PDA

View Full Version : New Kiwi flag.

Hwyl
12-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Will they have the "ensign" versions.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/11A35/production/_87154227_gettyimages-492306228.jpg

john welsford
12-11-2015, 12:14 PM
Its going to be interesting, there is considerable resistance to the idea of the change, in part at least because many people feel that the money spent on the process would have been better spent on social ills or conservation programs and will vote for no change in protest.
We're currently at stage one, choosing which of five choices will run off against the existing flag.

John Welsford

bob winter
12-11-2015, 12:16 PM
That is actually not a bad looking flag.

Paul Pless
12-11-2015, 12:21 PM
That is actually not a bad looking flag.half isis/half australian. . .

Gerarddm
12-11-2015, 12:47 PM
Aren't fern leaves alternating on each side?

John Oliver did a hilarious segment on the flag competition, getting particularly excited about the one with a kiwi with laser beams darting from its eyes. ;-)

John B
12-11-2015, 02:40 PM
half isis/half australian. . .

Rubbbbbissssh man, the southern crosss is ours , just like pavlova and crowded house.

CWSmith
12-11-2015, 02:45 PM
. . . many people feel that the money spent on the process would have been better spent on social ills or conservation programs . . .

I don't understand. I have it on excellent authority from many US politicians that if we spend money on social or conservation programs it will be the downfall of American society and ISIS will overrun our borders.

seanz
12-11-2015, 03:23 PM
Rubbbbbissssh man, the southern crosss is ours , just like pavlova and crowded house.

And the preferential voting system.

S.V. Airlie
12-11-2015, 03:31 PM
I like it as a non-citizen of Kiwiland.

lupussonic
12-11-2015, 04:32 PM
Aren't fern leaves alternating on each side?

Yes, just like the flag.

john welsford
12-11-2015, 04:58 PM
And Phar Lap, and Russell Crowe ( oops, you can have him, cheap)

Interestingly, the flag with the Union Jack in the top corner and the Southern Cross was New Zealands before Australia made their very similar flag official.

John Welsford

john welsford
12-11-2015, 05:03 PM

Second choice in the referendum was essentially the same with the black replaced with red, I suppose that some people would see that as "half Republican" and some might see it as "half communist".

Black has for many decades been the colour for New Zealands sporting teams, as in the current World Rugby cup holders the "All Blacks", the "Black Caps" cricket team are currently demolishing the Sri Lancan team, the "Black Ferns" are in the world womens hockey semis, and so on.
The colour has a long history for us, much longer than Isis.

John Welsford

seanz
12-11-2015, 05:08 PM
And Phar Lap, and Russell Crowe ( oops, you can have him, cheap)

Interestingly, the flag with the Union Jack in the top corner and the Southern Cross was New Zealands before Australia made their very similar flag official.

John Welsford

Like this one?
:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australasian_Anti-Transportation_League_Flag

John B
12-11-2015, 05:45 PM
Time for a change , I quite like it. We don't need mommas union jack on our flag anymore. I have nothing against it but well, we're our own country.
Red is not us , too loud, like my motor car.
We're darkish ,muted , flat colours like our sea and our countryside, not like the noisy golden ones across the Tasman.

PeterSibley
12-11-2015, 05:54 PM
As half Oz half Kiwi.... I like it, I hope Oz can do as well.

Gerarddm
12-11-2015, 09:54 PM
#10: Just so, I need to have my eyeglass prescription checked.

devout
12-11-2015, 11:37 PM
I like it. SA ditched the Union Jack in 1994. The British had a huge part in our history but also did us a lot of dirt.

Chip-skiff
12-12-2015, 01:31 AM
Growing out of colonial status.

Good on you, Kiwis.

PeterSibley
12-12-2015, 01:34 AM
I like it. SA ditched the Union Jack in 1994. The British had a huge part in our history but also did us a lot of dirt.

The Brits were more uniformly helpful to Australia than SA, I would imagine a fair bit of ill feeling towards them might exist in some quarters there.

devout
12-12-2015, 04:17 AM
The Brits were more uniformly helpful to Australia than SA, I would imagine a fair bit of ill feeling towards them might exist in some quarters there.
Indeed, two wars from 1880 to 1881 and 1899 to 1902. 28,000 civilian casualties, mostly women and children interned in concentration camps dying of malnutrition and disease. You can see the resentment every time we play against them in rugby :D. Interestingly enough, both Australia and New Zeeland (edited: of course, Canada too) partook in those on England's side, so watch it! Cheers

PeterSibley
12-12-2015, 04:27 AM
We did and we should have stayed home.... we had more in common with you lot that the Brits. A right mess !

WX
12-12-2015, 04:33 AM

That is so wrong in so many ways it really funny.
1 It's got black, must be ISIS.
2 It's got the Southern Cross, Must be Australian.
3 The Oz version has five stars and they are white...oh dear, does that mean we are racist as well?

devout
12-12-2015, 08:14 AM
We did and we should have stayed home.... we had more in common with you lot that the Brits. A right mess !

Hi Peter

Hindsight is twenty - twenty vision they say. White South Africans have, pre - 1994, lots of things to be ashamed of too, and some of it was of course shaped by the devastation of those two wars. I read somewhere that the white population of SA may have been around 25m today, but because of those war losses it stands at around 4m, and declining. None the less, history has context that doesn't always reflect in the words on paper, or how the story is told by the recorders of history, which is invariably the victors.

I love history, but I am always careful not to apportion blame and be overly critical of decisions at the time, because there is no way of really understanding all the factors considered when those decisions were made.

Regards

goodbasil
12-12-2015, 09:16 AM
Looks a lot better than ours, which was adopted in 1965.
Ours looks like a table cloth that IKEA or Willnot would sell.
In fact the Red Ensign was considered to be one of the most beautiful flags in the world.

goodbasil
12-12-2015, 09:17 AM
Why do you need a new one?
Ours was changed to appease Quebec.

Michael D. Storey
12-12-2015, 01:06 PM
It's a real nice flag. I remember that I was in Paris when the Maple Leaf first appeared. I was asked why it was red, and replied that it was a red maple. I was delighted, however. Simple and distinctive. Same to be said for the Kiwi. Long may it wave.