PDA

View Full Version : Hoaxes and false stories sell better than the truth

Norman Bernstein
12-19-2015, 02:47 PM
I suppose we all knew that, instinctively.... but a person who ran a hoax-debunking website has given up... and she enumerates the reasons very clearly.

The most susceptible people? Middle-aged conservatives.... who woulda thunk it? :)

Since early 2014 (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2014/08/19/facebook-satire-tag-could-wipe-out-the-internets-terrible-hoax-news-industry/), a series of Internet entrepreneurs have realized that not much drives traffic as effectively as stories that vindicate and/or inflame the biases of their readers. Where many once wrote celebrity death hoaxes or “satires,” they now run entire, successful websites that do nothing but troll convenient minorities or exploit gross stereotypes. Paul Horner, the proprietor of Nbc.com.co and a string of other very profitable fake-news sites, once told me he specifically tries to invent stories that will provoke strong reactions in middle-aged conservatives. They share a lot on Facebook, he explained; they’re the ideal audience.

Walter Quattrociocchi, the head of the Laboratory of Computational Social Science at IMT Lucca in Italy, has spent several years studying how conspiracy theories and misinformation spread online, and he confirmed some of my fears: Essentially, he explained, institutional distrust is so high right now, and cognitive bias so strong always, that the people who fall for hoax news stories are frequently only interested in consuming information that conforms with their views — even when it’s demonstrably fake.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/12/18/what-was-fake-on-the-internet-this-week-why-this-is-the-final-column/

skuthorp
12-19-2015, 02:49 PM
Huh, purveyors of religion realised that probably millions of years ago. "There's a sucker born every minute"

Michael D. Storey
12-19-2015, 02:59 PM
Salem witch Trials

oznabrag
12-19-2015, 03:57 PM
Here's hoping it's satire. . . that belief is demonstrably false, though.

S.V. Airlie
12-19-2015, 04:12 PM
Just don't talk to the readers of the National Enquirer.

skuthorp
12-19-2015, 05:12 PM
Or those that actually believe what a politician says.

PeterSibley
12-19-2015, 05:52 PM
Next you're going to tell me Obama isn't a Kenyan Muslim eh ??

S.V. Airlie
12-19-2015, 05:55 PM
Next you're going to tell me Obama isn't a Kenyan Muslim eh ??Many still do, whatdeoyamean?

Daniel Noyes
12-19-2015, 05:57 PM
Salem witch Trials

Rolling Stone UVA frat story...
witch trials, as relevant today as 300 years ago!

seanz
12-19-2015, 05:58 PM
This way to the Egress.

Jim Bow
12-19-2015, 06:02 PM
Miracle cures! Miracle weight loss! Miracle hair growth! Miraculous erections! Investment opportunities! Stuff envelopes, earn $3000 a week!

Daniel Noyes
12-19-2015, 06:10 PM
Stephen Glass, for The New Republic!

skuthorp
12-19-2015, 06:31 PM
I prefer Phillip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Stu7h7Qup8

Daniel Noyes
12-19-2015, 07:06 PM
I suppose we all knew that, instinctively.... but a person who ran a hoax-debunking website has given up... and she enumerates the reasons very clearly.

The most susceptible people? Middle-aged conservatives.... who woulda thunk it? :)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/12/18/what-was-fake-on-the-internet-this-week-why-this-is-the-final-column/

WOW they got you, hook line and sinker!

It was the part about "Middle-aged conservatives" wasnt' it? just what you were looking to hear :)
turns out this was a made up story,
the real headline "Bildge Rats are the easy target, they'll eat anything"

Sky Blue
12-19-2015, 09:32 PM
It is quite odd, I guess, but except for incidences on this Forum, which incidences occur almost daily, I have never heard anyone refer to Mr. Obama as either a Kenyan or a Muslim. Perhaps this is one of the "false truths" that has been sold?

ccmanuals
12-19-2015, 09:54 PM
It is quite odd, I guess, but except for incidences on this Forum, which incidences occur almost daily, I have never heard anyone refer to Mr. Obama as either a Kenyan or a Muslim. Perhaps this is one of the "false truths" that has been sold?

You type that with a straight face?

Daniel Noyes
12-19-2015, 10:03 PM
Paul Horner's master-piece article on "Global Warming" has been taken up by many on the forum as well :) (hillarious because were actually headed into an ice age!)
I really thought Paul had blown his cover when he released that way over the top, gag article on Cow Farts but it has been accepted with-out question, it really is becomeing a little uncomfortable at this point.

CWSmith
12-19-2015, 10:29 PM

You type that with a straight face?

Wikipedia lays out a series of politicians who played that card, and later tried to deny it, long after the birth certificate was provided. Even they fail to mention Trump who as recently as July of this year raised the charge.

oznabrag
12-20-2015, 01:04 AM

It was the part about "Middle-aged conservatives" wasnt' it? just what you were looking to hear :)

Got a cite?

Seriously.

S.V. Airlie
12-20-2015, 01:28 AM
It is quite odd, I guess, but except for incidences on this Forum, which incidences occur almost daily, I have never heard anyone refer to Mr. Obama as either a Kenyan or a Muslim. Perhaps this is one of the "false truths" that has been sold? You're kidding, right?

Too Little Time
12-20-2015, 09:31 AM
I suppose we all knew that, instinctively....

So you want us to believe this is true.

I don't know much about hoaxes. But I do know that many people claim that stories the do not support their positions are false. Seems to apply to people on both sides of any issue.

George Jung
12-20-2015, 09:46 AM
Nice troll, Norman. Looks like you caught mostly 'carp', however.

Peerie Maa
12-20-2015, 09:47 AM

This looks real.

Science vs conspiracy: collective narratives in the age of (mis) information (http://dx.plos.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0118093)
Autori
Alessandro Bessi, Mauro Coletto, George Alexandru Davidescu, Antonio Scala, Guido Caldarelli, Walter Quattrociocchi

Data pubblicazione
2014/8/7

Pubblicazione
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0118093

Numero

Descrizione
Abstract The large availability of user provided contents on online social media facilitates
people aggregation around shared beliefs, interests, worldviews and narratives. In spite of
the enthusiastic rhetoric about the so called collective intelligence unsubstantiated rumors
and conspiracy theories—eg, chemtrails, reptilians or the Illuminati—are pervasive in online
social networks (OSN). In this work we study, on a sample of 1.2 million of individuals, how
information related to very distinct narratives—ie main stream scientific and conspiracy ...

Citazioni totali
Citato da 27 (https://scholar.google.it/scholar?oi=bibs&hl=it&cites=12629438865046597093&as_sdt=5)

Articoli in Scholar
Science vs Conspiracy: collective narratives in the age of misinformation (https://scholar.google.it/scholar?oi=bibs&cluster=12629438865046597093&btnI=1&hl=it)
A Bessi, M Coletto, GA Davidescu, A Scala… - PloS one, 2015
Citato da 27 (https://scholar.google.it/scholar?oi=bibs&hl=it&cites=12629438865046597093&as_sdt=5) - Articoli correlati (https://scholar.google.it/scholar?oi=bibs&hl=it&q=related:5W2d77vHRK8J:scholar.google.com/) - Tutte e 17 le versioni (https://scholar.google.it/scholar?oi=bibs&hl=it&cluster=12629438865046597093)

You hoaxing yourself Daniel?

Peerie Maa
12-20-2015, 09:48 AM
Paul Horner's master-piece article on "Global Warming" has been taken up by many on the forum as well :) (hillarious because were actually headed into an ice age!)
I really thought Paul had blown his cover when he released that way over the top, gag article on Cow Farts but it has been accepted with-out question, it really is becomeing a little uncomfortable at this point.

You got shares in a coal mine or something?

S.V. Airlie
12-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Agriculture contributes approximately 6 to 7% of the total U.S. greenhouse gas emissions. Methane from enteric (microbial) fermentation represents 20% and manure management 7% of the total CH4 emitted. Ruminants (beef, dairy, goats, and sheep) are the main contributors to CH4production.

The ruminant animal is unique because of its four stomach compartments: reticulum, rumen, omasum and abomasum. The rumen is a large, hollow muscular organ where microbial fermentation occurs. It can hold 40 to 60 gallons of material and an estimated 150 billion microorganisms per teaspoon are present in its contents. The function of the rumen as a fermentation vat and the presence of certain bacteria promote the development of gases. These gases are found in the upper part of the rumen with CO2 and CH4 making up the largest portion (Table 1). The proportion of these gases is dependent on rumen ecology and fermentation balance. Typically, the proportion of carbon dioxide is two to three times that of CH4, although a large quantity of CO2 is reduced to CH4. Approximately 132 to 264 gallons of ruminal gas produced by fermentation are belched each day. The eructation of gases via belching is important in bloat prevention but is also the way CH4 is emitted into the atmosphere.

really thought Paul had blown his cover when he released that way over the top, gag article on Cow Farts but it has been accepted with-out question, i

Canoeyawl
12-20-2015, 01:58 PM
Measuring gas in "gallons" doesn't seem quite right.

Peerie Maa
12-20-2015, 02:09 PM

Yep, should be doing all of the sums in litres.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
12-20-2015, 02:11 PM
What really feeds conspiracy theories and other inflammatory hoaxes is fear. The United States has more than a couple of presidential candidates spreading the fear on pretty thick these days.

S.V. Airlie
12-20-2015, 04:33 PM
Measuring gas in "gallons" doesn't seem quite right.But possible, there is a conversion for pounds to liquid gallons. So, the issue here is they used pounds. Seems kinda silly.

skuthorp
12-20-2015, 04:38 PM
I haven't looked, but often these figures are expressed in whatever measure gives the impression of the smallest or biggest of just most obscure figure depending on what is required for the purpose.
'Lies, damned lies and statistics"

Peter Malcolm Jardine
12-20-2015, 04:57 PM
For Skyblue, who doesn't seem to be aware of this issue.... September of this year.

A new poll finds that 43 percent of Republicans believe President Obama is a Muslim, and 20 percent of all adults believe he was born outside the United States.
A CNN/ORC poll (http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2015/images/09/12/iranpoll.pdf) out Sunday finds that while the vast majority of Americans believe, correctly, the Obama was born in the United States, there remains a solid subset of people who still believe he is foreign-born.

That poll also found that 29 percent of Americans, and 43 percent of Republicans, believe Obama is a Muslim. The president is a Christian.Nine percent of those polled believe there is solid evidence Obama was born elsewhere, while 11 percent just say they suspect he was not born in America. The president was born in Hawaii.
An ABC News/Washington Post poll in 2010 found similar numbers when asking about the president’s birthplace, with 20 percent saying then he was born outside the country.
Since then, the president has produced a birth certificate proving definitively he was born in Hawaii.
A plurality of Americans were able to correctly identify Obama’s religion, with 39 percent saying they believe he is Protestant or Christian. Another 11 percent say the president is not religious, while 14 percent had no opinion on the president’s faith.
Another poll (http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/252393-poll-majority-of-republicans-thinks-obama-is-a-muslim) out at the beginning of the month from the left-leaning Public Policy Polling found 54 percent of Republican voters believe the president is a Muslim.
A total of 1,012 adults were interviewed by phone for the CNN/ORC poll, with 27 percent describing themselves as Democrats, 24 percent as Republicans and 49 percent as Independents or members of another party. The poll was conducted from Sept. 4 through Sept. 8.

S.V. Airlie
12-20-2015, 05:01 PM
Hawaii has had a star on the US flag for longer than he has been alive. It's part of the 50 US stars. What is wrong with you people? Cruz was born in Canada. Start complaining about that. At least there is some justification there to question his citizenship. Apparently, few do.

Canoeyawl
12-20-2015, 06:03 PM
But possible, there is a conversion for pounds to liquid gallons. So, the issue here is they used pounds. Seems kinda silly.

A "gallon" of air is quite different at 10,000 feet than at sea level.
(We should know this, how big is a fart anyway?)

S.V. Airlie
12-20-2015, 06:06 PM
(We should know this, how big is a fart anyway?)You can experiment with that if you want.

oznabrag
12-20-2015, 07:14 PM
Agriculture contributes approximately 6 to 7% of the total U.S. greenhouse gas emissions. Methane from enteric (microbial) fermentation represents 20% and manure management 7% of the total CH4 emitted. Ruminants (beef, dairy, goats, and sheep) are the main contributors to CH4production.

The ruminant animal is unique because of its four stomach compartments: reticulum, rumen, omasum and abomasum. The rumen is a large, hollow muscular organ where microbial fermentation occurs. It can hold 40 to 60 gallons of material and an estimated 150 billion microorganisms per teaspoon are present in its contents. The function of the rumen as a fermentation vat and the presence of certain bacteria promote the development of gases. These gases are found in the upper part of the rumen with CO2 and CH4 making up the largest portion (Table 1). The proportion of these gases is dependent on rumen ecology and fermentation balance. Typically, the proportion of carbon dioxide is two to three times that of CH4, although a large quantity of CO2 is reduced to CH4. Approximately 132 to 264 gallons of ruminal gas produced by fermentation are belched each day. The eructation of gases via belching is important in bloat prevention but is also the way CH4 is emitted into the atmosphere.

really thought Paul had blown his cover when he released that way over the top, gag article on Cow Farts but it has been accepted with-out question, i

Yep, should be doing all of the sums in litres.

But possible, there is a conversion for pounds to liquid gallons. So, the issue here is they used pounds. Seems kinda silly.

I haven't looked, but often these figures are expressed in whatever measure gives the impression of the smallest or biggest of just most obscure figure depending on what is required for the purpose.
'Lies, damned lies and statistics"

What has happened here is that Jamie C&Ped from the Penn State Extension service (http://extension.psu.edu/animals/dairy/nutrition/nutrition-and-feeding/diet-formulation-and-evaluation/carbon-methane-emissions-and-the-dairy-cow), without attribution, then immediately forgot that he had done so.

Their literature is pointed at farmers, I would guess, who have become accustomed to thinking in pounds, gallons and teaspoons, and really have no need to concern themselves with the changes in volume of a mass of gas from sea level to 10,000 feet.

S.V. Airlie
12-20-2015, 07:19 PM
I didn't forget. I posted the article, of course it's created by farm animals. Does it matter that it's measured in pounds? I don't think so.

skuthorp
12-20-2015, 07:26 PM
"A new poll finds that 43 percent of Republicans believe President Obama is a Muslim, and 20 percent of all adults believe he was born outside the United States.
The poll also found that 29 percent of Americans, and 43 percent of Republicans, believe Obama is a Muslim. The president is a Christian.Nine percent of those polled believe there is solid evidence Obama was born elsewhere, while 11 percent just say they suspect he was not born in America."

'Beliving' that he wasn't born in the US is more acceptable than stating their lack of acceptance of the election is because he's black.

Too Little Time
12-20-2015, 08:58 PM

In science there is a standard temperature and pressure. So a gallon of a gas is some fraction of a mole of the gas: (1 gallon)/(2.2 liters) A change of units is in order.