• Show
Clear All
  • Tom Montgomery
    Lurking since 1997
    • Sep 1999

A Holiday Season Miracle

Amazing:
    New Jersey man loses wedding ring in ocean, but recovers it six days later

BY DAVID BOROFF, NEW YORK DAILY NEWS, Friday, December 25, 2015, 12:13 PM.

Call him lord of the ring.

A New Jersey newlywed lost his wedding band in the ocean earlier this month, but miraculously recovered it six days later.

Jay Bradford of Point Pleasant dropped his ring into the ocean as he was working on friend Nick Barsa's charter boat.

He texted his wife the bad news. They had just tied the knot six months ago.

"I initially thought he was joking," wife Meagan told the Daily News on Friday.

"My hand hit the bow rail and the ring came up off my knuckle," Bradford told the Asbury Park Press, which first reported the story. "The ring slid off, hit the tow rail and went into the water."

When they returned to the dock, Jay Bradford and Barsa used GPS to mark the spot where the ring was.

He then told his wife his plan to get the ring back.

"Jay called me and said should we call a diver," Meagan said, "and I thought we will have a really good story to tell or we will be back at square one."

"People thought I was crazy to try and go back for it," Barsa told the Asbury Park Press. "The odds are against finding it. It's a big ocean out there."

Diver Mark Thompson had to wait six days to make his attempt because of poor weather, Meagan Bradford said. The ring was located a couple of miles off Long Branch, N.J., in approximately 30 feet of water.

Thompson, a friend of Barsa's, said it was a "50-50" shot, according to Meagan. But she wasn't quite so confident. "I was trying to stay positive," she said.

After approximately 10 minutes of being in the water, Thompson found the ring after Barsa put the boat "right on the mark."

"I went down and swam in a radius. I followed my popcorn trail and recovered the metal washers and then I saw the ring was resting on a rock," Thompson told the Asbury Park Press.

"I nicknamed Nick 'Capt. St. Nicholas,' for this time of year because these two did perform a Christmas miracle for us to have that ring back," Meagan told the paper.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2476841
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 12-25-2015, 05:23 PM.
    "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.
  • bobbys
    • Jun 2009

Re: A Holiday Season Miracle

Ocean is loaded with jersey whitefish there.

Comment

Working...