PDA

View Full Version : Some Days You Have to Wonder

Canoez
12-18-2015, 01:47 PM
So, at work, we're preparing to package and ship a system to a customer.

For that effort, we need some cardboard boxes and foam that will go into a crate.

My co-worker is told that we need to get some urethane foam in both closed cell and open cell varieties as well as a 24"x24"x12" cardboard box.

To get one 24"x24"x12" box, we need to order a minimum of 10 pieces.

The shipment arrives with the boxes we need and the foam, also packaged in boxes.

One of the boxes has 6 closed cell foam planks which are 24" square and 2" thick in a - you guessed it - 24"x24"x12" box.

Derp.

We didn't need to order the 10 boxes.

As I'm throwing away the packaging materials, in our dumpster is a large amount of 2" open cell foam that someone has thrown away.

Derp.

We didn't need to order that, either.

Makes me shake my head.

oznabrag
12-18-2015, 04:43 PM
At one point I scored a pickup truck LOAD of scrap 2x4 and 1x4 in lengths of ~22".

There had to have been a thousand pieces.

3 years later it was all gone, and I really don't remember what I did with it! :p

Left to my own devices, I don't discard anything.

Willin'
12-18-2015, 05:17 PM
So, at work, we're preparing to package and ship a system to a customer.

For that effort, we need some cardboard boxes and foam that will go into a crate.

My co-worker is told that we need to get some urethane foam in both closed cell and open cell varieties as well as a 24"x24"x12" cardboard box.

To get one 24"x24"x12" box, we need to order a minimum of 10 pieces.

The shipment arrives with the boxes we need and the foam, also packaged in boxes.

One of the boxes has 6 closed cell foam planks which are 24" square and 2" thick in a - you guessed it - 24"x24"x12" box.

Derp.

We didn't need to order the 10 boxes.

As I'm throwing away the packaging materials, in our dumpster is a large amount of 2" open cell foam that someone has thrown away.

Derp.

We didn't need to order that, either.

Makes me shake my head.

Perhaps a note in the employee suggestion box regarding efficient use and reuse of shipping materials would be in order, ie stockpiling excess materials and reusing incomings before ordering more. Some companies offer rewards for sensible employee input that saves money, material and time. If not, maybe you could spearhead a common sensical change, just because.