PDA

View Full Version : Okay. I'll join the Pron.

ron ll
12-28-2015, 01:30 PM
This is a boat my friend is working on in Berkeley. He said it was built in about 1928 but said nothing else about it. The image info says something about "darknoise", but I don't know if that's the name.

http://www.svlchaim.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/image.jpg

C. Ross
12-28-2015, 01:47 PM
Oh my. Very striking, especially the dark finish on the decks offsetting the traditional brightwork.

CWSmith
12-28-2015, 01:55 PM
That is an interesting boat. Also, a good visual on how skinny hulls have given way to wider forms.

ron ll
12-28-2015, 02:00 PM
I'm trying to find out more from my friend. A very pretty boat, tho I'm not sure I like the deck planks let into the white stern covering board.

SullivanB
12-28-2015, 02:01 PM
Lovely boat, indeed. Would love to see below.

wudzgud
12-28-2015, 02:07 PM
New York 40?

Norman Bernstein
12-28-2015, 02:09 PM
That's a Hunter, on the other side of the finger.... IMHO, a truly horrible boat, relative to FG boats. The rig is ridiculous; in an effort to eliminate a backstay, it has extreme swept-back spreaders, so much so, that dead downwind sailing is a joke. Most Hunters also feature fractional rigs, so the headsail isn't much help either. The cockpit ergonomics are dreadful... with a dodger in place, the high cabintop makes forward visibility truly minimal, and the headsail primary winches are so close to the stainless steel arch supports, they require short winch handles and it's a challenge to make complete turns when the sheeting forces are high.

Admittedly, down below, it's very different... quite luxurious and comfortable, and most models that size feature both refrigeration as well as a separate freezer.

I got to know a Hunter 43 fairly intimately, when we led another couple on a Downeast cruise all the way to Penobscot Bay. This couple was new to sailing, and wouldn't have dared make a trip like that, without a guide of sorts. I felt a bit sorry for his inability to keep up with my boat, even though I'm not a great technical sailor and rarely have the patience for finely tweaking things for speed. On that boat, just furling the in-mast mainsail was a challenge, since the system used contained a continuous line furling drum, and the effort required was high.

S.V. Airlie
12-28-2015, 02:11 PM
My brother had one, a 400 something. All Hunters are bascally mirror images just different sizes.

ron ll
12-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Another boat he is working on. All he said was this is what $100,000 looks like.
http://www.svlchaim.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/image2.jpg

Norman Bernstein
12-28-2015, 02:19 PM
Another boat he is working on. All he said was this is what $100,000 looks like.

$100K?

That looks more like a $25K repair, at best.

CWSmith
12-28-2015, 02:22 PM
Beneteau are all the rage now. I see them advertised for big bucks. I fail to see the appeal.

Norman Bernstein
12-28-2015, 02:27 PM
Beneteau are all the rage now. I see them advertised for big bucks. I fail to see the appeal.

Beneteau used to be primarily a builder of boats for the Charter trade, but they're getting a stronger foothold in the owner/operator market. They bought Jeanneau some years back, and now, Jeanneau is sort of their premium line... better fit and finish than Beneteau. Even the Beneteaus are nice boats, however.... there's one in my marina that's fitted out for very long range cruising, and it's beautiful.

Let's face it: fiberglass boats are for people who want to spend the majority of their time sailing, and very little time repairing or maintaining. I'm one of them.

ron ll
12-28-2015, 02:36 PM
$100K?

That looks more like a $25K repair, at best.

He did say that the owner put it on autopilot and then fell asleep and ran into a marina. Maybe some of the cost is for other boats in the marina.

S.V. Airlie
12-28-2015, 02:43 PM
When I had my boat at Hinckley for repairs, there was this guy who had a 40 something Hinckley, brains were extra. He could not enter the boatyard without hitting pilings, the dinghy dock, a few boats already tied up to a dock. It was his reason for living.:) Every time he tied up his boat and carrying a big check book, visited the office.

Norman Bernstein
12-28-2015, 02:51 PM
He did say that the owner put it on autopilot and then fell asleep and ran into a marina. Maybe some of the cost is for other boats in the marina.

What an idiot!

Yeah, if there was collateral damage, then I might be able to see a bill like that. The damage to the Beneteau alone doesn't look like anywhere near that much.

S.V. Airlie
12-28-2015, 02:54 PM
A fishing vessel a few years ago, at anchor was ramed by a sailboat under sail. One man on board, auto pilot ingaged, eating/making a P&J sandwich below. Fourteen fishermen jumped overboard! No one was killed.

ron ll
12-28-2015, 03:03 PM
Back to the original picture, my friend said to try "Wind Witch". But I still didn't find her. He said the owner has been doing his own work on her for 25 years "...while married to the same woman!"

Paul Pless
12-28-2015, 03:04 PM
Way cool boat Ron, thanks for posting.

Roger Cumming
12-28-2015, 09:40 PM
Beneteau used to be primarily a builder of boats for the Charter trade, but they're getting a stronger foothold in the owner/operator market. They bought Jeanneau some years back, and now, Jeanneau is sort of their premium line... better fit and finish than Beneteau. Even the Beneteaus are nice boats, however.... there's one in my marina that's fitted out for very long range cruising, and it's beautiful.

Let's face it: fiberglass boats are for people who want to spend the majority of their time sailing, and very little time repairing or maintaining. I'm one of them.

Who the hell wants to talk about ugly fiberglass boats? Not me.

The sleek wood sloop, on the other hand, deserves comment. The little coamings on each side of the companionway on the cabin trunk appear to be there to direct water that would otherwise flow into the cockpit at about eye level, from waves taken over the bow. I wish my Drago, which had similar shape and low freeboard and liked to travel through waves rather than over them, had had this little amenity. I wonder why the backstay is off-center. Why are there no running backstays? And no boom or hardware to attach it to the mast.

ron ll
12-28-2015, 10:18 PM
My friend is in the process of putting the rigging back on.

BETTY-B
12-28-2015, 11:01 PM
That's not Berkeley. I'm pretty sure it's at KKMI in Pt. Richmond at the North end of the Santa Fe Channel. Spendy Wendy! I've got some feelers out. I'll let you know if I learn anything.

By the way, you should ask your friend to send some pics of the boats across that channel at the private property/dock. EROS is there. Or was a couple months ago anyways. http://www.charterbrochure.com/antiguayachtcharters/lizmarlow/eros/

ron ll
12-28-2015, 11:52 PM
Could be. He lives aboard at the Berkeley Marina and works for the boatyard there, but could work on boats at other marinas.

Gerarddm
12-29-2015, 01:40 AM
That is a well kept boat, by golly. Interesting how they nibbed the rear planking, but did not at the bow.

nautiguy
12-29-2015, 03:31 AM
By the way, you should ask your friend to send some pics of the boats across that channel at the private property/dock. EROS is there. Or was a couple months ago anyways. http://www.charterbrochure.com/antiguayachtcharters/lizmarlow/eros/[/QUOTE]

Also right next door to KKMI at the Point San Pablo Yacht Club are the Block Island Ketch "Sans Souci, the pinkie schooner "Tiger", the Seabird yawl"Duchess", the Spaulding sloop "Nautigal", the Angelman Ketch "Sea Lover", the Nordic ketch "Farida", the schooner "Aida", the schooner "Bluenose", the Atkin Ingrid ketch "Ingwe", the French sloop "Victus", and the S & S sloop "Nimue". In addition to the sail boats, the club is home to the Grand Banks 42' "Lampuka", the Monterey fishboat, "Channel Pride", the Chris Craft 34' "Sugar Babe", the converted fish boat "Tacoma", and the trawler "Thora".

Not bad wood boat representation in a 45 boat marina

BrianW
01-16-2016, 01:55 AM
This is a boat my friend is working on in Berkeley. He said it was built in about 1928 but said nothing else about it. The image info says something about "darknoise", but I don't know if that's the name.

http://www.svlchaim.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/image.jpg

That gorgeous enough to make me forgo an engine.

(Although I'd pay hugely in docking damage fees!)

BrianW
01-16-2016, 01:57 AM
When I had my boat at Hinckley for repairs, there was this guy who had a 40 something Hinckley, brains were extra. He could not enter the boatyard without hitting pilings, the dinghy dock, a few boats already tied up to a dock. It was his reason for living.:) Every time he tied up his boat and carrying a big check book, visited the office.

Good stuff Jamie! :D

Felt the same way (without the actual damage) bringing in my 65' fishing boat.