PDA

View Full Version : How to fill YOUR 2-car garage

David G
12-20-2015, 12:02 PM
Imagine a circumstance when you had to replace your family's two vehicles with new. Not used. And you had a budget. Now... I know our own personal driving habits, needs, and tastes will differ - so how would YOU spend your budget? For now... let's say your budget is $45,000. You don't have to spend it all, but you can't go over.

I'll start.

Truck - Chevy Colorado
Car - Honda Fit

That's pretty much the setup we have, though the current truck is a Toyota Tundra. More truck than I really need, though. My sweetie walks to work or rides mass transit half the time... so I'd drive the Fit whenever I could, in the interests of gas mileage. And the Fit is a lot of fun to drive, and amazingly capacious.

How about you?

Too Little Time
12-20-2015, 12:22 PM
I have 3 cars that seem to serve different purposes. I would not buy 2 new cars to replace them. I would not even buy 1 new car. I would certainly not pay $45K.

The most important issue is that my wife will decide what vehicle to buy, and I will find a way to live with it.

Canoeyawl
12-20-2015, 01:21 PM
Buying new cars...

What other way to lose 30% of your principal in 5 Minutes?

(buy it, drive it out the door and try to sell it)

Captain Intrepid
12-20-2015, 01:48 PM
I'll pass. I'll use the 45k to buy transit passes for the next couple decades, taxis when they're needed, and truck rentals for the scant times in a year a truck is actually needed by someone who doesn't use one for their job.

Reynard38
12-20-2015, 02:59 PM
$45k for 2 new cars?
Nothing I'd be caught dead in.
Used cars? Yes, quite a few.

Todd D
12-20-2015, 06:59 PM
Subaru Forester for my significant other and a basic 4WD 3/4 ton truck with an 8 foot bed and an 8 foot V-plow for me. I need the truck to push the plow and I need the plow to keep my 1/4 mile driveway clear in the winter. No way I could get away for $45K though. Our vehicle purchases are staggered with one new vehicle every 8-9 years. Just replaced our '98 sube with a new one. Next new vehicle in about 2023/24 when I replace the '09 truck.

S.V. Airlie
12-20-2015, 07:04 PM
Don't have a garage. Makes it easy, My Sube has just hit 14K in about 3 yrs. No public transport I want to use. Ambulance is out!

Rich Jones
12-20-2015, 08:48 PM
Cars in a garage? What a silly concept! I'd spend the 45k on two wooden boats and put them in there.:D

Figment
12-21-2015, 10:45 AM
$45k for 2 new cars?
Nothing I'd be caught dead in.
Used cars? Yes, quite a few.

Agreed, the "new" is a nonstarter.

anything I'm going to have my wife and kids riding around in is going to be $35k new, probably closer to 45k.

I'll buy used quality over new crap any day.

Gerarddm
12-21-2015, 10:56 AM
Garage = shop. $45k = the tools of my dreams.

Norman Bernstein
12-21-2015, 10:59 AM
Buying new cars...

What other way to lose 30% of your principal in 5 Minutes?

(buy it, drive it out the door and try to sell it)

I will confess that I always buy new cars.

Your economic analysis isn't wrong... it's just that it really doesn't apply, if you keep the car for a very long time and drive it until it dies at the side of the road.

One very key criteria for me is reliability; I hate the inconvenience of having to have repairs done. Admittedly, it's a bit easier these days; for example, my local Honda dealer has a "no-appointment, just drive it in" service bay, which, if you go there at 7AM on a Saturday or Sunday, means that your car will immediately be worked on, and you can relax in the lounge with free coffee and wi-fi until it's done.

However, one virtue of a brand new car is that it is reasonable to expect at least 60-70K miles of driving with NO service, other than periodic oil changes (which can be done in ten minutes at Valvoline). Prior to 60K-70K miles, most new cars simply don't need any service.

After that point, even for a very reliable car, some service will be needed. For example, I needed tires and brakes at around 60K miles on my 2013 Accord.... and, unfortunately, I needed a new alternator, a few thousand miles after that. Now, I'm into the 'zone' where there will be occasional (hopefully rare) breakdowns or required repairs and service, so my 'free' 60K miles are over... but since I will likely keep driving the car until perhaps 150K miles, the cost difference between a new, and a used car, will have pretty much faded.

Now, there are many folks who will keep repairing a car well beyond 150K miles.... I have a friend with a Prius, bought in the very first model year for that hybrid, which has over 230K miles on it, and he intends to keep driving it for many more....

....however, there's no question that he'll need to keep repairing the car periodically, and suffering the inconvenience of those repair appointments, until the end. I just don't want to put up with that, and fortunately don't have to.

It's a choice... everyone is different.