PDA

View Full Version : Mahogany four poster bed. timber rejuvenation and slats

Rum_Pirate
12-03-2015, 10:21 AM
The saga continues:

Mahogany rejuvenation

I shall be removing the 'bed-bolts' and moving the bed to my house.

The surface of the mahogany appears to be somewhat (I should post pictures) faded/waterstained/sunshine etc.

The head and foot boards are large flat surfaces.

I was considering plain old furniture oil OR beeswax , BUT since you all came up trumps (no pun intended) with the bolt removal suggestions:

1. What is the best way/thing to rejuvenate the mahogany?

BED SLATS

The bed slats (+/- 5'0" long) are missing.

Planning to use nominal 1" thick slats, and a little over 4" wide made of Wolmanised Pitch Pine (WPP).

2. Or should I use White Pine?

I don't want the mattress to sag by spacing them too far apart, I also want the mattress to be able to 'breathe', so can't space them too closely.

3. What is the best suggested spacing between them?

Phil Y
12-03-2015, 03:11 PM
What's Womanised pitch pine? Sounds perfect for a four poster anyway.

Keith Wilson
12-03-2015, 03:28 PM
'Wolmanized' is what in the US we'd call 'pressure-treated' with copper salts, to keep it from rotting in outdoor applications. I wouldn't use it for a bed; the stuff that kills fungus is unnecessary, smells funny, and probably won't be good for your mattress. Use white pine.

Space 'em 2-1/8" apart. That number is a result of exhaustive stress analysis and calculations involving differential equations, Laplace transforms and all sorts of exotic math. (Actually, I just made it up, but it sounds good, eh? :d)

skuthorp
12-03-2015, 04:53 PM
Is there enough mahogany in the bed to at least build parts of a boat?

Rum_Pirate
12-07-2015, 07:31 AM
Is there enough mahogany in the bed to at least build parts of a boat?

I have a number of other pieces of furniture, including but not limited to an ex-prison desk (1" thick planks about 4'0" x 10" wide and 2.5" square legs), a great coat & hat stand - needs one leg and two 'hooks' and one 'leg' (ex-prison timber may be used for that), one beautifully spiralled fourposter bed post (wish I had the other three posts) plus some assorted other bits including two wardrobes in poor condition (mahogany is OK).

skuthorp
12-07-2015, 07:41 AM
Wardrobes eh? Put an outboard on one, bit of sikaflex, viola…..a boat!

(well if it's good enough for a table………..
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bN9se-ul_aE/TL7V1-C4ELI/AAAAAAAACw0/-XxsGCzubkc/s400/Outboard+on+table.JPG

Peerie Maa
12-07-2015, 07:52 AM
I've just measured the slats on two of our beds.
The double has a mid line span breaker ans hard wood slats. 3/4 in (2cm) thick, 1 3/4 in (4.5 cm) wide and 3 in (7.5 cm) space covering 30in (75cm) span.
The other is a single with pine slats, 3/4in (2cm) thick, 2 3/4in (7 cm) wide and 1in (2.5 cm) space, on a 4 foot span.

If there is no mid line span breaker, I would certainly up the thickness to a full inch.

Rum_Pirate
12-15-2015, 01:49 PM
Used 1" x 3" white pine slats with +/- 3/4" spacing.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/Rum_Pirate/DSCN3005_zpshf2kjajv.jpg (http://s225.photobucket.com/user/Rum_Pirate/media/DSCN3005_zpshf2kjajv.jpg.html)