PDA

View Full Version : Russian fleet, 25 years on.

Jim Bow
12-19-2015, 06:15 PM
Wonder how the rest of the world's navies compare.

http://i.imgur.com/j0eRoln.jpg

paulf
12-19-2015, 06:23 PM
Their MIC must be POed.

Willin'
12-19-2015, 06:30 PM
Makes ya kinda wonder where and how all that old nuclear fuel is being stored. Finding out might be instructive to our current right wing nuc power hawks, since our domestic storage situation seems to have been forgotten.

skuthorp
12-19-2015, 06:37 PM
Wiki says
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decommissioning_of_Russian_nuclear-powered_vessels

Willin'
12-19-2015, 06:46 PM
Ahhh! From Wiki...

A Russian government report acknowledged in March 1993, that "during the period of 1965 to 1988 the Northern Fleet had dumped four reactor compartments with eight reactors (three containing damaged fuel) in the Abrosimov Gulf in 20 to 40 meters of water."[3] Six other compartments, containing nine reactors in all, had also been dumped into the water in the 1960s and 1970s.[3]

Submarines[edit]

No problem.

seanz
12-19-2015, 06:50 PM
Their MIC must be POed.

It was run by the state. Many think that this is the way things should be done...

paulf
12-19-2015, 07:03 PM
Makes ya kinda wonder where and how all that old nuclear fuel is being stored. Finding out might be instructive to our current right wing nuc power hawks, since our domestic storage situation seems to have been forgotten.

I worked on environmental issues related to this for the DOE...you don't want to know.

Michael D. Storey
12-19-2015, 07:13 PM
About 25 years ago it was not the Russian fleet, it was the Russian sailors who were in town. It was the Columbus Cup, here in Baltimore. I think that it was swan 44's, which came from around the country. My old friend, the yachtsman from Rochester, a kinda guy who started course races in B fleet and win, but manage to sail through A fleet, which left a half hour earlier, brought his down for the regatta.
Well, there were crews from all over. The oddest two crews were the Japanese and the Russians. Japanese would not do anything until everyone agreed. Did not make for success in a tacking duel. The other odd sorts were the Rooskies. They were the opposite. They did not even tell the other members of their crew what they were doing. It was a boat of racers, all with a different agenda. They don't hold the Columbus Cup like that any more.

epoxyboy
12-19-2015, 09:33 PM
Makes ya kinda wonder too, how many of those vessels were actually combat ready, back in 1995.

Pete

CWSmith
12-19-2015, 09:42 PM

Aside from dumping it in the ocean, which is an obscene act, this is a question we should be very worried about. My wife read that ISIS is making $2M/day. That buys a lot of bad stuff on the black market.

oznabrag
12-19-2015, 09:44 PM
It was run by the state. Many think that this is the way things should be done...

I could work with that.

We need to get the prisons back under state control, first.

Gerarddm
12-20-2015, 02:02 AM
A startling graphic. Especially with the price of oil as it is, I don't think Putin has enough money to revitalize the navy. He will concentrate on the army and air forces. But even for them he can't afford to go whole hog. I hope to hell his missile forces are under control.