PDA

View Full Version : More School Idiocy from Texas

Ian McColgin
12-17-2015, 02:32 PM
[IMc - Get to the end of the story and there are hints of some interesting history here.]

FOURTH GRADER SUSPENDED FOR BRINGING HIS 'ONE RING' TO SCHOOL

By Tom Koch
Tuesday, February 03, 2015

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/creativecontent/images/cms/502383_630x354.jpg

ODESSA, TX -- A fourth grade boy in Odessa, Texas has been suspended from school for making a terroristic threat. He told another boy that he had a magic ring and could make him disappear.

The boy's father, Jason Steward, tells the New York Daily News that he took his son to see "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" last weekend. He says his son brought a ring to class at Kermit Elementary School and acted out a scene from the movie, telling another boy his magic ring could make the boy disappear.

The principal was called and immediately suspended the nine-year-old, the Odessa American reports, saying threats to another child's safety would not be tolerated - whether they are magical or not.

The principal now says she can't comment on the matter because quote, "All student stuff is confidential."

Steward says the principal sent the boy for making a terroristic threat with a magic ring. Steward told her his son lacked the magical powers necessary to threaten his friend's existence, but even if he had those powers, he's sure his son would bring his friend right back.

"Kids act out movies that they see. When I watched Superman as a kid, I went outside and tried to fly," Steward told the Daily News.

The family moved to the school district just six months ago, but it's the third time the nine-year-old has been suspended, the Odessa American reports.

The child was suspended the first time for referring to an African American child as black. His second suspension came after he brough his favorite book to school, called "The Big Book of Knowledge." The popular children's encyclopedia had a section on pregnancy with a pregnant woman in an illustration.

http://abc7.com/news/boy-suspended-for-bringing-his-one-ring-to-school/502381/

S.V. Airlie
12-17-2015, 02:41 PM
Jeeez! Heck, it's TEXAS!

delecta
12-17-2015, 02:53 PM
The father should be suspended, that move is PG13, his son is nine.

Garret
12-17-2015, 02:58 PM
The father should be suspended, that move is PG13, his son is nine.

The "PG" stands for "Parental Guidance" & obviously, the father thought his son was up to it. So, now you want to punish parents for making their own decisions? Typical Republican I'll mind your business, but don't you dare mind mine.

S.V. Airlie
12-17-2015, 03:00 PM
The father should be suspended, that move is PG13, his son is nine. In this day and age and at that age accompanied by a parent, there is no need for the parent to be suspended. That's just stupid! You think a fourth grader lives in a friggin' bubble?

Ian McColgin
12-17-2015, 03:00 PM
Perhaps delecta does not know that PG-13 does not mean that no children under 13 should see the film.

George Jung
12-17-2015, 03:03 PM
Hahaha!

Onion, right? Right?

Tell me - even in Texas - folks in leadership positions aren't that stupid. Please?

S.V. Airlie
12-17-2015, 03:06 PM
Hahaha!

Onion, right? Right?

Tell me - even in Texas - folks in leadership positions aren't that stupid. Please? You would think so! My respect for pols, educators whatever, has slipped dramatically.

delecta
12-17-2015, 03:22 PM
Perhaps delecta does not know that PG-13 does not mean that no children under 13 should see the film.

Apparently this one should have not seen it and that is the parents job to decide, not all parents are responsible which is evident here. This has nothing to do with political affiliation, there are terrible parents on both sides of the the political spectrum.

Keith Wilson
12-17-2015, 03:25 PM
A kid pretending that his toy ring will make people disappear means his parents are irresponsible? What planet do you come from?

delecta
12-17-2015, 03:32 PM
A kid pretending that his toy ring will make people disappear means his parents are irresponsible? What planet do you come from?

Yeah, you're right. I still don't think a nine year old should go to a pg13 movie especially considering his history.

Figment
12-17-2015, 03:34 PM
why are we recycling nonsense from February?

Ian McColgin
12-17-2015, 03:34 PM
Right. Kid carries around "The Big Book of Knowledge". Clearly a troubled child, bad seed, headed to no good.

John of Phoenix
12-17-2015, 03:35 PM
The child was suspended the first time for referring to an African American child as black. His second suspension came after he brough his favorite book to school, called "The Big Book of Knowledge." The popular children's encyclopedia had a section on pregnancy with a pregnant woman in an illustration.

Since February, is it? ​ This is the kid's third strike. I'm surprised Texas hasn't executed him already.

George Jung
12-17-2015, 03:39 PM
Yeah, you're right. I still don't think a nine year old should go to a pg13 movie especially considering his history.

Either you're trolling a bit (alright, a lot)

oR... you're obtuse.

Your call!

S.V. Airlie
12-17-2015, 03:41 PM

Since February, is it? ​ This is the kid's third strike. I'm surprised Texas hasn't executed him already.
I think Knowledge threw the principal for a loop! Heaven forbid!

BrianY
12-17-2015, 03:44 PM
I have been trying to come up with words to properly express my utter disgust and contempt for the principal but have not been able to do so...and now a certain poster above who shall remain nameless because I have been informed that it's not kosher to call out individuals here on the WBF just adds to the idiocy...

If these folks are indicative of the average level of intelligence in this country, then we're doomed. It was a great experiment but now we've come to its end. Somebody turn out the lights.

CWSmith
12-17-2015, 03:45 PM
Sounds like there is hope for the kid, but not for Texas.

skuthorp
12-17-2015, 03:50 PM
"I have been informed that it's not kosher to call out individuals here on the WBF"
Oh I don't know, it just depends how subtle you are about it.:D

PhaseLockedLoop
12-17-2015, 05:01 PM
The story is from a year ago. Stupid, but not exactly news.

Mark O.
12-17-2015, 05:40 PM
referring to an African American child as black. Is that a bad word, now? Who knew?