PDA

View Full Version : punt

Paul Pless
12-09-2015, 10:03 AM
http://www.danheller.com/images/Europe/England/Cambridge/Nite/nite-boats-1-big.jpg

dbrown
12-09-2015, 10:13 AM
Looks like fun. Where is that?

Peerie Maa
12-09-2015, 10:17 AM
Looks like fun. Where is that?

If you right click on the image and go to "View image info" it will give you the website, in this case it is Cambridge.

ron ll
12-09-2015, 11:13 AM
Whatever happened to the drop kick?

dbrown
12-09-2015, 11:38 AM
Well I learned something today. Thanks
If you right click on the image and go to "View image info" it will give you the website, in this case it is Cambridge.

Peerie Maa
12-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Well I learned something today. Thanks

Does not always give you useful data, if the image is on pinterest it will tell you next to nothing.

Paul Pless
12-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Does not always give you useful data, if the image is on pinterest it will tell you next to nothing.it can also at times lead one down a pr0n rabbit hole :D

Gib Etheridge
12-09-2015, 01:24 PM
Looks like somebody's got a nice little building and renting business going. How is fishing in those canals?

Peerie Maa
12-09-2015, 01:47 PM
Looks like somebody's got a nice little building and renting business going. How is fishing in those canals?

You can rent punts on several RIVERS in the UK. Canterbury, possibly on the Thames at Richmond and at Oxford. I don't know whether any are built new, but all will be maintained in the off season.
As to fishing the rivers will have coarse fish, carp rudd etc.

CWSmith
12-09-2015, 01:50 PM
Nice to see "punt" used as a noun for a change.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
12-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Scudamores' Magdalen bridge punt station, on the Cam. The building on the left of the picture is the Pepys Library of Magdalene College. This is the lower of the two lower river punt stations; the upper one is at The Anchor, where one may also hire a punt for the Granta - the upper river - and punt to Grantchester, where there are muffins still for tea but the clock is no longer stopped at ten to three.

CWSmith
12-09-2015, 06:23 PM
. . . where there are muffins still for tea but the clock is no longer stopped at ten to three.

Seriously? All that detail and no explanation? More, please.

The Bigfella
12-09-2015, 06:50 PM
1. The Old Vicarage, Grantchester

(Café des Westens, Berlin, May 1912)

JUST now the lilac is in bloom,

All before my little room;

And in my flower-beds, I think,

Smile the carnation and the pink;

And down the borders, well I know,

The poppy and the pansy blow…

Oh! there the chestnuts, summer through,

Beside the river make for you

A tunnel of green gloom, and sleep

Deeply above; and green and deep

The stream mysterious glides beneath,

Green as a dream and deep as death.

—Oh, damn! I know it! and I know

How the May fields all golden show,

And when the day is young and sweet,

Gild gloriously the bare feet

That run to bathe…

Du lieber Gott!

Here am I, sweating, sick, and hot,

And there the shadowed waters fresh

Lean up to embrace the naked flesh.

Temperamentvoll German Jews

Drink beer around;—and there the dews

Are soft beneath a morn of gold.

Here tulips bloom as they are told;

Unkempt about those hedges blows

An English unofficial rose;

And there the unregulated sun

Slopes down to rest when day is done,

And wakes a vague unpunctual star,

A slippered Hesper; and there are

Meads towards Haslingfield and Coton

Where das Betreten’s not verboten.

… would I were

In Grantchester, in Grantchester!—

Some, it may be, can get in touch

With Nature there, or Earth, or such.

And clever modern men have seen

A Faun a-peeping through the green,

And felt the Classics were not dead,

To glimpse a Naiad’s reedy head,

Or hear the Goat-foot piping low:…

But these are things I do not know.

I only know that you may lie

Day long and watch the Cambridge sky,

And, flower-lulled in sleepy grass,

Hear the cool lapse of hours pass,

Until the centuries blend and blur

In Grantchester, in Grantchester.…

Still in the dawnlit waters cool

His ghostly Lordship swims his pool,

And tries the strokes, essays the tricks,

Long learnt on Hellespont, or Styx.

Dan Chaucer hears his river still

Chatter beneath a phantom mill.

Tennyson notes, with studious eye,

How Cambridge waters hurry by…

And in that garden, black and white,

Creep whispers through the grass all night;

And spectral dance, before the dawn,

A hundred Vicars down the lawn;

Curates, long dust, will come and go

On lissom, clerical, printless toe;

And oft between the boughs is seen

The sly shade of a Rural Dean…

Till, at a shiver in the skies,

Vanishing with Satanic cries,

The prim ecclesiastic rout

Leaves but a startled sleeper-out,

Grey heavens, the first bird’s drowsy calls,

The falling house that never falls.

God! I will pack, and take a train,

And get me to England once again!

For England’s the one land, I know,

Where men with Splendid Hearts may go;

And Cambridgeshire, of all England,

The shire for Men who Understand;

And of that district I prefer

The lovely hamlet Grantchester.

For Cambridge people rarely smile,

Being urban, squat, and packed with guile;

And Royston men in the far South

Are black and fierce and strange of mouth;

At Over they fling oaths at one,

And worse than oaths at Trumpington,

And Ditton girls are mean and dirty,

And there’s none in Harston under thirty,

And folks in Shelford and those parts

Have twisted lips and twisted hearts,

And Barton men make Cockney rhymes,

And Coton’s full of nameless crimes,

And things are done you’d not believe

At Madingley on Christmas Eve.

Strong men have run for miles and miles,

When one from Cherry Hinton smiles;

Strong men have blanched, and shot their wives,

Rather than send them to St. Ives;

Strong men have cried like babes, bydam,

To hear what happened at Babraham.

But Grantchester! ah, Grantchester!

There’s peace and holy quiet there,

Great clouds along pacific skies,

And men and women with straight eyes,

Lithe children lovelier than a dream,

A bosky wood, a slumbrous stream,

And little kindly winds that creep

Round twilight corners, half asleep.

In Grantchester their skins are white;

They bathe by day, they bathe by night;

The women there do all they ought;

The men observe the Rules of Thought.

They love the Good; they worship Truth;

They laugh uproariously in youth;

(And when they get to feeling old,

They up and shoot themselves, I’m told)…

Ah God! to see the branches stir

Across the moon at Grantchester!

To smell the thrilling-sweet and rotten

Unforgettable, unforgotten

The Bigfella
12-09-2015, 06:53 PM
River-smell, and hear the breeze 120

Sobbing in the little trees.

Say, do the elm-clumps greatly stand

Still guardians of that holy land?

The chestnuts shade, in reverend dream,

The yet unacademic stream? 125

Is dawn a secret shy and cold

Anadyomene, silver-gold?

And sunset still a golden sea

From Haslingfield to Madingley?

And after, ere the night is born, 130

Do hares come out about the corn?

Oh, is the water sweet and cool,

Gentle and brown, above the pool?

And laughs the immortal river still

Under the mill, under the mill? 135

Say, is there Beauty yet to find?

And Certainty? and Quiet kind?

Deep meadows yet, for to forget

The lies, and truths, and pain?… oh! yet

Stands the Church clock at ten to three? 140

And is there honey still for tea?

Rupert Brooke 1887 - 1915

CWSmith
12-09-2015, 08:29 PM
I've never seen that before. Is there a story behind that?

Nicholas Carey
12-10-2015, 12:10 AM
http://www.danheller.com/images/Europe/England/Cambridge/Nite/nite-boats-1-big.jpg

I'll bet you an Imperial pint or three, that that would be the river Cam...in Cambridge.

dnunn
03-29-2016, 10:59 AM
I'm a new member to the forum. Back in the 90's, I went to a weeklong workshop by WB at the Mariners Museum in Newport News, Va. Followed up by building a 12' Sea Urchin skiff (Stimson design) and oars (Culler)....Then hip surgery and bought a jon boat and motor....Just sold the jon boat and am thinking about building again.

I like this style boat. I found a plan (lines) in Chapelle's American Small Sailing Craft that looks about right. (I tried to attach a copy but no luck.) I would consider shortening the boat to the 16-18' range and maybe 4' floor width (for easy plywood construction). Maybe. It would be trailered and painted for utility use, although that was my intention when I started building the sea urchin skiff, but it turned into a yacht. (Who doesn't like the look of wood and varnish?) It would be rowed or maybe an elect trolling motor, on small tidal rivers in VA. And with enough floor space for an occasional nap or overnight. (When catfishing at night, sometimes, I'd rather stay out all night than load back on the trailer and drive home at 2-3a.m.) The old jon boat provided exactly 6" too small space. So tempting and so uncomfortable. The photo appears to show bulkheads but could be built with frames and/or thwarts as shown in Chapelle's drawing. I would consider, too, making the gunwale deck run full length rather than just at both ends.

Any thoughts?

David

oznabrag
03-29-2016, 11:08 AM
I'm a new member to the forum. Back in the 90's, I went to a weeklong workshop by WB at the Mariners Museum in Newport News, Va. Followed up by building a 12' Sea Urchin skiff (Stimson design) and oars (Culler)....Then hip surgery and bought a jon boat and motor....Just sold the jon boat and am thinking about building again.

I like this style boat. I found a plan (lines) in Chapelle's American Small Sailing Craft that looks about right. (I tried to attach a copy but no luck.) I would consider shortening the boat to the 16-18' range and maybe 4' floor width (for easy plywood construction). Maybe. It would be trailered and painted for utility use, although that was my intention when I started building the sea urchin skiff, but it turned into a yacht. (Who doesn't like the look of wood and varnish?) It would be rowed or maybe an elect trolling motor, on small tidal rivers in VA. And with enough floor space for an occasional nap or overnight. (When catfishing at night, sometimes, I'd rather stay out all night than load back on the trailer and drive home at 2-3a.m.) The old jon boat provided exactly 6" too small space. So tempting and so uncomfortable. The photo appears to show bulkheads but could be built with frames and/or thwarts as shown in Chapelle's drawing. I would consider, too, making the gunwale deck run full length rather than just at both ends.

Any thoughts?

David

Yes.

I think you should learn to post pics.

It isn't too hard.

Then, you should copy the pic in the OP, and post yerself a new thread in the Designs and plans section!

I like your idea.

Gerarddm
03-29-2016, 11:26 AM
There will always be an England.

dnunn
03-29-2016, 11:43 AM
Yes.

I think you should learn to post pics.

It isn't too hard.

Then, you should copy the pic in the OP, and post yerself a new thread in the Designs and plans section!

I like your idea.

Might be that I just registered to the forum. No 'new post/thread' option. Ditto with pic. I tried, but kept getting error that it exceeding size limit. Tried scanning the pic to pdf, still no go.

Peerie Maa
03-29-2016, 11:54 AM
Might be that I just registered to the forum. No 'new post/thread' option. Ditto with pic. I tried, but kept getting error that it exceeding size limit. Tried scanning the pic to pdf, still no go.

Read the FaQs. They tell you how.

POSTING PICTURES
Control yourself. Avoid posting BIG pictures. Keep them 500 pixels wide OR LESS. That way the dial-up folks aren't bogged-down, and the width doesn't make the page hard to read in a standard sized window. If you don't have Photoshop, try the freebie from gimp.org. We do NOT host your images. You need to have a place like Flickr, Imagestation, Photobucket, or one of the free other hosting outfits... or your own site. Per Thorne's 'How-to', here's how to post photos on this forum:

...FIRST - Don't attach photos. Only a tiny version will display.
...SECOND - Post the photos on the web. Use your own website or a free image hosting service like www.flickr.com, picasaweb.google.com, picturetrail, photobucket, etc. Images posted on Facebook must be set to "Public" access via the Edit option, not limited to "Friends".

...THIRD - Once posted on the web, right-click the photo to "Copy Image Location", or drag the photo to another browser window, then copy the image URL (web address) which will end in ".jpg". You can test by pasting the photo URL into the location field (http://* ) of a web browser and see if the photo displays. Remember that this process will not work for photos located just on your computer, on members-only Yahoo groups, or on Facebook unless set to "Public" view. (In Flickr - You usually have to first click the photo to bring up the black-framed viewer, then click the "View All Sizes" link near the top right. Then you can get the image URL by right-clicking the image. Alternately you can go to the Actions menu on the upper left, then select "View All Sizes".

...FOURTH - DO THIS EVERY TIME TO POST IMAGES IN THREADS: A. In any "Reply" window you can click the "insert image" icon --> a little yellow square icon with a dot at each corner, a tiny tree in the center. Depending on browser version and Reply/Edit status, this may bring up a simple window with a field to paste the URL into, or the "Add an Image" window described below.
B. If the window titled "Add an Image" comes up, click the "From URL" tab, paste the URL of the photo in the field, deselect the box for "Retrieve remote file and reference locally", then click the "INSERT IMAGE" button. The Forum software will resize some large images, so look at your post to see the actual displayed images.

oznabrag
03-29-2016, 12:00 PM
An existing pic on the web can simply be right-click/copy-image/paste into post.

In Firefox, anyway.

If it is your own pic, then yes, you will have to go through the rigamarole.

Peerie Maa
03-29-2016, 12:11 PM
The photo appears to show bulkheads but could be built with frames and/or thwarts as shown in Chapelle's drawing. I would consider, too, making the gunwale deck run full length rather than just at both ends.

Any thoughts?

David

The "bulkheads" are seat backs. The "gunwale deck" is the platform that the motive power stands on.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46194000/jpg/_46194482_punting_still.jpg
The best thing that you could do is build a scale model out of stiff card, and alter it until it looks right. Put a small transom in the stern to clamp the trolling motor to and you are good to go.