PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Getaway

Arizona Bay
12-22-2015, 10:55 PM
We already have one of the lowest per student spending, teacher salary, and one of highest student per teacher ratios in the country. Now we're going for stupid.

AZ lawmaker who believes Earth 6,000 years old leads education panel

(Video at the link) http://www.12news.com/story/news/2015/12/21/arizona-legislator-who-believes-earth-6000-year-old-leads-education-committee/77715744/

An Arizona lawmaker who believes the Earth is 6,000 years old is the new chairwoman of the state Senate committee that oversees education-related legislation.

Republican Sen. Sylvia Allen of Snowflake has a gift for going viral with statements that would be edited out of most school textbooks:

- Buying into conspiracy theories surrounding "chemtrails" (https://www.facebook.com/sylvia.t.allen/posts/622863927737785?fref=nf) -- exhaust from aircraft -- and suggesting the government is manipulating the weather.

- Sharing her opinion that church attendance should be mandatory (http://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2015/03/26/nostalgia-but-no-apologies-senator-sylvia-allen-explains-church-law-comment/), during a legislative debate on whether concealed weapons should be allowed in public buildings (she voted for the bill).

- Declaring the Earth "has been here 6,000 years (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtzJhTfQiMA)," during a debate over allowing access to public lands for mining and other purposes.

Senate President Andy Biggs on Monday named Allen to lead a committee that acts as a gatekeeper for education-related legislation, such as Common Core and spending. Allen succeeds Sen. Kelli Ward, who resigned last week to run full-time in next year's GOP primary against Sen. John. McCain.

"She understands what Arizona students and parents need in our education system," Biggs said in a prepared statement. "She is a very experienced legislator and I know she will do a wonderful job."

Allen said her goal is "to highlight the incredible teachers who are the reason for our children's success. I also want to focus on parents' responsibility in their children's education."

CWSmith
12-22-2015, 11:12 PM
You have my condolences. Never let anyone tell you that stupid is not contagious and then appoint someone like that to have input into education.

Steve McMahon
12-22-2015, 11:16 PM
Geeze, any fool can look up and see them airplanes spewing chemtrails all over the sky!

elf
12-22-2015, 11:33 PM
Fearful people do stupid things.

Arizona Bay
12-22-2015, 11:35 PM
The schools are bad here, it's a Republican state, and unless you're a republican and a "Christian", your voice is ignored.

The schools give me the impression that there set up in such a way as to prepare kids for prison (one of the major employers in our region). My 17 y.o. ohana daughter (a bright creative, thoughtful kid, who once got straight a's in one of the advanced schools back east) dropped out this past year, partially because she couldn't adapt to their way of stifling creativity, inquiry, and some bullying for not being "Christian". Unless we move soon, she's going for a GED and then onto some higher education.

CWSmith
12-22-2015, 11:37 PM
Fearful people do stupid things.

When did we become so fearful? I'm 60, so I wasn't there, but our attitude toward Hitler isn't portrayed as fearful. I am old enough to remember when we listened to scientists who studied the problems and developed solutions. Now we disregard them. Wed got chicken and stupid very fast.

Arizona Bay
12-22-2015, 11:47 PM
Slowly, over the last couple of decades. Thanks to 24 hr a day propaganda broadcasts, developed by pros who know human psychology, and how to manipulate it... for a price.

ron ll
12-23-2015, 12:15 AM
Slowly, over the last couple of decades. Thanks to 24 hr a day propaganda broadcasts, developed by pros who know human psychology, and how to manipulate it... for a price.

I think you nutshelled it quite well. We need the fifth estate, but we need to figure out a balance somehow. I certainly don't want to muzzle them but we need to figure out how to encourage them to better standards.

Jim Mahan
12-23-2015, 09:06 AM
We should reward them, the fifth estate, for talking to us as responsible adults. Then we fake it til we make it. We'll know it's working when we believe that a majority of us would rather have that, than the clamoring after some circus act twenty-four-seven. We need to figure out how to make a profit by creating an intelligent, informed and involved population of responsible citizens.

CWSmith
12-23-2015, 09:40 AM
I do believe there is a branch of the "news" industry that has an agenda, but the local nightly news anchors are morons! I can't believe how shallow they are. Cronkite must be spinning in his grave.

Too Little Time
12-23-2015, 10:14 AM
The schools are bad here, it's a Republican state, and unless you're a republican and a "Christian", your voice is ignored.

My 17 y.o. ohana daughter (a bright creative, thoughtful kid, who once got straight a's in one of the advanced schools back east) dropped out this past year, partially because she couldn't adapt to their way of stifling creativity, inquiry, and some bullying for not being "Christian". Unless we move soon, she's going for a GED and then onto some higher education.

There is no need for a GED. Many of the better colleges do not require a degree. Certainly, if she made comments about the local schools on her application, she would get better consideration.

Arizona Bay
12-23-2015, 10:23 AM
Without a decent educational system which teaches critical thinking skills, no one will demand better.

I feel we're at a tipping point, do we shift now, and start to get or sh#t together, or does it need to get much worse, before it changes? We'll see.

Arizona Bay
12-23-2015, 10:29 AM
There is no need for a GED. Many of the better colleges do not require a degree. Certainly, if she made comments about the local schools on her application, she would get better consideration.

This true, however, she does know she needs some further education in some areas, before she can function at college levels. A bit of structure is a good thing.

S.V. Airlie
12-23-2015, 10:41 AM
UUM, let's start from the beginning, she's from Snowflake, Arizona!

Arizona Bay
12-23-2015, 11:01 AM
Yep, it was founded by Mormons, a Mr Snow and Mr Flake. There's a Flake in the Senate, now.

S.V. Airlie
12-23-2015, 11:05 AM
Don't know the history of the town which would explain the reason for the name. Without knowing it, it comes out, well, funny.\

But, I guess she has the right credentials to satisfy the legislature!