Paul Pless
11-30-2015, 07:36 AM
yeah that baby is based in newport

Gerarddm
11-30-2015, 08:22 AM
Weatherly?

ahp
11-30-2015, 12:16 PM
I believe EASTERNER was finish bright, but it could be another. I never sailed a 12, just a J.

slug
11-30-2015, 12:18 PM
That looks like the Morgan designed Hertitage

Michael D. Storey
11-30-2015, 01:18 PM
That looks like the Morgan designed HertitageMy guess too. She came out of that era when the snub nosed prow was the rage.
On another slightly related note, today, following the opinion of a denizen of the Bilge, I have found US 10, and am delighted to report that money has been poured into her. She floats, and in the words of the marina, she is looking pretty good for an old lady. This might be the proverbial sulphur up the skirt, or it might be true. Maybe she isn't supported by ropes and mud, but the working of Archemedes. I will see her on the 26th of December, and will file a report, keeping in mind the words of the Bard of Chesapeake Beach, Maryland, 'No pix, it didn't happen.'

Dan McCosh
11-30-2015, 04:31 PM
My guess too. She came out of that era when the snub nosed prow was the rage.
On another slightly related note, today, following the opinion of a denizen of the Bilge, I have found US 10, and am delighted to report that money has been poured into her. She floats, and in the words of the marina, she is looking pretty good for an old lady. This might be the proverbial sulphur up the skirt, or it might be true. Maybe she isn't supported by ropes and mud, but the working of Archemedes. I will see her on the 26th of December, and will file a report, keeping in mind the words of the Bard of Chesapeake Beach, Maryland, 'No pix, it didn't happen.' The last time I saw her, about a month ago, Matena (US 10) was lacking planking on the port side, and much of the structure needed replacing--stem, etc.. I can't imagine this was completed and the boat launched in a month. It did appear considerable work had been done this summer, however. I'm wondering if there is some confusion with some other wooden boats in the area being restored.

Michael D. Storey
11-30-2015, 04:43 PM
The last time I saw her, about a month ago, Matena (US 10) was lacking planking on the port side, and much of the structure needed replacing--stem, etc.. I can't imagine this was completed and the boat launched in a month. It did appear considerable work had been done this summer, however. I'm wondering if there is some confusion with some other wooden boats in the area being restored.Well hush my mouf. I spoke to 'Mark' and he sed she was afloat. He said that Mitena was the 'biggest boat in the pond' At 73 feet, I figured that we were talking about they same boat. Maybe not. As long as she is indeed at Desmond's, I am sure that I will find her.
You can not possibly imagine how much better I feel about this. I have seen plenty of derelicts; too many, in fact. Other peoples memories. Mitena is my memory.

SchoonerRat
11-30-2015, 04:53 PM
I believe EASTERNER was finish bright, but it could be another. I never sailed a 12, just a J.

Easterner, nee Newsboy, nee Easterner was from the era before knuckle bows. I sailed against her often when she was on the left coast, as Newsboy.

When I sailed Kelpie, she wore a number of Newsboy's cast off and rebuilt sails.

Dan McCosh
11-30-2015, 05:16 PM
Well hush my mouf. I spoke to 'Mark' and he sed she was afloat. He said that Mitena was the 'biggest boat in the pond' At 73 feet, I figured that we were talking about they same boat. Maybe not. As long as she is indeed at Desmond's, I am sure that I will find her.
You can not possibly imagine how much better I feel about this. I have seen plenty of derelicts; too many, in fact. Other peoples memories. Mitena is my memory.

To hazard a guess, there is a 45 ft. Alden Malabar Jr. schooner at Desmond's, which has a checkered history including a long stint being rebuilt by an old friend of mine. She was launched two years ago, and is sailing now, after going through a lot of changes in ownership. She was in the yard there for many years. I wouldn't be surprised if that was what he was referring to. Mitena actually isn't at Desmond's--she is in a lot south of Desmond's storage area.