PDA

View Full Version : Here's a puzzle

John Smith
12-25-2015, 07:36 PM
I got a call this AM from my daughter, whom we visited Christmas Eve for a few hours. We were going there again today. She called and told us my car is leaking something, but wasn't sure what. Asked me to park on the street, which we did.

In her driveway, where I had parked was the strangest think I've ever seen. A strip of a "foam" like, light brown, think was right under where my car had been parked.

We took two photos and printed them out. On the way home I parked the car in my mechanic's lot and left the keys and the photos in his key box.

Meanwhile I find, in my driveway, a couple of small evidence that something's leaking. I checked the oil and the trans. both appear to have adequate fluid, although I found the dip stick for the trans was not all the way in position.

Temp is the right place. Everything seems to work properly. Strange. Hopefully by this time tomorrow the puzzle will be solved.

ron ll
12-26-2015, 11:27 AM
Foam like light brown sounds like coolant being whipped into the crankcase oil maybe due to a failed head gasket. As it foams in can increase in volume and maybe get pushed out the dipstick tube. Good luck, report back.

oznabrag
12-26-2015, 11:40 AM
Foam like light brown sounds like coolant being whipped into the crankcase oil maybe due to a failed head gasket. As it foams in can increase in volume and maybe get pushed out the dipstick tube. Good luck, report back.

My thoughts, too, at first.

Then he says 'light brown foam-like thing'. Actually, he said 'think', but . . .

What the heck?

Also, he checked oil and tranny. If he had a milkshake motor, you'd think he'd notice.

Same for tranny. You'd think he'd notice.

John Smith
12-26-2015, 01:04 PM
Hopefully I'll know later today. This was not just a 'spot' this was a good foot wide and a good 8' long. Car drives fine. At least around town. Temp gauge reads where it normally does. No lights are on. No odd smells.

I do have, I think I said, a couple of stains on my driveway, but they are pretty small.

It is being checked out today. I will be happy to let you all know.

I would add that a couple of neighbors stopped by and inquired, "What the hell is that?" referring to the driveway 'stain'

oznabrag
12-26-2015, 01:11 PM
Hopefully I'll know later today. This was not just a 'spot' this was a good foot wide and a good 8' long. Car drives fine. At least around town. Temp gauge reads where it normally does. No lights are on. No odd smells.

I do have, I think I said, a couple of stains on my driveway, but they are pretty small.

It is being checked out today. I will be happy to let you all know.

I would add that a couple of neighbors stopped by and inquired, "What the hell is that?" referring to the driveway 'stain'

Did someone else park in your daughter's driveway, and she just noticed the stain after you left?

John Smith
12-26-2015, 02:59 PM
I parked there during the day Christmas eve until after dark. This thing was noticed in the daylight Christmas morning. No one else had parked there. Driveway is a SLIGHT incline. It is possible this has nothing to do with my car, but I'm having the car checked.

This thing, which when I get the photos back I'll scan and post here, would take, I'd think, at least a half gallon of something. It did rain. Maybe something else was there, who knows what, and when the water reached it.......

Car seems fine. Temp is what it always reads. Tach shows it drops to it's normal 2000 rpm once it reaches a steady speed. Wife reminds me we've smelled burning oil a couple of times recently, but not very strong, and only for moments, indicating it was a car next to us.

This is a weird 8 foot long something, which would take, I'd think, a considerable amount of something to have leaked, and.....well, hopefully we'll know soon.

Canoeyawl
12-26-2015, 03:02 PM
Someone stashed the fruitcake under your car?

ron ll
12-26-2015, 03:05 PM
Someone throw a water balloon with something other than water?

oznabrag
12-26-2015, 03:13 PM
I parked there during the day Christmas eve until after dark. This thing was noticed in the daylight Christmas morning. No one else had parked there. Driveway is a SLIGHT incline. It is possible this has nothing to do with my car, but I'm having the car checked.

This thing, which when I get the photos back I'll scan and post here, would take, I'd think, at least a half gallon of something. It did rain. Maybe something else was there, who knows what, and when the water reached it.......

Car seems fine. Temp is what it always reads. Tach shows it drops to it's normal 2000 rpm once it reaches a steady speed. Wife reminds me we've smelled burning oil a couple of times recently, but not very strong, and only for moments, indicating it was a car next to us.

This is a weird 8 foot long something, which would take, I'd think, a considerable amount of something to have leaked, and.....well, hopefully we'll know soon.

Hmmm...

hokiefan
12-26-2015, 03:28 PM
My first thought is blown head gasket mixing coolant and oil. Hope not, that will be very expensive.

Bobby

Peerie Maa
12-26-2015, 03:37 PM
My first thought is blown head gasket mixing coolant and oil. Hope not, that will be very expensive.

Bobby
Easy to check, just look in and at the oil filler cap.

the_gr8t_waldo
12-26-2015, 04:01 PM
Could be something that you "picked up" or snaged while in transit.

oznabrag
12-26-2015, 04:28 PM
V6 engine? Intake maifold gasket.

Hey there, Seņor de Tulsa.

Did I tell you that your new avatar is the bee's knee's?

Bobby of Tulsa
12-26-2015, 04:36 PM
Howdy my Texas Friend, Not as cool as the tea cup thing. Hope things are good in your world.

John Smith
12-27-2015, 10:18 AM
Spoke to mechanic. Car lost a LOT of oil. Needs new pan.

He can't get parts till tomorrow. I will have to ask why no dash light came on.

I did say dipstick came up with oil, but guess that was just residue.

Tom Wilkinson
12-27-2015, 10:26 AM
If you didn't lose oil pressure you won't get a dash light. Very few cars have a light for oil level.

SMARTINSEN
12-27-2015, 11:22 AM
Rusted oilpan...let me guess, this is a Ford.

StevenBauer
12-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Oil and coolant mix says Nissan to me.

Steven

Phil Y
12-27-2015, 03:25 PM
I was thinking one of Santas reindeer ate too much and has a bit of a tummy problem

John Smith
12-29-2015, 02:10 PM
Here's a photo. This was about 8' long and a foot wide. http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t316/jdanton/oil%20spill_zpsm3ur7otr.jpg (http://s163.photobucket.com/user/jdanton/media/oil%20spill_zpsm3ur7otr.jpg.html)

Peerie Maa
12-29-2015, 02:13 PM
Here's a photo. This was about 8' long and a foot wide. http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t316/jdanton/oil%20spill_zpsm3ur7otr.jpg (http://s163.photobucket.com/user/jdanton/media/oil%20spill_zpsm3ur7otr.jpg.html)
Certainly looks like an oil water emulsion.

John Smith
12-29-2015, 02:58 PM
That seems to be what it was, but it was a new sight to me, and the others who saw it.

Made the day interesting.

hokiefan
12-29-2015, 03:10 PM
That seems to be what it was, but it was a new sight to me, and the others who saw it.

Made the day interesting.

So has your mechanic said how the water got in the oil, or vice versa?

bob winter
12-29-2015, 03:13 PM
Water in the oil doesn't sound like a good thing. Cracked block or blown head gasket?

Dan McCosh
12-29-2015, 04:17 PM
That's airport runway foam. Probably the wrong address.

John Smith
12-29-2015, 06:58 PM
So has your mechanic said how the water got in the oil, or vice versa?

Apparently it was oil and rain. I've seen oil and we driveways; never saw this reaction.

ron ll
12-29-2015, 08:23 PM
Apparently it was oil and rain. I've seen oil and we driveways; never saw this reaction.

Nor have I. I wonder if there was a sealer on the driveway or something that it reacted with.

Canoeyawl
12-29-2015, 09:26 PM
All of the "modern" motor oils will emulsify water right out of the air.

I once used motor oil on the ways of my lathe in an unheated shop and the ways looked just like that the next morning...
Ugly.

Keith Wilson
12-29-2015, 10:35 PM
Apparently it was oil and rain.Good That's a lot cheaper to fix than the alternatives.

John Smith
12-30-2015, 08:33 AM
Nor have I. I wonder if there was a sealer on the driveway or something that it reacted with.

Lots of cars are leaking some form of oil. Check out any parking lot. They all get rained on. But I've never seen this reaction.

Daughter is planning a resurfacing of her driveway this spring anyway. She'll try to remember to ask the people who do it if they know why this happened.

Car is fixed. Guy says all I have now, after thorough look over, is a few expected seeps from aging gaskets, but nothing that should need work for a while. A while is all I expect to be driving.

What is fun, and reminds me of days I miss is I drive my Taurus. Now I drive the Fit my granddaughter has once in a while, and they are so different it's fun. Used to drive so many different cars during any given month. Miss those days.