but lately I've been considering Japanese iron as well. Every time I buy American, I seem to be disappointed, unless I'm buying a truck. I should add that my personal car is never the only vehicle I have to source and maintain as there's always a truck as well as my wife's car in the picture. So the upshot is that I end up buying a vehicle every three years or so, but they're usually not for my exclusive use. When I was still working, cars came and went with more alarming regularity.

hokiefan
09-21-2016, 01:22 PM
Put a rebuilt Transmission in it when you do the engine. Better now than 5000 miles after the engine change.

Jeff C

OK. If anyone wants to say I told you so here's your chance. I did get 8k after the engine change, but now we're doing the new used transmission. |:(

Cheers,

Bobby

leikec
09-21-2016, 01:38 PM
OK. If anyone wants to say I told you so here's your chance. I did get 8k after the engine change, but now we're doing the new used transmission. |:(

Cheers,

Bobby

I feel your pain, brother :(

Jeff C

Norman Bernstein
09-21-2016, 01:40 PM
I tend to run the cars I drive to about 150,000 miles... and then trade them in on a new car.

It's not that cars can't go MANY more miles than that (and loads of people brag about how they've run their cars for 300,000, 400,000 or even more miles). ANY car can always be repaired and continue running, assuming that rust hasn't destroyed the body to the point where it's not really a repair anymore, but a replacement.

I stop at 150,000 miles because, in my experience, it's the point at which the inconvenience factor of having the car laid up on repairs is too great for my lifestyle. I HATE having to arrange for alternate transportation, if the car has to go into the shop... it affects my billings, and wastes time. My last Honda Accord was still running well at 150,00 miles... but I had just put $1000 into a new clutch, the drivers side doorlatch was giving me problems, it was beginning to burn some oil, and I had some fuel system problems that took a week in the shop to sort out... so I ditched it.

I've got 77,000 on my 2013 Honda Accord, and so far, aside from normal maintenance, all I've needed has been tires and front brake pads.

The one great thing about a brand new car is that you can generally depend on 60K-70K miles without having to do ANYTHING other than periodic oil changes... and at that point, you probably need new tires, and possibly a brake job... but at 120,000 miles plus, there's a stronger likelihood of more comparatively expensive repairs... exhaust system, shocks, etc. None of these things are all that expensive, in a relative sense... they just take up time and cause inconvenience.

I don't think that paying for convenience is an unreasonable thing.

David G
09-21-2016, 01:48 PM
My Toyota Tundra is at the shop today for an oil change, and it's 120k servicing. Mechanic says it's go 250k easily - with regular maintenance. He owns one slightly older, with over that already.

BrianW
09-21-2016, 02:22 PM
Note to self... listen to Jeff C about old cars. :D

Norman Bernstein
09-21-2016, 02:28 PM
My Toyota Tundra is at the shop today for an oil change, and it's 120k servicing. Mechanic says it's go 250k easily - with regular maintenance....

..and some possibly expensive replacement parts, like exhaust, clutch, alternator, and anything else that MIGHT pop up. In the aggregate, it will certainly be cheaper to keep repairing it... as long as the time in the shop and the inconvenience isn't an issue for you.

After I retire, there won't be any inconvenience... I won't have much else to do :)

Tom@NC
09-21-2016, 02:40 PM
2003 Toyota Tacoma single cab here. Odometer rolled to 298,000 last week. I am certain that oil and filter changes make all the difference in the world.
I do drive easy and it is flat around here. Original clutch, front pads replaced at 276,000 (didn't need the rotors turned), and rack and pinion replaced at 260,000, high pressure hoses began to leak. Rear brake shoes are original (did I mention that I drive easy?), I need to back up once in a while instead of pulling through parking spaces but the camper limits visibility to the sides and rear.
I gave away my 1990 Tacoma when it had 246,000 on the clock.
Almost no road salt here although the ocean does salt our roads occasionallyBY:D.
Keep them running,
Tom

hokiefan
09-21-2016, 04:18 PM

Remind me of that the next time he gives me old car advice. Crap...

leikec
09-21-2016, 04:27 PM

And politics... :D

Jeff C

Waddie
09-21-2016, 04:46 PM
Sold a 1987 Toyota 4X4 4cyl pickup a couple years back for $1700 and it had over 400K on it. Never had to get into the engine for anything, but I did replace the rusting bed twice.

regards,
Waddie

leikec
09-22-2016, 01:00 PM
Sold a 1987 Toyota 4X4 4cyl pickup a couple years back for $1700 and it had over 400K on it. Never had to get into the engine for anything, but I did replace the rusting bed twice.

regards,
Waddie

Those Kansas winters...

Jeff C

bobbys
09-22-2016, 01:19 PM
I'm disappointed Hokifan drives a Taurus..

What next, a mommy van?.

I see him in a English sports car( racing green) with a tweed coat and pipe and scarf..

It's not to late.......

Tom@NC
09-22-2016, 01:41 PM
That would be a pretty ride around Blacksburg in about a month, C'mon hokiefan, go for it!
Tom