PDA

View Full Version : The question NOT asked in the Republican debate

John Smith
12-16-2015, 05:50 AM
Many of the candidates want to 'rebuild' our military so that it's second to none, which I think it already is, but they want to spend more money on it. They also want to dramatically increase military efforts against ISIS. The question they were not asked:

Are you going to raise taxes to pay for this, or simply add it to the growing debt you complain about?

Another, to me, interesting discussion in this debate was about information mining. There seemed to be more intense desire for our government to mine data from all sources, which gets us back to our emails, Facebook, etc. and brings up the old question: What authority are you willing to give the government so it can keep us safe?

A couple of candidates seemed to think we could do this, but only target the 'bad guys". I don't know how you find the "bad guys" without looking through ALL of this data.

Tom Montgomery
12-16-2015, 07:45 AM
You and I both know that the Republican candidates who advocate spending more money on the military also advocate more tax cuts.

As for trading freedom for a sense of security... Ben Franklin is rolling over in his grave.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

S.V. Airlie
12-16-2015, 09:08 AM
The #1 issue appears to be about terrorism, the fear of. One thing no one seems to realize the Guns in Cal. were bought legally, at least, one was American born. BUT, no mention about gun control or banning assault weapons. Without weapons, would this incident have happened?

Jim Mahan
12-16-2015, 09:19 AM
Many of the candidates want to 'rebuild' our military so that it's second to none, which I think it already is, but they want to spend more money on it.

ISIS notwithstanding, this is both absurd and obscene.

S.V. Airlie
12-16-2015, 09:32 AM
ISIS notwithstanding, this is both absurd and obscene.Are you agreeing that the majority of the candidates want to do just that, or doing so is absurd and obscene?

George Jung
12-16-2015, 09:40 AM
I've 'trotted this info' out for some of my more rabid patients - the disconnect between more military, less taxes; between 'closer scrutiny and looking through all our records/emails'.

That blank look never fails to amaze me.

Keith Wilson
12-16-2015, 09:42 AM
Any connection between the statements of those folks up on the stage last night and reality is purely accidental.

George Jung
12-16-2015, 09:54 AM
And if that was HBO, that'd be fine; it's not, and it's not. 'Low information voters' - we're gonna die from within.

Jim Mahan
12-16-2015, 10:23 AM
re #5

We have all seen the numbers, the outrageous difference in the size of our military and it's budget compared to the rest of the world. I can't think of anything more stupid than the idea that the U.S. has a need for any addtional military, equipment, munitions or personnel, that anyone could try to justify it, especially as a reason for voting for them for a high office.

For the U.S. to allow any social costs go un-met because of the spending for the military, is obscene to the point of being on the verge of being a crime against humanity.

We have significant portions of our population without a decent place to sleep, or enough to eat, and with little or no hope for improvement and a decent life, for generations, short of a biblical style miracle. And while this is true, some of our candidates for elected office, and ignorant and selfish voters, have the gall to clamor for more money for more bombers and aircraft carriers, for more pointless, counter-productive middle east violence and destruction to the tune of tens of millions of dollars every day for years?

Obscene.

If I were president, I would disband and fire all the military, except for an honor guard, nationalize all of the arms industry in the country, and split all the money that used to be the military budget in half, one half to pay for domestic improvements and the other half spread as evenly as possible through the whole middle east, at least for some decades, as a bribe to not terrorize us and the rest of the world. Two hundred billion dollars, every year, to rebuild the middle east, and house and feed and medically treat all of the living casualties of our military efforts in the region to date. And two hundred billion dollars, every year for as long as it takes, to do the same in our country for our own population, as well as rebuilding the pathetic infrastructure, and to provide FREE higher education to anyone who can attend a class.

Think about this for just a second. Imagine what the world would be like if the above could somehow be magically made to happen. What would things be like one year after beginning the anti-war movement outlined above?

Intead of trillions of dollars worth of damage visible from space, we could, by our choice, spend that money to build instead of destroy, and feed and educate instead of kill and bury and incite. What would it be like if the rest of the planet could get used to such a paradigm change?

Or just don't bother to even try to imagine, let alone vote, because war is just so human and venerable, as if God mandated the Earth be slowly destroyed by idiots, and that's as good as we ever get. Ten thousand years from now, the smart aliens will have our system flagged as a hazard to navigation and an example of nature providing intelligence without wisdom and compassion.

CWSmith
12-16-2015, 10:30 AM
I could not bring myself to watch, but I must assume there are other questions not asked:

1) What would you do about the Department of Education?
2) What would you do about the Department of Energy?
3) How would you interact with the United Nations?
4) What would you do about the growing power and vulnerability of big banks?
5) Would you continue to fund school lunches?
6) What would you do about the escalating cost of a college education?
and my favorite,
7) Do you believe in evolution?

BrianY
12-16-2015, 11:08 AM
I still want someone to ask Trump how he will make the Mexicans pay for that wall.

S.V. Airlie
12-16-2015, 11:12 AM
He can't answer, he doesn't really know the answer. Tough questions are verboten.

Gerarddm
12-16-2015, 12:06 PM
The question not asked should have been: " Are you for real? "