PDA

View Full Version : Democratic Debate

CWSmith
12-19-2015, 09:27 PM
Clinton's experience is showing to her advantage.

O'Malley is not making points. He's trying to separate himself and not to his advantage.

Glen Longino
12-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Yep

CWSmith
12-19-2015, 09:36 PM
Are the interviewers annoying you, or just me?

Sky Blue
12-19-2015, 09:41 PM
So far it is tax and spend and more free stuff, the government will provide 13 million new jobs, built on class warfare.

All with the Republicans in control of Congress right now. Basically just unfeasible dishonesty so far from these people.

oznabrag
12-19-2015, 09:47 PM
So far it is tax and spend and more free stuff, the government will provide 13 million new jobs, built on class warfare.

All with the Republicans in control of Congress right now. Basically just unfeasible dishonesty so far from these people.

The idiots in the Klown Kar have been making so much noise that reasonable people are going actually to vote.

mikefrommontana
12-19-2015, 09:48 PM
Martin O'Malley did nice with Bernies talking points against Hillary--or course she laughed it off, but guessing it'll stick.

Sky Blue
12-19-2015, 09:48 PM
Cackle Laugh Alert! When you hear the Cackle Laugh, expect the lies to follow...

Sky Blue
12-19-2015, 09:51 PM
Hillary has "a plan to take on Wall Street?" That's actually her claim? How can honest Democrats even consider this woman?

No wonder the American people do not trust Hillary Clinton. She lies with abandon.

CWSmith
12-19-2015, 09:56 PM
Cackle Laugh Alert! When you hear the Cackle Laugh, expect the lies to follow...

You may be right. She followed it with the "Most of my supporters are small contributions" which tries to obscure the fact that most of her money comes in large amounts. You don't spend supporters. You spend contributions.

oznabrag
12-19-2015, 09:59 PM
I wonder if Bill cringes.

Sky Blue
12-19-2015, 10:01 PM
Say what you will, but there is no doublespeak from Mr. Sanders. He says it and does not mince words. I think most (not all) of his proposals are precisely the wrong remedies for the country, but he comes across as entirely honest and credible as to his beliefs. That his policies are unpopular among many Democrats (if they are honest), speaks precisely to his credibility as a progressive.

Ian McColgin
12-19-2015, 10:04 PM
"Tax and spend." Not like good old Republican spend and spend with tax breaks for the already rich, profits for corrupt arms contractors, and pauperizing the people who actually work.

CWSmith
12-19-2015, 10:07 PM
I wonder if Bill cringes.

Sanders referred to "Diamond Bill Clinton", turned to Hillary and said "Maybe you know him.". It was a hoot!

I just had to repeat this. They interrupt the speaker when responding to a comment to summarize that comment (his way).

Glen Longino
12-19-2015, 10:16 PM

Me too, the bastids!

Sky Blue
12-19-2015, 10:16 PM
Hillary now talks of reforming the laws and bills she presented as reform while her husband was President. There is no reason for her Presidency.

coelacanth2
12-19-2015, 10:25 PM
"Tax and spend." Not like good old Republican spend and spend with tax breaks for the already rich, profits for corrupt arms contractors, and pauperizing the people who actually work.

Solyndra we much?

Forget we not Fisker

CWSmith
12-19-2015, 10:34 PM
Clinton just said the right foreign policy is (1) to work with the local strong man to our benefit, and (2) try to work for regime change.

Boy, is that the wrong answer!!!

Rich Jones
12-19-2015, 10:57 PM
At least these candidates talk realistically, not telling people that they'll make the sand glow or ban all Muslims from the country. Sanders is a very straight talker, but will never be President. O'Malley is a joke. Hillary is a formidable opponent not only to them, but will mop the floor in any debate with any Republican when the voters see them side by side, she talking from experience, them talking out of their a$$.

CWSmith
12-19-2015, 10:59 PM
^ Clinton performed well, but I doubt she'll go after Wall Street and the big banks. That worries me.

Glen Longino
12-19-2015, 11:14 PM
At least these candidates talk realistically, not telling people that they'll make the sand glow or ban all Muslims from the country. Sanders is a very straight talker, but will never be President. O'Malley is a joke. Hillary is a formidable opponent not only to them, but will mop the floor in any debate with any Republican when the voters see them side by side, she talking from experience, them talking out of their a$$.

Bingo!
And speaking of "them talking out of their a$$", how about that Sky Blue?
He seems so desperate to convince himself that Hillary will not be His POTUS!:)
I actually enjoyed watching this "debate".
Three sane candidates, any of whom would possibly be a suitable POTUS, as opposed to the dozen Rep candidates, none of whom I would trust in a used car lot.

RonW
12-20-2015, 12:10 AM
What a shameful, disgusting, embarrassing display of totally out of touch, unrealistic lip service.
No doubt about it,a political theater for the low information emotional voters.
No wonder the DNC is hiding and limiting the debates.
And Bernie was stupid enough to apologize for the DNC pulling dirty krapt.

RonW
12-20-2015, 12:15 AM
https://youtu.be/e3hB3iOQKjY

Glen Longino
12-20-2015, 12:21 AM
What a shameful, disgusting, embarrassing display of totally out of touch, unrealistic lip service.
No doubt about it,a political theater for the low information emotional voters.
No wonder the DNC is hiding and limiting the debates.
And Bernie was stupid enough to apologize for the DNC pulling dirty krapt.

Your desperation is showing!:D
The more scared you become of Hillary, the more wild-eyed you get!:)

RonW
12-20-2015, 12:24 AM
https://youtu.be/rEnDY49mSjI

Glen Longino
12-20-2015, 12:33 AM
:)Run, Ron, Run...Hillary is coming to get you!:D

Gerarddm
12-20-2015, 01:00 AM
There is no plausible reason for O'Malley to be there. To use a concept from the sales business, he does not have a Unique Selling Proposition. He also comes across as polished as Rubio, which I do not intend as a compliment. Nice enough guy I suppose, but...

Bernie did OK but needs to sound more together on national security issues. Hillary's high point for me was ending with " may the force be with you ". Bernie should have chuckled at that.

CWSmith
12-20-2015, 01:03 AM
There is no plausible reason for O'Malley to be there. To use a concept from the sales business, he does not have a Unique Selling Proposition. He also comes across as polished as Rubio, which I do not intend as a compliment. Nice enough guy I suppose, but...

I think we'll see him drop out fairly early. Polls favor Sanders in NH, but Clinton overall. He didn't help himself tonight. I do think he's a good man.

S.V. Airlie
12-20-2015, 01:23 AM
He might be good for a VP. He's got youth which would be a +.

Gerarddm
12-20-2015, 01:58 AM
^ Actually given his background he would make a decent HUD Secretary. Maybe even an Attorney General.

Glen Longino
12-20-2015, 02:09 AM
He might be good for a VP. He's got youth which would be a +.

Julian Castro might become VP and follow Hillary to the presidency in 2024!
A hat trick in the presidency, an Irishman, a Woman, a Latino!
Explode some Troglodyte minds!:)

Mark O.
12-20-2015, 02:30 AM
I try to separate what they are actually saying from all the annoying mannerisms and such. I think too many people base the election on likability. I'll be the first to admit Hillary makes my skin crawl....but it's not like I am picking a roommate. It's which political ideology I think is best and who can do it. Hillary's "plan" for ISIS was no plan at all. I couldn't believe the lack of specifics coming from her mouth. Her three part plan...1. fight ISIS over there. 2. Fight ISIS here. 3. Keep us safe. If that was a school project it would be an F. Later in the debate she talked about another issue, and how we need to find a better way to (fix the problem). Again, nothing specific. Lots of dramatic voice inflections and forceful "punching" the right words on the delivery, but that doesn't impress me.

oznabrag
12-20-2015, 03:09 AM
Bingo!
And speaking of "them talking out of their a$$", how about that Sky Blue?
He seems so desperate to convince himself that Hillary will not be His POTUS!:)
I actually enjoyed watching this "debate".
Three sane candidates, any of whom would possibly be a suitable POTUS, as opposed to the dozen Rep candidates, none of whom I would trust in a used car lot.

The contrast couldn't be greater, could it, Glen?

slug
12-20-2015, 06:19 AM
I try to separate what they are actually saying from all the annoying mannerisms and such. I think too many people base the election on likability. I'll be the first to admit Hillary makes my skin crawl....but it's not like I am picking a roommate. It's which political ideology I think is best and who can do it. Hillary's "plan" for ISIS was no plan at all. I couldn't believe the lack of specifics coming from her mouth. Her three part plan...1. fight ISIS over there. 2. Fight ISIS here. 3. Keep us safe. If that was a school project it would be an F. Later in the debate she talked about another issue, and how we need to find a better way to (fix the problem). Again, nothing specific. Lots of dramatic voice inflections and forceful "punching" the right words on the delivery, but that doesn't impress me.

Nearly impossible to fix the ISIS , Islamic threat. It is wordwide

Nearly impossible to fix the domestic ISIS threat. it grows before your eyes.

nearly impossible for a candidate to give a good answer with a short soundbite.

i can understand why they sidestep complex questions.

one thing for sure...once elected they better have a good answer.

Obama didnt have any answer because he cant see the problem.

John Smith
12-20-2015, 07:36 AM
Hillary has "a plan to take on Wall Street?" That's actually her claim? How can honest Democrats even consider this woman?

No wonder the American people do not trust Hillary Clinton. She lies with abandon.

Point out some lies, please.

John Smith
12-20-2015, 07:38 AM
Say what you will, but there is no doublespeak from Mr. Sanders. He says it and does not mince words. I think most (not all) of his proposals are precisely the wrong remedies for the country, but he comes across as entirely honest and credible as to his beliefs. That his policies are unpopular among many Democrats (if they are honest), speaks precisely to his credibility as a progressive.

Did you miss the part where he voted to support regime change he now regrets? Have you missed the part where he speaks as if NAFTA began outsourcing.

Do you really see much difference between the two as to what they want to do?

Do you think everyone on Wall Street opposes Wall Street being regulated a bit more?

John Smith
12-20-2015, 07:43 AM
Hillary now talks of reforming the laws and bills she presented as reform while her husband was President. There is no reason for her Presidency.

Sometimes things don't go as planned, and you can look back and see mistakes. Then you can look for ways to fix the mistakes, improve/change things, or you can simply not admit things didn't go as expected.

If you can find it, she gave an very good answer to a questions about NAFTA in '08; how some of it worked and some of it didn't, and how it would be a good idea to re-negotiate it.

Some people here just hate Hillary and it blurs, I think, what they hear and what they think. The Republicans have run investigations on this woman almost constantly since '91, and they keep clearing her. That's something to think about.

John Smith
12-20-2015, 07:44 AM
Solyndra we much?

Forget we not Fisker

As I recall, Solyndra was a small part of a large 'thing'. Solyndra failed. The rest of the 'thing' seems to have worked. Those are pretty good results in total.

John Smith
12-20-2015, 07:50 AM
^ Clinton performed well, but I doubt she'll go after Wall Street and the big banks. That worries me.

Let's see what we know, and what we can figure out. First, what does 'going after' mean? We did get Dodd/Frank which must have some merit if the big banks don't like it.

Personally, I think "big banks" is seen as encompassing all in the banking/insurance/investment industry. Am I naive when I suggest there are some in that industry that support reasonable regulation; that not all oppose all regulation?

Is anything of any nature going to pass the GOP congress. Or even a Democratic majority in the senate if it's not filibuster proof?

Pretty much all of these things discussed have to go through congress.

John Smith
12-20-2015, 07:55 AM

Isn't this true of all candidates in both parties? isn't it on the moderators to push for specifics? Are there specifics on their websites? Can any of them tell us specifically how they would fight ISIS without letting ISIS in on their plans?

Did you notice Sanders managed to bring a lot of this back to his own talking points about income inequality?

John Smith
12-20-2015, 07:57 AM
Here's a thought. The next president takes office in '17. A lot of stuff can change between now and then.

Paul Pless
12-20-2015, 08:07 AM
Here's a thought. Trump takes office in '17. A lot of stuff can change between now and then.ftfy

Bob Adams
12-20-2015, 09:11 AM

Bernie did OK but needs to sound more together on national security issues. Hillary's high point for me was ending with " may the force be with you ". Bernie should have chuckled at that.

He was such a bad lame duck governor the overwhelmingly Democratic Maryland voted in a Republican. Saw this yesterday, a good chuckle:

https://external-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=AQDhomg26AP0hzKl&w=487&h=345&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews. com%2Fjournalstar.com%2Fcontent%2Ftncms%2Fassets%2 Fv3%2Feditorial%2F3%2Fce%2F3cecefd0-3895-561b-bc9c-4846d19eb3b7%2F567312e05f1b1.image.jpg%3Fresize%3D 620%252C440

CWSmith
12-20-2015, 09:57 AM
Personally, I think "big banks" is seen as encompassing all in the banking/insurance/investment industry. Am I naive when I suggest there are some in that industry that support reasonable regulation; that not all oppose all regulation?

Pretty much, yes. These industries are linked today and big companies are swallowing up small companies. They need to be broken up into many more small companies.

On a related note, we need to impose profit limits on the insurance and drug companies. Both have functional monopolies (too few insurance companies in any given region and only one company producing a necessary drug) at the expense of society.

RonW
12-20-2015, 10:51 AM

Wasn't that a jaw dropping revelation of, of what ? Incompetency, that's what. So what did this woman do for 4 years as secretary of state ? Globe hopping, drinking and staying out of Obama's hair is what I have heard. Which is also a failure on Obama's part to provide a competent secretary of state in exchange for favor repayment to the clintons.

And bernie's answer was wages, give everyone a wage increase and they will quit this silly terrorism, and before that it was global warming.
You would think these type of answers would scare the hell out of the democrats, but they don't seem to be concerned, or as of yet realize that between the clintons, Obama, nancy pelosi and dirty hairy the reed they have destroyed the democrat party.

S.V. Airlie
12-20-2015, 10:58 AM
Yup, tell ISIS what their plans are so they can be prepared. The GOP candidates please tell ISIS their plans so they can be prepared. Those would really help spewing them on national TV., they really shouldn't say what they're plans are until they are implemented when the time comes. Forewarned is forearmed

S.V. Airlie
12-20-2015, 11:26 AM
Wait until Cruz or one of the other idiots carpet bomb the middle east. The deaths on Obama's hand will be insignificant. I mean, I find the GOP thinking that deaths in the middle east and by guns in the US are also insignificant generally.

Nicholas Scheuer
12-20-2015, 11:46 AM
Trump and his cohorts in the Clown Car are doing us a favor, with their fans showing us just how undeserving the USA may be of having decent government.

David G
12-20-2015, 11:49 AM
Fact Checkers say the candidates did not fare well. OTOH... they seem to have done far better in that dept. than the R's debates.

CWSmith
12-20-2015, 11:50 AM
^ Nothing subtle about the distinction between Dems and Reps this year.

RonW
12-20-2015, 11:50 AM
Trump and his cohorts in the Clown Car are doing us a favor, with their fans showing us just how undeserving the USA may be of having decent government.

And your answer to a decent government is to elect a incompetent alcoholic to continue the policies of a failed administration.

Mark O.
12-20-2015, 11:53 AM
The plan for ISIS should be to force Muslim countries in that region to lead the action. Saudia Arabia and other rich nations in that region have gotten a free pass to sit back and criticize the West no matter what we do. Even when a westerner kills a Muslim's enemy, he also becomes the enemy of other Muslims if only because we fought on their soil. We could go in and spend years wiping out ISIS at a huge cost of American lives, and it would only breed a new contempt towards us from the next group of radical Muslims...and there WILL be a next group.

S.V. Airlie
12-20-2015, 11:56 AM
As Lincoln said about Grant, if he is a drunkard, send me two WHISKEY) barrels of what he's drinking.(PARAPHRASED.

CWSmith
12-20-2015, 12:10 PM
And your answer to a decent government is to elect a incompetent alcoholic to continue the policies of a failed administration.

What alcoholic?

S.V. Airlie
12-20-2015, 12:14 PM
What alcoholic?He's just spewing, there is no evidence but, no evidence never stops RonW from saying typical BS

George Jung
12-20-2015, 12:26 PM
Yup. He's kinda a 'angry man', isn't he?

Bet he's got a squeegee for his computer screen - spittle everywhere!

S.V. Airlie
12-20-2015, 12:38 PM
http://www.brainyquote.com/photos/g/georgebernardshaw141483.jpg

oznabrag
12-20-2015, 01:59 PM
Nobody is going to carpet bomb anyone.

If the democrats were actually serious about gun control, they would have done something. They had the Oval office, Senate, Congress, and a sympathetic Supreme Court. They didn't follow through with Obama's amnesty promise either. They could have gone after those greedy corporations as promised, but never did.

They had the deck stacked for whatever they wanted.

Meanwhile......... Odumbo kills more civilians than than militants with his heroic drone campaign, while you have no idea what any candidate will do after they get into office.

The Dem's are just as fubared as the Repub's

Ah, yes. The old 'False Equivalence'.

S.V. Airlie
12-20-2015, 02:12 PM
Yup, listen to Cruz. Oh right, he didn't say that!

CWSmith
12-20-2015, 02:15 PM

Odumbo kills more civilians than than militants with his heroic drone campaign, ...

People who cannot make a point without obvious lies and childish slurs do not deserve to be listened to.

RonW
12-20-2015, 02:21 PM
People who cannot make a point without obvious lies and childish slurs do not deserve to be listened to.

Those who refuse to open their eyes and ears to the facts around them, shall remain in the dark and be willfully uninformed.

David G
12-20-2015, 02:22 PM
Nobody is going to carpet bomb anyone.

If the democrats were actually serious about gun control, they would have done something. They had the Oval office, Senate, Congress, and a sympathetic Supreme Court. They didn't follow through with Obama's amnesty promise either. They could have gone after those greedy corporations as promised, but never did.

They had the deck stacked for whatever they wanted.

Meanwhile......... Odumbo kills more civilians than than militants with his heroic drone campaign, while you have no idea what any candidate will do after they get into office.

The Dem's are just as fubared as the Repub's

That, sir, if you actually believe it, is nothing but ignorance speaking. Of course... you may know better. I wouldn't know. You may be cynically and deliberately spreading this lie as a means of invoking a sense of hopelessness among the electorate. Like the best lies... it has a small kernel of truth at the core. But the disinformation mostly serves to depress voter turnout. And... surprise!!! Guess who that benefits.

Ah, yes. The old 'False Equivalence'.

https://www.quora.com/Are-Democrats-and-Republicans-equally-wrong

CWSmith
12-20-2015, 02:23 PM
Those who refuse to open their eyes and ears to the facts around them, shall remain in the dark and be willfully uninformed.

Then I asked you before and I ask you again: What presidential candidate is an alcoholic as you charge?

S.V. Airlie
12-20-2015, 02:26 PM
Those who refuse to open their eyes and ears to the facts around them, shall remain in the dark and be willfully uninformed.You hit the nail on that but, I don't think you wanted this to be about Democrats as it's more fitting to describe the GOP candidates to a "T".

Mark O.
12-20-2015, 02:45 PM
That's a lot to ask of an internet political discussion.:D There is way too much hyperbole on both sides. Guilty here.

Mark O.
12-20-2015, 02:49 PM
...and another thing I can't stand about Hillary.:D
As Bernie was beginning to make a point about some recent study, Hillary is over there nodding her head in agreement before he even gets to the topic of the study. She is Soooo disingenuous. It was early in the debate.

Glen Longino
12-20-2015, 02:51 PM

Yes you shall!:D

CWSmith
12-20-2015, 02:54 PM
That's a lot to ask of an internet political discussion.:D There is way too much hyperbole on both sides. Guilty here.

I think we can and we should.

People behave badly and in a way they would never dare face-to-face. We should expect adults here.

Also, guilty here as well.

David G
12-20-2015, 02:55 PM
...and another thing I can't stand about Hillary.:D
As Bernie was beginning to make a point about some recent study, Hillary is over there nodding her head in agreement before he even gets to the topic of the study. She is Soooo disingenuous. It was early in the debate.

I didn't watch... so I may be misinterpreting. But that sound more like a person who's knowledgeable enough to know where Bernie is headed and happens to agree.

S.V. Airlie
12-20-2015, 02:59 PM

Maybe she knew where Sanders was going with the point,
Maybe she had expected Sanders to make a point on the topic and she either agreed with what he said, or she had a rebuttal. Disingenuous, how?

S.V. Airlie
12-20-2015, 03:04 PM
Help for RonW from Trump with love. Afterall, he knows when he sees one.

epublican presidential candidate Donald Trump on Sunday hit back on Hillary Clinton's claim that Islamic jihadists are using his anti-Muslim rhetoric as a recruiting tool, calling the Democrat a "liar" and a string of other insults.
At the heart of the dispute: Clinton's contention during Saturday night's Democratic debate that Trump is "becoming ISIS' best recruiter."
"They are going to people showing videos of Donald Trump insulting Islam and Muslims in order to recruit more radical jihadists," Clinton said during the televised debate on ABC. "So I want to explain why this is not in America's interest to react with this kind of fear and respond to this sort of bigotry."
While experts say it's likely that Trump's call for a temporary ban on Muslims entering the United States could be used by ISIS, independent fact-checkers have not found evidence of videos as described by Clinton.
"It's nonsense. It's just another Hillary lie," Trump said on NBC's Meet the Press. "She lies like crazy about everything, whether it's trips where she was being gunned down in a helicopter or an airplane, she's a liar and everybody knows that. But she just made this up in thin air."
But, under questioning from Meet the Press host Chuck Todd, Trump said he would not tone down his language, even if he discovered his words were being used in recruitment videos.
"I think that my words represent toughness and strength," he said. "Hillary's not strong, Hillary's weak, frankly. She's got no stamina, she's not nothing."

slug
12-20-2015, 03:22 PM
Help for RonW from Trump with love. Afterall, he knows when he sees one.

epublican presidential candidate Donald Trump on Sunday hit back on Hillary Clinton's claim that Islamic jihadists are using his anti-Muslim rhetoric as a recruiting tool, calling the Democrat a "liar" and a string of other insults.
At the heart of the dispute: Clinton's contention during Saturday night's Democratic debate that Trump is "becoming ISIS' best recruiter."
"They are going to people showing videos of Donald Trump insulting Islam and Muslims in order to recruit more radical jihadists," Clinton said during the televised debate on ABC. "So I want to explain why this is not in America's interest to react with this kind of fear and respond to this sort of bigotry."
While experts say it's likely that Trump's call for a temporary ban on Muslims entering the United States could be used by ISIS, independent fact-checkers have not found evidence of videos as described by Clinton.
"It's nonsense. It's just another Hillary lie," Trump said on NBC's Meet the Press. "She lies like crazy about everything, whether it's trips where she was being gunned down in a helicopter or an airplane, she's a liar and everybody knows that. But she just made this up in thin air."
But, under questioning from Meet the Press host Chuck Todd, Trump said he would not tone down his language, even if he discovered his words were being used in recruitment videos.
"I think that my words represent toughness and strength," he said. "Hillary's not strong, Hillary's weak, frankly. She's got no stamina, she's not nothing."

who cares...

they have been chanting ...Death to America.... for decades.

hey, on the Plus side Bush gets a breather.

Trump did it .............

oznabrag
12-20-2015, 03:36 PM
I didn't watch... so I may be misinterpreting. But that sound more like a person who's knowledgeable enough to know where Bernie is headed and happens to agree.

I bet it is a painful duty for Bill to have to watch this.

S.V. Airlie
12-20-2015, 03:40 PM
For years? In a way, maybe, now there is a better excuse they can latch on to. Those who attack, their religion etc. I think American kids running off to fight with ISIS is quite a recent thing. Lots of people chant about one thing or another but, don't follow through often.

Tom Montgomery
12-20-2015, 08:13 PM
Then I asked you before and I ask you again: What presidential candidate is an alcoholic as you charge?
His light is on but nobody seems to be at home. :rolleyes:

S.V. Airlie
12-20-2015, 08:31 PM
His light is on but nobody seems to be at home. :rolleyes:Spent too much time at Chernobyl without a suit.

Nicholas Scheuer
12-20-2015, 08:35 PM
Hillary's nodding before Sanders even makes his point may merely be Hillary trying to upstage Bernie; she's a pro.

John Smith
12-20-2015, 08:39 PM
Hillary's nodding before Sanders even makes his point may merely be Hillary trying to upstage Bernie; she's a pro.

Maybe she's heard him make this point a few times before.

George Jung
12-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Hillary sure pi$$es a lot of folks off!

Great, ain't it?

S.V. Airlie
12-20-2015, 08:53 PM
It's funny!