PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a referral for a shipwright in PNW Lower Columbia River

Mercator30
12-22-2015, 02:57 PM
Had quite a windstorm yesterday that blew up the Columbia River from the NW direction. My Carvel planked 45 ft cutter tore the stern cleats out of the dock and then proceeded to break free, slamming up against a free standing pier pole before ramming up against a floating boat shed. Obvious damage to the bowsprit was bent forward oriented SS frame members and tearing the lower support mount for it from the stem taking a chunk of the stem with it near the waterline. Planking appears to be intact, not taking on any water, but the unseen damage remains to be "seen". The boat also took a hit from the pier post on the starboard side with the brunt of the hit breaking a section of the toe rail and the teak cap. Also some scraping and discoloring on the stern starboard section of the boat where it must of taken a second hit on that pier post. No damage yet assessed but the frames definitely need a looking at.

So I need to locate a shipwright quickly that can visit this boat at its mooring in the Longview Washington area and can repair the damage to the high level of workmanship she was built with.

Can't imagine a better referral group than all you folks on this forum. Know of anyone that really knows Carvel planked boats in my area that wants some work? This is an insurance claim.

Thanks all...

Mercator30
12-24-2015, 12:01 AM
Thank you Yeadon. Have made contact with several local shipwrights including Dave at firehouseboatworks.

Hugh MacD
12-24-2015, 06:42 PM
Steve has sold Schooner Creek, but my understanding is that the old crew is there and he's staying on for a year during transition. They're expensive, but from what I've seen the quality is always there.