PDA

View Full Version : Worried about being banned on this forum?

Rum_Pirate
12-23-2015, 02:29 PM
If you are worried about being banned on this forum or the level of your responses try this :

Type in your phrase or word and press 'check'

https://labs.foxtype.com/politeness

S.V. Airlie
12-23-2015, 02:33 PM
I've been banned calling a formite a ______. The word I used IS in the dictionary. I was banned because it was directed to a specific member.

If I had typed, you're just like a _____________. I wouldn't have been.

Rum_Pirate
12-23-2015, 02:35 PM
I've been banned calling a formite a ______. The word I used IS in the dictionary. I was banned because it was directed to a specific member.

If I had typed, you're just like a _____________. I wouldn't have been.

But was/is that formite a ______ ? :D

skuthorp
There are circumstances where I would do the same SV. Some things are too important to be skirted about for the sake of false 'politeness'. Frankly I decided at about 35 that being tactful with some people was a waste of time and effort.

But always remember, the best insults are those where the subject doesn't realise he's been insulted, but everyone else does.:ycool:

S.V. Airlie
You betcha!:) I suspect HE pushed the button too! If someone responds to my post, I'll know!:)

paulf
12-23-2015, 03:34 PM
What's a _______ ?

skuthorp
12-23-2015, 03:35 PM
Ask Scot.:ycool:

S.V. Airlie
12-23-2015, 03:41 PM
What's a _______ ? I guess you can fill it in as long as it's not directed at a formite. As I wrote, the word I used was in the dictionary and even used here in general terms.

George Jung
12-23-2015, 03:45 PM
I tink I may have found a new candidate for BROTM:

http://journalstar.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/video-of-lincoln-council-speaker-goes-viral-panties-in-a/article_f92fa2f9-e79d-5062-91dc-3cfa45ab1cb1.html

Breakaway
12-23-2015, 04:20 PM
There are circumstances where I would do the same SV. Some things are too important to be skirted about for the sake of false 'politeness'. Frankly I decided at about 35 that being tactful with some people was a waste of time and effort. But always remember, the best insults are those where the subject doesn't realise he's been insulted, but everyone else does.:ycool:

I once asked me ould Irish grandmother what, " blarney," meant. She replied without hesitation: " Tis the ability to tell a mahn go t'hell an' have ' 'im tank ye fer it. "

:)

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

bobbys
12-23-2015, 04:28 PM
I found out one can be booted for just repeating someone or useing a locomotive engine to refer to people..

Criss cross apple sauce.

oznabrag
12-23-2015, 04:45 PM
But was/is that formite a ______ ? :D

My father tells the story of being in boot camp, and the post commander was an old Cavalry General who didn't think much of the New Army.

He thought they were being too soft on the recruits, but orders is orders, after all.

The old man adopted the habit of riding around in full battle gear to the various groups of trainees, and giving them each a little 'pep talk'.

Following one of these motivational speeches, one trainee grumbled 'You ol' SOB.' Whereupon the General wheeled his horse and drew down on the man's head with his sabre saying 'I heard that, soldier. You're up for insubordination!'

Well, our loose-lipped friend was appointed the Chaplain to be his defense, and on into court they went.

It seemed to be open and shut until the Chaplain called the drill sergeant, and asked, " Sergeant, did you hear the defendant say 'You ol' SOB?'"

'Yes, Padre, I did.'

'Was the defendant looking at the General, or indicating the object of his remark in any way?'

'Well. . . No sir, he was not.'

'Then tell me Sergeant, how could you tell that the remark was intended for the General?'

'Well sir, 'cause he was the only Ol' SOB around.'

Case dismissed!

S.V. Airlie
12-23-2015, 04:50 PM
I used to stamp papers my students submitted with a stamp that said "BS!" *I had complaints from a few parents and was called into the headmaster's office. Yes, I was put on the carpet until I told him, the BS meant.

BE SPECIFIC! Didn't say another word!

Willin'
12-23-2015, 06:33 PM
I rarely let myself get so wound up that I let my posts venture into the nether regions of acceptability, but on at least 2 occasions other forumites have PMd me warning that I might have crossed a line and may suffer at the hand of Scot if I'm not careful. That's my standard.

One I left standing, one I added a parental guidance warning to.

Still here, no time outs.

My guess is alcohol causes more time outs than anything else.

skuthorp
12-23-2015, 07:03 PM
Regardless of forum rules there are also personal standards involved. If there's a conflict it's up to the poster to decide whether to go away, or take the risk.

Tom Montgomery
12-23-2015, 07:04 PM
According to Rum_Pirate's link, the sentence that I posted that resulted in my last banishment is considered to be "polite" by 86% Drop the adjective and my sentence is considered to be polite by 92%

Go figger. I was banned for 6 months. Scot has his own rules.

Paul Pless
12-23-2015, 08:26 PM
Worried about being banned from the WBF? Shirley you jest. .

S.V. Airlie
12-23-2015, 08:29 PM
Worried about being banned from the WBF? Shirley you jest. .I'm not but, at times it's difficult with the changing parameters

cathouse willy
12-23-2015, 09:05 PM
You betcha!:) I suspect HE pushed the button too! If someone responds to my post, I'll know!:)
James The only time I've been banned was after an exchange of rude remarks between you and I. We had a bit of a snarling match and we both got shown the door, you got the longer sentence why I don't know but I did NOT push any buttons. Just so you know

S.V. Airlie
12-23-2015, 09:10 PM
Thanks for telling me, I don't recall having that many conversations with you but, if that's what happened okay. Personally, I think it was another person who pushed the button. One who is very likely to do so.