PDA

View Full Version : Vertigo

jack grebe
12-27-2015, 09:52 AM
Donna recently started feeling the effects,completely new experience for her.
Any one have a helpful idea or two. We do recognise it as others in the family deal with it also.

StevenBauer
12-27-2015, 10:55 AM
Hopefully just an inner ear infection. But it could be something more serious. See the doctor. Not something I'd want to wait on.

Steven

Norman Bernstein
12-27-2015, 11:00 AM
Sometimes (from what I've read and seen on TV), vertigo is caused by tiny 'stones' (calcifications?) in the fluid of the inner ear... and the vertigo can be 'cured' by lying flat with one's head straight, then turning the head to the side for 30 seconds, and then moving the head straight again. There is a name for the maneuver, although I've forgotten it.

Evidently, the procedure shifts the tiny stones to a different position, and the vertigo goes away.

McMike
12-27-2015, 11:02 AM
I had bouts of it in my early 20s that coincided with panic attacks. No fun, dangerous even. Had a few attacks while driving. Had to treat the anxiety, small doses of prozac (20mgs per day) and a very small dose of sedative to help on the bad nights. I took the Prozac for six months and it helped tremendously.

Could be a lot of different things as Steven said, get it checked out.

jack grebe
12-27-2015, 11:25 AM
Sometimes (from what I've read and seen on TV), vertigo is caused by tiny 'stones' (calcifications?) in the fluid of the inner ear... and the vertigo can be 'cured' by lying flat with one's head straight, then turning the head to the side for 30 seconds, and then moving the head straight again. There is a name for the maneuver, although I've forgotten it.

Evidently, the procedure shifts the tiny stones to a different position, and the vertigo goes away.

It's called the Epley maneuver,we did just give that a shot...waiting to see what happens.

Norman Bernstein
12-27-2015, 11:49 AM
It's called the Epley maneuver,we did just give that a shot...waiting to see what happens.

Yup, thanks for reminding me of the name.... hope it works!

jack grebe
12-27-2015, 11:52 AM
Me too

Jim Bow
12-27-2015, 02:49 PM
Last year, at the US Open, held locally at Chambers Bay, the young Aussie leader was struck by vertigo during the match. He had to play on, despite it.
I think the above mentioned manuever, done that night, set him up for the next day's play.

C. Ross
12-27-2015, 03:32 PM
Same thing here. Tests coming. Do you have any hearing loss or tinnitus? They're checking me out for Labrynthitis or Ménière's disease. I'm hoping not to lose my hearing.

Ron Carter
12-27-2015, 07:52 PM
Dehydration sets it off for me. Staying well hydrated is important in my case.

Dave Wright
12-27-2015, 10:32 PM
I've had 6 occurences in the past 25 years. Latest was about a year ago. It always comes on upon awakening and rolling over in bed. On two occasions it was so sudden and intense that I threw up and had to close my eyes and hang on to ride through the sensation of spinning around. I believe it is due to "stones" in the inner ear fluid. I've done the Epley maneuver once or twice with good results, but the sensation often intensifies during the maneuver. The last couple of times I simply gutted it out, moving about and staying as active as possible, and it goes away in 5 or 6 days. I've also found that getting out on a boat can work too. Since the boat motion is normal, the vertigo also seems sort of normal, and at least for me, and I can ride through it.

Eventually, at least for me, I decided that it was common in many people, not worthy of panic or worry, and would always go away in a few days. I did have one acquaintence for whom it never went away, and that scared me a bit, but he learned to live with it and function at an almost normal level.

My advice is keep as active as possible, lots of movement in lieu of the Epley movement if that doesn't work out, and be comforted in knowing that it will very likely go away in a few days to a week.

jack grebe
12-28-2015, 07:21 AM
She awoke today feeling better, but it didn't last long. ....seeing Dr this morning. No hearing loss or ringing in the ears but some aching in the left ear.

Lew Barrett
12-28-2015, 08:12 AM
I hope it works out well for Donna and you too, Cris. Please keep us informed.

jack grebe
12-28-2015, 08:42 AM
Sitting In the waiting room now.

Dave Wright
12-28-2015, 12:01 PM
If it's the most common affliction, and it most likely is, this will be informative:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/vertigo/basics/definition/con-20028216

Best wishes.

George Jung
12-28-2015, 01:29 PM
http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M2b844104092459af3a1e8b70815b9770o0&w=300&h=225&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

There's your anatomy; the 'stones' are normal - stimulate nerves within the canals, sending signals to the brain re: position. Treatment includes Antivert (meclizine), and can also involve positioning - Epley maneuvers, among others. Menieres' - that's a bit trickier. Good luck.

jack grebe
12-28-2015, 04:29 PM
Definitely inner ear, gave her meclizine.told her to ride it out.
She had another acute episode during the exam, god I hate
to see her like that. Just screaming in panic, not knowing what way is up.