PDA

View Full Version : ground beef

Paul Pless
12-03-2015, 11:47 AM
All this talk of guns is making me hungry. Lets do up a definitive thread on hamburgers. Anything goes: type of meat, cooking method, seasonings, toppings and condiments, accompaniments, favourite burger joints, etc. . . etc. . .

Lew Barrett
12-03-2015, 11:53 AM
Grind my own from chuck. Use a grinder, not a food processor. Simple prep, salt and pepper and take it where you want to go from there. Cannot be beaten by any other method. I prefer a slightly coarser grind than most supermarket product gives you. Grilled is best of course, Put whatever you like on it, but I prefer to keep it simple, a bit of onion, either raw or cooked, and I'm fine with a Vidalia or Wala Wal raw, and it doesn't get much better than that. No pressing once on the grill!

pipefitter
12-03-2015, 11:55 AM
And the ultimate savior for when having forgotten to thaw the ground beef for meat loaf. . . . goulash.

Canoez
12-03-2015, 11:57 AM
Will you be hunting your own with your new AR?

S.V. Airlie
12-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Hamburger sold here doesn't make anyone overly enthusiastic to buy it. IF, I buy ground meat. I ground it myself as Lew does. As far as condiments, cheese, not American, onions, ketchup tomato..Keiser bun. Doesn't really matter what as long as it's not shoe leather. RARE!

Gerarddm
12-03-2015, 12:02 PM
Best burger I ever had was from The Black Pearl restaurant in Newport RI. Had some special mystery ingredients, I wish I knew what they were.

Paul Pless
12-03-2015, 12:02 PM
Will you be hunting your own with your new AR?rifle hunting in southern michigan is verboten

Uncle Duke
12-03-2015, 12:03 PM
Heston Blumenthal did one of the "In Search of Perfection" episodes on burgers - well worth watching. He covers, in a pretty careful manner, everything from what mix of beef to use, to how to grind correctly (important to keep the strands which come out of the grinder in line with each other!), to optimum thickness, etc., etc., etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WPq5jtW5J0

TomF
I think doing 'em like a full pig barbeque would be the best bet.

What have you got against Germans anyway?

S.V. Airlie
Best burger I ever had was from The Black Pearl restaurant in Newport RI. Had some special mystery ingredients, I wish I knew what they were.I've eaten there. A bit pricey though.

John of Phoenix
12-03-2015, 12:07 PM
I see Kobe beef is all the rage in restaurants and food stores and it's ridiculously priced. I find it tasteless and dry. Gimme some fat - a nice juicy burger off the grill.

Canoez
12-03-2015, 12:08 PM
rifle hunting in southern michigan is verboten

Bazooka? Hunt and mince in one operation.

Paul Pless
12-03-2015, 12:12 PM
I've eaten there. A bit pricey though.i've eaten there with you :D

John of Phoenix
12-03-2015, 12:18 PM
Bazooka? Hunt and mince in one operation.This is catchin' on. Pretty soon we'll have us a Movement.

ron ll
12-03-2015, 12:21 PM
I buy beefalo. No, it's not meat mixed from two critters, it is meat from two mixed critters.

pkrone
12-03-2015, 12:21 PM
I've gotten into making turkey/chorizo burgers lately. Served with a big slice of tomato and a smear of guac. Yum.

Paul Pless
12-03-2015, 12:24 PM
does pork fat belong in a proper hamburger grind?

Bobby of Tulsa
12-03-2015, 12:25 PM
I just bought two pounds of 90/10 ground beef and made some really good jerky in my dehydrator. yummo

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-03-2015, 12:32 PM
rifle hunting in southern michigan is verboten

How you going to score your "Two game wardens, seven hunters and a pure bred jersey cow"?

David G
12-03-2015, 12:34 PM
Isn't it ALL ground beef? I don't think any of our bovine brothers fly. Unless, of course, they are hitching a ride with chickens in choppers...

Paul Pless
12-03-2015, 12:35 PM
How you going to score your "Two game wardens, seven hunters and a pure bred jesey cow"?How is it a Welshman knows this joke?

S.V. Airlie
12-03-2015, 12:40 PM
Joke! TRY song!

Paul Pless
12-03-2015, 12:43 PM
a thread crying for the attention of 'the mustang chef'. . .

Norman Bernstein
12-03-2015, 12:45 PM
I've never been especially picky about hamburgers, myself.... about the only thing I try to do is get ground beef with at least 20% fat... which is actually hard to find. I'm nowhere near enthusiastic enough to actually grind my own.

ron ll
12-03-2015, 12:49 PM
My complaint is that it seems most restaurants anymore, even the nicer ones with $15 hamburgers, all use the same dumbed down gray frozen beef/cereal crap patties. Seems the trend has been to slather so much "fixin's" on it no one will notice how terrible the meat is.

Paul Pless
12-03-2015, 12:53 PM
Heston Blumenthal did one of the "In Search of Perfection" episodes on burgers - well worth watching. He covers, in a pretty careful manner, everything from what mix of beef to use, to how to grind correctly (important to keep the strands which come out of the grinder in line with each other!), to optimum thickness, etc., etc., etc...
sweet jesus what a bit of analality that was

but wonderfully so!

Paul Pless
12-03-2015, 12:54 PM
My complaint is that it seems most restaurants anymore, even the nicer ones with $15 hamburgers, all use the same dumbed down gray frozen beef/cereal crap patties. Seems the trend has been to slather so much "fixin's" on it no one will notice how terrible the meat is.watch that video uncle duke posted

oznabrag
12-03-2015, 01:01 PM
does pork fat belong in a proper hamburger grind?

I've mixed a good, sweet Italian sausage with ground beef for grilled burgers.

1/3 sausage, 2/3 beef, as I recall.

It was delicious!

I think I'm hawngrih now!

Bobby of Tulsa
12-03-2015, 01:41 PM
I've never been especially picky about hamburgers, myself.... about the only thing I try to do is get ground beef with at least 20% fat... which is actually hard to find. I'm nowhere near enthusiastic enough to actually grind my own. The 20% stuff is just about all you will find in my part of the world, for some things I make I want more fat that 20%.

john welsford
12-03-2015, 02:09 PM
I get the low grade stuff, its got enough fat in it for flavour, add a little beef stock, garlic salt, some stock made with bayleaf, a tiny bit of soy sauce, some chopped red onion and some crumbled blue cheese. Quantities need to be such that no one flavour overpowers the others. Exceptional! Son won the burger build challenge two years running at his school cooking class with this.
The kids used to call my home made hamburgers "McDaddies". Much preferred to the other Mc burgers.

John Welsford.

All this talk of guns is making me hungry. Lets do up a definitive thread on hamburgers. Anything goes: type of meat, cooking method, seasonings, toppings and condiments, accompaniments, favourite burger joints, etc. . . etc. . .