PDA

View Full Version : Skin Cancer

ccmanuals
12-17-2015, 01:59 PM
Many of us have spent years in the sun and as we get older different forms of some skin cancers become a real possibility. If you are getting growths or scabs that don't heal see a dermatologist.

I just had a nasty Squamous Cell Carcinoma‎ removed from my neck utilizing the MOH surgery methodology. It went fine and the surgeon got it all the first time.

Word to the wise.

Peerie Maa
12-17-2015, 02:00 PM
A worrying experience. Glad it came out OK.

ccmanuals
12-17-2015, 02:02 PM
A worrying experience. Glad it came out OK.

Thanks. Having never seen a dermatologist I was in denial for a couple of months. Point is don't wait.

S.V. Airlie
I check and have been lucky not finding anything. BUT, being dark skinned and not with red or blonde hair, I think I'm less likely to burn as much. Again, still check.

Rum_Pirate
many of us have spent years in the sun and as we get older different forms of some skin cancers become a real possibility. if you are getting growths or scabs that don't heal see a dermatologist.

i just had a nasty squamous cell carcinoma‎ removed from my neck utilizing the moh surgery methodology. It went fine and the surgeon got it all the first time.

Word to the wise.

+ 1,000,000 y>

Chip-skiff
12-17-2015, 03:22 PM
The sign to really watch out for is a very black (sometimes patchy or brown) mole that shows up in a spot where you've had a lot of sun or a sunburn. If you have a partner, get them to look over your back at least monthly. The top of your head is another area you can't see, so ask your partner or barber to check. These spots can be melanomas, the most fatal type of skin cancer. I had one removed years ago from the center of my back and had some followup surgery. Now going on 7 years with no recurrence.

Quite a few yachties and boaters in NZ have died from melanomas, i.e. Graham Egarr who wrote river guidebooks. All the kiddies now wear hats on school outings.

Ian McColgin
12-17-2015, 03:41 PM
My Dad developed little melanomas and the treatment eventually evolved to botox. The result was in his ninties he had a face with less lines than in his thirties, and Mother was jealous.

CWSmith
12-17-2015, 03:43 PM
Glad to hear it went well.

Both dad and I have had melanoma, but surgery in time resolved both. The "in time" part is critical. You want to get it before it gets into the lymph nodes.

slug
12-17-2015, 03:47 PM
Dont know what to say. Im a sailor. Ive been in the intense sun my whole life. Half million miles worth.

Im an old guy.

I take protection seriuosly.... always sun block . Always sunglases.

i had senile cataracts ten years ago... Eyes , uv burn. They fixed my peepers with new lenses.

Its winter now, my right ear is bleeding today.

Not good. Doc next week.

The sun is dangerous to your health. Be aware.

seek pro advice when its not right

Bobby of Tulsa
12-17-2015, 03:50 PM
My wife had one on her forearm, it just looked like a pimple, but kept getting bigger. When she finally gave in and went to the doctor they ended up taking a golf ball size chunk out of her arm. Don't fool around with this stuff.

Ted Hoppe
12-17-2015, 04:14 PM
I grew up in the tropics never wore sunscreen. I have a few removed. I will wear long sleeves and a goofy hat from now on my spotting skin.

my father-in-law who had outstanding health insurance died to due to skin melanomas which he watched diligently went internal and became inoperable brain cancer. Take care of your skin as getting cut an inch at a time is no joke nor is it the end of the matter.

John of Phoenix
12-17-2015, 04:17 PM
I've had my doc look at a couple of "things" that I thought were suspicious. "Nope, nothing to worry about. Just the barnacles of life." Better to have them checked out by a pro.

Concordia...41
12-17-2015, 04:28 PM
Yep. My doc calls the benign ones barnacles. :D Don't even think he's a boater LOL

Chris Coose
12-17-2015, 05:33 PM
I've had my doc look at a couple of "things" that I thought were suspicious. "Nope, nothing to worry about. Just the barnacles of life." Better to have them checked out by a pro.

The skin Doc stepped back after taking a close look at something on my forehead then a long torso scan and said, "You have amazing skin genetics. Your skin heals really well from sun exposure." "So how much attention do I have to pay to prevention?, I says. "In this lifetime?... Not much", he replied.

S.V. Airlie
12-17-2015, 05:34 PM
Yep. My doc calls the benign ones barnacles. :D Don't even think he's a boater LOLThat's great!

I spent a lot on the water. I also carried out research on terrapins in MD. walking around islands in the heat and the sun. Same working on loons in NY paddling around all sizes of lakes in the same conditions. My osprey research, the same. A pic was posted here with a pic banding young birds back in the early '70's. You will notice I wasn't wearing a hort sleeved shirt then eithery

I didn't wear short sleeved shorts ever. One potential problem avoided

CWSmith
12-17-2015, 05:44 PM
Its winter now, my right ear is bleeding today.

Not good. Doc next week.

The ear tips are a classic location for skin cancer. I had benign growth on both 20 years ago. Several rounds of cut & freeze by a very pretty dermatologist and I no longer wear baseball caps. I wear hats with brims and I don't care how it looks.

Mark O.
12-17-2015, 05:46 PM
Odd thing about melanoma...it can occur where "the sun don't shine" as our oncologists put it. Girlfriend had it between her big and 2nd toe. Also can occur on your butt or in your eye...so any spot that looks like melanoma, could be regardless of location.

Lew Barrett
12-17-2015, 05:49 PM
Just glad it all came out well! Us oldies need to watch it all.

Willin'
12-17-2015, 06:03 PM
Had a small squamous removed from my upper arm last year. The first, at 63, after a lifetime as a beach rat, surf dog and sailor never inclined to use sunblock. I can't explain why, I just hate that SPF stuff and am having a hard time bringing myself to use it despite all good advice.

Of course, I refuse to join AARP or the local Senior Center too.

Guess I refuse to grow up.

Peerie Maa
12-17-2015, 06:08 PM
I no longer wear baseball caps. I wear hats with brims and I don't care how it looks.

I'm fair skinned, so I turn red and two days later my skin falls off. 'Cause of that I have given up on this tanned weather beaten look, wear hats with brims, and as often as not long sleeved shirts.

Peerie Maa
12-17-2015, 06:12 PM
Odd thing about melanoma...it can occur where "the sun don't shine" as our oncologists put it. Girlfriend had it between her big and 2nd toe. Also can occur on your butt or in your eye...so any spot that looks like melanoma, could be regardless of location.

Yes, I heard that one form can develop internally (the case I heard of was in the lungs), but can be treated medically rather than radiologically or chemically.

CWSmith
12-17-2015, 06:25 PM

Mark, I always assumed otherwise. Thank you. I will remember this lesson.

Gerarddm
12-17-2015, 06:28 PM
OP is truer words never spoken.

My sister just had two melanomas taken from her right forearm; one was so extensive that she will need some cosmetic surgery to repair the large gouge it resulted in. Fortunately her doc said he had clean margins on both and got it all.

ahp
12-17-2015, 07:23 PM
I had a precancerous spot removed from my ear. A dermatologist looks me over every six months.

bamamick
12-17-2015, 07:24 PM
My dad died of skin cancer four years ago. Two weeks ago they took the first chunk off of my head, and yesterday we got the call that they need to take off some more. Not really too thrilled about this, because with my father they just kept cutting and cutting until there wasn't any more to cut. They started doing this with my dad when he was in his late 60's. I am 57.

Kind of stinks.

Mickey Lake

CWSmith
12-17-2015, 07:29 PM
Kind of stinks.

Mickey Lake

Hang in there. This is a subject where they get better every year. Good luck.

Willin'
12-17-2015, 07:37 PM
My dad died of skin cancer four years ago. Two weeks ago they took the first chunk off of my head, and yesterday we got the call that they need to take off some more. Not really too thrilled about this, because with my father they just kept cutting and cutting until there wasn't any more to cut. They started doing this with my dad when he was in his late 60's. I am 57.

Kind of stinks.

Mickey Lake

Regrettably, genetic predisposition seems to be as big or bigger a factor as exposure and lifestyle from what I've read and heard. Sorry to hear this, Mick. It just seems unfair sometimes.

My Dad, despite a lifetime of seriously bad habits and solar exposure passed away at 91 of old age or dementia after surviving prostate cancer. I almost hope I don't go that long after seeing his last months.

Breakaway
12-17-2015, 07:48 PM
Hats. Sunscreen. And long sleeves. I wear surfer " rash guards" a lot. They are light, dry quickly and are UPF rated .

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

bamamick
12-18-2015, 12:22 PM
The first sailing trophy I ever got was handed to me by a gentleman named Nolphie Alfonso, who was missing one of his ears. He pointed to himself at the trophy presentation and told all of us juniors to be careful in the sun because it'll get you one day if you aren't. Nice man.

After 40+ years of sailing and 50+ of being on boats, I have finally found a hat that I can wear that will stay on my head. I got a bucket hat from the Catboat Association, and it fits my large head and isn't uncomfortable.

Mickey Lake