PDA

View Full Version : Trump loses face in Scotland

isla
12-10-2015, 01:28 PM
Donald Trump was stripped of his honorary degree from Aberdeen’s Robert Gordon University last night – amid a growing clamour for him to be barred from entering the UK.

Also, Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has withdrawn the tycoon’s membership of the GlobalScot network, on the grounds he is “no longer fit” to be a business ambassador for Scotland.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/775555/trump-stripped-of-rgu-degree-as-calls-for-him-to-be-barred-from-uk-grow/

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-10-2015, 01:33 PM
No longer......

When if ever?

Sky Blue
12-10-2015, 01:58 PM
I'm surprised he was allowed to continue as an ambassador after referring to Mexican immigrants as rapists and drug dealers. Now a suggestion that a pause in Muslim immigration in the wake of a terror event in the US is suddenly too much for Scottish sensibilities?

Looks like selective and convenient outrage from here. Perhaps there are very few Mexican immigrants in Scotland.

Garret
12-10-2015, 02:01 PM
I'm surprised he was allowed to continue as an ambassador after referring to Mexican immigrants as rapists and drug dealers. Now a suggestion that a pause in Muslim immigration in the wake of a terror event in the US is suddenly too much for Scottish sensibilities?

Looks like selective and convenient outrage from here. Perhaps there are very few Mexican immigrants in Scotland.

At least they've reacted (appropriately). Are you jumping the case of all Trumps fellow Republian candidates who stayed quiet until now as well? How about the RNC for allowing him to still claim to be running as a Republican?

S.V. Airlie
12-10-2015, 02:04 PM
I'm sure losing face is no skin off his ass.

Sky Blue
12-10-2015, 02:09 PM
Few or none of his competitors were quiet regarding his comments about Mexican immigrants. Quite to the contrary. And he similarly lost endorsements, clothing lines, etc. This is political opportunism, not diversity piety which is why selective outrage is so transparent. It is dishonest. Why was it OK to remain an ambassador after the comments about Mexicans?

Peerie Maa
12-10-2015, 02:14 PM

He is not the only RW Nut to slag off U S of A's southern neighbours, but having a go at UK citizens demands a response from the UK.

S.V. Airlie
12-10-2015, 02:15 PM
I guess the obvious; there are probably more Muslims in Scotland then there are Mexicans in Scotland.

Steve McMahon
12-10-2015, 02:20 PM

Spew :d

Sky Blue
12-10-2015, 02:27 PM
He is not the only RW Nut to slag off U S of A's southern neighbours, but having a go at UK citizens demands a response from the UK.

You should probably rethink that analysis, Nick, as I hardly think the University believes that Mr. Trump's stated bigotries are meaningless to his status as a formalized honoree unless and until they reach local citizens.

At least I hope not, as that would render such persons as ugly and bigoted as he is, and perhaps even worse than that for their pretense that they are in fact not so.

S.V. Airlie
12-10-2015, 02:31 PM
Really! Too funny, he is a bigot, as an ambassador he'd be advocating it. Something Scotland wants to avoid.

It's like Bristol Palin advocating abstinence after two kids born out of wedlock. Maybe she should walk the walk.,

goodbasil
12-10-2015, 02:32 PM
Trump is a one man low IQ convention.

skuthorp
12-10-2015, 02:33 PM
The petition circulated re not allowing Trump into GB achieved enough signatures to force parliament to deal with it.
So what happens if he get's to be Pres? No visa?

Peerie Maa
12-10-2015, 02:36 PM
You should probably rethink that analysis, Nick, as I hardly think the University believes that Mr. Trump's stated bigotries are meaningless to his status as ambassador unless and until they reach local citizens.

At least I hope not, as that would render such persons as ugly and bigoted as he is, and perhaps even worse than that for their pretence that they are in fact not so.

Don't you think that it would be a tad pretentious of the UK to take over Mexico's responsibility of defending Mexicans? I do.

There is not much on the web from Mexicans on Fart. This is the first non UK comment that I found on Google. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/07/06/mexican-elites-secretly-agree-with-trump.html

and

http://www.forbes.com/sites/doliaestevez/2015/08/31/is-the-mexican-government-afraid-to-speak-out-against-donald-trump/

S.V. Airlie
12-10-2015, 02:36 PM
I wonder whether he will deal with any heads of state, they're all idiots. If he meets any of them, he'll have them crawl here to him.

Sky Blue
12-10-2015, 02:41 PM
Good point regarding the petition. Why would it have been OK to admit him to the UK, in the wake of his comments about Mexicans, but now to suggest a pause in Muslim immigration to his own country in the wake of a terror event here, why, he should be barred from entering the UK?

What do the Brits have against Mexicans?

TomF
12-10-2015, 02:42 PM
Straws and camels' backs I suspect, SB. The slur against Mexicans was unpleasant, but there was likely some hope that it was a gaffe. Perhaps some hoped his obstinacy sticking by it was just Trump playing a theatrical "character." It was an unfortunate lapse, but by doubling-down, Trump could turn an ugly gaffe into a demonstration of his courage and inability to be bullied by the PC of the world. Courage can be admirable, even in a bad cause - it's why his polls keep rising.

The recent remarks show that it wasn't a gaffe or unfortunate lapse. That Trump's statements like this aren't a "bug" in the programming but a "feature," and there's more to be lost by aligning with a racist xenophobe than to be gained by aligning with a straight-talking maverick.

Peerie Maa
12-10-2015, 02:44 PM
What do the Brits have against Mexicans?
What do Mexicans have against Mexicans?
Quite a lot it seems :D
http://www.forbes.com/sites/doliaestevez/2015/08/31/is-the-mexican-government-afraid-to-speak-out-against-donald-trump/

skuthorp
12-10-2015, 02:44 PM
We are sending a superannuated ex politician to the US as Ambassador. Basically to get him out of the country where he can't harm the present PM. Don and he might even get on.

varadero
12-10-2015, 02:48 PM
We do not like it here in Scotland if you disrespect the Mhulla Kintyre....

S.V. Airlie
The ocean between the American Continent and the land across the sea is mighty wide. European countries don't habitually comment or get involved on those fights(?) among the Americas unless they are forced to be included in one. The US didn't enter WW1, muchless WW2 until it was militarily attacked..

John of Phoenix
Don't you think that it would be a tad pretentious of the UK to take over Mexico's responsibility of defending Mexicans? I do.

There is not much on the web from Mexicans on Fart. This is the first non UK comment that I found on Google. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/07/06/mexican-elites-secretly-agree-with-trump.html

and

:D Piñata Boy lives! :D

http://specials-images.forbesimg.com/imageserve/10ee7ee772b74f73964dc4dc53ef3ecd/640x0.jpg?fit=scale

S.V. Airlie
12-10-2015, 02:52 PM
WOW, Candy for brains, how nice!

Sky Blue
12-10-2015, 02:58 PM
the recent remarks show that it wasn't a gaffe

But the recent remarks, TomF, are not nearly as bigoted and hateful as the remarks made against Mexicans. The recent remarks were a statement of proposed immigration policy, xenophobic as they no doubt are, but which remarks echoed calls from political leaders in France and other European nations, including in Sweden, Holland, Germany and any number of Eastern European states.

But Mr. Trump says it regarding matters in his own nation and the Scots take away his honorary degree?

This is just so much more virtue signaling and political opportunism. The dishonesty inherent in it makes it worse than what Trump is doing.

skuthorp
12-10-2015, 03:00 PM
Piñata Boy is still hogging the headlines, that does him no harm at all. Hang on to your hats.

When it comes to cases I do not think the US citizenry will elect Trump as Pres. I think they are not so uncaring of their own country. But it's not out of the question. If enough people are pi55ed with Washington insiders and think a 'protest vote' is safe enough who knows?

S.V. Airlie
12-10-2015, 03:02 PM
But Mr. Trump says it regarding matters in his own nation .SB

Trumps says a lot of things but, even he should realize the influence of the US influences the world. Or do you disagree with that too?

Peerie Maa
12-10-2015, 03:03 PM

The ocean between the American Continent and the land across the sea is mighty wide. European countries don't habitually comment or get involved on those fights(?) among the Americas unless they are forced to be included in one. The US didn't enter WW1, muchless WW2 until it was militarily attacked..

But Mr. Trump says it regarding matters in his own nation and the Scots take away his honorary degree?

You have had two perfectly sound answers to that. Now, be told.

skuthorp
12-10-2015, 03:07 PM
If Trump wins even the primary the 'rest of the world' will have some serious thinking to do. Possibly not before time.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
12-10-2015, 03:11 PM
I can hardly wait for the trump tweet on this event....

S.V. Airlie
12-10-2015, 03:13 PM
Starting with "Those who took away my ready for hanging Award, are just idiots".

Sky Blue
12-10-2015, 03:16 PM
A tad pretentious? Pretension is wading into an American domestic policy squabble having little or nothing to do with your own nation and virtue signaling on top of it, but not until local issues and persons are implicated. It is dishonest.

Is this woman on the UK's excluded list? Should she be? She has gone a Hell of a lot farther down the instant rat hole than Mr. Trump has.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M75cbf70e9ccbbd5bde73466b840acd11H2&w=299&h=200&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Peerie Maa
12-10-2015, 03:17 PM
I can hardly wait for the trump tweet on this event....

You read it here first:D
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/674622875521974272

S.V. Airlie
12-10-2015, 03:19 PM
Sky Blue, it's obvious you don't have much of a clue with inter relationships between countries. There is no reason to have one a converstaion with one who doesn't. Have a good day.

Sky Blue
12-10-2015, 03:20 PM
How about this man? I do know that he was on the list, but his listing was withdrawn at some point and he traveled to England to make an address, and did so, under threat of his life. Hasn't he had a whole lot more to say about Muslims and Muslim immigration than Mr. Trump ever will?

And he got to come. What gives?

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.Mec8a08d2b18275cee3cb71dd37684c9eo1&w=207&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Peerie Maa
12-10-2015, 03:21 PM
A tad pretentious? Pretension is wading into an American domestic policy squabble having little or nothing to do with your own nation and virtue signaling on top of it, but not until local issues and persons are impacted. It is dishonest.

Fart did not keep it as "an American domestic policy squabble". If he did he would not have bought down the UK response onto his bigoted head, now would he? Sky, throw out the shovel and stop digging, you are looking more ridiculous every post.

Sky Blue
12-10-2015, 03:26 PM
You're still here, Nick. :) My "digging" as you say, and the logic being employed in it, is being considered, followed and judged for cogency.

I'll let those persons have their considerations on it and be pleased with that.

TomF
12-10-2015, 03:34 PM
We do not like it here in Scotland if you disrespect the Mhulla Kintyre....Applause. :D

isla
You should probably rethink that analysis, Nick, as I hardly think the University believes that Mr. Trump's stated bigotries are meaningless to his status as ambassador unless and until they reach local citizens.

At least I hope not, as that would render such persons as ugly and bigoted as he is, and perhaps even worse than that for their pretense that they are in fact not so.

You seem to be a bit confused. The university's decision to cancel Trump's honorary degree, and the Scottish government's decision to revoke his role as business ambassador are two separate events. Still, you can be forgiven your selective snarkiness because I know you speak from a standpoint of complete ignorance of Trump's history in Scotland. Be assured, his comments about Mexicans did not go unnoticed here, nor any of his other insensitive xenophobic comments. For example, Trump owns Turnberry golf course, which this year hosted the British Women's Open. But it nearly didn't, because the organizers, the St Andrews-based Ladies Golf Union, were so pi$$ed off by Trump's Mexican remarks that they threatened to call the whole thing off, but with only a few weeks to go before the event it was decided to continue. Trump has pi$$ed off a lot of people in Scotland over the last few years, so let's just say that his Muslim comments were the straw that broke the camel's back.

Peerie Maa
You're still here, Nick. :) My "digging" as you say, and the logic being employed in it, is being considered, followed and judged for cogency.

I'll let those persons have their considerations on it and be pleased with that.

Laugh. :D You are banging on about British society, but don't understand British idioms. Luv you man.:D

TomF
12-10-2015, 03:51 PM
But the recent remarks, TomF, are not nearly as bigoted and hateful as the remarks made against Mexicans. The recent remarks were a statement of proposed immigration policy, xenophobic as they no doubt are, but which remarks echoed calls from political leaders in France and other European nations, including in Sweden, Holland, Germany and any number of Eastern European states.Did any receive honorary degrees from Robert Gordon University? Before or after they make their xenophobic remarks? For consistency, maybe the U should revoke theirs too - take it up with them.
But Mr. Trump says it regarding matters in his own nation and the Scots take away his honorary degree? Trump's "own nation," but Robert Gordon University's "own" honorary doctorate - Trump didn't earn it by sitting exams and writing a dissertation, eh? Can't a University revoke an honour if they figure the person turned out to be dishonourable? Folks get stripped of the Order of Canada now and again ...

This is just so much more virtue signaling and political opportunism. The dishonesty inherent in it makes it worse than what Trump is doing.Don't be so hard on yourself, SB. I agree that you're indulging in virtue signaling, political opportunism and dishonesty ... but you're not as bad as Trump by a long shot. :D

Hwyl
12-10-2015, 04:07 PM

Perhaps your funniest post ever (I hope it was intentional).

S.V. Airlie
12-10-2015, 04:08 PM
Perhaps your funniest post ever (I hope it was intentional).What do you think?:)

Sky Blue
12-10-2015, 04:12 PM
I'm sure losing face is no skin off...

Well, that's right. I mean, who is the intended audience for these moves in Scotland? Mr. Trump? The legions of American voters in Scotland?

dbrown
12-10-2015, 04:12 PM
You're not smart enough to be that funny.
What do you think?http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/smilies/icon7.png

TomF
12-10-2015, 04:14 PM
Well, that's right. I mean, who is the intended audience for these moves in Scotland? Mr. Trump? The legions of American voters in Scotland?Prospective donors to Robert Gordon University.

Sky Blue
12-10-2015, 04:16 PM
Prospective donors to Robert Gordon University.

Exactly. Thank you, TomF. :) I imagine very few of them will be from hailing from Mexico.

Michael D. Storey
12-10-2015, 04:27 PM
I'm sure losing face is no skin off his ass.Oh, what a Bard thou art

S.V. Airlie
12-10-2015, 04:42 PM
Oh, what a Bard thou artGlad you recognize it.

CWSmith
12-10-2015, 05:03 PM

<spew> Talk about a mixed metaphor! :)

S.V. Airlie
12-10-2015, 05:06 PM
As Trump would say if the post was his, "it's a fantastic metaphor if I say so myself".

oznabrag
12-10-2015, 05:53 PM

Perhaps your funniest post ever (I hope it was intentional).

<spew> Talk about a mixed metaphor! :)

Score 3 points for Jamie!

CWSmith
12-10-2015, 06:00 PM
Score 3 points for Jamie!

Seriously, it's priceless. I'll remember it for a very long time.

isla
12-10-2015, 06:06 PM
Well, that's right. I mean, who is the intended audience for these moves in Scotland? Mr. Trump? The legions of American voters in Scotland?

I don't know about legions, but my wife, and a couple of our friends who are also American citizens, signed a petition to that effect. I also signed it as did many thousands of other people, including staff and students from all three local universities. So rather than targeting an "intended audience" the university was simply responding to both student and public opinion. In a statement, the university said Mr Trump's comments had been "wholly incompatible" with its ethos and values.

TomF
12-11-2015, 12:46 PM
Exactly. Thank you, TomF. :) I imagine very few of them will be from hailing from Mexico.You intentionally (I hope) missed my point, SB.

No, few Robert Gordon donors are Mexican, I'd imagine. Probably most are Scots, deeply imbued with the legendary Scottish thrift. They won't open their wallets to places that don't align with their values. When Trump revealed himself to be a steaming pile of dog shyte, the donors looked to see whether Robert Gordon University still reflected the values of its increasingly multi-cultural city, alumni and student body, or had covertly morphed into something else.

Their action reassured donors that the University is what folks thought it was, and their donors' existing philanthropic arrangements could simply carry on. It wasn't an intervention into American politics at all, it was a regional Scottish institution doing risk-management and expressing its values within its own sphere to buffer the impact of international events.

It really isn't always about you guys, eh? ;)

bobbys
12-11-2015, 12:59 PM
England Invaded the Falklands for oil, , They believe a island thousands on miles away is Blighty.

They lost all moral authority.

John of Phoenix
12-11-2015, 01:05 PM
You mean the Argentines invaded the Falklands for oil.

Garret
12-11-2015, 01:07 PM
You mean the Argentines invaded the Falklands for oil.

Sheesh - haven't you caught up with the revision? It used to be that they invaded, but not any more - now it's the evil Brits. Get with the program! ;)

Peerie Maa
12-11-2015, 01:09 PM
Has bobbys restarted stalking us Brits with his hypocrisy again?

isla
12-11-2015, 01:26 PM
Has bobbys restarted stalking us Brits with his hypocrisy again?

Perhaps he and Sky Blue have a special relationship?

http://www.orbsbooks.co.uk/images/politics/lapdog.jpg

S.V. Airlie
12-11-2015, 02:37 PM
bobbys, show me this oil!

Peerie Maa
12-11-2015, 02:43 PM
bobbys, show me this oil!

Here you go Jamie.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/oilandgas/11545640/Race-is-on-to-tap-1bn-barrels-of-oil-in-the-Falkland-Islands.html
There has been talk of oil there for 40 odd years or more.

S.V. Airlie
12-11-2015, 02:50 PM
Link wouldn't work but, talk doesn't give me confidence that oil is actually there. I was in England during the war, there was no mention of any kind of oil reserves.

Garret
12-11-2015, 04:22 PM
Link worked fine for me. Only a lousy 1 billion barrels... ;)

Peerie Maa
12-11-2015, 04:28 PM
Link wouldn't work but, talk doesn't give me confidence that oil is actually there. I was in England during the war, there was no mention of any kind of oil reserves.

No one has yet drilled a producing well but it was being discussed in cabinet in the Wilson government. It's mentioned in the Wedgwood Benn diaries.

Sky Blue
12-11-2015, 06:18 PM
bobbys' hair is a little darker than that, Isla.

S.V. Airlie
12-11-2015, 06:26 PM
No one has yet drilled a producing well but it was being discussed in cabinet in the Wilson government. It's mentioned in the Wedgwood Benn diaries.So, it's been discussed for forty years! What are the chances? I discussed having lunch today. Didn't have it too busy.u

Peerie Maa
12-11-2015, 06:30 PM
So, it's been discussed for forty years! What are the chances? I discussed having lunch today. Didn't have it too busy.u

From the link that you could not open

Five years ago, hopes were raised that a new frontier for offshore oil production would soon be opened when the AIM-listed driller Rockhopper Exploration and its partners made a major discovery in the Sea Lion field area in the North Falkland Basin.

The company is now poised along with the field’s major shareholder, Premier Oil, to make a firm investment decision on the development of the prospect, which could then produce up to 60,000 barrels per day (bpd) of high-quality crude by the end of the decade.

S.V. Airlie
12-11-2015, 07:59 PM
I'm sorry I read it.

Sky Blue
12-12-2015, 01:11 AM
Piers Morgan calls it pretty straight in this piece. Good for him. I think his analysis is right on the mark. Petitions to ban Mr. Trump but no petitions to block returning ISIS fighters?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3354481/PIERS-MORGAN-Donald-Trump-s-Muslim-travel-ban-dumb-laid-Obama-dumber-says-Piers-Morgan.html

Peerie Maa
12-12-2015, 05:51 AM
Piers Morgan calls it pretty straight in this piece. Good for him. I think his analysis is right on the mark. Petitions to ban Mr. Trump but no petitions to block returning ISIS fighters?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3354481/PIERS-MORGAN-Donald-Trump-s-Muslim-travel-ban-dumb-laid-Obama-dumber-says-Piers-Morgan.html

Piers Morgan is widely thought of as a total tit, which is why he has moved his career to the US, and the Daily Mail is a rabid right-wing tabloid who would support anything pandering to the Little Englander anti foreigner mind set. You need some balance in your reading. Try the Guardian.

A view of Piers Morgan http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2012/11/piers-morgan-criticized-hated-than-ignored. I think this analysis is right on the mark :D

isla
12-12-2015, 06:06 AM

In another piece from his Mail Online column Morgan says this..

Donald, you’re wrong.
Your demand for all Muslims to be banned from America is so completely, utterly and dangerously wrong that I can’t just sit back and say nothing.

It’s not the first time I’ve disagreed with you.
We couldn’t share more different views about gun control, but you’re not alone in your opinion on that issue – at least 200 million Americans agree with you, not me. I understand that gun ownership and the right to bear arms are deeply entrenched parts of U.S. culture.
I watched all the mayhem you caused by insulting John McCain for being captured in Vietnam, and laughed because McCain’s big enough and strong enough to take care of himself which indeed he did.
I saw you being lambasted for abusing Mexicans, but felt on that occasion you stumbled on your words and never intended to imply, as some of your opponents were quick to suggest, that they’re all rapists and murderers.

But this is different.
There are plenty of legitimate arguments to make following the horrendous terror attack by two radicalised Muslims last week that killed 14 people and wounded scores of others.
It is very worrying that nobody seems to have picked up on their festering hatred for America before it was too late.

It’s even more absurd that they were able to build a legally acquired deadly arsenal in their home to commit their atrocity.
(Though even this is not quite as outrageous as the fact that people who ARE on the terror watch-list, and can’t fly on planes, are still able to buy guns and ammo legally in America.)

In light of this, it’s perfectly OK to call for tighter background checks on VISAs for people entering the United States. Every country should be looking at this area now as ISIS spreads its global jihad.
But what’s not OK is banning an entire people, a religion, from America.
For starters, it violates international law.
Second, it evokes hideous memories of the Nazi purge of Jews in World War II based solely on their religious ethnicity.
But perhaps most pertinently for you Donald is that when applied to U.S. citizens who happen to also be Muslim, your rule would be a clear, flagrant breach of the U.S. Constitution. A document you bow at the altar to during every debate about guns.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3350940/PIERS-MORGAN-Dear-Donald-m-biggest-fan-call-ban-Muslims-dangerously-wrong-bigoted-regretfully-Piers.html

In reference to the complaint about no petition being raised about returning jihadists, I would suggest that the purpose of a petition is to bring a matter of public opinion to the government's attention, or to persuade government to change some existing policy. But our government is already looking at ways of blocking the return of jihadists, although there are legal obstacles. Nevertheless, returning jihadists are routinely arrested and jailed.

This article is a year old, but serves to reinforce my point that a petition is unnecessary..
https://www.rt.com/uk/184396-cameron-ban-jihadists-return/

Vince Brennan
12-12-2015, 08:50 AM
Och, aye, laddie!... Have'ya nae gone tae Scottie McTavish-Gonzalez' Authentic Skye Taco Stand chain? Fine Mexican food, if you don't mind it boiled.

SB, could you be ANY less intelligent in your posts? I suggest three minutes with a World Atlas.

Shesh. Wotta Maroon.

Sky Blue
01-19-2016, 12:51 AM
Here's one take on the "debate" which apparently turned out with far more MP's arguing for Trump to come visit.

Not exactly a high water mark, and certainly a waste of time and resources. The Home Sect'y didn't even attend.

All in all, I have to say I'm a little disappointed. With all the build up, I guess I was hoping for a little more than this.

http://www.politico.eu/article/a-very-british-uk-debate-parliament-on-donald-trump-2016-elections-ban-public-petition/

bobbys
01-19-2016, 02:53 AM
The people that invade a island thousands of miles away, claim the oil , refuse to negotiate , will send their whole Navy ,air force, army to kill anyone dareing to dispute and will continue their outdated colonial ways will presume to lecture us on DT and Israel..

LOL.

Peerie Maa
01-19-2016, 04:18 AM
http://www.politico.eu/article/a-very-british-uk-debate-parliament-on-donald-trump-2016-elections-ban-public-petition/That report reads as though Mr Robert Colvile has never attended a parliamentary debate before. Odd for a political commentator. Perhaps he knows his target readers well.

For a more authoritative report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35345279

isla
01-19-2016, 05:41 AM
Shame on you SB, I'm sure you could have found a less biased report on the debate than one containing comments like this..

Not all MPs, I grant you — more a selection of parliament’s tweediest, stuffiest and most self-satisfied specimens.

Here are two of parliament's tweediest, stuffiest and most self-satisfied specimens..

Naz Shah - MP for Bradford
http://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_large/public/thumbnails/image/2015/05/09/20/v2AN69811125080515-Bradford--.jpg

Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh - SNP MP for Ochil & South Perthshire

http://www.orbsbooks.co.uk/images/politics/tasmina.jpg

Naz Shah argued in favour of not banning Trump. She is a Muslim and is MP for a constituency which has a large Muslim community. She said she would like to give Trump a guided tour around Bradford to show him he was wrong about Muslims in general.

Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh supported the idea of a ban, saying that she was appalled at the idea that under a Trump presidency she and her family might be denied entry to America.

skuthorp
01-19-2016, 06:40 AM
So, do we know yet? Is he in or out?

Peerie Maa
01-19-2016, 07:24 AM

The obligation was to debate the issue. There was no obligation to take a vote. I think that the consensus is to let him come, tell/show him that he is a wazzock, and treat him to a curry at a Pakistani curry house.

isla
01-19-2016, 07:30 AM

No decision yet. This kind of debate, resulting from a public petition, is not intended to have a decisive vote but is intended to inform the minister responsible for whatever the issue is about. In this case it is the Home Secretary Teresa May, who will make a decision in due course. It is highly unlikely that she will decide to ban Trump although..

Home Secretary Theresa May can - and does - prevent people from entering the UK because of things they have said. The Home Office says she does not use these powers lightly, only "if she considers their presence in the UK to be non-conducive to the public good" or if they are people who "seek to harm our society and who do not share our basic values".

In a rare intervention in US politics, Prime Minister David Cameron labelled Trump's comments "stupid and wrong" but said he did not support a ban, saying the tycoon would "unite us all against him" if he visited the UK.

slug
01-19-2016, 07:38 AM
the issue is domestic politics...anti Americanism has always sold very well in the UK.

anti Americanism is how the British salvage national pride

more significantly ...does anyone care about what the British think ?

Trump and Americans can just treat the UK as a flyover country.

American Foriegn investment can simply move east.

An American ban on all British would actually serve the UK well....it would slow down the brain drain of educated Poms fleeing the country for a better life and more opportunities in the US

Peerie Maa
01-19-2016, 08:00 AM
the issue is domestic politics...anti Americanism has always sold very well in the UK.

An American ban on all British would actually serve the UK well....it would slow down the brain drain of educated Poms fleeing the country for a better life and more opportunities in the US

If the Trump is equivalent to and represents everything American, the country of your birth (where are you living now?) is truly stuffed.
You are confusing contempt for a single wazzock with an opinion on the entire US population.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-19-2016, 08:15 AM
Which is not to say that he's the only wazzock

Peerie Maa
01-19-2016, 08:17 AM

True, as we witness on here. ;)

isla
01-19-2016, 08:48 AM
I'm not sure if Trump is capable of talking nicely to anybody, but if he became POTUS perhaps he could talk nicely to the French, or the Germans, and get this lot shifted back across the channel..

RAF Croughton is by far the most important military base run by the United States of America in Europe. A communications base in Northamptonshire, England, it operates one of Europe's largest military switchboards and processes approximately a third of all U.S. military communications in Europe.

When Charles de Gaulle wrote to his American counterpart in 1966 ordering that all US troops be removed from French soil within 12 months, President Lyndon Johnson responded by enquiring as to whether the edict included the removal of the contents of his country’s war cemeteries. The answer was no, but the subsequent removal of 70,000 personnel and 80,000 tonnes of materiel reinforced what has remained a cornerstone of US foreign policy – the use of the UK as Washington’s overseas military and intelligence bolthole of choice.

Or perhaps not..

A YouGov poll this week showed that two-thirds of Germans had a negative view of him. And the commentary written about Trump in Europe’s newspapers, from Paris to London to Berlin, is almost uniformly disparaging.

Sky Blue
01-19-2016, 09:05 AM
I was actually surprised by the number of MPs that were supportive of Trump, including one who said Britain could use more of the frank and direct talk that Trump exemplifies. Perhaps The Donald is appreciated more in the UK than some would care to admit. :)

Sky Blue
01-19-2016, 09:22 AM
That report reads as though Mr Robert Colvile has never attended a parliamentary debate before. Odd for a political commentator. Perhaps he knows his target readers well.

For a more authoritative report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35345279

I stopped reading right at the beginning where a Mr. Flynn spoke of Mr. Trump "banning all Muslims from the US."

What a childish and self-indulgent display of virtue signaling this whole charade has turned out to be.

Peerie Maa
01-19-2016, 09:59 AM
I was actually surprised by the number of MPs that were supportive of Trump, including one who said Britain could use more of the frank and direct talk that Trump exemplifies. Perhaps The Donald is appreciated more in the UK than some would care to admit. :)

I stopped reading right at the beginning where a Mr. Flynn spoke of Mr. Trump "banning all Muslims from the US."

What a childish and self-indulgent display of virtue signaling this whole charade has turned out to be.

So you quoted from a report that you had not read? Clever. :D

Peerie Maa
01-19-2016, 10:11 AM
From the Torygraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/donald-trump/12105940/donald-trump-muslim-ban-uk-debate-live.html#update-20160118-1802
Includes video of some speakers.

RonW
01-19-2016, 10:40 AM

Yep, well put, I agree.....the red lion has been reduced to a multi color lap dog......I say Trump should just give them the finger and continue on...

slug
01-19-2016, 10:51 AM
Yah...looks like they will ban him...and insist that he invests a billion in the UK.

jejejejejeje

british are full of hot air....good to see it being vented.

isla
01-19-2016, 10:53 AM

At least we won't have to trip over people like this in Scotland, or whenever we go to London or Stratford-on-Avon :d

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_o7HX0CwpGHE/TJo7x9V7nSI/AAAAAAAAAX4/h6b7GRQoR3Y/s1600/1256247960_01995a6b5e.jpg

vive la différence!

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000349361/polls_difference_european_vs_american_girlssized_4 253_189404_answer_7_xlarge.jpeg

Sky Blue
01-19-2016, 10:55 AM
Even poor Mr. Cameron (whom I admire) was forced to signal virtue by calling Mr. Trump's proposal "stupid and wrong" (despite it being a purely domestic US matter) while out of the other side his mouth now has created a niqab issue and with it any number of other issues in his de-radicalization programme far in excess of anything Mr. Trump has proposed.

This one comes off with our good British friends looking rather silly.

Breakaway
01-19-2016, 10:58 AM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?p=4772138#post4772138)

True, as we witness on here. ;)

Ahem... goes both ways, mates! ;)In fact, mayhap we should elect a Grand Wazzock each month, to rule as Vice-BROTM? :D

Kevin

slug
01-19-2016, 11:09 AM
At least we won't have to trip over people like this in Scotland, or whenever we go to London or Stratford-on-Avon :d

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_o7HX0CwpGHE/TJo7x9V7nSI/AAAAAAAAAX4/h6b7GRQoR3Y/s1600/1256247960_01995a6b5e.jpg

vive la différence!

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000349361/polls_difference_european_vs_american_girlssized_4 253_189404_answer_7_xlarge.jpeg

There it is .....classic sneering British anti americanism

i love it.

im going to vote for Trump just to get up your nose.

Peerie Maa
01-19-2016, 11:13 AM
Even poor Mr. Cameron (whom I admire) was forced to signal virtue by calling Mr. Trump's proposal "stupid and wrong" (despite it being a purely domestic US matter) while out of the other side his mouth now has created a niqab issue and with it any number of other issues in his de-radicalization programme far in excess of anything Mr. Trump has proposed.

This one comes off with our good British friends looking rather silly.

What niqab issue? That witnesses in court are not veiled and so impossible to identify?
‘I think we should back those institutions that want to have sensible policies that actually have a particular purpose.’
He said he would be ‘very happy’ to look at a judge’s call for national guidelines on wearing the niqab (http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/16/muslim-woman-told-she-must-remove-veil-while-giving-evidence-in-court-4027444/).
‘Obviously, in court the jury needs to be able to look at someone’s face. I’ve sat on a jury, that’s part of what you do,’ the prime minister continued.
‘When someone is coming into the country, an immigration officer needs to see someone’s face.

from http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/29/david-cameron-happy-to-ban-veil-in-certain-workplaces-4127398/ reporting an interview from Sept 2013. Not yet put in place though.

BTW Sky you are becoming as boring with your "virtue signalling" as bobbys with his over use of the word hypocrisy.

S.V. Airlie
01-19-2016, 11:14 AM
Sluggish, look at the obesity stats for the UK and the USA. It's not nec. anti Americanism, it's a fact and being pointed out as a difference between the two countries..

Sky Blue
01-19-2016, 11:22 AM
British anti-Americanism

That's what this boils down to, considering the perspective offered by the anti-radicalization scheme promoted by Mr. Cameron and the fact that any number of notoriously brutal tyrants and autocrats have and continue to come dancing into Britain to be feted, murderers really, but Mr. Trump says something that offends multiculturalist pieties and so he should be banned. In Britain these days, being rude is worse than killing people, at least if you'd like to visit the lovely green Isle. These are silly people.

As far as Nick's comment about virtue signalling, I suggest that he do a youtube search using those terms and see what comes up. :)

Peerie Maa
01-19-2016, 11:32 AM
As far as Nick's comment about virtue signalling, I suggest that he do a youtube search using those terms and see what comes up. :)

Why, would it stop you looking any less obsessed?

Sky Blue
01-19-2016, 11:44 AM
Why has no one started a petition in Britain to ban from re-entry returning citizens who have been fighting and killing for ISIS in Syria and Iraq?

RonW
01-19-2016, 12:25 PM
Why has no one started a petition in Britain to ban from re-entry returning citizens who have been fighting and killing for ISIS in Syria and Iraq?

Because it wouldn't be popular........................so what does that tell you about the queen's subjects ?

isla
01-19-2016, 12:44 PM
There it is .....classic sneering British anti americanism

i love it.

im going to vote for Trump just to get up your nose.

Don't worry Slug, I understand that scientists have recently isolated the humour gene, so if it's missing from your DNA you will be able to get an injection to restore it. Of course it will be free here in the UK, but in America it will cost $20,000. But not to worry, once it kicks in you will be able to laugh at the cost.

isla
01-19-2016, 12:52 PM

See #69 and #71 this thread.

bobbys
01-19-2016, 12:55 PM
Piers Moragan sez he is embarrassed the same Parliament that had not been bothered by one ISIS fighter returing to England is upset with DT.

A nation of appeasers..

bobbys
01-19-2016, 12:59 PM
King Salman of Saudi Arabia comes to Blighty and they roll out the red carpet despite his country has beheaded 50 people,

When did England become a nation of cowards afraid to speak up.

RonW
01-19-2016, 01:01 PM
Piers Moragan sez he is embarrassed the same Parliament that had not been bothered by one ISIS fighter returing to England is upset with DT.

A nation of appeasers..

I thought we signed a petition to deport this turd piers. I'm with Slug and voting for Trump just to piss people off...Guess I will have to write a resignation letter to Bernie..

slug
01-19-2016, 01:10 PM
Don't worry Slug, I understand that scientists have recently isolated the humour gene, so if it's missing from your DNA you will be able to get an injection to restore it. Of course it will be free here in the UK, but in America it will cost $20,000. But not to worry, once it kicks in you will be able to laugh at the cost.

No worries...

Its well established that The British inferiority complex and British anti americanism is very entrenched .

so entrenched that the BBC advises British Citizens immigrating to the US to......

http://s22.postimg.org/bp1l092zl/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ql047uee5/full/)
screen shot windows 7 (http://postimage.org/app.php)

Garret
01-19-2016, 01:20 PM
No worries...

Its well established that The British inferiority complex and British anti americanism is very entrenched .

so entrenched that the BBC advises British Citizens immigrating to the US to......

http://s22.postimg.org/bp1l092zl/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ql047uee5/full/)
screen shot windows 7 (http://postimage.org/app.php)

The important piece I got from your post is that you need to charge your phone.

S.V. Airlie
01-19-2016, 01:24 PM
From my travels, the citizens often have an anti American but, kinda like the Scots and being very frugal. What I have found though, it isn't the American people so much than the Am. Politics. There are exceptions.

I stopped one day biking near Ulapool. Rain of course and I was thoroughly soaked. The pub I stopped had a huge fire going and that gave me an opportunity to dry out a bit. While there, I ordered a bowl of leek soup, a pint and a ploughman's lunch. For the next 2 hours, I chatted with the propriater/owner of the pub about many things; the US, the politics, you name it. Had a second order of soup and another pint as well. Finally, being a bit drier and on a set schedule,I asked for a bill. Was told, I didn't have one! He said, I'm paying, your the first decent American I've ever met; gotta bunch of Am moonies down the road and I can't stand them!

So, I learned something, Scots are not as frugal as they come across and he learned
that all Americans are not like the Am Moonies down the road nor like those Am. who come through the door.

isla
01-19-2016, 01:29 PM
As I've said often enough on other threads, I have been happily married to an American citizen for over 40 years. Large extended in-law family stateside, and I visit frequently. There's only certain kinds of Americans I can't get along with ;)

slug
01-19-2016, 01:32 PM
Im sure...and I enjoy letting the air out of pompous Brits.

Sky Blue
01-19-2016, 01:33 PM
certain kinds of Americans

You're getting along fine, Isla. We're just having a little fun here... :)

birlinn
01-19-2016, 01:37 PM
King Salman of Saudi Arabia comes to Blighty and they roll out the red carpet despite his country has beheaded 50 people,

And how many does the US execute in a year, admittedly not by beheading?
And at the moment, it's still the UK, not England, if you don't mind.
Plus Northern Ireland.

S.V. Airlie
01-19-2016, 02:16 PM
http://www.michellehenry.fr/how_americans_see_europe.jpg

isla
01-19-2016, 02:49 PM
An American once asked me "where in England is Wales?" I was quite surprised, because most Americans have never heard of Wales :d

skuthorp
01-19-2016, 02:54 PM
Boy oh boy, the trolls are out in force in this thread.
And unfortunately they are being taken seriously enough to rate a reply.

TomF
01-19-2016, 03:06 PM
An American once asked me "where in England is Wales?" I was quite surprised, because most Americans have never heard of Wales :dTsk tsk, Isla. Most Americans have heard of whales. Many have even vaguely wanted to save one or two ... from something.

Perhaps the person who asked you was planning a holiday. A natural-history minded tourist might easily want to see English whales, perhaps after watching the changing of the Guard, or making a visit to Jane Austen to see some jousting. Don't mistake a shocking command of grammar for something more serious.

isla
01-19-2016, 03:06 PM
Boy oh boy, the trolls are out in force in this thread.
And unfortunately they are being taken seriously enough to rate a reply.

I have been known to live under a bridge and threaten to eat people who cross, but since that Billy Goats Gruff episode I'm keeping a low profile.

isla
01-19-2016, 03:12 PM
Tsk tsk, Isla. Most Americans have heard of whales. Many have even vaguely wanted to save one or two ... from something.

Perhaps the person who asked you was planning a holiday. A natural-history minded tourist might easily want to see English whales, perhaps after watching the changing of the Guard, or making a visit to Jane Austen to see some jousting. Don't mistake a shocking command of grammar for something more serious.

Have you ever seen the Prince of Whales? Funny looking fellow, blows his nose through the top of his head :p

TomF
01-19-2016, 03:14 PM
Have you ever seen the Prince of Whales? Funny looking fellow, blows his nose through the top of his head :pInconvenient for his milliner, I'd think.

lupussonic
01-19-2016, 05:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yw0bLHTOb0

isla
01-19-2016, 05:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yw0bLHTOb0

Thanks for that one! I've yet to see Trump in a kilt (the mind boggles) but I can remember ringing in Hogmanay with my parents and granny watching Andy Stewart's "White Heather Club" on a black and white telly.

PeterSibley
01-19-2016, 06:02 PM

Answer. Under Tony Blair , when he and John Howard were giving George Bush the Minor permission to destroy Iraq.

Peerie Maa
01-19-2016, 06:32 PM
I've yet to see Trump in a kilt (the mind boggles)

Nah, teuchters wear wellies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SguYlpm3ffQ

S.V. Airlie
01-19-2016, 06:44 PM
Well, his mother was Scottish!

bobbys
01-19-2016, 11:08 PM
An American once asked me "where in England is Wales?" I was quite surprised, because most Americans have never heard of Wales :d.

tom Jones and Raquel Welch are Welch.. Ok maybe not Raquel but she is hot anyways!

Sky Blue
01-19-2016, 11:42 PM
It continues to astonish me, though, how these petition people reveling in their virtue remain utterly oblivious to how offensive it is to petition one's government to ban someone from your country because they said something you didn't like. It is one of the more ridiculous displays of illiberal political theater I've seen, all the more so for it having occurred in Britain, where the ideal of political tolerance to expression liberty was born.

There is a vain hypocrisy to the intolerant treatment of intellectual liberty in Britain, as this sad event shows, clothing itself as it does in sensitive, multicultural piety, these people forgetting in their arrogance that the relevant matter had nothing at all to do with Britain in the first place.

leikec
01-19-2016, 11:57 PM
I firmly believe that it is a bad idea to try and say the word 'schedule' the British way while eating soup.

Jeff C

Sky Blue
01-20-2016, 12:03 AM
I firmly believe that it is a bad idea to try and say the word 'schedule' the British way while eating soup.

Maybe start out seeing if you can walk and chew gum at the same time. Work your way up to the soup.

ShagRock
01-20-2016, 12:07 AM
There is a vain hypocrisy to the intolerant treatment of intellectual liberty

If you speak it, you have to wear it.

Sky Blue
01-20-2016, 12:08 AM
A little unwieldy then? OK

ShagRock
01-20-2016, 12:23 AM
Aye. The unwieldy ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s11BuatTuXk

Sky Blue
01-20-2016, 12:28 AM
Very well. Any American who says "schedule" in the British way, however, should be put in a headlock and given a good hard noogie. :)

ShagRock
01-20-2016, 12:42 AM
Very well. Any American who says "schedule" in the British way, however, should be put in a headlock and given a good hard noogie. :)

West coast boys are apt to have limited experience with east coast history. Some have even been known to turn 'tits up to Sunday'.

leikec
01-20-2016, 01:36 AM
West coast boys are apt to have limited experience with east coast history. Some have even been known to turn 'tits up to Sunday'.

Even worse...some of them really do have an uncle named Bob.

Jeff C

ShagRock
01-20-2016, 04:15 AM
Even worse...some of them really do have an uncle named Bob. Jeff C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFhFiLmzIpk