PDA

View Full Version : Do Guns Make People Stupid?

seanz
12-05-2015, 02:34 AM
Just a thought.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/74698170/legal-expert-defends-press-freedom-in-heather-du-plessisallan-gun-stunt

A reporter in NZ appears to have committed fraud to purchase a gun to write a story about how easy it is to obtain a gun by fraudulently circumventing gun licensing laws.

The Bigfella
12-05-2015, 02:36 AM
We seem to have plenty of examples to choose from

Glen Longino
12-05-2015, 02:37 AM
I was stupid before I ever owned a gun!
Hey, I ain't proud!:)

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
12-05-2015, 02:43 AM
Stupider maybe.

Phillip Allen
12-05-2015, 02:47 AM
there are lots of stupid hoplalphobes here... so... yes they do

skuthorp
12-05-2015, 02:55 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum

Glen Longino
12-05-2015, 03:02 AM

"lots"? Name four! Can't do it can you?
You do need to climb down off your high horse and accept yourself as a simple human being like the rest of us rather than God Almighty!
Your imaginary superior stance has become wearisome!

epoxyboy
12-05-2015, 03:04 AM
The stupid bit is loophole in the 'online' purchasing system that you can drive a truck through, and what is even more stupid is that it could be fixed so easily.

Something along the lines of visit friendly local constabulary, show firearms licence, get permit to buy one firearm. Do online order, with permit details to gun shop of choice. Gun shop contacts police to confirm permit and purchaser details, before dispatching order. Police flag permit as used. QED, loophole closed.
Or do it the old fashioned way. Get off your lazy azz, visit gun shop in person, show licence, buy gun, and off you go.

Pete

Phillip Allen
12-05-2015, 03:08 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum

Res ipsa loquitur

Phillip Allen
12-05-2015, 03:09 AM
The stupid bit is loophole in the 'online' purchasing system that you can drive a truck through, and what is even more stupid is that it could be fixed so easily.

Something along the lines of visit friendly local constabulary, show firearms licence, get permit to buy one firearm. Do online order, with permit details to gun shop of choice. Gun shop contacts police to confirm permit and purchaser details, before dispatching order. Police flag permit as used. QED, loophole closed.
Or do it the old fashioned way. Get off your lazy azz, visit gun shop in person, show licence, buy gun, and off you go.

Pete

what online purchases are you speaking of?

skuthorp
12-05-2015, 03:15 AM
Implied negligence eh Phillip? I don't think there's anything 'implied' about it.

seanz
12-05-2015, 03:16 AM

Pete

Well, yeah-nah,..there used to be a loophole where you could break the law and defend your actions by claiming that they were in the interests of the greater good.
Since the damage at the Waihopai spy base I believe that loophole has been closed.
It's a more important loophole than buying guns using a false name online. Let's face it, most illegally obtained firearms in NZ are as a result of burglary.

epoxyboy
12-05-2015, 03:19 AM
The man is trying very hard to stomp out quality investigative journalism in this country, in case you hadn't noticed.

seanz
12-05-2015, 03:20 AM
The man is trying very hard to stomp out quality investigative journalism in this country, in case you hadn't noticed.

No doubt of that.

Peerie Maa
12-05-2015, 04:34 AM
Do Guns Make People Stupid?There is a large body of evidence that breathing lead fumes, e.g. when casting your own bullets, does.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-05-2015, 04:54 AM
Post hoc ergo propter hoc?

Peerie Maa
12-05-2015, 05:11 AM
The OP reminds me of this case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliza_Armstrong_case

Michael D. Storey
12-05-2015, 09:04 AM
Instead of the gun purchase angle, I saw in the opening question, do people who have guns do more stupid things than they would have without guns. I regret that 'stupid things' is so hard to define, so subjective. How about does beer make people do more stupid things than guns do?
The consequence of stupidity with guns is huge greater than with, say, hedge trimmers. Maybe that is the angle, and the consequence of irresponsible or antisocial gun possession should be the focus.

S.V. Airlie
12-05-2015, 09:52 AM
Stupid, maybe, Brave maybe, dangerous for some, yes.

Joe (SoCal)
12-05-2015, 10:11 AM
OK So her's my idea on guns and stupidity.

The access to a gun in the time of stress or poor decision making can most certainly lead to stupidity.
We have been over this ad infinitum - the simple act of having a gun in your home makes you dramatically more likely to be involved in gun violence, than not having a gun. This is not up for debate it is simply a well known fact.

That said I think having the gun and then having the thought of a gun in the back of your mind makes even the most intelligent person THINK about it, it's impossible not to. Kinda like telling everyone who reads this post Not To Think About a Pink Elephant. - Yup you just thought about it didn't you? ;) When you think about that you have that shiny silver plated 1911 with the pearl handle in your nightstand it becomes a front of the mind choice in times of stress or poor decision making or drunk, angry or sad it then becomes a looming first choice idea.

Even the most brilliant person in a bad choice situation might make a stupid act with that shiny silver plated 1911 with the pearl handle.

Time and availability is the best friend towards living an intelligent life. Think about Barney on "The Andy Griffith Show" Now we all can agree that the character of Barney was not suposed to be the most intelligent of cast members. For that reason Andy made him carry and UNLOADED revolver and keep the single bullet in his shirt pocket. Ya see Andy knew the SMART thing was to give Barney time and deny him immediate access to a deadly weapon. Imagine how poor Otis the drunk would fair if Barney had a large capacity semi auto Sig Sauer and no time to re-think ?

The stupid person is the person who fools themselves into the false fantasy that they NEED that shiny silver plated 1911 with the pearl handle or that AR15 with the extra large banana clip for protection.
The statistics on that is an obvious stupid delusion.

Canoeyawl
12-05-2015, 01:49 PM
Yes...

"Don't take your guns to town son
Leave your guns at home Bill
Don't take your guns to town"

S.V. Airlie
12-05-2015, 01:51 PM
Stupid? Maybe! Empowered, yes!

Paul Pless
12-05-2015, 01:54 PM
Nickle plated with pearl grips. . . who do you think you are, Patton? A pimp?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-05-2015, 02:31 PM
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01448/three-golden-guns_1448989i.jpg