PDA

View Full Version : Are there any archers here ?

PeterSibley
12-18-2015, 05:48 AM
I've been shooting arrows for a few months now. I bought a light recurve bow and 10 arrows and have been quietly plunking away most afternoons, shooting about 30 arrows from 20 and 25 yards. I' steadily improving especially when I consider my first attempts.

6 or 7 arrows in a 6'' group with a couple outside seems the rule at the moment. I'm after all ten in a 4'' group.

Does anyone else play this game?

Phillip Allen
12-18-2015, 07:01 AM
I'm impressed that you chose a simple bow

Paul Pless
12-18-2015, 07:04 AM
Does anyone else play this game?I used to. State of Alabama youth champion in 1985 and 86. I gave it up in college. Damn that was a long time ago. . .

lupussonic
12-18-2015, 07:54 AM
I'd love to, but have not as yet. Would love to make bows and arrows, and I think it is a much harder and more honourable way of hunting, that is more skilled and involved than rifle hunting provided the animal doesn't suffer overly. Which it probably would.
In the mean time it's a pastime I must take up. Well done Peter.

Old Dryfoot
12-18-2015, 09:43 AM
I do. I shoot a 45# recurve at the moment. Not as often as I would like though.

I'm keeping an eye out for an Onida bow too. I'm not much for compounds, but the Onida is just too nice to shoot not to own one.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-18-2015, 11:35 AM
I'd love to, but have not as yet. Would love to make bows and arrows, and I think it is a much harder and more honourable way of hunting, that is more skilled and involved than rifle hunting provided the animal doesn't suffer overly. Which it probably would.
In the mean time it's a pastime I must take up. Well done Peter.

My father had an archery equipment manufacturing company, but I've not shot in years - Bow hunting is illegal in the UK.

pipefitter
12-18-2015, 11:37 AM
Bow fishing is more fun than target practice or hunting land game.

jonboy
12-18-2015, 02:49 PM
My father had an archery equipment manufacturing company, but I've not shot in years - Bow hunting is illegal in the UK.
I'm not argueing, but is that really so ? since when? I still have a bunch of arrows with a ball point we used to use for shooting in woodland, wood pigeons and squirrels mostly. the ball end means the arrow doesn't get stuck in some tree forty feet up. if you miss, it just falls back down, but the best fletching rod had to be chosen carefully as a direct hit on a trunk or branch would shatter the shaft.

Paul Pless
12-18-2015, 03:18 PM
Google says bow hunting not permitted in Sherwood Forest, erm England since 1963. . .

PeterSibley
12-18-2015, 03:38 PM
I'm impressed that you chose a simple bow

I'm interested in a new skill Phillip, compounds seem too much like rifles with their sighs and extreme accuracy, recurve have no sights and it's more training your hand and brain to cooperate. I'm only shooting a light bow so far but will buy heavier limbs and arrows to suit once I get my consistency down.

My target at the moment is a rabbit outline at 20 yards.

Three Cedars
12-18-2015, 05:25 PM
10 arrows into a 4" circle at 20 yds would be getting expensive , as you would be breaking arrows regularly . 6" group is quite good , just shoot from longer range to continue the challenge .

Not sure if moving to a heavier bow is a good idea , it's all about fun . A 30 - 35# pull at your draw length is plenty for enjoyable shooting and as we age the body can handle that , heavier bows leads to injuries and aren't pleasant to shoot ..... just what I've gleaned after 40+ years of archery and learning from others that know more than me .

PeterSibley
12-18-2015, 05:43 PM
Hello Peter,
I'm a amatuer bowyer/archer.. pulling 40 - 60 pounds draw bows for fun and hunting.. even with bird snare, waiting for illegal cam drones that fly overhead.. there is some video of me testing newly made bows.. sometime arrow's spine must match the bow draw weight to get it to center.. as stiff arrows tend goes to left, while flimsy ones will go to right.. only if you're shooting wood arrows...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrFRTnftuXI

I learned that one after a month or so of heavy arrows shying off to the right ... I'm left handed. The current 10 are 700 spine carbon and match my little 30 pound bow beautifully, they don't kick at all. I may make arrows bye and bye , probably from some of my high ring count fir but not for a while. I'm after consistency at the moment. The joy of a light bow is I can shoot 50 arrows and feel no discomfort at all.

I've watched blokes shooting 3D with very heavy recurves and it doesn't look anywhere as easy (or fun). I can pull and shoot maybe 55 pound ( a friend's bow) but that was max, 40 should be OK but the 30 pound bow would take a rabbit and that's the only animal I'd consider hunting here.

Bobby of Tulsa
12-18-2015, 05:49 PM
Sorry for the Hijack, but happy birthday to you Larry, ya I know it aint today.Call me .

Paul Pless
12-18-2015, 05:51 PM
olympic style archers use recurves in the 40 to 48 pound draw weight at 18 and 25 meters indoors and 30, 50, 70 and 90 meters outdoors. . .

and that's the only animal I'd consider hunting here.cane toads? feral cats??

PeterSibley
12-18-2015, 06:05 PM
Interestingly enough cane toads seem to have had a massive impact on the feral cat population around here, every young kitten needs tucker and a 6 oz cane toad sitting on the roadside must look good but it's poisonous. Bingo. Dead cat, dead toad. I still kill lots of toads but a spade is quicker.

Re cats , I shot about 18 with my .22 on this place before the toads arrived but I very seldom see a cat now, nor foxes for the same reason.

PeterSibley
12-18-2015, 06:07 PM
olympic style archers use recurves in the 40 to 48 pound draw weight at 18 and 25 meters indoors and 30, 50, 70 and 90 meters outdoors. . .

I doubt I could see the target at 50 m with my eyesight !

McMike
12-18-2015, 06:24 PM
I bought a 40# take down re-curve this fall and got some really good composite arrows. Plan on practicing in the spring when the weather gets warmer. I'm not bad generally able to get 6" groups for three outta four arrows.

Bobby of Tulsa
12-18-2015, 06:43 PM
This guy will take ya where ya wanna be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt0n9W8KHS0

Gib Etheridge
12-18-2015, 06:56 PM
I made a bunch of old growth fir arrows once without checking the spine. Only a couple of them went where they were pointed. There was variation even from the same board.

You would do well to get a spine tester and check the shafts before you tip and fletch them.

PeterSibley
12-18-2015, 07:14 PM
Can't you just thin the middle of the shaft to adjust the spine ?

The Bigfella
12-18-2015, 07:14 PM
I used to shoot a 60lb PSE compound. 31" draw. Loaned it to a cousin, who loaned it to a dropkick who "lost" it.

I still recall the advertising slogan for these

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/17/emyzavah.jpg

Satellite users penetrate further. How rude....

Bobby of Tulsa
12-18-2015, 07:34 PM
Bow making is a passion of mine, primitive is what does it for me. I don't think Crazy horse or Sitting Bull gave a lot of thought to spline or draw weight.

PeterSibley
12-18-2015, 07:37 PM
They may not have called it spine but they'd have known how to make arrows fit a bow and a bow fit the man.

Gib Etheridge
12-18-2015, 07:53 PM
I bet, no, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that each individual made lots of arrows then kept the ones that worked for his bow and put the rest in the arrow pool for others with different requirements to sort thru. That would work for me anyway.

hokiefan
12-18-2015, 07:56 PM
Pulling heavy bows can get uncomfortable after awhile... beside that things tend to get sloppier too, like missing the target.. gosh, I hate huntin' for arrahs that snaked under the grass

Growing up I had a 30# fiberglass recurve that I shot for many years. Straw bale target that also served as our 1st baseman when we played short handed games of baseball. Fast forward to 1997 when I was home for my dad's funeral. I went out to cut the grass, Mom was complaining that the landscape guys were late and I needed something to keep myself occupied. While finishing up the backyard I found one of my old arrows, had laid hidden in the grass for 25 years or so. Brought back a ton of good memories.

Cheers,

Bobby

McMike
12-18-2015, 08:00 PM
practice indoor... I did... had a nice 40 feet straight shot through the whole house..

I would but The basement is a mess as I'm renovating and my house is only 32 feet long.

BrianW
12-19-2015, 07:20 AM
Does anyone else play this game?

I need to start Peter.

Paladin (Chuck) gifted me one of his bows. He gave it to me when we met for lunch in Annapolis. It's still in my garage, and I feel a tinge of guilt every time I look at it, knowing I need to shoot it.

Fortunately there's an archery shop that opened in Sitka recently. I need to visit and get some proper target arrows.

mdh
12-19-2015, 10:43 AM
Target shooters use sights, releases, stabilizers, and clickers on their recurves. Indians used light pull bows and went for multiple shots to kill large game. Modern hunters go for 100% pass through in the vitals to kill, which satellite style broadheads aren't especially good at. Their selling point was more like not haveing to sharpen them. Unlike previous broadheads they were razor sharp out of the box. You can shoot instinctive with a compound. That's how I shot my Oneida Eagle, and won 3D shoots doing it. Aluminum shafts have proven most economical and consistant for me. However, I did buy a couple dozen custom made cedar arrows matched and spined for my Schaeffer Silvertip. 3 or 4 shot groups are fine at the range, but in the woods, when yardage is unknown, it's the first shot that counts. Getting that close to a deer is craft all in itself.

Paul Pless
12-19-2015, 10:47 AM
Getting that close to a deer is craft all in itself.tree stand :D

mdh
12-19-2015, 10:54 AM
They help, but you gotta know which tree to put it in, which way to face it, and when to be in it. The success rate for bowhunters indicates most don't.

Paul Pless
12-19-2015, 11:01 AM
Well bow hunting is more difficult than firearm hunting. For a couple of decades I used to manage 250 plus acres of hardwood bottom land with a running creek and adjacent wetland that was bordered by a soybean field in west central Alabama. It was as prime a piece of white tail and turkey hunting land as could be found in the Southeast. I became and remain pretty disillusioned with bowhunting in general, after finding so many deer on my land with with arrows stuck in them, most often in their anatomy that would not have been anywhere near immediately lethal. It seems that most bowhunters are really rifle hunters that only hunt with a bow to extend their deer season. Dedicated and skilled bow hunters are a small minority of the population of people that enter the woods with a bow.

Old Dryfoot
12-19-2015, 01:22 PM
Target shooters use sights, releases, stabilizers, and clickers on their recurves.

Not this one.

I shoot a take down PSE from the shelf with no sights.

Old Dryfoot
12-19-2015, 02:18 PM
:D not this one, I shoot what I handmade... the bow is solid hickory, flemish twist strings and made arrows with wild turkey wing feathers.

Right. You've got me beat. :)

I enjoy what I do, but I know that I'm a dabbler and not as serious as some. Evidence in fact, I shoot aluminum arrows. I'm not too bad for a hack though! :D
Maybe one day when I have more time. . .

oznabrag
12-19-2015, 02:42 PM
I would but The basement is a mess as I'm renovating and my house is only 32 feet long.

My shop space is ~36.

I have a string hanging from the ceiling, about a foot off the far end, and an empty soda can hanging about 6' off the floor.

3" behind the can is a piece of heavy Dacron about 3' wide that drapes all the way to the floor, where I bunched the fabric, loosely, into an empty mud bucket.

That way, most of the slingshot pellets end up in the bucket.

It really is amazing how few direct hits with that 3/8" ball it takes to cut the can in half.

hokiefan
12-19-2015, 03:18 PM
Well bow hunting is more difficult than firearm hunting. For a couple of decades I used to manage 250 plus acres of hardwood bottom land with a running creek and adjacent wetland that was bordered by a soybean field in west central Alabama. It was as prime a piece of white tail and turkey hunting land as could be found in the Southeast. I became and remain pretty disillusioned with bowhunting in general, after finding so many deer on my land with with arrows stuck in them, most often in their anatomy that would not have been anywhere near immediately lethal. It seems that most bowhunters are really rifle hunters that only hunt with a bow to extend their deer season. Dedicated and skilled bow hunters are a small minority of the population of people that enter the woods with a bow.

Funny, I only know three bow hunters here but they are dedicated bow only deer hunters. They shoot year round and are very intent on clean kills with the first shot. One guy named Paul claims he hasn't left a deer he shot at in the woods in two decades. Rather he's left hundreds out there that he drew on but didn't get a clean look so he let them go on by. None of these guys will hunt during gun season, the woods are too crowded for their taste.

Cheers,

Bobby

coelacanth2
12-19-2015, 11:18 PM
I still have the bow I was shooting when I was a teenager - my folks had a big backyard and a then friend and I could get out to 75 or 80 paces. I'd bought a fiberglass and magnesium Bear takedown, he had an older wood/metal recurve that he got from a neighbor. When he went off to college ( UMass Amherst followed by the Boston Conservatory) he borrowed my 12 string.

I got it back 7 years later in pieces. He admitted he'd been drunk, stoned and probably tripping when he dropped it down a couple flights of stairs. Damn jazz musicians. I kept the bow. I stopped shooting it a few years ago when it turned 60. It's a Grimes Super Chief.

Since then I shoot both compound with sights and a release as well as a recurve. I'm fortunate that I've enough room to have a range to 60 plus yards in my backyard including off angle shots. Both are quite heavy enough for hunting. As noted by others above, archery is a pleasant way to relax. My son, a good shot with almost anything, likes it better than rifle or shotgun.

oznabrag
12-20-2015, 12:56 AM
I still have the bow I was shooting when I was a teenager - my folks had a big backyard and a then friend and I could get out to 75 or 80 paces. I'd bought a fiberglass and magnesium Bear takedown, he had an older wood/metal recurve that he got from a neighbor. When he went off to college ( UMass Amherst followed by the Boston Conservatory) he borrowed my 12 string.

I got it back 7 years later in pieces. He admitted he'd been drunk, stoned and probably tripping when he dropped it down a couple flights of stairs. Damn jazz musicians. I kept the bow. I stopped shooting it a few years ago when it turned 60. It's a Grimes Super Chief.

I have to say that a 'Grimes Super Chief' sounds like some sorta badass Detroit pickup truck, or a railroad engine, or something!

I bought a Bear 'Panda' youth bow for last Christmas, and the 'recipient' left it out in the yard one too many times . . .

Real sweetheart of a 30-pounder, but I have no idea what became of it!

:d

Damned Jazz Musicians. . . I heard a rumor one of 'em started singin' with my eldest Staircase Child, this afternoon.

I'm sure Good King Wenceslas was pleased.