PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Baby Jesus

Ian McColgin
12-07-2015, 08:11 PM
[IMc - Giving new meaning to "rose from the Dead."]

Zombie nativity scene draws $500 a day fine from town as Christian protesters descend

TOM BOGGIONI
07 DEC 2015 AT 07:17 ET

http://www.rawstory.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/zombie_baby_jesus_ohio-800x430.jpg
Zombie baby Jesus - Fox19 screenshot

An Ohio man is under fire from local authorities for setting up a zombie nativity scene against town wishes, Fox 19 reports.

For the second year in a row, Jasen Dixon, who manages the “13 Rooms of Doom” haunted house, set up a manger featuring the undead honoring a zombie baby Jesus — despite being ordered to take it down last year.

According to Sycamore Township officials, Dixon needed a permit for the macabre display this year. But when he applied he was turned down, and now he faces a fine of $500 per day for every day he leaves it up.

Having gone through the same situation last year before dismantling it, Dixon began soliciting donations earlier this year to cover the expected financial sanctions.

Friday night on his Facebook page, Dixon wrote: “We were going to take it down, decided to leave it up, all the lights are re-hooked and open for business just no roof. Let’s see what happens.”

According to Dixon, his request for a permit was denied because local authorities said his display violated the town’s zoning code by taking up more than 35 percent of his front yard.

“I got all the paperwork and how it was wrote out, and it says as long as it’s not over 200-square -foot that I can have it without a permit, and it’s about 65 square foot,” he explained, adding that he thinks the council hates the zombie theme.

“I think it’s the theme,” he explained. “It just rubs people the wrong way. That’s why they’re coming down so hard on me.”

Dixon was already slapped with a $500 fine on Friday, but claims his neighbors are perfectly fine with the display.

“My father hates it. The other neighbors, they drive by and give me a thumbs-up,” he said. However, he noted that Christian protesters handed out pamphlets Sunday in front of his display reading “God frowns upon this manger display,” accompanied by Biblical verses.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/war-on-christmas-zombie-nativity-scene-draws-500-a-day-fine-from-town-as-christian-protesters-descend/

Paul Pless
12-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Now that is an irresistible thread title!

CWSmith
12-07-2015, 08:23 PM
That is a disturbing image, but nothing compared to the lawsuit that's coming.

S.V. Airlie
12-07-2015, 08:25 PM
That is a disturbing image, but nothing compared to the lawsuit that's coming. I don't know about that if

It's on his property
Free speech
And are there any ordinances against it.

Tom Montgomery
12-07-2015, 08:26 PM
WOW.

Do you think Dixon lawyered up before or after he set up the Zombie Jesus nativity scene?

CWSmith
12-07-2015, 08:33 PM
I don't know about that if

It's on his property
Free speech
And are there any ordinances against it.

That's what I mean. That "Christian" community is about to get its @ss handed to it by a judge.

Tom Montgomery
12-07-2015, 08:41 PM
Yanno... the best outcome would be if people simply rolled their eyes, passed it by, and ignored it.

But reactionary politicians in 21st century America just cannot do that.

S.V. Airlie
12-07-2015, 08:43 PM
Ignore it, It will go away in the media.

Canoeyawl
12-07-2015, 08:54 PM
I think it could go to the Supremes unless the town backs off. Some sharp lawyer is going to want to make a name for himself and it seems like a perfect opportunity.
The claim is that's within the zoning laws, and we have freedom of speech... freedom of religion... except maybe in Ohio.

Is that Zombie Baby Jesus holding a gun?
If it was a gun he could probably get the NRA to back him.

bobbys
12-07-2015, 08:59 PM
What is Yer take on this IAN?

BrianW
12-07-2015, 09:09 PM
Yanno... the best outcome would be if people simply rolled their eyes, passed it by, and ignored it.

But reactionary politicians in 21st century America just cannot do that.

Hope you're sitting down, because I agree.

BrianW
12-07-2015, 09:12 PM
The thread title reminded me of a question I have (but haven't researched)...

In this song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP-fNQzaEJ0

...is Jesus the zombie?

BTW, she has more video's which are worth listening to.

Ian McColgin
12-07-2015, 09:20 PM
I find in mildly funny in the way one might expect from a guy who runs a haunted house.

The Bigfella
12-07-2015, 09:28 PM
You guys need freedom from religion.... which is why my 'murican neighbour moved here, btw.

Rich Jones
12-07-2015, 09:38 PM
Freedom of speech and all that. He's just demonstrating to the world what a moron he is. Then again, I think anyone who spends a fortune and wastes a ton of time filling their lawns with holiday decorations is a moron.

Breakaway
12-08-2015, 12:13 AM
This guy's execution was better, IMHO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoKwgSs3kOk

Kevin

moTthediesel
12-08-2015, 08:19 AM
Don't involve civil authorities, just have Pat Robertson issue a fatwa against him.

McMike
12-08-2015, 08:30 AM
This guys got it wrong. Jesus wasn't a zombi until his mid-thirties after he was crucified and his killers forgot to destroy his brain.

Iceboy
12-08-2015, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the video Brian. I now have some listening for the rest of the day.
Jim...

The thread title reminded me of a question I have (but haven't researched)...

In this song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP-fNQzaEJ0

...is Jesus the zombie?

BTW, she has more video's which are worth listening to.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
12-08-2015, 11:36 AM
Now, just imagine if the guy put a Zombie Mohammed on the front lawn of his house. Death threats from abroad, and a whole host of people decrying the lack of respect for Islam. Because it's Jesus, he can sue his detractors.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
12-08-2015, 11:52 AM
I believe in God,
the Father almighty,
Creator of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died and was buried;
he descended into hell;
on the third day he rose again from the dead;
he ascended into heaven,
and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty;
from there he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting. Amen

"And that, Your Honour, is the case for the Defence!"

;)

BrianY
12-08-2015, 12:46 PM
Now, just imagine if the guy put a Zombie Mohammed on the front lawn of his house. Death threats from abroad, and a whole host of people decrying the lack of respect for Islam. Because it's Jesus, he can sue his detractors.

Yes, it's all so horribly unfair, isn't it? I mean, where's the justice in it? It makes me so mad, I want to stamp my foot!

TomF
12-08-2015, 01:11 PM
I saw a brilliant photo of a "zombie walk" once, with a zombie Jesus carrying his cross ... :D

bobbys
12-08-2015, 02:59 PM
I find in mildly funny in the way one might expect from a guy who runs a haunted house.

Post the Danish cartoon pictures and we will see if Yer "humor" is across the board.

Ian McColgin
12-08-2015, 03:43 PM
Glad we don't have anti-blasphemy laws but it must be said that, unlike our right's rhetoric, at least the laws were applied equitably. I don't support any form of censorship, not even the censorship of bullying bad taste which the initial contest-study really way. So, I'd not support laws here such as the Danes have, but I certainly understand the impulse and it's yet to be shown who's more right in the long run. Perhaps the Danes have their own Donald Trump but I've not heard of that.

Just as laws limiting freedom create problems, so also unfettered free speech can easily degenerate into racist bullying. Sometimes it's hard to tell which is worse.

Satire has my respect when someone punches over his or her weight class. For example, in our nation, most examples of white "humorists" skewering black people really is just racist bullying while Richard Pryor, for example, making fun of white foibles is really funny.

Not every gag is funny to every person, nor should it be.

bobbys
12-08-2015, 04:11 PM

Post the Danish cartoon pictures and we will see if Yer "humor" is across the board.

Guess his " humor" is restricted to Christianity.....

BrianY
12-08-2015, 04:12 PM

We're so lucky that our Christian brethren are such good sports and are able to react in such calm and good-humored ways to such harmless fun. Those savage Muslims, on the other hand just cannot act like civilized, rational people! It's so unfair that we westerners cannot poke fun at their deeply held beliefs without risking some sort of violent reaction! This is, of course but one more indication of the superiority of Christians and Christianity over those primitive brutes and their so-called "religion".

Ian McColgin
12-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Salman Rushdie has courage. A cowardly jerk troll proves nothing with taunts about posting an anti-Islam cartoon here. No one cares.

As I explained, it's bullying, not satire, if you're not punching at least at if not above your weight class. In the US, that means that yes, it's fine for a person like myself to make fun of white people, of men, and of Christians. Given my social circle, I also make fun of gays, lesbians, transgendered, bisexuals, metrosexuals, and sailors; who may be any or all of the preceding.

You have freedom to make lame and failed jokes about whomever you like. Everyone does here. I may despise your humor. Perhaps even despise you. But I'll not threaten your right to be stupid in print or picture.

bobbys
12-08-2015, 05:03 PM
Salman Rushdie has courage. A cowardly jerk troll proves nothing with taunts about posting an anti-Islam cartoon here. No one cares.

As I explained, it's bullying, not satire, if you're not punching at least at if not above your weight class. In the US, that means that yes, it's fine for a person like myself to make fun of white people, of men, and of Christians. Given my social circle, I also make fun of gays, lesbians, transgendered, bisexuals, metrosexuals, and sailors; who may be any or all of the preceding.

You have freedom to make lame and failed jokes about whomever you like. Everyone does here. I may despise your humor. Perhaps even despise you. But I'll not threaten your right to be stupid in print or picture.

I would be mad too and lash out at anyone that proved me a hypocrite.

bobbys
12-08-2015, 05:06 PM
Now, just imagine if the guy put a Zombie Mohammed on the front lawn of his house. Death threats from abroad, and a whole host of people decrying the lack of respect for Islam. Because it's Jesus, he can sue his detractors..

Well Actully Lorettie might be proscuting in the senerio you have presented.

John of Phoenix
12-08-2015, 05:08 PM
I would be mad too and lash out at anyone that proved me a hypocrite.Rock The Celebration, alvin.

Peerie Maa
12-08-2015, 05:12 PM

I would be mad too and lash out at anyone that proved me a hypocrite.

Been there, done that, awaiting the T shirt.

Daniel Noyes
12-08-2015, 06:27 PM
poor little guy... looks like he must have eaten a Chipotle burrito!

Chip-skiff
12-08-2015, 06:49 PM
There was a book, Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin, (and a film based on it, directed by Roman Polanski) that seemed to me an inversion of the Christ legend. Both the book and the film did well. But I don't recall any protests, lawsuits, etc.

Daniel Noyes
12-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Salman Rushdie has courage. A cowardly jerk troll proves nothing with taunts .

Ian, mabey your being a little too harsh on your self... I said "Mabey"

Peter Malcolm Jardine
12-08-2015, 08:36 PM
We're so lucky that our Christian brethren are such good sports and are able to react in such calm and good-humored ways to such harmless fun. Those savage Muslims, on the other hand just cannot act like civilized, rational people! It's so unfair that we westerners cannot poke fun at their deeply held beliefs without risking some sort of violent reaction! This is, of course but one more indication of the superiority of Christians and Christianity over those primitive brutes and their so-called "religion".

It's not about being good sports, or any other rational reaction to an attack or satirical display about a religion. This is about how the radical muslim population is running the worldwide Islamic agenda, and how Muslims are letting it happen. We turn a blind eye to human rights violations in Saudi Arabia done in the name of Islam, because they are 'allies'? The question is, why are they allies? Certainly not for sharing the same values in terms of human rights. It is a strategic and military alliance. Shame on us.

As for radical Islam, tell me with a straight face that the Muslim community is unaware of any of their members who are radicalized, and/or spent time travelling to known ISIL controlled areas. The moderate Muslim community would prefer this problem go away, rather than have to inform on any of these people. I understand that, because there is some risk in being an informant. Nevertheless, radical Islam is an Islamic problem. Until that community not only recognizes it is their problem, and more importantly acts on it, things are not likely to change. This is a world wide problem, not a middle eastern problem. We don't want to spend anytime looking at the root issues, only at the extreme elements and acts. Radical Islam doesn't happen in the grocery store. It ferments in the Mosque, and with Islamic religious leaders. While they are not the majority, they are still known to more moderate muslims. We need their help.

I don't have a dog in this hunt. I'm not a Christian, or a Muslim, or anything else. I deplore how religion in general has created conflict in this world, and continues to do so. I think Christians have a responsibility to inform on members of their congregation that intend to shoot up planned parenthood centers, just as I think Muslims have the same responsibility to report members of their congregation that start to verbalize radical Islamic ideas. These kinds of behaviour and conversation are known to both communities. How we deal with it is the important part.

Ian McColgin
12-08-2015, 09:03 PM
"Ian, mabey your being a little too harsh on your self... I said "Mabey"" [#35]

Sorry. I'm not getting the reference.

BrianY
12-09-2015, 02:54 PM
It's not about being good sports, or any other rational reaction to an attack or satirical display about a religion. This is about how the radical muslim population is running the worldwide Islamic agenda, and how Muslims are letting it happen. We turn a blind eye to human rights violations in Saudi Arabia done in the name of Islam, because they are 'allies'? The question is, why are they allies? Certainly not for sharing the same values in terms of human rights. It is a strategic and military alliance. Shame on us.

As for radical Islam, tell me with a straight face that the Muslim community is unaware of any of their members who are radicalized, and/or spent time travelling to known ISIL controlled areas. The moderate Muslim community would prefer this problem go away, rather than have to inform on any of these people. I understand that, because there is some risk in being an informant. Nevertheless, radical Islam is an Islamic problem. Until that community not only recognizes it is their problem, and more importantly acts on it, things are not likely to change. This is a world wide problem, not a middle eastern problem. We don't want to spend anytime looking at the root issues, only at the extreme elements and acts. Radical Islam doesn't happen in the grocery store. It ferments in the Mosque, and with Islamic religious leaders. While they are not the majority, they are still known to more moderate muslims. We need their help.

I don't have a dog in this hunt. I'm not a Christian, or a Muslim, or anything else. I deplore how religion in general has created conflict in this world, and continues to do so. I think Christians have a responsibility to inform on members of their congregation that intend to shoot up planned parenthood centers, just as I think Muslims have the same responsibility to report members of their congregation that start to verbalize radical Islamic ideas. These kinds of behaviour and conversation are known to both communities. How we deal with it is the important part.

You get no argument from me on any of this.

What I do object to is the inevitable reaction from conservatives (never known a lib to do this, but it is possible I suppose) whenever anyone dares to poke fun at Christianity along the lines of "If you did this to Allah/Islam/Muslims they'd cut your head off/blow you up" etc. etc. - as if that is any sort of meaningful or useful or even relevant commentary. It appears that what the authors of such drivel are trying to say is essentially what I posted above:

"We're so lucky that our Christian brethren are such good sports and are able to react in such calm and good-humored ways to such harmless fun. Those savage Muslims, on the other hand just cannot act like civilized, rational people! It's so unfair that we westerners cannot poke fun at their deeply held beliefs without risking some sort of violent reaction! This is, of course but one more indication of the superiority of Christians and Christianity over those primitive brutes and their so-called "religion"."

but of course, none of them actually say what they mean